Our Rides in Words, Photos & Videos

An unfortunate event [18 months ago—early 2020]…
[Reposted from the 2020 Our Rides thread.]

Riese & Müller describe the Gates Carbon Drive in one word, indestructible. On yesterday's ride [2020–01–31] that proved to be not quite the case.​
I set off on an old favourite from Wacol in Brisbane's west to the sea and then, after refreshment at Pam's Café at Nudgee Beach, back to Wacol via a slightly shorter route. It would be around 110 km on bike paths or quiet roads all the way.​
As I passed through the city centre on the return trip, I took a break in the leafy shade of Roma Street Parkland for a final raid on the contents of my pannier. A local company's employees were enjoying an afternoon off work playing cricket – the final Friday afternoon of each month is always given over to team-building exercises, I was assured. Why not?​
Twenty minutes later I was pedalling along the riverside bikeway just where the photo of the paddlewheeler was taken; a right turn took me through a cyclists-only tunnel beneath a busy road and past the unloved CityCyles photographed on Monday (the public holiday) and then on to a minor road where I was stopped, as usual, by a red traffic light. I swear it sees me coming!​
Green. I pulled away gently in Tour mode. Halfway across the intersection the pedals spun uselessly out of control. I coasted over to the left. The Gates Carbon Drive belt was off both the front and rear sprockets and, in each of two places, a dozen or more of its 'teeth' were missing.​
From apparently faultless to utterly useless in one revolution; and so ended the first month of 2020.​
Click here for thread titled Gates Carbon Drive : User Experiences.​
—————

My ebikes rated on a five-star system:
  • 2021 R&M Homage (derailleur)—13,000 km
    3 stars (acceptable)
  • 2019 R&M Homage (Rohloff E-14)—30,000 km
    2 stars (seriously flawed design)
  • 2018 Trek Powerfly (derailleur)—12,000 km
    4 stars (well above average)
  • 2017 Kalkhoff Integrale (Di2 electronic IGH)—4,000 km
    1 star (junk)
Well that sounds exactly like carbon overall, great until it suddenly isnt.
Ive watched endless videos of it failing in frames and wheels.
Ive always wondered if a small stone got in, does it have any stretch to allow it to pass around the sprocket, it would seem to me that would result in micro damage that would send it in the way to failure.

1658996738032.png

Ever since my dad passed at the end of May I have been waiting for the right day to cycle all the way to St Andrews and back from home in his memory, it was a special place for him and our family as we holidayed there almost every year in my younger days! Dad continued to visit every year until he was no longer able to, he just loved the place! I last cycled there from home back in 2018 and that time I travelled down the coast from St Andrews, this time I cycled up the coast and I couldn't have picked a better day! It wasn't luck or anything, it was meticulously planned and it was just a case of hoping the weather forecast was close to being right....

I had recently purchased a third battery so it made sense to take it along for peace of mind and I always had the option of extending my ride, I actually completed the run to St Andrews on my original battery with 83 miles covered! I used eco mode all the way and with very litttle wind to speak of and not a lot of climbing it wasn't too difficult! When I switched to my second battery the wind had picked up and the climbing was beginning so I stayed in level 2 assist which worked perfectly and I managed just over 50 miles when I switched to battery 3, I actually still had 31% left but with only 20 or so miles to go now and lots of climbing I knew it was time to go to level 3 assist and give my legs a break! ;)

I set off just after 5am and it was a chilly 7C, no problem as I was dressed for it and it was rather refreshing! I started off on my local back roads with nothing else in sight, the local loch was shrouded in the morning mist and the sun was just rising!

1658998252908.png

1658998326411.png

I was heading for the Forth bridges which lead to the coastal road, the morning commuters were starting to arrive so things were getting a little busier on the road! No such problems crossing the bridge though, only a few cyclists and a couple of walkers!

1658998669416.png

As I was riding along the coast I spotted a photo opportunity at Pettycur Bay, I had a nice view of the bridges across the Forth!

1658999428325.png

1658999499295.png

As I was taking the photos I heard a tractor starting up and looked round to see it pulling this static caravan up the hill, I was worried for the white car parked there! The caravan was scraping the ground at times, the noise was truly deafening! I wouldn't fancy this guys job taking those caravans up those hills....

1658999731492.png

I said earlier that I only used eco assist all the way up but I forgot about this hill, I had to use level 3 assist due to all the weight I was carrying...this is at the top! Ridewithgps was showing my maximum gradient as 13.9% :rolleyes:

1659000019953.png

Onwards towards Kirkcaldy and one of my favourite roads, especially going up the coast!

1659000230718.png

On the promenade at Kirkcaldy!

1659000429869.png

A few miles up the coast I arrived in Elie where I stopped for a picnic, no photos of said picnic sorry... @DiggyGun 🤣 but I had 2 rolls containing cooked ham and tomatoes followed by a chocolate bar! My bike was looking on in awe and probably envy!;) Not a bad view to enjoy lunch! On a side note, you can see my bags are well strapped down, I purchased Rok straps and I have to say they are excellent and so easy to attach and remove!

1659000700752.png

1659000941695.png

Onwards up the coast to Crail where some brave souls were sampling the very cold waters of the north sea in Crail harbour!

1659001153574.png

Only around 10 miles to St Andrews now and I could see some nasty dark clouds in the distance, I looked at the latest forecast and it was showing possible light showers around noon! Just when I was arriving, looking at those clouds didn't make me think of light showers though...luckily the clouds were just inland of the town and I never saw any rain at all! I was really surprised to see the town so quiet as its normally very busy at this time of year, the beach was sparsely populated! It may have been down to the bitterly cold wind blowing off the north sea though!

1659001638138.png

1659001705225.png

St Andrews harbour!

1659001797242.png

It was now time to set off home and I knew I was in for some busy roads, the road out of St Andrews can be pretty hectic and being a weekday there was sure to be lots of trucks! Thankfully there is a good cycle path just as you leave the town and it takes you down to Guardbridge a few miles away, I only saw another 2 cyclists on the path and no walkers so it was perfect! Once I reached Guardbridge it was time to join the main road again but thankfully it wasn't too bad, until I reached Dairsie where it started to get busy so I stopped for some photos and waited until the traffic cleared a bit!
1659002332199.png

1659002437436.png

I was now heading for Cupar which is notoriously busy, it didn't disappoint...I was passing through when I remebered about a back road I had to take once when the main road was closed! It was my best decision of the day, virtually no traffic to speak of and some amazing roads and some nice views!

1659002907463.png

1659004190911.png

1659004283547.png

That was the last of the photos, it was time to concentrate on the roads and enjoy the rest of the ride! In 2012 I cycled a similar route on my standard road bike and I covered 154.7 miles, I later discovered it was just short of 250km! My goal today was to pass that and maybe go a little further, after my last battery change I was getting pretty tired so I cranked up the assist to level 4 for the big climbs and it certainly made them so much easier! Recently I had to climb them in eco mode and it was a struggle, having that extra battery sure puts a smile on your face!😁

What a fantastic ride that was, it will live long in the memory! Rides like this only come along very occassionally, it would be stupid to attempt them regularly but I just love a challenge! I will rest now and recharge my batteries (not the bike ones) and look forward to August riding now! I have only ridden 8 times this month but my average is 84.75, best month of the year so far with 678 miles!

Attachments

• elevation_profile94.jpg
    elevation_profile94.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 101
  • trip-97847000-map-full94.png
    trip-97847000-map-full94.png
    326.8 KB · Views: 104
My left leg would need to be amputated if I lived there :D I barely survive Polish winters! I like when it is very warm :)

P.S. What I do hate about winters is I need to spend a lot of time to put warm clothes on. Then, the goggles, balaclava and all...
Don't forget the electric socks or insoles and then the overbooties! And (AND is permitted at the beginning of a sentence - it serves as a kind of emphasis) for me that's only below 40F (4.4C)

View attachment 130411

Ever since my dad passed at the end of May I have been waiting for the right day to cycle all the way to St Andrews and back from home in his memory, it was a special place for him and our family as we holidayed there almost every year in my younger days! Dad continued to visit every year until he was no longer able to, he just loved the place! I last cycled there from home back in 2018 and that time I travelled down the coast from St Andrews, this time I cycled up the coast and I couldn't have picked a better day! It wasn't luck or anything, it was meticulously planned and it was just a case of hoping the weather forecast was close to being right....

I had recently purchased a third battery so it made sense to take it along for peace of mind and I always had the option of extending my ride, I actually completed the run to St Andrews on my original battery with 83 miles covered! I used eco mode all the way and with very litttle wind to speak of and not a lot of climbing it wasn't too difficult! When I switched to my second battery the wind had picked up and the climbing was beginning so I stayed in level 2 assist which worked perfectly and I managed just over 50 miles when I switched to battery 3, I actually still had 31% left but with only 20 or so miles to go now and lots of climbing I knew it was time to go to level 3 assist and give my legs a break! ;)

I set off just after 5am and it was a chilly 7C, no problem as I was dressed for it and it was rather refreshing! I started off on my local back roads with nothing else in sight, the local loch was shrouded in the morning mist and the sun was just rising!

View attachment 130412
View attachment 130413

I was heading for the Forth bridges which lead to the coastal road, the morning commuters were starting to arrive so things were getting a little busier on the road! No such problems crossing the bridge though, only a few cyclists and a couple of walkers!

View attachment 130414

As I was riding along the coast I spotted a photo opportunity at Pettycur Bay, I had a nice view of the bridges across the Forth!

View attachment 130415
View attachment 130416

As I was taking the photos I heard a tractor starting up and looked round to see it pulling this static caravan up the hill, I was worried for the white car parked there! The caravan was scraping the ground at times, the noise was truly deafening! I wouldn't fancy this guys job taking those caravans up those hills....

View attachment 130417

I said earlier that I only used eco assist all the way up but I forgot about this hill, I had to use level 3 assist due to all the weight I was carrying...this is at the top! Ridewithgps was showing my maximum gradient as 13.9% :rolleyes:

View attachment 130418

Onwards towards Kirkcaldy and one of my favourite roads, especially going up the coast!

View attachment 130419

On the promenade at Kirkcaldy!

View attachment 130420

A few miles up the coast I arrived in Elie where I stopped for a picnic, no photos of said picnic sorry... @DiggyGun 🤣 but I had 2 rolls containing cooked ham and tomatoes followed by a chocolate bar! My bike was looking on in awe and probably envy!;) Not a bad view to enjoy lunch! On a side note, you can see my bags are well strapped down, I purchased Rok straps and I have to say they are excellent and so easy to attach and remove!

View attachment 130421
View attachment 130422

Onwards up the coast to Crail where some brave souls were sampling the very cold waters of the north sea in Crail harbour!

View attachment 130423

Only around 10 miles to St Andrews now and I could see some nasty dark clouds in the distance, I looked at the latest forecast and it was showing possible light showers around noon! Just when I was arriving, looking at those clouds didn't make me think of light showers though...luckily the clouds were just inland of the town and I never saw any rain at all! I was really surprised to see the town so quiet as its normally very busy at this time of year, the beach was sparsely populated! It may have been down to the bitterly cold wind blowing off the north sea though!

View attachment 130424
View attachment 130425

St Andrews harbour!

View attachment 130426

It was now time to set off home and I knew I was in for some busy roads, the road out of St Andrews can be pretty hectic and being a weekday there was sure to be lots of trucks! Thankfully there is a good cycle path just as you leave the town and it takes you down to Guardbridge a few miles away, I only saw another 2 cyclists on the path and no walkers so it was perfect! Once I reached Guardbridge it was time to join the main road again but thankfully it wasn't too bad, until I reached Dairsie where it started to get busy so I stopped for some photos and waited until the traffic cleared a bit!
View attachment 130427
View attachment 130428

I was now heading for Cupar which is notoriously busy, it didn't disappoint...I was passing through when I remebered about a back road I had to take once when the main road was closed! It was my best decision of the day, virtually no traffic to speak of and some amazing roads and some nice views!

View attachment 130429
View attachment 130430
View attachment 130431

That was the last of the photos, it was time to concentrate on the roads and enjoy the rest of the ride! In 2012 I cycled a similar route on my standard road bike and I covered 154.7 miles, I later discovered it was just short of 250km! My goal today was to pass that and maybe go a little further, after my last battery change I was getting pretty tired so I cranked up the assist to level 4 for the big climbs and it certainly made them so much easier! Recently I had to climb them in eco mode and it was a struggle, having that extra battery sure puts a smile on your face!😁

What a fantastic ride that was, it will live long in the memory! Rides like this only come along very occassionally, it would be stupid to attempt them regularly but I just love a challenge! I will rest now and recharge my batteries (not the bike ones) and look forward to August riding now! I have only ridden 8 times this month but my average is 84.75, best month of the year so far with 678 miles!
What a day for an epic ride and you’ve managed to capture so much detail in those images. Your Pop would have been proud.

Has anyone ever considered these contraptions, as long as its pedal assist, an electric bicycle can be anything.
They really are quite nifty and you could imagine a world where they are the norm.

I’ll take one of each! Seriously, it’s amazing to see so many innovative designs in the field of HPVs. I still have recollections of seeing a rather large person crammed into a small streamlined frame enclosed in hi tech composite and bathed in sweat after a long day competing under the hot sun.

@RabH

Nice photos, been a while since I was last up in that neck of the woods.

As far as we’re concerned, a picnic is a picnic, no matter how big or small. Main thing is to treat as part of the ride and enjoy it along with the scenery.

Well that sounds exactly like carbon overall, great until it suddenly isnt.
Ive watched endless videos of it failing in frames and wheels.
Ive always wondered if a small stone got in, does it have any stretch to allow it to pass around the sprocket, it would seem to me that would result in micro damage that would send it in the way to failure.
I’ve had a stone in mine a couple of times. Makes a clicking / crunching noise as it goes round, but left no damage.

Murphy's Law

The title needs no introduction. Besides having global recognition and plenty of internet presence, it tends to slap each of us along side our heads periodically. More so when we're not expecting it.

Take this past Sunday for example. My friend G arrived home Saturday from 2 weeks in Ireland and, after sleeping off the jet lag overnight, was bound and determined to pair up with me for a bike ride the next day. I had plans to do my favorite 24 mile paved road ride in the county below us, so texted her that prior evening we'd need to go early. As in not later than 7am. I was hoping she'd decline due to the timing and distance and the wretched heat and humidity that has been blanketing not only us in Virginia but the entire eastern US, and relieved I hadn't heard from her the rest of the evening. Nope. She texted me at 7am, while I was in bed getting a few more luxurious moments of shuteye, that she was ready. I was still under the covers, but woke enough to tell her to give me 30 minutes. 35 minutes later I was on my Vado and 10 minutes later pedaling up her driveway. The humidity was still tolerable, but barely. The heat was due to rise into the mid 90sF (high 30'sC) within a few hours.

And here's where Murphy's Law waltzes in, locked and loaded.

ML Strike 1 - During our last ride together more than 3 weeks ago, I'd noticed that G's back wheel on her Vado looked NQR. ("Not quite right"). At my suggestion she took the bike to her shop and they said "3 weeks". It was now 3 weeks later and her repaired bike (a spoke was broken among other things) was in the bed of her truck having been picked up the prior day (and left overnight in the truck and in the rain). Being handicapped sucks enough, but being unable to get your bike out of your truck bed without help sucks worse. (Don't ask why she didn't put the bike carrier on her car. Just...don't. ) I lifted the bike out and down for her, noticing it still had the battery attached. She turned it on and we looked at one another. The battery had been already drained from our prior ride, hadn't received a courtesy charge from the shop, and showed barely enough power for my planned route. 3 out of 5 lights glowed and that 3rd light looked weak. I estimated she had about 25 miles. It would be tight. I suggested she ride her LaFree, but she declined. (Don't ask why. I have no clue as it was fully charged and ready to go. Again, Murphy's Law on decision making means "things are bound to NOT go well".)

ML Strike 2 - We set out into the rising humidity, chatting about her trip. At about 11 miles into her ride (13 For me), shortly as we slipped into the county below us, G's lively convo of her trip took on a worried tone. Her bike battery showed 1 light (10 miles left), she said. We stopped, and reviewed the situation. There was no way we'd make the 24 mile loop. Not in a million years. We turned around and had recovered at least 1 mile when G' s worried voice relayed that the remaining light was now blinking. How in the world did it drain that fast? (Uh, Murphy's Law, remember?) Unfortunately we had a few hills to surmount before we had a clear shot to home. The option to take the 2 mile shorter gravel road route was on the table and we took it without question. Unfortunately, the bike had decided to simply blow out the final light like the remaining candle on a birthday cake and leave G all alone to pedal the dead bike home the 5+ remaining miles to her place (3 miles from mine) . Not an option thanks to her handicap.

ML Strike 3 - G managed to pedal the dead Vado a half mile to a mutual friend's driveway. That was a far as she could go. Mutual friend was at work so no help there. I told her I'd go home and get my spare Vado battery so that she could ride back to her place (6 miles of hilly gravel roads). What I didn't know, and G failed to text me after I raced off the 3 miles to my place was...she didn't have her key to unlock her bike battery. The extra battery would have done no good at all. Meanwhile I had my Vado flat out, flying down the gravel road as the heat and humidity was soaring into the "run for the AC and don't look back" range. I raced up my driveway drenched in sweat, and made an executive decision that, unknowingly, was the saving grace of the day. Instead of grabbing the extra battery, I parked my Vado, grabbed the bike rack to put it on the electric car, and drove back down the gravel road with the car's excellent AC set to "Arctic blast" to rescue G. As I pulled up she was sitting on a big rock at the head of the friend's driveway, her dead bike on the opposite side. Her head down she was looking a bit dejected. Murphy's Law had won this round. I felt bad for her so I opened the passenger door letting out a flood of frigid air while gleefully announcing: "Air Conditioning!!" She smiled. The universe was instantly forgiven. The heat and humidity raged outside the cool interior of the car as we transported her dead bike back home in style to its charger, and then I headed home to plug in my Vado. I had logged 20.9 miles. Just a few short of what I'd planned, although certainly not the route I'd planned, but...you know. Murphy's Law. What else can I say.

No photos because of Murphy's Law. But you can see our route below, courtesy of Murphy.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220728_155316.jpg
    Screenshot_20220728_155316.jpg
    260.4 KB · Views: 90
Last edited:
23 beautiful, sunny, breezy miles on Whidbey:

Screenshot_20220728-125334.png
Yes, I know it says 22 🤪. I had to add a mile (actually, it's a bit more than a mile but I'm rounding down) for the ride to the starting point, since I hadn't turned anything but the actual bike on before setting out!

Lovely view across Penn Cove:

PXL_20220728_171336077.MP.jpg

Water everywhere... It's an island 😁:

PXL_20220728_171344119.jpg
PXL_20220728_173643423.jpg
PXL_20220728_173658191.jpg

"Tugging" a house on a barge:
PXL_20220728_173723499~2.jpg

Another fine biking day ☺️☺️☺️!

I had some awesome E biking on a recent Viking River Cruise….Budapest, Vienna, Passau, Regensburg, and the crown jewel ♦️ 💎…..
Prague on a fat tire E bike tour, 1:1 with the bike shop guide 😍
First time ever on a fat tire E bike and what a perfect bike for Praha and it’s many cobblestones and many pedestrian/ bike only areas!
We saw more in 3+ hours than you could see in 3 days walking , it was the highlight of the trip 🏆
And experienced on my birthday 🎂 for an extra thrill.
Ok, who wants to do a Danube River E bike tour? I am wanting more of this!

Attachments

• 8E13E9DB-05AD-46BC-A42B-C923A5F86627.jpeg
    8E13E9DB-05AD-46BC-A42B-C923A5F86627.jpeg
    108.2 KB · Views: 90
  • D1E775E1-A92F-442F-943B-E0DF69F747FB.jpeg
    D1E775E1-A92F-442F-943B-E0DF69F747FB.jpeg
    359.6 KB · Views: 92
  • F56EE8A7-6459-43F1-942B-2307F3BF28F9.jpeg
    F56EE8A7-6459-43F1-942B-2307F3BF28F9.jpeg
    67.7 KB · Views: 97
Back