Just purchased/received (8/25/23) a Lectric XPedition... (2 failed tubes)

dwoodul51

Region
USA
Hello - new member here. Hope I'm posting this in the correct location. Just purchased (8/24/23) a new Lectric XPedition. I'm 73 and have been riding bikes for many years and this is my first e-bike. Still ride a non-powered bike but wanted to try an electric. Purchased the 2-battery option and a second charger. Have only put 10 miles on the bike so far and love it - however, both tubes have failed since I got the bike on the road. Both times I found a small hole/failed seam on the inside of the tube on the rim side. Filled the tires to 30-35 lbs. I found no issues with the rim - the rim tape looks good so I'm assuming a bad batch of tubes. I ordered and received two new tubes on Amazon and have replaced both of them this AM (9/4/23). Using old tubes, I added a second layer of tube for the replacements as I have not yet found 20x3 heavy duty tubes and am not ready for the Tanus or similar product. Has anyone had an issue like this with a Lectric brand bike or the XPedition in particular? Also looking for heavy duty tires - Maybe Kenda or Sunlite..??

I'll post updates on the bike as I put more miles on it. I have added two drink cages, a second head and taillight, mirror and travel bag for spare tools and tubes. I bought the large Lectric cargo backet but it is heavy so may try a lightweight basket I have. I'm looking for heavy duty tires and tubes. Thanks for any input anyone can add. DW in Dallas.

Also - wanted to add that the bike was easy to unpack (watch the Lectric video on "first ride). I checked all adjustments and found everything OK. Had to adjust the seat height and handlebar for my height (5'8" at 190 lbs), and add air to the tires. No damage from shipping. Make sure you move the chain to the roller guide and, after reading the instructions, off I went. I only tried PAS 1-3 on the class 2 setting. The bike climbs hills like they aren't there and I can only imagine what the bike does on a class 3 setting in PAS 5. Rode 10-13 miles and batteries still show a full charge - then the tires went flat. At least they held out 'till I was home... :) Update: Put 30+ miles on the new tubes with no issues so far. Lectric has not responded yet as of (9/6/23) but I know they are busy. Again - I love the bike but HATE flats. Will use the bike now for shopping as we are lucky enough to have a couple of shopping centers just off a bike trail that's accessible to our house.

I have a dual battery Xpedition on the way as well. My prior (and still owned) XP 3.0 has been very reliable, with no tube issues. When Lectric gets back to you they'll make it right. I found a broken spoke (I think from the pedal when folded) and they replied the following day and sent out replacements 2 day later.

If I was to guess the tire installer at the factory was getting heavy handed during install. I have a slight dread removing and installing fat tires. I have a set of ancient Pedro's tire levers that are metal core with a plastic shell.

I've used Tannus inserts before. To my not-so surprise when I did get a flat with the Tannus liners and went to pull the tube I found the Tannus liners thin as a few sheets of paper! Seems your supposed to deflate the tire when not using the bike with Tannus installed. My honest opinion, go with Mr. Tuffy tire liners instead. Proven and way easier to install.

And yes, the Lectric large basket is heavy! I'm in the process of finding something lighter. I have the Lectric cooler bag (that is black!) but it works pretty good and the zippers haven't failed yet. The replacement lighter basket will have to fit the cooler bag.

Thanks for the heads-up on the tubes.

It's good to hear from an owner who doesn't panic and send the bike back over a flat tire, or have the bike sit unfixed for weeks while waiting for a factory resolution. Good for you.
However, it's probably true that Lectric has shipped quite a few bikes with bad tubes. Perhaps an email to their support folks might get you some compensation,

You can use 20x4.0 tubes, which are widely available. Going oversized will not affect the ability to safely mount the tire or risk a pinch flat. The tube will not be distended and by that measure will be a little thicker and more pliable. I regularly oversize tubes and am using some 26x3.5 tubes in my 26x2.8 cargo bike tires (Mongoose Envoy with custom wheelset). After that, put some sealant inside. If you're not aware of Flatout, its essentially Slime 2.0. Never hardens and never needs refilling/replacement. Also makes an excellent tubeless sealant. If you have presta tubes hopefully you bought them with removable cores as thats how you get the sealant into the tube.

Go to this 3-page thread. It should answer all of your questions/concerns.
https://forums.electricbikereview.com/threads/need-suggestions-for-tire-replacement.42914/page-2
My 2021 ArielRider X52 ebike beast currently has 8,000+ miles on the Shinko 241 tire. It should still be good for at least another 2,000 miles.
I ordered a tube set thru Lectric (on sale) when I placed my Xpedition order. I'm hoping they are pre-Slimed but time will tell when the order comes in. I've moaned about Slime inner tubes in the past because if you get a pin hole they leave a neon green racing stripe on you!

Who discovered the Shinkos fitting 20" fat tire wheels? Pretty cool discovery!

Hello - new member here. Hope I'm posting this in the correct location. Just purchased (8/24/23) a new Lectric XPedition. I'm 73 and have been riding bikes for many years and this is my first e-bike. Still ride a non-powered bike but wanted to try an electric. Purchased the 2-battery option and a second charger. Have only put 10 miles on the bike so far and love it - however, both tubes have failed since I got the bike on the road. Both times I found a small hole/failed seam on the inside of the tube on the rim side. Filled the tires to 30-35 lbs. I found no issues with the rim - the rim tape looks good so I'm assuming a bad batch of tubes. I ordered and received two new tubes on Amazon and have replaced both of them this AM (9/4/23). Using old tubes, I added a second layer of tube for the replacements as I have not yet found 20x3 heavy duty tubes and am not ready for the Tanus or similar product. Has anyone had an issue like this with a Lectric brand bike or the XPedition in particular? Also looking for heavy duty tires - Maybe Kenda or Sunlite..??

I'll post updates on the bike as I put more miles on it. I have added two drink cages, a second head and taillight, mirror and travel bag for spare tools and tubes. I bought the large Lectric cargo backet but it is heavy so may try a lightweight basket I have. I'm looking for heavy duty tires and tubes. Thanks for any input anyone can add. DW in Dallas.

Also - wanted to add that the bike was easy to unpack (watch the Lectric video on "first ride). I checked all adjustments and found everything OK. Had to adjust the seat height and handlebar for my height (5'8" at 190 lbs), and add air to the tires. No damage from shipping. Make sure you move the chain to the roller guide and, after reading the instructions, off I went. I only tried PAS 1-3 on the class 2 setting. The bike climbs hills like they aren't there and I can only imagine what the bike does on a class 3 setting in PAS 5. Rode 10-13 miles and batteries still show a full charge - then the tires went flat. At least they held out 'till I was home... :) Update: Put 30+ miles on the new tubes with no issues so far. Lectric has not responded yet as of (9/6/23) but I know they are busy. Again - I love the bike but HATE flats. Will use the bike now for shopping as we are lucky enough to have a couple of shopping centers just off a bike trail that's accessible to our house.
I also had a flat tire from my XP 3.0 when it arrived the front tire was a little low we filled it up and within the first 10 miles it popped. We let Lectric know and they reimbursed us the price of the tube and grinding down any burs on the inside of the wheel, maybe you should have contacted them before ordering your replacement tubes, you could have gotten reimbursement as well because this is a known issue with their tires.

Lectric is great. I call it the gateway ebike drug! Ordered an XP years ago and it still runs like a champ. Lectric stands behind their stuff. The original tires are very thin. My suggestion would be to load em up with Slime until they wear out and then spend 30 or 40 bucks a tire and upgrade. Happy cycling...

Hi dwoodul51.
The proof is in the 3 photo's below.
The 2 photo's showing a blue rim are the SHINKO 241 motorcycle tires at mile #8,726 of wear. (1 is the rear tire.. 1 is the front tire.)
The other photo (showing the white bike frame) is another of my ebikes with a Kenda Juggernaut 26"x4" bicycle tire. It (the tire) currently has 3,000 miles of use. I will continue to ride on it until bare threads/holes show through all the way around (another 1,000+ miles). Why? Just because I can. By the way, the white-frame ebike has 15,600 total miles. It has never had a flat.
The blue rim ebike is my 2021 ArielRider X52. It now has 16,383 total miles.

Attachments

• FILE0005.JPG
    FILE0005.JPG
    303.1 KB · Views: 109
  • FILE0012.JPG
    FILE0012.JPG
    312.9 KB · Views: 111
  • FILE0027.JPG
    FILE0027.JPG
    308.9 KB · Views: 107
Hi dwoodul51.
The proof is in the 3 photo's below.
The 2 photo's showing a blue rim are the SHINKO 241 motorcycle tires at mile #8,726 of wear. (1 is the rear tire.. 1 is the front tire.)
The other photo (showing the white bike frame) is another of my ebikes with a Kenda Juggernaut 26"x4" bicycle tire. It (the tire) currently has 3,000 miles of use. I will continue to ride on it until bare threads/holes show through all the way around (another 1,000+ miles). Why? Just because I can. By the way, the white-frame ebike has 15,600 total miles. It has never had a flat.
The blue rim ebike is my 2021 ArielRider X52. It now has 16,383 total miles.
Thanks for all the info. I'm going for the SHINKO 241 and will update on the ride etc. Thx, DW

I ordered a tube set thru Lectric (on sale) when I placed my Xpedition order. I'm hoping they are pre-Slimed but time will tell when the order comes in. I've moaned about Slime inner tubes in the past because if you get a pin hole they leave a neon green racing stripe on you!

Who discovered the Shinkos fitting 20" fat tire wheels? Pretty cool discovery!
My XPedition tubes were slimed when the new bike arrived.

Go to this 3-page thread. It should answer all of your questions/concerns.
https://forums.electricbikereview.com/threads/need-suggestions-for-tire-replacement.42914/page-2
My 2021 ArielRider X52 ebike beast currently has 8,000+ miles on the Shinko 241 tire. It should still be good for at least another 2,000 miles.
First - thanks for all the info - it saved me a lot of time. Second, I ride mostly on road/bike paths/street. Are these SHINKO tires smooth enough for that type of riding? Thx, DW

Yes, they are smooth as butter. Absolutely quiet. Prior to the Shinko 241 tires, I was using SHINKO 244 tires. The 244's were very noisy-- other trail users could always hear me/my tires approaching. The SHINKO 241's, on other other hand, though quite knobby/gnarly in appearance, are so quiet I can even hear the rear hub motor at work. Amazing, fer sure.
They will be my go-to tire for all future appropriately sized ebike tires (20").
By the way, 99.99% of my riding is smooth concrete/asphalt.

As for your current bicycle inner tubes/SLIME: yes, go for it. I still use SLIME in all my ebike tubes because I bought a gallon of it 4 years ago. I used 20"x4" bicycle inner tubes (original equipment) while riding the 244's (also size 16"x3"). I decapitated the rear wheel valve stem while playing in the snow due to a huge amount of motor torque and NO friction/resistance-- ripped that bicycle valve stem right off. The wheel was spinning like a beast. The tire remained stationary. Ouch. A tough lesson learned. A motorcycle inner tube stem will negate that potential malady. So, a motorcycle tube used ONLY on your rear wheel might be an option.

Also, congratulations on your choice of cargo bike. I discovered that I have a physical Lectric ebike shop less than a mile from my condo. However, I intend to go with this ebike instead https://ride.m2sbikes.com/products/all-go-cargo because it can handle a 20ah battery(20 gallon fuel tank). I already own four 20ah batteries (all Reention Dorado style outer casing) in 48volt, 52volt, and 60volt that will snap right in. Plus, I already own a 2018 model year AND a 2019 model year of the M2S ebike brand.
By the way, I am 72 years old, 5'9" tall, and weight 195 pounds.
Ride It Like Ya Stole It.

Last edited:
I already own four 20ah batteries (all Reention Dorado style outer casing) in 48volt, 52volt, and 60volt that will snap right in. Plus, I already own a 2018 model year AND a 2019 model year of the M2S ebike brand.
That 60v pack may toast your 48v controller. No issue on the 52v pack on a 48v system but I know 60v DIY systems I've worked with in the past have had to have 60v-capable controllers (also 60v capable displays. That was to keep the displays from throwing an error and shutting down when they read how high the voltage is).

Different brands of controllers and displays may be less sensitive so it may be fine, but there's a risk.

You can use 20x4.0 tubes, which are widely available. Going oversized will not affect the ability to safely mount the tire or risk a pinch flat. The tube will not be distended and by that measure will be a little thicker and more pliable. I regularly oversize tubes and am using some 26x3.5 tubes in my 26x2.8 cargo bike tires (Mongoose Envoy with custom wheelset). After that, put some sealant inside. If you're not aware of Flatout, its essentially Slime 2.0. Never hardens and never needs refilling/replacement. Also makes an excellent tubeless sealant. If you have presta tubes hopefully you bought them with removable cores as thats how you get the sealant into the tube.
Which Flatout formula are you using?
I'm not coming across any recommended for bikes or tube'd tires

The Sportsman Formula. They have a formula meant for bikes - it has different labeling but everything I have heard about it is it sucks. There is an ATV formula kept in stock on the shelf at Home Depot that a Flatout rep told me is functionally no different than Sportsman, but its a little more expensive at H-D than it is at Amazon. I'd only buy at HD if its something you just have to have today.

The Sportsman formula is what Flatout tested on fat bikes with BackCou. Also I am pretty much the first guy who used it for a tubeless sealant. Quite some time ago I spoke to the product manager for bicycles and small vehicles at the company and at that time they hadn't even tested it for tubeless and could only guess at its efficacy. Turns out its awesome.

There are people here who have had problems with it on higher pressure tires. I had a later conversation on that with another Flatout rep and they claimed tire pressure of any sort was not an issue. Myself personally I've had it fix flats on 60 psi tubeless Maxxis Aggressors, 26x2.30. It worked a miracle on a tubeless 26x4.8 Snowshoe XL, and another one earlier when that same tire was running with a tube.

Hah I just came across this. Its Flatout Sportsman formula, relabeled by BakCou - still calling it Flatout by MultiSeal - and it now has a little picture of a fat bike on the label. And they jacked up the price by fifteen bucks.

Hah I just came across this. Its Flatout Sportsman formula, relabeled by BakCou - still calling it Flatout by MultiSeal - and it now has a little picture of a fat bike on the label. And they jacked up the price by fifteen bucks.

$15 more... That's got to be the right one!

We've had two of the XP2.0st bikes since November 2021. One of the mods was to put FlatOut into all four tires.

To my amazement, I've never had to touch the tires since then, never had to add air. About 500 miles of use.

Back