Redshift ShockStop seatpost and stem installed

I can't remember the diameter ,but it was slightly larger than the Redshift stem. Redshift did tell me that they're working on a stem that will fit my bike.

Cruiser style handlebars will definitely help with better ergonomic positions for your arms, hands, and wrists.
The stem riser and high angle stem will help with your back, neck, and shoulders. Here are a few suggestions: Hope this helps!

AmazonSmile : UPANBIKE Urban Road Bike Retro Handlebar Moustache Shape Extra Wide Dutch M Shape (25.4mm600mm) : Sports & Outdoors
AmazonSmile : MAGARROW Bike Stem Riser Handlebar Riser Adaptor Bicycle Fork Stem Extender Aluminium Alloy, 3 × 10mm, 1 × 5mm (Black) : Sports & Outdoors
AmazonSmile : FOMTOR Bike Stem 31.8mm 45 Degree Bicycle Handlebar Stem Riser MTB Stem Suitable for Mountain Bike Road Bike BMX MTB (31.8 x 90mm) : Sports & Outdoors

1611798759113.png
1611798683049.png
1611798457009.png

Last edited:
I should add, the team at Redshift are extremely responsive and helpful on a personal level. Great customer service.
Did you buy the shock stop seatpost direct from Redshift? It seems difficult to find in Canada.

Yes, directly from them in the U.S. It was easy, and their service is great. I think it was Eric I spoke to, one of the owners. They are really committed.
I also spoke with Eric at Redshift and can confirm that their customer service is top-notch. 😉

Last edited:
Did you buy the shock stop seatpost direct from Redshift? It seems difficult to find in Canada.
I had no problem ordering from Canada either. Ordered the stem and seatpost on Monday morning, and I was riding with them installed on Friday.

I had no problem ordering from Canada either. Ordered the stem and seatpost on Monday morning, and I was riding with them installed on Friday.
Was there any custom duty fees ? Emailed Kyler at Redshift and he said 5 % on the order but he is not shure and he would like my feedback if I buy direct from them. I could also buy from Amazone.ca for $344.00

Was there any custom duty fees ? Emailed Kyler at Redshift and he said 5 % on the order but he is not shure and he would like my feedback if I buy direct from them. I could also buy from Amazone.ca for $344.00
It was an additional $80.44 which included DHL Duties, Taxes and Fees (I paid extra for DHL shipping). This was for the stem, seatpost, post shim, and computer mount.

You are correct, mine is the +30 degree, 100mm version. The part that grips the steering tube is 40mm, the angled part that holds the handlebars is roughly 100mm. I thought it might end up with the bars a bit lower than I previously had my Bontrager adjustable stem, but it seems pretty close to what I had before... the angle is good for me. I am using the most flexible of the inserts (one only) and it hasn’t bottomed out.

I added one 5mm spacer below the ShockStop. If the ShockStop is too high for a rider, some spacers could go on top of, rather than below the unit (Rather than having to cut the steering post off).
I have a Trek Verve +3 same has you. Beside adding a 5mm spacer, what additional parts did you have to buy to complete the setup for your Shockstop stem installation.

I have a Trek Verve +3 same has you. Beside adding a 5mm spacer, what additional parts did you have to buy to complete the setup for your Shockstop stem installation.
No additional parts were needed. I have probably added more than 2500 km since making this change, and it has been flawless Ron.65

Here is a good comparison blog on various suspension seat posts... 😉
ShockStop Seatpost vs. Thudbuster, Bodyfloat, Suntour NCX and Specialized CG-R – Redshift Sports

View attachment 77569
The ShockStop and BodyFloat seatposts are both designed to "float" the saddle within the travel of the suspension, isolating the rider from vibrations as well as larger impacts. Both utilize linkage-based designs with 35mm of stated travel, and they’re similar in weight (ShockStop 497g, Bodyfloat 525g). Despite these similarities, there are some meaningful differences between the two designs:
  • Preload Adjustment vs. Suspension Travel - Both the ShockStop and BodyFloat allow the user to adjust spring preload (the amount of force required to make the saddle start moving), but the way that the adjustment is accomplished is very different.
  • With the BodyFloat, as you increase preload, the linkages compress downward, which means that you lose suspension travel as you increase preload. If you’re toward the upper end of the weight range for a given spring setup, or if you want to ride a more traditional, stiffer-feeling setup, you’ll have dramatically reduced suspension travel available when you encounter a larger impact.
  • With the ShockStop Seatpost, the preload adjustment is accomplished by compressing the spring upward from the bottom of the post. This means that the travel range of the linkages is unaffected by preload - you always have the full 35mm of travel available regardless of where the preload is set.

"The Suntour NCX is a linkage-based design with an internal coil spring, but there are some pretty big differences between the Suntour and the ShockStop:

• Adjustability - The ShockStop and the Suntour both allow the user to adjust the spring preload (the amount of force required to make the saddle start moving), but with the Suntour, the stiffness of the spring is one-size-fits all. Whether you're 100lb or 250lb, you're stuck riding the same spring stiffness, which means that the vast majority of people aren't able to adjust the suspension performance properly.'
That claim of only one spring type might be true about buying from most sellers, but I bought an extra spring, so I have one soft and one medium or "regular" spring for my Suntour and there is a stiffer spring as well.

No additional parts were needed. I have probably added more than 2500 km since making this change, and it has been flawless Ron.65
There is only a rubber cap at the end of my Bontrager ajustable stem and on your photo I see a round metal cap, is that cap included in the ShockStop stem kit?

There is only a rubber cap at the end of my Bontrager ajustable stem and on your photo I see a round metal cap, is that cap included in the ShockStop stem kit?
Sorry, you are right. I did purchase that metal cap when I got the spacer set from Trek (had to buy a set to get the one I needed). It doesn’t come with the ShockStop.

Sorry, you are right. I did purchase that metal cap when I got the spacer set from Trek (had to buy a set to get the one I needed). It doesn’t come with the ShockStop.
Thanks Latitude, it was an easy decision to buy the Redshift seatpost but for the Redshift stem it is not as easy due to the upright position on the Verve I am not convinced on the efficiency. Could you give me a feedback on your experience.

Thanks Latitude, it was an easy decision to buy the Redshift seatpost but for the Redshift stem it is not as easy due to the upright position on the Verve I am not convinced on the efficiency. Could you give me a feedback on your experience.
I have attached a side photo of the installation on my Verve. I have found the stem to be quite effective at absorbing bumps and particularly, vibration that made my hands numb much faster with the original stem. You can feel the stem flexing while riding; not significantly but noticeably. The motion goes forward as much as down because of the upright nature of the stem. I used only the most flexible (yellow) elastomer insert for maximum movement.

Attachments

• 13AB53A2-9715-4B69-836A-FAD5BFE3770D.jpeg
    13AB53A2-9715-4B69-836A-FAD5BFE3770D.jpeg
    240.7 KB · Views: 312
I have attached a side photo of the installation on my Verve. I have found the stem to be quite effective at absorbing bumps and particularly, vibration that made my hands numb much faster with the original stem. You can feel the stem flexing while riding; not significantly but noticeably. The motion goes forward as much as down because of the upright nature of the stem. I used only the most flexible (yellow) elastomer insert for maximum movement.
I also found this to be true. I have the same Redshift 30 degree rise stem on my Pedego Interceptor. I have the bike set for upright riding and the stem more than doubles the time it takes for wrist numbness to develop. 50+ mile rides are now possible with little or no wrist discomfort.

I also use the soft elastomer for maximum flex. This absorbs most of the high frequency vibration. For me anyway, this vibration is the major contributor of wrist numbness.

I also found this to be true. I have the same Redshift 30 degree rise stem on my Pedego Interceptor. I have the bike set for upright riding and the stem more than doubles the time it takes for wrist numbness to develop. 50+ mile rides are now possible with little or no wrist discomfort.

I also use the soft elastomer for maximum flex. This absorbs most of the high frequency vibration. For me anyway, this vibration is the major contributor of wrist numbness.
I third this sentiment.

I have the same 30 degree stem and the 70 elastomer (3rd softest), and can now do all day rides with no wrist discomfort.

Back