Buying/Configuring a Vado

@California

I am just going to chime in with my vote for the Tero X 6 and add the RTL515 radar to it. I have owned a vado, and it is a great bike, but when the going gets rougher/steeper here, it can still be a bit hard at rough high grade hills. Buy new handle bars and stem if you need to. If the price gets you, then the vado is great.

My wife is probably pulling the trigger on a como 5.0 soon. The differences between them come out in the terrain. All should be able to be made to fit you very well.
When I started my research back in late December the Tero X 6 did not even exist. Didn't exist when I decided on the Vado 5.0. But now I am excited about trying this bicycle out! I do want something that leans to rock/sand/dirt etc.. than street as I already have a street bike that I like. I think I'll head to the store tomorrow. :)

A lot of the stores don't show their inventory. That Carmel store and the Santa Cruz store both show bikes in stock on the Specialized site but their own sites don't list inventory of any of their bikes. If those are closer for you, give them a call tomorrow to confirm. I think it comes down to how much the stores spend on their web site and how active they want to be on constantly updating them.

I had an interesting experience trying to hunt down a Vado 5.0. I had success in calling and confirming that the Davis store that had a 5.0 in stock, but it is a bit of a boring haul so I thought I would try closer.

I called another store who appeared to maybe have what I wanted in a store in Southern California after much poking around. When I called them they were a bit difficult "do you really want me to go downstairs and check the stock"? The conversation was a bit odd but I was going on a short journey and could swing by which included adding an hour of drive time completely out of my way.

When I got there they tried to sell me an older Levo demo model and a Vado 3.0. I was in the shop for maybe 45 minutes. Instead of looking at the inventory online or calling the store that I thought had it in stock, they wanted me to just order it first and pay. And then was complaining about how much of their time I was taking up and that I wasn't a serious customer.

Probably one of the most bizarre customer service experiences that I have ever had. I'm glad it didn't go well in hindsight as I can now perhaps buy a Tero X 6.0 (which had not occurred to me before this great thread!)

It’s a sign. Just order online and send to nearest shop. And be done.
I agree. The local specialized store has one in large that I can play with just fine. I am going there tomorrow with my credit card that has the highest % refund that I brought with me yesterday.

I agree. The local specialized store has one in large that I can play with just fine. I am going there tomorrow with my credit card that has the highest % refund that I brought with me yesterday.

You know, it's interesting. I had this whole discussion with my fitter today about how specialized and other big bike companies direct to consumer model is killing bike shops as they no longer make the sale. And, while that is true to an extent, there are tons of stories like this where a local shop fell on its face. I like my local bike shop, and I would buy from them if I could. But between stock issues and better return policies, it is really hard to justify. We live in a direct to consumer world. Ultimately, a methodology that allows that *and* supports bike shops will have to exist for the bike industry to thrive. Car dealerships are starting to go through the same problems (pushed by Tesla).

Aside on that conversation with the fitter: I was talking to him to get advice on sizing for the tero x. And he also sells bikes (of course). So I told him what I was looking for and he didn't have an option and basically said the tero x is good and he doesn't have anything that competes with the feature set. That's the *other* problem. Effectively, I can't buy any of the bikes I am interested in a bike shop near me. No choice but to do direct to consumer. Is it a chicken? or an egg. I can't tell.

You know, it's interesting. I had this whole discussion with my fitter today about how specialized and other big bike companies direct to consumer model is killing bike shops as they no longer make the sale. And, while that is true to an extent, there are tons of stories like this where a local shop fell on its face. I like my local bike shop, and I would buy from them if I could. But between stock issues and better return policies, it is really hard to justify. We live in a direct to consumer world. Ultimately, a methodology that allows that *and* supports bike shops will have to exist for the bike industry to thrive. Car dealerships are starting to go through the same problems (pushed by Tesla).

Aside on that conversation with the fitter: I was talking to him to get advice on sizing for the tero x. And he also sells bikes (of course). So I told him what I was looking for and he didn't have an option and basically said the tero x is good and he doesn't have anything that competes with the feature set. That's the *other* problem. Effectively, I can't buy any of the bikes I am interested in a bike shop near me. No choice but to do direct to consumer. Is it a chicken? or an egg. I can't tell.
yeah its a hard call. since I own a Tesla, I like the direct to consumer model myself as the experience has worked out well. I bought my recumbent from the manufacturer too as that market was really small, that business has closed since the owner passed away and the trike market boomed.

I don't have a local bike shop very nearby that carries Specialized e-bikes, so I figure I'll go to the manufacturer? There is a sort of close shop that has this model in stock but didn't carry any of the Vado's. I haven't been paying attention but it seems like some of the Specialized stores were former bike shops that carried Specialized bikes and now are Specialized stores.

What I found very confusing during this process is that there is both a direct-to-consumer and a dealer model. The specialized people were the ones that sent me to the demo center, so I figure I should buy from them?

What I found very confusing during this process is that there is both a direct-to-consumer and a dealer model.

Specialized dropped the ball on this in so many ways. Until the beginning of 2022 (possibly have my timing off) specialized was basically a dealer only company. But they both sidelined their dealers as well as did a poor job launching a d2c model. Not only did they launch/purchase LBS shops, the d2c model can be a mess when dealers get involved (A dealer basically cancelled my bike and there was *no way* to undo that). I got caught in the middle of all of it and spent a month trying to give them money and being unable to do so. It's crazy.

Anyway, my advice is do what's best for you. For *me*, that is order through the online site (possibly using special financing) and delivering to my local shop. Do what's right for you.

Well I didn't buy a Vado at all! 😆

I took @dynamic's advice and bought a Tero X 6.0. Once I started thinking about full suspension, I realized that I really like the drop post seat and also what I really need to complement my already great road bike is a mountain bike. Outside of the state parks and other obvious places to mountain bike, I also really want to explore some forest, fire, dirt roads while traveling. I don't own a 4wd vehicle, and this bicycle will enable me to freely wander....

It will arrive within two weeks, just in time for spring.

Honestly, if you and I agree on something it's probably pretty stupid to ignore that thing. ;)
Dynamic, I know you live in a montane location; I do not (only spending a vacation week on mountain e-bike trips). I was often thinking what e-bike I would buy were I living in a hilly area. An e-MTB? Not. I'm not an MTBer by heart and am not fond of e-MTBs. The Tero X has filled the gap: it could be my daily e-bike in the Polish South, which is hilly!

Last edited:
Dynamic, I know you live in a montane location; I'm not (only spending a vacation week on mountain e-bike trips). I was often thinking what e-bike I would buy were I living in a hilly area. An e-MTB? Not. I'm not an MTBer by heart and am not fond of e-MTBs. The Tero X has filled the gap: it could be my daily e-bike in the Polish South, which is hilly!

Exactly. IT seems like it brings enough mountain features to deal with all the terrain. But it can still be ridden on a road like a normal bike. Some people might want to swap tires to become more or less aggressive. But, other than that, it just seems like it would work in more places than even the vado does.

But, other than that, it just seems like it would work in more places than even the vado does.
Well, there's no "do it all" e-bike. If you tried riding Tero X in the plains, you would quicky realise the "alpine" gearing of that e-bike would not let you ride at higher speed on the flat (and you would start thinking whether a bigger chainring could be installed). I enjoy my Vado 6.0, at it shines on the pavement, and is good enough for light trails. Still, situations do happen.

1680923115464.png

That small puddle I could not avoid made me crash at speed on last Wednesday. I still feel unwell afterwards. The rear wheel slipped in the pothole, also because of the excessive power delivered to the rear wheel. Probably the stock Tero X would perform far better there.
It just didn't cross my mind to think that within the one month after I decided on a Vado that something so closely related would be announced!
It was a surprise to everyone! Good thing is that when Specialized announce some new e-bike, it becomes available instantly!

Well, there's no "do it all" e-bike. If you tried riding Tero X in the plains, you would quicky realise the "alpine" gearing of that e-bike would not let you ride at higher speed on the flat (and you would start thinking whether a bigger chainring could be installed). I enjoy my Vado 6.0, at it shines on the pavement, and is good enough for light trails. Still, situations do happen.
I've got an excellent road bike. Many folks don't realize that recumbent bikes have set the world speed records!
That small puddle I could not avoid made me crash at speed on last Wednesday. I still feel unwell afterwards. The rear wheel slipped in the pothole, also because of the excessive power delivered to the rear wheel. Probably the stock Tero X would perform far better there.
I hope you feel fully recovered soon.

If you tried riding Tero X in the plains
Oh, how I wish there were flat places here. ;) Yeah, I get it. My priority current was the fastest bike I have experienced. I still miss the speed. Fast in terms of gearing anyway. Even the flx with the insane rohloff range doesn't get up to the priority current gearing. It's still built for low gear mountain biking. The flx makes up for it with a rocketship motor. But it feels different. It's always like there is a nitro booster attached to you. Speed from high gearing just feels more real. Like you are actually pushing yourself to that speed (even when assisted to some extent).

You could put a bigger front cog on the tero too. At that point it will demolish a vado on the plains. ;)

Oh, how I wish there were flat places here. ;) Yeah, I get it. My priority current was the fastest bike I have experienced. I still miss the speed. Fast in terms of gearing anyway. Even the flx with the insane rohloff range doesn't get up to the priority current gearing. It's still built for low gear mountain biking. The flx makes up for it with a rocketship motor. But it feels different. It's always like there is a nitro booster attached to you. Speed from high gearing just feels more real. Like you are actually pushing yourself to that speed (even when assisted to some extent).

You could put a bigger front cog on the tero too. At that point it will demolish a vado on the plains. ;)
What about just going downhill fast 😁
Around here that's the easiest way to get insane amounts of speed on the road. Most people at some point end up braking as they are uncomfortable at those speeds. In the recumbent your lower so it feels more stable to some extent but I'm not a crazy rider.

I've got an excellent road bike. Many folks don't realize that recumbent bikes have set the world speed records!
Oh, I have many friends in the Polish and Czech recumbent bike community!
Once, I was lazily riding my Vado (then 5.0, 45 km/h) on a long Warsaw bike path when a man on a recumbent/aero bike overtook me at high speed. Having some battery charge surplus, I went in Turbo and started pursing him. He was stopped by traffic lights. As we stood side by side, we nodded to each other and examined the bikes. Then he started riding again, becoming a kind of a vanishing point! The pursue lasted for several kilometres. When he was stopped by the traffic lights again, I shouted at him from a distance: "Hey, wait! I want to have a chat with you!" We exchanged some pleasantries (I thanked him for giving me a good workout), and eventually he smiled and said: "I will never ever be overtaken by an e-bike!" :D Funny thing, the man was not a part of the recumbent bike community of Warsaw!
I see no reason why a mountain e-bike with the same motor could demolish a Vado on the plains :) Vados are designed for the pavement, and for the speed. Tero X is designed for the hills.

What about just going downhill fast 😁
Around here that's the easiest way to get insane amounts of speed on the road. Most people at some point end up braking as they are uncomfortable at those speeds. In the recumbent your lower so it feels more stable to some extent but I'm not a crazy rider.
Certainly, the Full Suspension of the Tero X and proper tyres make it a good downhill machine but forget about the pedalling :) I like the brakes on Tero X 6.0 very much!

Back