Preventing/overcoming flats in the Rad Rover

Pay Jota

I havent had a flat YET, but it's probably coming. Puncture RESISTANT, not puncture PROOF, after all...........

Are these Juggernaut tires tubeless? Tubed? What, if any, product are you guys/gals using to seal the inside of the tires. My LBS is really down on Slime, but I still have a quart of the stuff.

Should I have a spare tube, if tubed?

Tire liners and sealant. Always bring a spare tube and related tools to do a change in the field. I’ve learned that co2 is your friend in addition to a hand pump. However one of the most important things when preventing flats is to not ride in the gutter of the street where debris collects.

Tire liners and sealant. Always bring a spare tube and related tools to do a change in the field. I’ve learned that co2 is your friend in addition to a hand pump. However one of the most important things when preventing flats is to not ride in the gutter of the street where debris collects.

Not if; but, when you get a flat with the Rover+Kenda tires.

Pretty much what I do with liners, sealant, spare tube, pump, and tools on every ride. I don't think flat resistant fat tires are out there like the choices you have with thinner tires. My flats did go down with Vee8 120tpi 26X4 tires compared to the Kenda's. I had a few flats when the only choice was to replace the tube (road debris glass, single track tree branch spike). Tubeless would have left me stranded.

I've read some articles that say to avoid the sealant that it results in an unbalanced tire, plugs up the presta valve, adds 8 oz of weight and makes a mess when changing tires. Others say products like "slime" are a godsend and they never get flats after using it. I bought a 16oz. bottle of slime for tubed tires but don't know whether to use it or not

I've been using the combo of Mr. Tuffy + 4 oz of Stans sealant per tire (8 oz total per rover) for +2 1/2 years and +7000 miles between two Radrovers without issue. I ended up having to add an extra bottle every 2-3 months because of the sealant working with goat-head stickers pretty much every time I ride. I work commute with speeds up to 25 mph on some down hill runs and zero issues with the tires feeling unbalanced summer to winter rides (+100 max during summer, 12-15 degrees min during winter). My rover is already +75 lbs, I'm +270 lbs, and maybe around +25 lbs with rear rack and commuter back pack. An extra 8 oz won't make a difference for me.

Thanks for sharing that mrgold. I keep looking at my bottle of slime and wonder if I should use it. I've heard of Stans sealant and wonder if it's better or the same as "slime" brand? My tires are michelin protek cross and they are puncture resistant but not as much protection as the protek cross max which is a much heavier tire.

So, based on the tire description on the Rad site, these tires are made specifically for Rad. Do these tires correspond to any tire listed on the Kenda website? Here is a link. There are three tire types under the 26 x 4 category.

https://bicycle.kendatire.com/en-eu/find-a-tire/bicycle/fat-tires/juggernaut/

I also notice that Rad mentions that these tires employ a "puncture-resistant LINER". Are some of you using an aftermarket liner instead?

Just to clarify, the stock tires come with an internal tire liner and an inner tube? The Rad site says it comes with a puncture resistant LINER, but the tire itself says puncture resistant CASING.

EDIT: Just noticed that these tires are only 30 tpi. There is no 30 tpi tire listed on the Kenda site under Fat Tires.

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing that mrgold. I keep looking at my bottle of slime and wonder if I should use it. I've heard of Stans sealant and wonder if it's better or the same as "slime" brand? My tires are michelin protek cross and they are puncture resistant but not as much protection as the protek cross max which is a much heavier tire.

I've been riding for years and I currently have a few eBikes, I use Slime in all my bikes and I've never had a flat while using it. Some new bike manufacturers such as Pedego ship their bikes with Slime installed, at least my Platinum Interceptor came with Slime installed.

I have been using Stans inside tubes for around 10 years. I put in about 1.5 times the recommended amount and after about 6 months do the same and just replace the tubes after a year.

Most of my flats are from goatheads.

Only had 2 flats since converting to Stans
1.) A loaner ebike from a LBS. Put 2oz stans in the tube/reinflated and rode away. No additional flats in the time I used it.
2.) One of my own eMTBs with Stans. Ran over a board with 4 protruding nails. The stans was overdue for replenishment so I just put in 2 oz in the tube/reinflated and rode away. Tube is still holding air just fine although I will replace it soon(its about a year old).

I carry a spare tube, a 2 oz container of stans, patch kit, valve remover and several CO2 canisters.

When I first get a flat(very rare), I first make sure its not leaking at the valve and then make sure there is not an obvious gash in the tire. If all checks out, I use the 2oz container of stans and reinflate. Never needed the patch kit yet.

So, the only Stans sealant I see is labeled "NoTubes". But it is OK in tubes?

I've been using Stans for my regular bikes and ebikes since 2014 with tubes. Zero issue other than it can make a mess between the tube and tire if you need to patch a larger hole. I carry several folded up paper shop towels and alcohol wipe packets in a quart size ziploc freezer bag in my rack bag now.

I like the idea of just installing 2 oz of Stans in my tube if I get a flat and not have to put a patch on the tube. How does the 2 oz bottle work? Do you just remove valve stem or do you need a syringe of sorts to install the Stans?

I use the 2 oz bottles and remove the valve stem to put into my tube. I've felt like 2 oz wasn't enough for the 4" fat tires and use two bottles (4 oz) per tire. I think 2 oz will be enough if you don't have to worry about goat head stickers on every single ride.

Last edited:
We had 5 flats in as many months when I first bought mine and my wifes Radminis. We kept the tires at 20 psi as I believed from watching YouTube videos that would give better traction off road although my local bike shop told me to keep them full and check tire pressure every week. After 5 flats I ignored the advice of the internet and now keep the tires at 30 psi and have not had another flat. I do not have any liners or slime in my tires, just keep them filled and check them regularly. I've had no issues with traction riding off road or on.

If you're mostly on the pavement like me you could also go with 3.5s instead of 4". That is certainly what I will do next flat!. Three flats in 3 months and all were the rear tires on my Radrover.
I just don't have the savvy or the desire to screw around trying to fix the rear tire in the field. In SoCal, I'm 99% on pavement and you just cannot avoid road debris altogether.
ABR in San Diego recommended that along with Stans sealant.
Tires going flat or slow leaks are my biggest complaint with a fat tire Radrover.

If/when I decide to replace OEM Kenda tires, are these rims any specialized type that I need to be aware of. What are rolling bead tires?

I'm bumping this thread, hoping for an answer to my last question. As I look on Amazon for new, more puncture-resistant tires, is there a special type of tire I need to look for? Are the stock Rad Rover wheels a particular generic type that requires a specific tire type? I see rolling bead tires with wire. I seen folding Aramid beads and other types. What gives?

I recently bought a Rad Rhino (EU version of the Rover). Just put about 200 miles in the first month of use. Didn't have flat during this time.

I'm preparing for a long trip in August (from 1200 to 2000 miles), so I just went tubeless and keeping the same Kenda stock tires since they are brand new. I used the split tube method. Regular floor pump was used. I'm running the tires at 20 psi right now, can't really go any higher than that in those new tubeless tires (the new max pressure is lower than the 30 psi).

This is my first fat bike, I tried to search for additional information of those Kenda tires 30 TPI but it seems only Rad uses them (rather Kenda only makes them for Rad), so no data regarding puncture resistance vs others tires.

I guess we'll see in September if my trip would have gone smoothly.

I recently bought a Rad Rhino (EU version of the Rover). Just put about 200 miles in the first month of use. Didn't have flat during this time.

I'm preparing for a long trip in August (from 1200 to 2000 miles), so I just went tubeless and keeping the same Kenda stock tires since they are brand new. I used the split tube method. Regular floor pump was used. I'm running the tires at 20 psi right now, can't really go any higher than that in those new tubeless tires (the new max pressure is lower than the 30 psi).

This is my first fat bike, I tried to search for additional information of those Kenda tires 30 TPI but it seems only Rad uses them (rather Kenda only makes them for Rad), so no data regarding puncture resistance vs others tires.

I guess we'll see in September if my trip would have gone smoothly.
I use the original Tires from Rad, It’s the only place I can find 30 TPI from Kenda, have over 1100 miles on the tires, I use slime, and have not had a flat yet. Pulled a very large chunk of glass out of the tire, that left a hole in the tire, but the slime worked to seal the hole in the inner tube. Still holding after three months. Kenda from rad, is the only place I could find wire bead.

Back