Commuter Ebike for heavy rider (ended up choosing RR(Ride1UP Prodigy ST)

XPanda

Region
USA
Hi everyone,

EDIT FINAL: So I spent the past month flip flopping between brands, models, and price points and ended up settling on the new Ride1up prodigy. I decided to forgo any fat tire bikes after getting advice from y’all that it would be bad for commuting (main purpose). I ended up driving yesterday to a bike shop with Ebikes to try the town next over during my lunch break. The owner kept trying to push me to buy a Trek bike which I did not like the look of (nor the price for what I was getting), but he did turn me on to mid hub motors that were throttle Free. This left me with the priority current and the R1U prodigy and I ended up with the prodigy since it has a more known motor, cheaper, and came with a rear rack (I was curious about the belt drive but in the end didn’t think it was worth 699 for). I guess I’ll post in the R1U section of the form on what I think of it once it gets here. I figured if I don’t like it, I’ll return it and try the current. Thanks for your input everyone!

Edit: I narrowed it down to the the rad city plus, rad Rover 6 plus and rad city 5 plus as I found a rad partnered LBS near by.

I am a 6' 0'' 300 LB rider looking for help picking an e-Bike for use commuting to work and as a car replacement for stuff like visiting friends and grocery shopping.

My commute is 5 miles long in not very hilly terrain (some minor bumps here and there some grass and dirt paths).

My only experience with e-bikes is an Ancheer Ebike I purchased back in late 2018 that I used to commute for a year (it fell apart before the pandemic hit, I had to rebuild the tires 2x in one year and on third gave up. Was looking for other options when pandemic hit, then it was remote work, back to office again this year though).

But with that I know that being a overweight means range and speed is often half or less of what it says on the box.

My budget is less than $2000 (about the annual savings of not using my car to commute).
If there is a bike you highly recommend and will last very long, I will go up to 2500 (hard cut off, no money after that)

I have looked at the Radpower and Rid1up offerings, but which company? I was browsing and saw a lot of new and recent complaints about both companies slipping over customer service.

I know many will recommend DIY, but I can't do that right now (no space or tools, I live in an apartment complex, first floor so I don't have to lift the bike up and down steps at least)

Please let me know your thoughts if you were in my position. Thanks.

Last edited:
Location? Hills? Flat terrain? Is a throttle a mandatory? I loved my RadRunner when I had it. Wasn't the most refined ebike but it didn't give me any issues. I did have a bottom bracket bearing take a walk and a crank are that kept coming loose, but once rebuilt (bottom bracket) and Loctited (crank arm) it was fine. Sold it at around 2500 miles and still miss it.

Xpanda, congrats on your search for an ebike. Lots of info here (and opinions!!)

Have your looked at any of the Aventons? Maybe the Level? Or the Aventure? It would meet your budget. And look at their website because they post the maximum payload under the tech specs. I want to say the Aventure max payload is 400 lbs, but please check.

Do you have a preference either hub drive or mid-drive? That might affect your budget.

I encourage you to test ride if possible. It will help narrow your search.

And don’t forget to budget for accessories; mirror, lights, rack, bag, etc. The list can be endless!!

Please post a pic of your new bike!

A lot of moped style ebikes like the Juiced Scorpion X or Biktrix Challenger come with cast alloy wheels that are heavy duty. If there’s a Pedego dealer nearby you might ask if they have any Preloved used ebikes in Large frame size, they offer a $400 Magnesium wheel upgrade on some models that would suit a heavier rider. Or consider a mid-drive motor where the rear wheel does not have to bear the weight/torque of the motor.

Last edited:
Location? Hills? Flat terrain? Is a throttle a mandatory? I loved my RadRunner when I had it. Wasn't the most refined ebike but it didn't give me any issues. I did have a bottom bracket bearing take a walk and a crank are that kept coming loose, but once rebuilt (bottom bracket) and Loctited (crank arm) it was fine. Sold it at around 2500 miles and still miss it.
I live in central PA and the terrain is not too hilly. I am looking at the RadRunner but I would like to do some peddling and I have never ridden a small tire bike before.

Hi, I’m around your height/weight, and while I haven’t bought my ebike yet, I’ve been looking at the Ariel Rider Kepler ($1900 with taxes) and the RipCurrent S (on sale right now just under $2500). Both have a max load of 300lbs and 1000W motors which should be better for heavier riders.

If you’re looking for a higher max load so you can carry groceries and what not, take a look at the new himiway bikes. The downside is those are heavy (hopefully your apt has an elevator!)

I think MagicCycle has a higher load capacity too.

Good luck! Let us know what you go with!

A lot of moped style ebikes like the Juiced Scorpion X or Biktrix Challenger come with cast alloy wheels that are heavy duty. If there’s a Pedego dealer nearby you might ask if they have any Preloved used ebikes in Large frame size, they offer a $400 Magnesium wheel upgrade that would suit a heavier rider. Or consider a mid-drive motor where the rear wheel does not have to bear the weight/torque of the motor, like the Biktrix Juggernaut Classic 9
I think there is actually a Pedego dealer next town over from where I live. I will call them Monday to see if they have any inventory. Non of the bike shops 10 miles of where I live have any ebikes left, apparently they fly off the shelves.

Hi, I’m around your height/weight, and while I haven’t bought my ebike yet, I’ve been looking at the Ariel Rider Kepler ($1900 with taxes) and the RipCurrent S (on sale right now just under $2500). Both have a max load of 300lbs and 1000W motors which should be better for heavier riders.

If you’re looking for a higher max load so you can carry groceries and what not, take a look at the new himiway bikes. The downside is those are heavy (hopefully your apt has an elevator!)

I think MagicCycle has a higher load capacity too.

Good luck! Let us know what you go with!
I was looking at the Kepler and the Ripcurrent S, hemiway, and magicycle, I couldn't find any user reviews that seemed "genuine" like just normal folks riding them. All the reviews I saw looked bought and paid for and that always makes me feel nervous. On paper they definitely look like really good bikes, but until I see some 200+ mile reviews I am going to hold off on them.

My biggest fear doing this is riding 20+ mph and having the cheap wheel or suspension break under my weight and getting really hurt.

If I do find a long ride time review of these bikes I'll post it here.

Edit: I found one of the Ripcurrent
I'll definably look more into the Kepler since it is more in my price point (don't want to spend over 2k if I can help it)

I was looking at the Kepler and the Ripcurrent S, hemiway, and magicycle, I couldn't find any user reviews that seemed "genuine" like just normal folks riding them. All the reviews I saw looked bought and paid for and that always makes me feel nervous. On paper they definitely look like really good bikes, but until I see some 200+ mile reviews I am going to hold off on them.

My biggest fear doing this is riding 20+ mph and having the cheap wheel or suspension break under my weight and getting really hurt.

If I do find a long ride time review of these bikes I'll post it here.

Edit: I found one of the Ripcurrent
I'll definably look more into the Kepler since it is more in my price point (don't want to spend over 2k if I can help it)
Yea I 100% agree, especially for heavier riders. It’s one of the reasons I haven’t bought anything yet.

Yea definitely share any reviews you find. Thanks!

My old base RadRunner 1 (single speed version) would not allow me to pedal past the 14mph range. I'd just hamster wheel past that speed. The Plus version looks ideal to me with its gears. I'm 5'8" and once adjusted to my height I fell in love with the smaller wheels. All my riding is in city type traffic though.

The lady who purchased my old 'Runner uses it strictly as a moped. She has bad knees and never pedals. It's still serving her well.

My first ebike was a Pedego City Commuter. It was a fun and reliable ebike.

Last edited:
Keeping the RadRunner plus on my shortlist, I think the fat tires on it would work great for my route. The weight limit works for me, the only down side is that I think it is too small for a 6’ tall person, I mean I can probably get pretty comfortable, but it would look kinda off balance.

The Pedego looks amazing, sadly I can’t afford it ToT

My vote - Rad City 5
I'm a big RAD fan, but NOT the variety with small wheels. Something more like the 'City. I bought one of those in late 2016, have modified the daylights out of it, and it's still going on the original battery today. Further, due to the huge popularity of the RAD bikes, and the fact this one has been well maintained, I could likely get near what I paid for it if I decided to sell it.

I'm about as big a guy as you're going to see on an e-bike at 6'1/315, and I should mention I'm 71. Have been riding e-bikes for several years now, and have pretty much been there done that, working my way up through the ranks to some of the most powerful available (that's my nature, and I often spend a lot of time in a hilly area) and now working my way back down figuring out just how much power do I REALLY need - wich has taught me a TON

My reason for choosing a RAD are many. The reason I recommend them to others is not because I know it's not going to fold up underneath me when I hit a big bump, it's because I KNOW this bike will teach you a TON, and because you can get out from under it easily if/when you decide it's not getting the job done any longer. The RAD bikes are the best of the best when it comes to resale. They sell easily, and they bring top dollar. That's a BIG deal.

I do NOT recommend the Rover. It's a GREAT BIG bike, way bigger than most people realize - and that's pretty typical for ALL of the fatty's. That big size is heavy, and it FEELS heavy when riding it. -Al

My vote - Rad City 5
I'm a big RAD fan, but NOT the variety with small wheels. Something more like the 'City. I bought one of those in late 2016, have modified the daylights out of it, and it's still going on the original battery today. Further, due to the huge popularity of the RAD bikes, and the fact this one has been well maintained, I could likely get near what I paid for it if I decided to sell it.

I'm about as big a guy as you're going to see on an e-bike at 6'1/315, and I should mention I'm 71. Have been riding e-bikes for several years now, and have pretty much been there done that, working my way up through the ranks to some of the most powerful available (that's my nature, and I often spend a lot of time in a hilly area) and now working my way back down figuring out just how much power do I REALLY need - wich has taught me a TON

My reason for choosing a RAD are many. The reason I recommend them to others is not because I know it's not going to fold up underneath me when I hit a big bump, it's because I KNOW this bike will teach you a TON, and because you can get out from under it easily if/when you decide it's not getting the job done any longer. The RAD bikes are the best of the best when it comes to resale. They sell easily, and they bring top dollar. That's a BIG deal.

I do NOT recommend the Rover. It's a GREAT BIG bike, way bigger than most people realize - and that's pretty typical for ALL of the fatty's. That big size is heavy, and it FEELS heavy when riding it. -Al
Wow! Thanks for the info! You are just the fella I need! I was really heavily debating between the city and the Rover (leaning towards the Rover previously since it is on sale for $400 off)

How long did you have your city before you sold it?
What did you like and dislike about it?

I live in central pa and the bike second hand market here is bone dry. But I know ebikes are becoming very popular as all the bike shops in my area ran out of stock.

I sold my Turbo Vado 4 to a friend recently and he loves it. He's a larger sized guy and we chipped in and got him a nice bike a few years ago. He lost over 120 pounds. Then COVID happened and he found it. He also has a job about 11 miles away and was having trouble getting motivated to commute and arrive at work sweaty in the morning, etc. Anyway the Vado solved the problem and it is a well made sturdy bike that he feels comfortable on. I gave him a deal on the price so getting one in that range might be hard but keep looking.

I went through a ton of research when I replaced my old A2B Metro ebike a couple of years ago. At 350lbs and 6'2" I'm hard on bikes, in the end I could not find a bike that I was confident in the strength of and was within my limited budget so I converted my old 2006 Kona Hoss into an ebike with a Bafang BBSHD mid drive. I'm very happy with the result, the bike is plenty strong enough for me and the BBSHD conversion is amazing for it's power and ease of use. I'm currently commuting 27km round trips with a few substantial hills and the bike can do it completely under it's own power if I need it to but I tend to peddle a fair bit anyway. As a result I'm now down to 300lbs.
https://electricbikereview.com/forums/attachments/img_20210308_161329_414-jpg.81048/
https://electricbikereview.com/foru...oing-to-start-my-kona-hoss-bbshd-build.40859/

I went through a ton of research when I replaced my old A2B Metro ebike a couple of years ago. At 350lbs and 6'2" I'm hard on bikes, in the end I could not find a bike that I was confident in the strength of and was within my limited budget so I converted my old 2006 Kona Hoss into an ebike with a Bafang BBSHD mid drive. I'm very happy with the result, the bike is plenty strong enough for me and the BBSHD conversion is amazing for it's power and ease of use. I'm currently commuting 27km round trips with a few substantial hills and the bike can do it completely under it's own power if I need it to but I tend to peddle a fair bit anyway. As a result I'm now down to 300lbs.
https://electricbikereview.com/forums/attachments/img_20210308_161329_414-jpg.81048/
https://electricbikereview.com/foru...oing-to-start-my-kona-hoss-bbshd-build.40859/
How long did it take you and How difficult was the DIY bike to build? I have no tools or space, but if it is a single day job, I can probably figure something out.

Once I had the tools and parts together it only took a few hours to put together but I must have spent days figuring out everything that I would need and making sure I had it all ready for the installation. I do have a lot of mechanical experience with working on other motor vehicles but I didn't have much with bikes other than fixing fat tires. Once I had it figured out it was quite easy though a person that is not mechanically minded might have more trouble. The most important part of the process is figuring out which conversion will work with the bike you are going to use.

A lot of weight limits are all up weight ie bike +rider+cargo. If it's 300lbs then deduct 50-60 for bike and another 10lbs for gear and clothing which leaves 230 for rider.

In saying that if you are gentle on bike and don't drop it off curbs on regular basis a little over shouldn't be problem..

Wow! Thanks for the info! You are just the fella I need! I was really heavily debating between the city and the Rover (leaning towards the Rover previously since it is on sale for $400 off)

How long did you have your city before you sold it?
What did you like and dislike about it?

I live in central pa and the bike second hand market here is bone dry. But I know ebikes are becoming very popular as all the bike shops in my area ran out of stock.
I STILL have my '16 City, though it's been relegated to "extra bike" duty by bikes costing up to twice as much. I am still riding it on occasion, so I can't bring myself to sell it. It's loaned out to guests regularly.

I ride daily, year round, unless the weather is just terrible (e.g. rain, 90+ temps). Love riding, but not THAT bad! That daily ride, the fact the bikes are used so frequently, are what helps me justify spending the money on them. My first e-bike I built myself, but even so, spending the money to do that was a HUGE leap of faith. I had absolutely no idea at that time how much I was going to enjoy this eventually, or the fact I would end up riding daily!

I didn't like any of the original RAD electronics, so those were replaced with aftermarket. Details not important as RAD has since improved just about everything since mine was purchased. The RAD City was sold originally (back in '16) with a direct drive motor - and I was NOT a fan of that. So THAT was replaced with a geared hub drive similar to what the new City's come with. This left me with a bike that's seen heavy use, and has held up well beyond expectations.

I expect anything resembling a decent used e-bike to remain scarce for quite a while. Especially the RAD's because they are so well known.

A lot of weight limits are all up weight ie bike +rider+cargo. If it's 300lbs then deduct 50-60 for bike and another 10lbs for gear and clothing which leaves 230 for rider.

In saying that if you are gentle on bike and don't drop it off curbs on regular basis a little over shouldn't be problem..
So I really should be looking for bikes with at least 350 lb limit. Any bikes that still fit my budget?
I am not supper keen on cargo bikes like the radwaggon since they are so long(where would I park it at work?)
I am very worried about safety and reliability, hince will rebudget to 2.5k if needed

Back