Redshift ShockStop seatpost and stem installed

I just installed mine and it doesn't budge a lick. Am I supposed to install the little rubber wedgie lookin gizmos?

Does it come stock preloaded with the wedge and elastomers? I just watched the video...
Looks like the threaded wedge comes installed preloaded and additional elastomers are separate.

1604362782985.png

Last edited:
Just finished changing out my elastomers. Redshift's suggestions based on weight and handlebar type are bunkum. My stem came supposedly configured to my weight and the stem might just have well been welded solid. No movement. None.

There is very little movement on the 30 degree stem with flat handlebars, unless the lightest elastomer is installed. But, I have now travelled over 4500 km in 4 months on my Trek Verve + 3, probably at least 2/3 of this on grassy and gravel trails in my relatively flat terrain here. The Redshift stem and seat post have transformed my commuter bike into a respectable trail bike (along with knobbier tires and sticky pedals).
The bike is still great for street commuting, going into winter here now.
I love the look of the Powerfly! But it’s not in my budget currently.

Did the new elastomers fix the problem?
Seems like it. I had to go with only one elastomer. The next to lightest one. Now this may turn out to get too mushy and I go back up a notch but it's easy to do after you figure it out. The tricky part is you have to push down on the stem just a tad to properly start the screw that along with the black square plastic preload wedge holds in the elastomer(s).

There is very little movement on the 30 degree stem with flat handlebars, unless the lightest elastomer is installed. But, I have now travelled over 4500 km in 4 months on my Trek Verve + 3, probably at least 2/3 of this on grassy and gravel trails in my relatively flat terrain here. The Redshift stem and seat post have transformed my commuter bike into a respectable trail bike (along with knobbier tires and sticky pedals).
The bike is still great for street commuting, going into winter here now.
I love the look of the Powerfly! But it’s not in my budget currently.
I was wondering about the 30-degree angle vs. the 6-degree stem angle... do you feel more deflection on the lower 6' degree angle?

Definitely better off (for me, at least) going one level of elastomer setting lighter than what the instructions say. Mine is just about perfect now.

Does it come stock preloaded with the wedge and elastomers? I just watched the video...
Yep. IIRC, they're preloaded with the 60 and 70 elastomers, at least mine was, so you should have three extra elastomers (50, 80, and 90).

Great information in this thread. Have my Yamaha Cross Core bike coming in any day now, and I had a Shockstop delivered directly to the bike shop so they can install while they are preparing the bike. Also having them add the suspension seatpost, which I believe is a Cirrus Kinekt that they use.

Yep. IIRC, they're preloaded with the 60 and 70 elastomers, at least mine was, so you should have three extra elastomers (50, 80, and 90).
Mine came with the two stiffest elastomers installed. Flat bar. I had to go all the way down to just one ( next to softest ) elastomer.

Drop bar user here. I actually had to go one "weight" up on the elastomers. It was really comfortable but just too much movement in the hoods for my liking.

Seems like it. I had to go with only one elastomer. The next to lightest one. Now this may turn out to get too mushy and I go back up a notch but it's easy to do after you figure it out. The tricky part is you have to push down on the stem just a tad to properly start the screw that along with the black square plastic preload wedge holds in the elastomer(s).

Switched out the 2 elastomers that came stock (I think they were the 60 and 70) for the 50 by itself. Big difference. I was only able to ride down the street as I am still on the shelf from my surgery, but it felt like it had some shock absorption. Hopefully, I can get back on the bike today after my doctor visit...

Switched out the 2 elastomers that came stock (I think they were the 60 and 70) for the 50 by itself. Big difference.
I was only able to ride down the street as I am still on the shelf from my surgery, but it felt like it had some shock absorption. Hopefully, I can get back on the bike today after my doctor visit...
Good to hear you will be back on the bike! ;)

Does the single elastomer provide balanced shock absorption... ie., even damping on both the right and left sides of the handlebars?

Back