R&M Bosch power socket rubber cap - design flaw

pnowak2

Hello,

Do you also all experience this crappy rubber protector of charging socket ?
I never can fit it to properly seal the socket after i unplug the charger, takes 5 minutes of manual trying to fit it to the socket holes.

Any system which replaces that one to recommend ?

Merci

Hello,

Do you also all experience this crappy rubber protector of charging socket ?
I never can fit it to properly seal the socket after i unplug the charger, takes 5 minutes of manual trying to fit it to the socket holes.

Merci
Over three Bosch bikes I’ve never experienced this problem. Unless I’ve just been lucky, I’d guess yours is malformed in some way. I’d ask the dealer to replace it, although I agree that trips to the dealer are annoying for items like this :(

I see the socket/cover available in a kit like this:

Hopefully you get them replaced under warranty.

Last edited:
Do you experience this crappy rubber protector of charging socket?
2019-20 Homage : YES
2021 Homage : NO

P—
To avoid confusion amongst forum members who respond, I think you need to share a photo of the socket cap.
David

Last edited by a moderator:
Is the cap replacement better than the original? The cap from electriccyclery.com has a rubber o-ring as well. Do they sell just the cap? The original has a very flimsy hinge and I don't think will last very long.

Is the cap replacement better than the original? The cap from electriccyclery.com has a rubber o-ring as well. Do they sell just the cap? The original has a very flimsy hinge and I don't think will last very long.
All I can tell you is that it still works perfectly on 2017 and 2019 bikes I own, the latter an R&M. I have experienced problems, but this isn’t one of them.

The kit is specific to a particular configuration. The point of posting the example is to show that they are not out-of-stock so the dealer should be able to replace it. A lot of parts are not available right now. Second, this is really a Bosch part, not R&M, so perhaps the OP should follow-up in the Bosch-specific forum to see if the tech reps have any ideas.

There could be a decline in quality in the past year, perhaps a new source, who knows? Not trying to pretend it isn’t a real problem for you and the OP.

Do you also all experience this crappy rubber protector of charging socket ? I never can fit it to properly seal the socket after i unplug the charger, takes 5 minutes of manual trying to fit it to the socket holes.

Yes! I see the same issue. My Superdelite is a circa-August 2020 build, delivered new to me in early October 2020. The rigid plastic cap covering the on-board charging port has been a serious S.O.B. to successfully clip closed from the first recharge (which, I admit, was a few weeks after delivery. I absolutely LOVE the long range of this bike!). Every freakin' time I recharge, I need to perform some sort of contortion with the cap to get it to seat in the closed position. If I'm lucky, the cap will stay closed for a few days, but I often look down to see the cap flapping open, inviting ingress of dirt/water/crud.

As per the photo, the moulded plastic hinge is now starting to fail (note the split now propagating along the hinge line), so I guess it's only a matter of time before it falls off completely!

I vaguely recall that there is a softer rubberised version of the cap available somewhere. At least if the cap was made of softer material, the hinge section wouldn't become hardened/brittle with continued use. Anyone have any clues on how I might track this item down?

A.

Charge port - wide shot copy.jpeg
Charge port - closeup copy.jpeg

The one that I have on my Multicharger seats with a magnetic snap. It fits OK and the plug is situated on the top of the downward tube so gravity takes care of it seating as well. It does appear to be quite fimsey with a weak hinge.

A bit of dialectric grease on the "tooth" does wonders.
Yes! I see the same issue. My Superdelite is a circa-August 2020 build, delivered new to me in early October 2020. The rigid plastic cap covering the on-board charging port has been a serious S.O.B. to successfully clip closed from the first recharge (which, I admit, was a few weeks after delivery. I absolutely LOVE the long range of this bike!). Every freakin' time I recharge, I need to perform some sort of contortion with the cap to get it to seat in the closed position. If I'm lucky, the cap will stay closed for a few days, but I often look down to see the cap flapping open, inviting ingress of dirt/water/
As per the photo, the moulded plastic hinge is now starting to fail (note the split now propagating along the hinge line), so I guess it's only a matter of time before it falls off completely!

I vaguely recall that there is a softer rubberised version of the cap available somewhere. At least if the cap was made of softer material, the hinge section wouldn't become hardened/brittle with continued use. Anyone have any clues on how I might track this item down?

A.
Hello albyrne.

In your photograph the screws holding the plate appear to be proud of the surface. Are they actually protruding and might this be the cause of the problem you have experienced?

My RM bike is March 2020 and has the rubber charging socket cover you refer to. It works well once one aquires the knack of closing it. Because the socket on your bike is in a different position compared to the on mine, the covers may not be compatible. Worth checking.

Peter

Yes! I see the same issue. My Superdelite is a circa-August 2020 build, delivered new to me in early October 2020. The rigid plastic cap covering the on-board charging port has been a serious S.O.B. to successfully clip closed from the first recharge (which, I admit, was a few weeks after delivery. I absolutely LOVE the long range of this bike!). Every freakin' time I recharge, I need to perform some sort of contortion with the cap to get it to seat in the closed position. If I'm lucky, the cap will stay closed for a few days, but I often look down to see the cap flapping open, inviting ingress of dirt/water/crud.

A.

View attachment 87329View attachment 87330
Thanks for the pics. I see that I have the older Bosch softer rubber version. You have a cap that’s R&M-branded. My bad.

Last edited:

A.

View attachment 87329View attachment 87330
These are regarded as an objectively bad design by everyone involved - we've a handful of customers who've blown through 2-3 in less than a year. We've been seeing a redesigned version (@TimJohn mentions it above) on the newest bikes. Your dealer should be able to supply you with one as a warranty replacement. There is also an aftermarket 3D-printed alternative out there.

The one that I have on my Multicharger seats with a magnetic snap. It fits OK and the plug is situated on the top of the downward tube so gravity takes care of it seating as well. It does appear to be quite fimsey with a weak hinge.
If you have concern about the hinge deteriorating a small piece of high tack duct tape placed on the interior surface of the protective cap may add some strength to the hinge till you get a replacement part. MacMasterCarr sells a variety of different tapes.

Ok so my bike is like a month old and I noticed that the cap is gone. Is there a replacement that fits R&M, I read in another thread that the normal bosch replacement does not fit in R&M.

I guess I could ask replacement from rm but the problem is that it will probably break just as quickly. Was wondering if there would be any more durable 3rd party cap.

I guess I could ask replacement from rm but the problem is that it will probably break just as quickly. Was wondering if there would be any more durable 3rd party cap.
We had a couple who came in with some 3D-printed ones a while back. They're out there.

When I ordered my Nevo3 GT Vario GX in June this year, the one I tried had the plastic charger socket cover, which did appear a bit flimsy.

When I received the bike this August, it had a rubber charger socket cover with the tooth.

I must admit that it looks more robust than the plastic version and I find this very easy to use.

How I use it, is to ensure that the tooth is engaged first, which creates a slight radius on the cover when you start. But once the tooth is engaged it just snaps in and goes flat. It stays in and stops the dust getting in.

We had a couple who came in with some 3D-printed ones a while back. They're out there.
They are indeed out there, but very expensive for what they are. I'm in the UK and am quoted 14.95 Euros plus 15.99 Euros for P&P. Outrageous! Here's the page though:

Back