Redshift ShockStop seatpost and stem installed

Good to hear you will be back on the bike! ;)

Does the single elastomer provide balanced shock absorption... ie., even damping on both the right and left sides of the handlebars?

I will let you know after my ride tomorrow. Just got clearance for riding, golf and swimming. (and some indoor sports we cant mention on this family friendly forum!)

From my research, and almost certain imminent purchase, the elastomers do seem to take a few rides to bed in and soften. For those with the 6’ stem I’d suggest you don’t jump straight to the softest elastomers, and give the medium range ones time to get run in

From my research, and almost certain imminent purchase, the elastomers do seem to take a few rides to bed in and soften. For those with the 6’ stem I’d suggest you don’t jump straight to the softest elastomers, and give the medium range ones time to get run in
I have been riding for a couple thousand km on my ShockStop seat post and stem now, and agree percymon. There is lots of time to finesse the settings and inserts. Meanwhile, both will serve you much better than rigid posts or stems. I did a 35 km ride through my nearby Provincial Park including many km of newly readied cross country grassy ski trails. I could feel the difference the Redshift components were making quite frequently. My bike is basically a commuter one, but these additions make it very capable on moderately challenging trails. And comfortable on roads.

Attachments

• 6DD9C978-A157-41DD-9E1A-04036BFA4887.jpeg
    6DD9C978-A157-41DD-9E1A-04036BFA4887.jpeg
    607.1 KB · Views: 338
Last edited:
This is a nice upgrade.

This week, I installed the 30deg/100mm stem on my Mongoose Envoy.

By default, the stem comes installed with a pair of elastomers. The 60 (orange) and 70 (blue). I pulled the 70 and left the 60 installed. I took a ride and it seemed squishy. The next day, I pulled the 60 and replaced with the 70. The ride was better but seemed a bit stiff as I'd already been 'softened' by the 60 the day before.

I reinstalled the 60 and that's where I stayed. The movement of the handle bar is a bit strange at first. You'll get used to it and for the better. Minor imperfections on the sidewalks, roads, and trails are now tamed.

Last edited:
I've also set my stem up with a softer elastomer. I can feel the bar move slightly, but after putting a couple hundred km on the bike it doesn't bother me. On the other hand, riding on gravel feels better.

I have the elastomer type bar stem but went with the Kinekt seat post. Can somebody compare the different type of seat posts? I find it hard to imagine how elastomers can provide the type of shock absorption, given the weight on the seat, that springs can provide with the Kinekt. thanks :)

I have the elastomer type bar stem but went with the Kinekt seat post. Can somebody compare the different type of seat posts? I find it hard to imagine how elastomers can provide the type of shock absorption, given the weight on the seat, that springs can provide with the Kinekt. thanks :)
I have the RedShift elastomer suspension stem and both the Kinekt 2.1 spring seatpost as well as the Thudbuster LT elastomer seat post. I find the Kinekt and Thudbuster posts to be nearly equal in performance. For rougher trails, I prefer the Thudbuster LT with it's 3" of travel, twice that of the Kinekt. For smoother rides, I usually go with the Kinekt since it is more easily adjustable.

Spring posts, like the Kinekt, have an advantage in that they can be fine tuned with an adjustment screw. Elastomer posts require choosing the right elastomer for optimum performance and changing them can be tricky depending on the manufacturer.

The choice is a personal one since every rider has different needs & expectations.

I ordered the stem and 25.4/31.8 shim on Saturday. The stem arrived on Wednesday. And the shim, shipped separately, and was delivered Thursday. So... pretty quick turnaround.

3_stanmiller_redshift_step_envoy.jpg

The install video is well worth the 20 minutes view time. The written instructions are well meaning, but nothing beats a good visual.

I ordered the stem and 25.4/31.8 shim on Saturday. The stem arrived on Wednesday. And the shim, shipped separately, and was delivered Thursday. So... pretty quick turnaround.

View attachment 77567

The install video is well worth the 20 minutes view time. The written instructions are well meaning, but nothing beats a good visual.

I got the same stem. Like it. Went way down on the elastomers though to get any real noticeable movement.

I have the elastomer type bar stem but went with the Kinekt seat post. Can somebody compare the different type of seat posts?
I find it hard to imagine how elastomers can provide the type of shock absorption, given the weight on the seat, that springs can provide with the Kinekt. thanks :)
Here is a good comparison blog on various suspension seat posts... 😉
ShockStop Seatpost vs. Thudbuster, Bodyfloat, Suntour NCX and Specialized CG-R – Redshift Sports

1611630300273.png

The ShockStop and BodyFloat seatposts are both designed to "float" the saddle within the travel of the suspension, isolating the rider from vibrations as well as larger impacts. Both utilize linkage-based designs with 35mm of stated travel, and they’re similar in weight (ShockStop 497g, Bodyfloat 525g). Despite these similarities, there are some meaningful differences between the two designs:
  • Preload Adjustment vs. Suspension Travel - Both the ShockStop and BodyFloat allow the user to adjust spring preload (the amount of force required to make the saddle start moving), but the way that the adjustment is accomplished is very different.
  • With the BodyFloat, as you increase preload, the linkages compress downward, which means that you lose suspension travel as you increase preload. If you’re toward the upper end of the weight range for a given spring setup, or if you want to ride a more traditional, stiffer-feeling setup, you’ll have dramatically reduced suspension travel available when you encounter a larger impact.
  • With the ShockStop Seatpost, the preload adjustment is accomplished by compressing the spring upward from the bottom of the post. This means that the travel range of the linkages is unaffected by preload - you always have the full 35mm of travel available regardless of where the preload is set.

Come on, FlatSix... Do you ride any of them or just read blogs? :)
This is a non-rhetoric question.

Here is a good comparison blog on various suspension seat posts... 😉
ShockStop Seatpost vs. Thudbuster, Bodyfloat, Suntour NCX and Specialized CG-R – Redshift Sports

View attachment 77569
The ShockStop and BodyFloat seatposts are both designed to "float" the saddle within the travel of the suspension, isolating the rider from vibrations as well as larger impacts. Both utilize linkage-based designs with 35mm of stated travel, and they’re similar in weight (ShockStop 497g, Bodyfloat 525g). Despite these similarities, there are some meaningful differences between the two designs:
  • Preload Adjustment vs. Suspension Travel - Both the ShockStop and BodyFloat allow the user to adjust spring preload (the amount of force required to make the saddle start moving), but the way that the adjustment is accomplished is very different.
  • With the BodyFloat, as you increase preload, the linkages compress downward, which means that you lose suspension travel as you increase preload. If you’re toward the upper end of the weight range for a given spring setup, or if you want to ride a more traditional, stiffer-feeling setup, you’ll have dramatically reduced suspension travel available when you encounter a larger impact.
  • With the ShockStop Seatpost, the preload adjustment is accomplished by compressing the spring upward from the bottom of the post. This means that the travel range of the linkages is unaffected by preload - you always have the full 35mm of travel available regardless of where the preload is set.
THIS NEW FTB I have has full suspension,if my neck gets sore again I may add one of these wonderful things, can you recommend one?The last trip up the "Road of perdition" had my neck screaming for 2 wks( may just stay off this road in the future)

THIS NEW FTB I have has full suspension,if my neck gets sore again I may add one of these wonderful things, can you recommend one?
The last trip up the "Road of perdition" had my neck screaming for 2 wks( may just stay off this road in the future)
If your neck is sore with a full suspension bike then I would recommend making your riding position more upright.
Take a look at a Stem Riser and a high angle 45' Degree Stem to bring your handlebars higher relative to your seat.

Are Stem Risers Safe? And Other Ways To Increase Handlebar Height - (easymountainbiking.com)

Last edited:
FlatSix: So you never rode a Cirrus Cycles Kinekt 2.1. It comes with spare springs for different rider's weight. When I started losing weight, I replaced the "heaviest" spring with a lighter one. Then I started gaining weight again. And you know what? If my e-bike is ridden on-road, the Kinekt 2.1 on my Vado is almost as plush as the advanced FOX rear damper in my Giant Trance E+.

I'd expect less anecdotal quotes from you. I simply respect you more :) "Du kan bättre" /Swedish: You can do it better/ :)

FlatSix: So you never rode a Cirrus Cycles Kinekt 2.1. It comes with spare springs for different rider's weight. When I started losing weight, I replaced the "heaviest" spring with a lighter one. Then I started gaining weight again. And you know what? If my e-bike is ridden on-road, the Kinekt 2.1 on my Vado is almost as plush as the advanced FOX rear damper in my Giant Trance E+.

I'd expect less anecdotal quotes from you. I simply respect you more :) "Du kan bättre" /Swedish: You can do it better/ :)
I've ridden a Kinekt (on someone else's bike), but have a Shockstop. They feel VERY similar (the ShockStop comes with a spare spring adding to the preload as well). The ShockStop might be a little more "even" in it's absorption compared to the Kinekt, but I wasn't riding in super rough terrain.

I probably would have gone with a Kinekt, but it (like most active suspension posts) required more clearance between the seat clamp and seat rails than I had, by about 15mm IIRC. Almost every active suspension seat post I looked at, from cheap to most expensive, was similar if not worse in this dimension, except the Redshift. By putting the springs in the seat tube, it not only really cuts back on the minimum height requirements, but it also doesn't change seat angle when adjusting preload.

You can see the difference in the pic @FlatSix911 posted. For anyone shopping for a suspension post, and doesn't have a TON of exposed seat post, this is worth keeping in mind.

It also helps that the Redshift is a FANTASTICALLY clean design compared to the rest. :)

In the end though, you really can't go wrong with either, and this guy's review sums them up pretty well.

I've thought about buying a Redshift seat post for my carbon road bike, but when it comes to my road bike I'm a bit of a weight weanie. I'd like to go with the Cane Creek eeSilk, but it hasn't been in stock for a long time.
I did order another Redshift suspension stem for my road bike but had to return it. Most bikes have a 28.6mm steering clamp diameter, but mine steering clamp has a larger diameter.

I've thought about buying a Redshift seat post for my carbon road bike, but when it comes to my road bike I'm a bit of a weight weanie. I'd like to go with the Cane Creek eeSilk, but it hasn't been in stock for a long time.
I did order another Redshift suspension stem for my road bike but had to return it. Most bikes have a 28.6mm steering clamp diameter, but mine steering clamp has a larger diameter.
What size steerer tube do you have?

Back