Super Delight Charging Port Cover - for dummies

rudym

Riese & Muller,

My New Super Delight charging port cover has a magnetic feature to hold it closed. Magnet in flip up top / tip of cover is designed to latch “magnetically” against the screw that holds the port cover to the frame.

Problem = the screw that Riese Muller uses to attach the charging port cover to the frame is NOT IRON / non ferrous, so the magnetic latch is USELESS!

Propel bikes (who is awesome) sent out a warranty claim and immediately sent me a new cover (same cover with the same problems) BUT I must add that the replacement cover screws provided with the new cover as the “warranty fix” were too short.

I suspect R&M realizes their aluminum frame will not tolerate a ferrous screw without some serious dissimilar metal(s) reactivity problems and they were too ashamed to admit it.

This isn’t rocket science @ Riese Muller = just make a tight fitting captive rubber plug, to fill the hole tightly when not in use, and add an O-ring to it for a water tight seal.

Forty pages of European or German regulations is optional, but OK. just do it !!!

I live in the deep south where heavy rains are an almost everyday occurrence. My very pricey bike needs a proper seal over the charging port to prevent costly corrosion and other expensive repair issues.

Please make sure the “fix” actually works before making and shipping the warranty repair item.

Last edited:
The fix:
67504131630__E13140FA-A9F2-4A6F-8E81-74C429D01CA5.jpg

I live in alabama so I must have caught him on a good day or he has to be careful about volume??

Could someone send me the link, had my bike less than a month and the cover has already fallen off 🙄🙄 thanks in advance

After being very disappointed with Riese and Muller's charging covers and having destroyed several with pedal strikes because they popped open, I decided to make my own. After several iterations I finally had one that worked as I wanted it too.

I used ASA as this material was developed to have a high UV resistance so it shouldn't fade much, if at all. Also it is tolerant to many hydrocarbons and chemicals so it should survive the odd spray of GT85 etc. I also used an expensive magnet to ensure the cover would stay closed normally although I have to make sure I close it after charging to prevent pedal strike.

I made a few more so I can try and help people who are having the same problem. See the link below -

Attachments

• 20230429_134810small.jpg
    20230429_134810small.jpg
    417.4 KB · Views: 186
  • 20230429_182022small.jpg
    20230429_182022small.jpg
    123.6 KB · Views: 151
  • 20230429_182143small.jpg
    20230429_182143small.jpg
    284.6 KB · Views: 183
  • cover pair.jpg
    cover pair.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 163
Last edited:
After being very disappointed with Riese and Muller's charging covers and having destroyed several with pedal strikes because they popped open, I decided to make my own. After several iterations I finally had one that worked as I wanted it too.

I used ASA as this material was developed to have a high UV resistance so it shouldn't fade much, if at all. Also it is tolerant to many hydrocarbons and chemicals so it should survive the odd spray of GT85 etc. I also used an expensive magnet to ensure the cover would stay closed normally although I have to make sure I close it after charging to prevent pedal strike.

I made a few more so I can try and help people who are having the same problem. See the link below -

Ah is this your design/product. I found it on ebay, ordered and fitted it yesterday - fitted perfectly, thank you

I bought one too -- thank you very much. It's so disappointing that Riese and Muller couldn't come up with your simple but infinitely more durable design. It would cost them a few pennies more, maybe, but surely that is what we're paying for.

Does anyone know if the port on the listed models is the same as on the Nevo3, which is not listed. Thanks.

Sorry Bil but I'm not sure. I watched a Nevo 3 review and it looks very similar but I can't caregorically confirm whether it is identical.

They look very alike, albeit the Nevo isn't hinged with the weak flap like the Delite is.

The charging socket is identical on both bikes, so the screw or fixing holes would be the same.

1689271250880.png

1689271273115.png

Riese & Muller,

My New Super Delight charging port cover has a magnetic feature to hold it closed. Magnet in flip up top / tip of cover is designed to latch “magnetically” against the screw that holds the port cover to the frame.

Problem = the screw that Riese Muller uses to attach the charging port cover to the frame is NOT IRON / non ferrous, so the magnetic latch is USELESS!

Propel bikes (who is awesome) sent out a warranty claim and immediately sent me a new cover (same cover with the same problems) BUT I must add that the replacement cover screws provided with the new cover as the “warranty fix” were too short.

I suspect R&M realizes their aluminum frame will not tolerate a ferrous screw without some serious dissimilar metal(s) reactivity problems and they were too ashamed to admit it.

This isn’t rocket science @ Riese Muller = just make a tight fitting captive rubber plug, to fill the hole tightly when not in use, and add an O-ring to it for a water tight seal.

Forty pages of European or German regulations is optional, but OK. just do it !!!

I live in the deep south where heavy rains are an almost everyday occurrence. My very pricey bike needs a proper seal over the charging port to prevent costly corrosion and other expensive repair issues.

Please make sure the “fix” actually works before making and shipping the warranty repair item. Equip for the court with precision and style – volleyball gear blends performance technology and comfort. From supportive knee pads to breathable jerseys buying guide, it's the essential kit for every serve and spike.
I'm in Az where dust/sand storms are not uncommon and I'd been interested in getting a cover for the charging port for more protection against the elements.
Audi EVs have something along this line but it costs $60 or close to that.
I found a generic cover on eBay from someone with a 3D printer for $15.

Back