Rad Rover vs. NCM Aspen

tommymac

Hi Guys,

I'm a newbie and just started shopping for an ebike.
I'm leaning towards the RAD Rover as the large community appeals to me.
Coming from escooters, these groups provide lots of advice and fun.
There's currently a sale on the NCM Aspen, I'm wondering if anyone would strongly recommend this over the RAD?
It's now $100CAD cheaper than the RAD and in stock! The RAD also appeals to me because of the standard battery. If my wife decides to buy a different RAD model, it's convenient to has a spare battery if both bikes aren't in use.

Feel free to recommend other bikes. I'm in the Montreal area. Although, I'll probably only ride city bike paths and some grass parks. I chose a fat bike for the fun factor.

Thanks!

I too was in the same boat and wound up getting a NCM Moscow Plus. This is my first Ebike and couldn't be happier Id look at the Aspen Plus if you're set on a fat bike as the hydro brakes, better drivetrain, and more powerful battery are more than worth the xtra cost up front. Rads are great bikes but if you add the cost of the component upgrades the NCM looks like the better deal to me.

Hi Guys,

I'm a newbie and just started shopping for an ebike.
I'm leaning towards the RAD Rover as the large community appeals to me.
Coming from escooters, these groups provide lots of advice and fun.
There's currently a sale on the NCM Aspen, I'm wondering if anyone would strongly recommend this over the RAD?
It's now $100CAD cheaper than the RAD and in stock! The RAD also appeals to me because of the standard battery. If my wife decides to buy a different RAD model, it's convenient to has a spare battery if both bikes aren't in use.

Feel free to recommend other bikes. I'm in the Montreal area. Although, I'll probably only ride city bike paths and some grass parks. I chose a fat bike for the fun factor.

Thanks!
Got 400 miles on my Rad Rover 5. It is a tank -that moves over anything, rocks, gravel, mud, water, etc.,
Big tires soft ride but very maneuverable. It is like a motorcycle, stable. Makes your feel safe. The price and service are worth not spending 2 to 3 times for same bike -other bike brands. Remember has a 750 watt motor-1hp.
Most other fat tire bikes double price or more and have 500 watts-some have no throttle.
A throttle (Class II) is invaluable -can you out of trouble in a hurry-I rode dirt bikes for many years, old and retired now.

The Aspen Plus is by far the better quality ebike and better deal. Very nice size, 48 volt 16 Amp hour battery. It can do 23 to 25 mph, and has 24 speeds, so you will always have right cadence, and tons of low end torque, and easy to handle top end speed. Side by side, components/frame/welds are simply better quality on the Aspen Plus, their display is a lot nicer with, and has a more functional throttle. Their ergo grips are lot more comfortable. Torque level is higher, and the Das Kit motor is more robust than the Rover's. Ive seen the inside of both, and its night and day from the windings to the magnets. NCM support is very fast to respond. Maybe Rad has loads of people, but then they have loads of repair issues with thousands of ebikes out there, and so many calls in by newbies who are highly dependent upon hand holding. NCM's presence is massive in Europe through Leon Cycle. They are just getting started here in NA. Why would anyone want buy an ebike and then have to do upgrades right away ? You wont have to with the NCM. Bolton makes a sweet penny off of Rad's products. His video on their '750 watt' motor label , pulling out and showing the 350 watt coil/windings inside, next to actual 750 watt coil/windings, is the best thing he has ever done. (took some cahones to pull that one off). But It got him a TON of upgrade bizness, and put him on the map.

I have a Rad Rover. The one thing I do not like about it is the cadence sensor. I prefer torque sensors.

Back