Redshift ShockStop seatpost and stem installed

Regardless of the model, the suspension travel is up 20mm for drop bars and 10mm for flat bars. Different elastomers are there for feel only, soft to firm.

Interesting that there is 10 cm more travel on the drop bars than the flat bars... must be the additional leverage on the drops.

Regardless of the model the suspension travel is up 20mm for drop bars and 10mm for flat bars. Different elastomers are there for feel only, soft to firm.
I just meant that with the Lectric XP geometry, the rider is more likely to be pushing the handlebars forward rather than down. An upward angle on the ShockStop may be the only way to get much movement from it on that bike?

Interesting that there is 10 cm more travel on the drop bars than the flat bars... must be the additional leverage on the drops.
I think so... more weight on the stem. More travel. As evidenced by the Redshift recommendation to use just one elastomer on the 30 degree model.

Thanks I just ordered it. Hopefully, I can figure out a way to install it!

I do not believe it will fit because your bike does not have a stem in the traditional sense, unless perhaps the tube diameter of the telescoping section happens to be the 25.4mm, in which case you could attach it to the mast. You would of course have the unused handlebar mount sticking up which would look odd but not impair the stem otherwise.

I do not believe it will fit because your bike does not have a stem in the traditional sense, unless perhaps the tube diameter of the telescoping section happens to be the 25.4mm, in which case you could attach it to the mast. You would of course have the unused handlebar mount sticking up which would look odd but not impair the stem otherwise.

I think I just figured that out. I may try it on my Espin Sport or send it back...

I think so... more weight on the stem. More travel. As evidenced by the Redshift recommendation to use just one elastomer on the 30 degree model.

Agreed... I found this photo on their website that shows the 20 cm deflection on the drop bars... easy to now see the flat bars would flex less. ;)

1599445377692.png

I have been using the Redshift ShockStop stem for about a week, and today my new ShockStop seatpost arrived. Took the bike for a ride over some rough patches I usually prefer to skirt around. I am very impressed with both of these additions! Together they do just what they say: Take the shock out of a rigid suspension. The ride is much more enjoyable now, and still without any excessive bob or bounce. I’m a VERY happy customer!

View attachment 64219

Just installed the Redshift 30 degree stem on my acoustic bike. As much to get the rise and get the bars back a tad as anything else. I have suspension forks. It is perfect. Seems kinda stiff and I may have to fiddle with the elastomers to get just a tad more movement but I'll wait to see if it softens up a bit as is. My bike fits me much better now. I can sit more upright but still not straight up. Got some pressure off my hands, elbows and shoulders. My bike is a Specialized XC. Ten years old. This XL frame is probably a tad large for me but I like big bikes. The reach is just right now with the stem. 👍 👍 👍

Just installed the Redshift 30 degree stem on my acoustic bike. As much to get the rise and get the bars back a tad as anything else. I have suspension forks. It is perfect. Seems kinda stiff and I may have to fiddle with the elastomers to get just a tad more movement but I'll wait to see if it softens up a bit as is. My bike fits me much better now. I can sit more upright but still not straight up. Got some pressure off my hands, elbows and shoulders. My bike is a Specialized XC. Ten years old. This XL frame is probably a tad large for me but I like big bikes. The reach is just right now with the stem. 👍 👍 👍

Wait, you have a suspension stem and fork?! Google harmonic frequencies... ;)

I wonder if the suspension stem would add more comfort to my already pretty comfortable Espin Sport? I ordered a Redshift a few weeks ago and sent it back after I read somewhere that you do not need a Redshift if you already have a front suspension. Now I am wondering again...

I wonder if the suspension stem would add more comfort to my already pretty comfortable Espin Sport? I ordered a Redshift a few weeks ago and sent it back after I read somewhere that you do not need a Redshift if you already have a front suspension. Now I am wondering again...

There's no way to know but by experimentation. Right now mine is so stiff it only moves like half an inch and that's if I put full force on the bars. They say they soften a bit with break-in. My experience is front suspension does not take all the 'shock' out of what you feel at the grips. My theory was it can't hurt to find out if this stem along with my front forks helps. Even if the shock absorbing function proves useless it was always the 30 degree elevation I was mostly after. :)

I ordered a Redshift suspension stem for my road bike, but I may first mount it on my new Cannondale Topstone Neo Lefty 3, which has a single front shock with only 3cm of travel. The shock works okay, but I'd still like a bit more 'smoothing out', for lack of a better term, with the front end.

I have been using the Redshift ShockStop stem for about a week, and today my new ShockStop seatpost arrived. Took the bike for a ride over some rough patches I usually prefer to skirt around. I am very impressed with both of these additions! Together they do just what they say: Take the shock out of a rigid suspension. The ride is much more enjoyable now, and still without any excessive bob or bounce. I’m a VERY happy customer!

View attachment 64219
Thank been looking for something like that.

I installed the Redshift stem on my Lefty 3 a couple of days ago and yesterday I went for a 70km ride (mostly pavement, but some gravel pathways and roads).
My first impression is it smooths out the ride slightly. It's barely noticeable, but enough that I'll keep it on the bike for awhile.

I followed Redshift's recommendations on which elastomers to use, but I find the stem movement to be almost non-existent. Even when the front brake on and press down hard on the handlebar I can barely get the stem to move.
Today I'm going to change the elastomers for a lighter weight rider and go for another ride to see if I notice any difference.

I installed the Redshift stem on my Lefty 3 a couple of days ago and yesterday I went for a 70km ride (mostly pavement, but some gravel pathways and roads).
My first impression is it smooths out the ride slightly. It's barely noticeable, but enough that I'll keep it on the bike for awhile.

I followed Redshift's recommendations on which elastomers to use, but I find the stem movement to be almost non-existent. Even when the front brake on and press down hard on the handlebar I can barely get the stem to move.
Today I'm going to change the elastomers for a lighter weight rider and go for another ride to see if I notice any difference.
I went with the lightest elastomer on mine. There is not a lot of movement in it, but a definite softening of bumps and vibrations overall.

I've seen a few reviews/comments suggesting going one step lighter than Redshift's recommended elastomers based on bar type/rider weight.

I found the sweet spot for me was two steps lighter, but that's because my bars have some sweepback, which can lessen the effect.

It stands to reason that every bike and every rider is going to have different results with these products. In my case, I have Rockshox 30 Gold front forks and noticed a big improvement in wrist discomfort when I added the 30 degree Redshift suspension stem. I have just enough pressure in the air shocks to keep from bottoming out on the rough stretches and I'm using a single, soft elastomer in the Redshift.

Wrist numbness used to be the limiting factor in how long and how far I could comfortably ride. I've tried just about every product you can think of with only a marginal improvement. Gel gloves, different handlebar height & angle, stem risers, suspension seatposts all helped but the single biggest improvement I noticed was when I installed the Redshift. On many long rides I now get little or no wrist numbness at all.

The Rockshox front suspension does a great job of absorbing major shocks but does little for high frequency vibration. This is where the Redshift product really makes a difference. I realize I may be unique with these results so take my experience for what it's worth.

BigNerd, I have gel-padded biking gloves and (for me) it doesn't make a difference.

The lighter elastomers are installed and I'll take her for another ride today. Just by pressing down on the handlebars I can already see/feel more flex.

I am installing my Redshift stem later this afternoon on Espin Sport with front suspension. Hopefully, I get cleared to ride this weekend. Will report...

Reactions: BET
Back