Buying/Configuring a Vado

California

Region
USA
I am in the process of buying my first e-bike and I have narrowed it down to a Specialized Vado. I'm a little stuck on exactly how to configure it and a bit perplexed at which bikes are truly available.

First: a wee bit of background. I had a cheap hybrid bike 25+ years ago, and didn't ride it much as I didn't like having to crane my neck upwards. I am not at all sure the bike fit me, it was just a modest bike. Then a hard core cycling neighbor had a bike accident and ended up getting a recumbent bike. I tried it and found I loved being able to cruise around and enjoy the world more in a motorcycle configuration. I ended up buying an inexpensive bike-E and later upgrading to an Easy Racer. About 10 years ago I bought a modest cruiser with thick tires for riding on dirt roads but it was not something I used much as it was clunky and quickly sold it.

I live in a very hilly area, and to reach my house directly the street has a 17% for about 50+ feet with an obscure back way that has about a 14% grade for about 25 feet. These are not insurmountable but just not fun at the very end of a ride, so I don't ride as often as I would if I didn't have this grade to deal with.

I have been wanting a bike that I can go on dirt roads. Primarily to explore state parks and a handful of local trails. But most of the roads nearby are pavement. I have a Hollywood rack that can support an e-bike but needs a top bar to keep it secure.

I have done my shopping and test riding. After two other extensive brand tests -- Pedego and Trek, I decided to check out Specialized. Although I liked the other two brands, the Specialized just felt better and I liked their computer the best.

I was first directed to the Tero but test rode the Vado and later the Como. The Vado by far fit me the best with the Tero 2nd best. These somewhat 'small' differences are quite pronounced.

I had decided on a Vado 5.0 and was waiting for the shipment to arrive. But that time has passed and now they are saying none will be available till January 2024. Anyone with more knowledge on this?

Sorry for the long story, but I thought more information would be helpful vs explaining things later...

Here are my 'questions'

1. Would it be worth waiting till 2024 for a 5.0? I have kept my Easy Racer for 20 years and would likely keep whatever e-bike for a similar amount of time.
2. I was leaning towards the extra boost of a 5.0 for the hills but also just for the 'fun' of it. I probably wouldn't use it much but I did test ride a full throttle bike and it was fun.
3. Should I consider a Turbo Vado SL 5.0? I have no stairs to climb or need for a lightweight bike but they have some in stock but not all configurations and sizes.
4. Are there any tires I could put on the SL that would work well on dirt roads. I have no plans to be a technical mountain bike rider at all. I just want to be able to explore more remote areas. So I am looking for something suitable that could go up or down anything reasonable and be able to handle desert sand.
5. Yes, there are IHG Vado 5.0s available. But I was not fond of IHG at all. I could see it would be great in the flats, but after many years of riding a recumbent I really like being able to adjust the gears for the hill coming up.
6. Step-Through or not? I'm only leaning a bit towards the not step-through for transportation on the back of my van with the rack. I did the measurements and I think it will be fine with the step-through but anyone with more experience with this?
7. EQ necessary or not? I don't plan on riding in the rain.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

1. Would it be worth waiting till 2024 for a 5.0?
Yes. Your hills do require a 90 Nm motor. With your hills, you would be far better off with a Tero 5.0 or Tero X 6.0 because of their mountain gearing. All come with the same 90 Nm motor and a 710 Wh battery.
(I was riding serious mountains on an Euro Vado 6.0 with a 90 Nm motor and 38-46T mountain gearing and am aware of what you need in your area).

3. Should I consider a Turbo Vado SL 5.0?
No. It will not serve you well on your hills. Too weak a motor.

4. Are there any tires I could put on the SL that would work well on dirt roads.
We said no to the Vado SL, didn't we :) Tero or Tero X have appropriate tyres. I need to think about the Vado tyres yet.

5. Yes, there are IHG Vado 5.0s available. But I was not fond of IHG at all.
Less efficient than the derailleur/chain system. Heavy. With a derailleur/chain you are free to replace the chainring with the size the best suiting your needs.

6. Step-Through or not?
As your heart dictates. I ride a Vado ST and a Vado SL Step-Over.
7. EQ necessary or not? I don't plan on riding in the rain.
If you live in So-Cal, no need for fenders. Consider whether you would use the e-bike for recreation only or you need to carry some cargo in panniers from time to time.

Last edited:
Yes. Your hills do require a 90 Nm motor. With your hills, you would be far better off with a Tero 5.0 or Tero X 6.0 because of their mountain gearing. All come with the same 90 Nm motor and a 710 Wh battery.
Can you explain 'mountain gearing'?

I was leaning towards the Vado as I don't need full suspension and it is a wee bit more comfortable.

I think I would be 'okay' with the SL, I can ride my recumbent up the 14% grade but I think I would loose the fun/enjoyment factor. But then why even get an E-bike and just buy a regular mountain bike?

I would not use it for shopping, but I do like having a storage area for tools, tubes, clothing in the back that the Vado offers with the back rack.

So it sounds like Turbo Tero 5.0 now (low stock) or 2024 5.0 Vado, or maybe a traditional mountain bike?:oops:

Thanks Stefan!

Can you explain 'mountain gearing'?

I was leaning towards the Vado as I don't need full suspension and it is a wee bit more comfortable.

I think I would be 'okay' with the SL, I can ride my recumbent up the 14% grade but I think I would loose the fun/enjoyment factor. But then why even get an E-bike and just buy a regular mountain bike?

I would not use it for shopping, but I do like having a storage area for tools, tubes, clothing in the back that the Vado offers with the back rack.

So it sounds like Turbo Tero 5.0 now (low stock) or 2024 5.0 Vado, or maybe a traditional mountain bike?:oops:

Thanks Stefan!
@California, each of us is a different person. I struggle to climb a regular 3% overpass with my Vado SL (Did a short 10% two or three times though). On the other hand, I was climbing long 19% ascents (including off-road) on my 90 Nm Vado. Your mileage might vary!

Now, let us talk about the "mountain gearing". In pompous terms, the "mountain gearing" is when the lowest gear a.k.a. "granny gear" is equal or less to "20 gear-inches". For instance, Tero 5.0 with its 29x2.35" wheels, 36T chainring, and 42T largest cassette cog is 25 gear-inches. Tero X 6.0 comes with a 27.5x2.35" rear wheel, 38T chainring, and 50T largest cog. It is 21 gear inches. For example, my "mountain customised Vado" offers 23.6 gear-inches. As you can see, Tero X 6.0 is the closest to a mountain bike but the powerful motor makes even a 25 gear-inch gearing appropriate for extreme climbs.

A Tero 5.0? If you can find it in your size? A good idea!

Last edited:
With a 14 or 17% grade to look forward to at the end of every ride, you don’t want the SL. Lovely bikes for sure, bit between the hills and your stated desire to play in the dirt a bit, not so much for your only/main bike.

That Tero 5.0, while a bit of a tank on the weight, should be just what the doctor ordered.

I chatted online with Specialized and it looks like some red Vado 5.0s are coming in the next 1-3 months. That is probably the same shipment that they told me about a month ago. It may be that the black ones you have to wait till 2024.

Since Tero and Vado have the same frame, do I just swap the handlebars on the Tero for the Vado handlebars? I think the handlebars being farther out was where I felt the difference. My arms are a bit shorter than average for my height. Then pay a bit more to get the fender and rack and I have the Vado that I wanted in the first place. Does that make sense?

Now, let us talk about the "mountain gearing". In pompous terms, the "mountain gearing" is when the lowest gear a.k.a. "granny gear" is equal or less to "20 gear-inches". For instance, Tero 5.0 with its 29x2.35" wheels, 36T chainring, and 42T largest cassette cog is 25 gear-inches. Tero X 6.0 comes with a 27.5x2.35" rear wheel, 38T chainring, and 50T largest cog. It is 21 gear inches. For example, my "mountain customised Vado" offers 23.6 gear-inches. As you can see, Tero X 6.0 is the closest to a mountain bike but the powerful motor makes even a 25 gear-inch gearing appropriate for extreme climbs.
Ah okay, in simple terms one turn of the crank results in how many inches of travel on the road. So for steep hills you want less and the Tero has a lower granny gear than the Vado. Interesting. I'm leaning towards configuring a Tero.

I have been riding both a 4.0 SL and a Tero 5.0. I would guess that if you are able to ride the hills on your unpowered recumbent, you would be fine with the SL. The relatively short sections of >15% shouldn't be a problem with the SL - especially in turbo mode I think you'd be good. The SL is limited in the width of tires you can fit - so that could matter particularly if your desert sand is loose. For most hard pack gravel type roads, the SL with 38 mm Pathfinders have been ok for me.

I also considered the Vado as well as the Tero for my full powered bike. The Tero was available and the Vado was not. Besides the handlebars, the Vado has 650B wheels (not spec'd for tubeless if that matters to you) and a shorter fork so the Tero front end is higher than the Vado- as well as the standover height. Both of these could contribute to the difference in comfort you feel. As you noted, the Vado also has fenders/racks and a Varia radar. Otherwise I think the Tero is a better bike with better components. At the time the Vado was Class 3 and I was leaning towards it if both were available.

I have been riding both a 4.0 SL and a Tero 5.0. I would guess that if you are able to ride the hills on your unpowered recumbent, you would be fine with the SL. The relatively short sections of >15% shouldn't be a problem with the SL - especially in turbo mode I think you'd be good.
That's what I was thinking. I haven't road up the 17% in about 10 years, but I can do the 14% as long as I'm riding regularly. The muscles are used differently but I don't think that would be impossible.

The SL is limited in the width of tires you can fit - so that could matter particularly if your desert sand is loose. For most hard pack gravel type roads, the SL with 38 mm Pathfinders have been ok for me.
that's why I was leaning towards the non-SL to get wider tires

I also considered the Vado as well as the Tero for my full powered bike. The Tero was available and the Vado was not. Besides the handlebars, the Vado has 650B wheels (not spec'd for tubeless if that matters to you) and a shorter fork so the Tero front end is higher than the Vado- as well as the standover height. Both of these could contribute to the difference in comfort you feel. As you noted, the Vado also has fenders/racks and a Varia radar. Otherwise I think the Tero is a better bike with better components. At the time the Vado was Class 3 and I was leaning towards it if both were available.
I love the radar and I do want a rack. There are Vado 4.0s out there, just not 5.0s

So it seems that perhaps it may come down a bit to cost. Vado 4.0 compromise a bit of acceleration on very steep grades or spend $1000 + rack + radar and get a Tero 5.0 to get better components.

I also really want a bike that truly fits. With the Tero my arms felt too short.

Not sure where you are in California or what size you're looking for. I'm in NorCal and when I search for a Vado 5.0 in the "Find A Store" search box on Specialized web site, there are bikes available. in some store. Have you done that? Perhaps you would be able to find a bike by searching and changing the zip code around when searching until you find one.

FWIW I have a Vado 4.0 that I bought used for $2000 less than the Vado 5.0 which I’d planned to buy and frankly find the 4.0 gives more power than I need. Remember torque and power are related but different, power is the thing to focus on as well as magnification of rider input.

I’d see if you can locate a used Vado 4.0 and see if that doesn’t work for you. If not then keep it a year until a 5.0 shows up.

FYI a Garmin Varia RTL515 works great with my Vado 4.0

From https://support.specialized.com/turbovado/en/components-compatibility/turbo-system

1680573094783.png

Not sure where you are in California or what size you're looking for. I'm in NorCal and when I search for a Vado 5.0 in the "Find A Store" search box on Specialized web site, there are bikes available. in some store. Have you done that? Perhaps you would be able to find a bike by searching and changing the zip code around when searching until you find one.
I'm in NorCal too. Searching is tricky because all that I find have IHG, which I don't want.

I'm in NorCal too. Searching is tricky because all that I find have IHG, which I don't want.
Not sure what’s tricky?

select the Vado 5.0, choose color and size, click on Find In-Store.

no IGH models show up.

1680574867010.png1680574913692.png

Yep, just pick the model and size you want, and it just searches for that specific model including other colors. What exactly are you looking for?

Not sure what’s tricky?

select the Vado 5.0, choose color and size, click on Find In-Store.

no IGH models show up.

View attachment 150942View attachment 150943

It doesn't work that way. Out of the handful of links that are in there, most end up being a different type 4.0, IHG or something. It isn't a 1:1. I suspect the database of the independent realtors isn't the same. One of the shops had a link with the model, but once you clicked on it you get a vintage sidecar bike. A lot of the links go back to the same specialized website, or once you look at the site they don't really have one in stock but just have it on the 'what we sell list'. Another one had it listed as for sale, but it wasn't actually in stock. I don't see any in Northern California at least.

Somethings wrong here. If you're on the Specialized site and in the exact, specific bike page that you want then it is only going to search for that specific bike. It does not list other models. Again, what specifically are you looking for? Size, top tube or step thru, color? When I look for medium size with top tube, I find several stores with them in stock.

Somethings wrong here. If you're on the Specialized site and in the exact, specific bike page that you want then it is only going to search for that specific bike. It does not list other models. Again, what specifically are you looking for? Size, top tube or step thru, color? When I look for medium size with top tube, I find several stores with them in stock.
Have you actually looked through the link and then found it 'in stock'. Medium. Color not picky but may not buy red. Top tube or step thru. Believe me I've tried. check out the Carmel one when you link on the actual bike you get a sidecar...

Have you changed up the zip code when you search? That's what I did when looking. And that's how I found the Davis store. I had to do a minor road trip to Davis myself. In some way. it made getting the bike more special and exciting but then I'm easily amused! Good luck......

Back