Our Rides in Words, Photos & Videos

View attachment 130411

Ever since my dad passed at the end of May I have been waiting for the right day to cycle all the way to St Andrews and back from home in his memory, it was a special place for him and our family as we holidayed there almost every year in my younger days! Dad continued to visit every year until he was no longer able to, he just loved the place! I last cycled there from home back in 2018 and that time I travelled down the coast from St Andrews, this time I cycled up the coast and I couldn't have picked a better day! It wasn't luck or anything, it was meticulously planned and it was just a case of hoping the weather forecast was close to being right....

I had recently purchased a third battery so it made sense to take it along for peace of mind and I always had the option of extending my ride, I actually completed the run to St Andrews on my original battery with 83 miles covered! I used eco mode all the way and with very litttle wind to speak of and not a lot of climbing it wasn't too difficult! When I switched to my second battery the wind had picked up and the climbing was beginning so I stayed in level 2 assist which worked perfectly and I managed just over 50 miles when I switched to battery 3, I actually still had 31% left but with only 20 or so miles to go now and lots of climbing I knew it was time to go to level 3 assist and give my legs a break! ;)

I set off just after 5am and it was a chilly 7C, no problem as I was dressed for it and it was rather refreshing! I started off on my local back roads with nothing else in sight, the local loch was shrouded in the morning mist and the sun was just rising!

View attachment 130412
View attachment 130413

I was heading for the Forth bridges which lead to the coastal road, the morning commuters were starting to arrive so things were getting a little busier on the road! No such problems crossing the bridge though, only a few cyclists and a couple of walkers!

View attachment 130414

As I was riding along the coast I spotted a photo opportunity at Pettycur Bay, I had a nice view of the bridges across the Forth!

View attachment 130415
View attachment 130416

As I was taking the photos I heard a tractor starting up and looked round to see it pulling this static caravan up the hill, I was worried for the white car parked there! The caravan was scraping the ground at times, the noise was truly deafening! I wouldn't fancy this guys job taking those caravans up those hills....

View attachment 130417

I said earlier that I only used eco assist all the way up but I forgot about this hill, I had to use level 3 assist due to all the weight I was carrying...this is at the top! Ridewithgps was showing my maximum gradient as 13.9% :rolleyes:

View attachment 130418

Onwards towards Kirkcaldy and one of my favourite roads, especially going up the coast!

View attachment 130419

On the promenade at Kirkcaldy!

View attachment 130420

A few miles up the coast I arrived in Elie where I stopped for a picnic, no photos of said picnic sorry... @DiggyGun 🤣 but I had 2 rolls containing cooked ham and tomatoes followed by a chocolate bar! My bike was looking on in awe and probably envy!;) Not a bad view to enjoy lunch! On a side note, you can see my bags are well strapped down, I purchased Rok straps and I have to say they are excellent and so easy to attach and remove!

View attachment 130421
View attachment 130422

Onwards up the coast to Crail where some brave souls were sampling the very cold waters of the north sea in Crail harbour!

View attachment 130423

Only around 10 miles to St Andrews now and I could see some nasty dark clouds in the distance, I looked at the latest forecast and it was showing possible light showers around noon! Just when I was arriving, looking at those clouds didn't make me think of light showers though...luckily the clouds were just inland of the town and I never saw any rain at all! I was really surprised to see the town so quiet as its normally very busy at this time of year, the beach was sparsely populated! It may have been down to the bitterly cold wind blowing off the north sea though!

View attachment 130424
View attachment 130425

St Andrews harbour!

View attachment 130426

It was now time to set off home and I knew I was in for some busy roads, the road out of St Andrews can be pretty hectic and being a weekday there was sure to be lots of trucks! Thankfully there is a good cycle path just as you leave the town and it takes you down to Guardbridge a few miles away, I only saw another 2 cyclists on the path and no walkers so it was perfect! Once I reached Guardbridge it was time to join the main road again but thankfully it wasn't too bad, until I reached Dairsie where it started to get busy so I stopped for some photos and waited until the traffic cleared a bit!
View attachment 130427
View attachment 130428

I was now heading for Cupar which is notoriously busy, it didn't disappoint...I was passing through when I remebered about a back road I had to take once when the main road was closed! It was my best decision of the day, virtually no traffic to speak of and some amazing roads and some nice views!

View attachment 130429
View attachment 130430
View attachment 130431

That was the last of the photos, it was time to concentrate on the roads and enjoy the rest of the ride! In 2012 I cycled a similar route on my standard road bike and I covered 154.7 miles, I later discovered it was just short of 250km! My goal today was to pass that and maybe go a little further, after my last battery change I was getting pretty tired so I cranked up the assist to level 4 for the big climbs and it certainly made them so much easier! Recently I had to climb them in eco mode and it was a struggle, having that extra battery sure puts a smile on your face!😁

What a fantastic ride that was, it will live long in the memory! Rides like this only come along very occassionally, it would be stupid to attempt them regularly but I just love a challenge! I will rest now and recharge my batteries (not the bike ones) and look forward to August riding now! I have only ridden 8 times this month but my average is 84.75, best month of the year so far with 678 miles!
Wow, I don't think Scotland can contain 3-battery RabH! Maybe you need to start wearing a kilt on your rides just to increase the difficulty level ;)

Today's little adventure. Leave before 7:30am to try to beat the heat. My usual loop with an addition but I was bound and determined to take more photos and try to hit the Ballard Locks before the tourists. It was not to be. About ten miles into the ride I heard this ting or ping that was reminiscent of, yes, a broken spoke. And, YES, it was a broken spoke. So I dropped the locks from the route and headed the other ten miles home.

A mock up used to fight ship board fires. I've ridden past when it was ablaze.
PXL_20220728_144652550-.jpg

Some of the old building from when Discovery Park was Fort Lawton. Where an Italian war prisoner was hanged years ago. Those charged were exonerated - guilty went free.
PXL_20220728_151051808-.jpg

PXL_20220728_151245213c.jpg

Most of the buildings are closed and not used for any purpose.

PXL_20220728_151248391cr.jpg

A view of the sound. The walking trail is closer to the bluffs.
PXL_20220728_151612227-.jpg

PXL_20220728_151617091-.jpg

Affectionately known as the Golf Ball (on a tee)
PXL_20220728_151908668-.jpg

Every fort needs a chapel.
PXL_20220728_152025921.jpg

Madrone trees with their peeling bark revealing their cherry red inner bark. (of course, Capt Vancouver thought they were Magnolia Trees, hence the neighborhood is mis-named Magnolia) There is a Madrona neighborhood elsewhere in the city.
PXL_20220728_152625491-.jpg

PXL_20220728_152644607.jpg

Washington State Ferry. One of which crashed into it dock this morning doing substantial damage to the boat and car and the piers. No one was injured. Apparently, MILLIONS in damage. https://komonews.com/news/local/fauntleroy-ferry-crashes-into-damages-structure-at-terminal

PXL_20220728_153002306.jpg

PXL_20220728_153219134-.jpg

Smith Cove Park. Lowish tide.
PXL_20220728_154837787-.jpg

City skyline and Space Needle through the masts.
PXL_20220728_155424688-.jpg

Some Boeing jets on the way to assembly plant.
PXL_20220728_160530101-.jpg

No locks as the broken spoke cut short the ride. Home by 9:20am. Bike in shop at 10am. Broken spoke and a bent one next to it are being replaced as are my rotors.

Today's little adventure. Leave before 7:30am to try to beat the heat. My usual loop with an addition but I was bound and determined to take more photos and try to hit the Ballard Locks before the tourists. It was not to be. About ten miles into the ride I heard this ting or ping that was reminiscent of, yes, a broken spoke. And, YES, it was a broken spoke. So I dropped the locks from the route and headed the other ten miles home.
Great report and heading out on the road at 7:30 am is what I should be doing instead of just sitting down for breakfast. It’s already approaching 20C by the time I get out of the house. :rolleyes:

Shame about the broken spoke but thankfully it was only one and you were still able to get in a decent ride.

Madrone trees with their peeling bark revealing their cherry red inner bark. (of course, Capt Vancouver thought they were Magnolia Trees, hence the neighborhood is mis-named Magnolia) There is a Madrona neighborhood elsewhere in the city.
Arbutus Madrone - I often hear British Columbians refer to them as Arbutus Trees but are they more commonly known as Madrones in WA State? Lovely specimens nonetheless.

I had recently purchased a third battery so it made sense to take it along for peace of mind and I always had the option of extending my ride, I actually completed the run to St Andrews on my original battery with 83 miles covered! I used eco mode all the way and with very litttle wind to speak of and not a lot of climbing it wasn't too difficult! When I switched to my second battery the wind had picked up and the climbing was beginning so I stayed in level 2 assist which worked perfectly and I managed just over 50 miles when I switched to battery 3, I actually still had 31% left but with only 20 or so miles to go now and lots of climbing I knew it was time to go to level 3 assist and give my legs a break! ;)
@Stefan Mikes The answer to your question is in the text above! I may have managed 162 miles on 2 batteries but the big climbs in the last 15 miles or so would probably have killed me!🤣

@Prairie Dog Thank you for your kind words :) Your comment reminded me of a moment in hospital with my dad the day before he passed, I arrived to visit him and one of the nurses was talking with him and I said "Are you ready for a shave?" He replied "Yes please" and he looked at the nurse and said "I'm so proud of him" Both the nurse and I welled up, I was may more proud of him!

@BlackHand The sight of my skinny legs in a kilt would put everybody off their food for weeks! 🤣

@kahn A hot day in Scotland? oh wait we did have 2! ;) Thank you for your kind words :)

@Readytoride What a day indeed, that Murphy guy has a lot to answer for! Thank you for your kind words :)

What's for lunch?

On today's ride along the bayside cycleway, I stopped for lunch at a deserted (by humans) spot where the mangroves meet the beach. As the tide was out the mangrove end (the muddy area) was patrolled by several dozen egrets each intent on stalking whatever might be stranded in the tidal puddles.

At the sandy end there was a distinct lack of decorum as a young lapwing, surely no more than a few days old, scampered around in pursuit of insects far too small for me to see. It was welcome to them!

Great Egret (Ardea alba)

Great Egret (Ardea alba)
The Great Egret is well represented around the world, as is the slightly smaller Intermediate Egret. Note how the Great Egret's bare skin extends behind (and below) the eye; an easy identifier when the species are not together.

The Great Egret (in flight) is the symbol of the National Audubon Society which is one of the oldest conservation groups in the world.

Masked Lapwing (black-shouldered)

Masked Lapwing (Black-shouldered)
(Vanellus miles novaehollandiae)

The tiny sand balls near the baby lapwing's feet were made by crabs. I'll attempt to bag some photos of them on my next ride beside the bay (tide permitting, of course).

Ditto, cottonwood trees in various states of collapse. Chez Cheese, I did take some photos today but my iPhone's lens was smudged by muddy water thrown up during the ride through the flooded Boondall Wetlands—the outcome of mounting it in a Quad Lock on the handlebar! Definitely, next ride!

Last edited by a moderator:
Great report and heading out on the road at 7:30 am is what I should be doing instead of just sitting down for breakfast. It’s already approaching 20C by the time I get out of the house. :rolleyes:

Shame about the broken spoke but thankfully it was only one and you were still able to get in a decent ride.

Arbutus Madrone - I often hear British Columbians refer to them as Arbutus Trees but are they more commonly known as Madrones in WA State? Lovely specimens nonetheless.
I guess we are not on a first name basis with Madrone trees.

68F/20C is damn pleasant till it warms again.

Right now it is 64F on my porch but we are expected to hit 90F again for the 4th day and possibly hit 6 days straight which is a new record. I keep thanking my lucky stars that I opted for mini-split air conditioners about 4 years ago. We had a stretch of unseemly hot weather also affected by thick forest fire smoke so we could not open windows. And I had brought back a cough from hell from Italy that persisted for 4 months and three courses of different antibiotics. (people in the room above me offered me cough suppressors so that they could sleep at night!!!! On the plane home folks near me were like "shun him!")

I am thinking of walking that same park this morning although the air quality is a Moderate 60. Three miles and about 400 feet mostly in forest with views out from the bluffs near the end of the loop.

What's for lunch?

On today's ride along the bayside cycleway, I stopped for lunch at a deserted (by humans) spot where the mangroves meet the beach. As the tide was out the mangrove end (the muddy area) was patrolled by several dozen egrets each intent on stalking whatever might be stranded in the tidal puddles.

At the sandy end there was a distinct lack of decorum as a young lapwing, surely no more than a few days old, scampered around in pursuit of insects far too small for me to see. It was welcome to them!

View attachment 130509
Great Egret (Ardea alba)
The Great Egret is well represented around the world, as is the slightly smaller Intermediate Egret. Note how the Great Egret's bare skin extends behind (and below) the eye; an easy identifier when the species are not together.

The Great Egret (in flight) is the symbol of the National Audubon Society which is one of the oldest conservation groups in the world.

View attachment 130510
Masked Lapwing (Black-shouldered)
(Vanellus miles novaehollandiae)

The tiny sand balls near the baby lapwing's feet were made by crabs. I'll attempt to bag some photos of them on my next ride beside the bay (tide permitting, of course).

Ditto, cottonwood trees in various states of collapse. Chez Cheese, I did take some photos today but my iPhone's lens was smudged by muddy water thrown up during the ride through the flooded Boondall Wetlands—the outcome of mounting it in a Quad Lock on the handlebar! Definitely, next ride!
Those and others you take are all iPhone photos? Wow. Terrific. I was going to ask what camera you use since your shots are terrific.

Those and others you take are all iPhone photos? Wow. Terrific. I was going to ask what camera you use since your shots are terrific.
Kahn, the iPhone is always with me but I often take along a small 'real camera' with a fixed wide-angle lens.

Alternatively, there is my not-too-big camera with a zoom lens. It was Stefan who suggested that I splurge on a tele zoom. If I recall correctly, Brix has a camera with an impressive zoom range.

Either way the camera is stowed in the front bag: there's no way I'd trust anything valuable in the rear panniers with their magnetic catches!

Last edited by a moderator:
Kahn, the iPhone is always with me but I often take along a small 'real camera' with a fixed wide angle lens or an alternative with a zoom lens that can slip into the front bag. There's no way I'd trust anything valuable in the rear panniers with their magnetic catches!
Like @kahn, I was also curious about the camera you use to post those stunning images but I’m also inclined to believe that you have an uncanny ability to capture your subjects at the precise moment that captivates the viewer. Well done, David!

Here on the western prairies we don't have such exotic birds to speak of but during the spring, we do see flocks of American Pelicans as they migrate further north to their breeding grounds and can be spotted on our local lakes or wetlands.

@Stefan Mikes The answer to your question is in the text above! I may have managed 162 miles on 2 batteries but the big climbs in the last 15 miles or so would probably have killed me!🤣
Yes, you wrote it!
My observation is three batteries are indeed necessary for anything longer than a 100 mile ride (with full power e-bike). I am still hesitant to make my first 200 km... My three batteries would do. My body would not :) True congratulations for your feat!

I had some awesome E biking on a recent Viking River Cruise….Budapest, Vienna, Passau, Regensburg, and the crown jewel ♦️ 💎…..
Prague on a fat tire E bike tour, 1:1 with the bike shop guide 😍
First time ever on a fat tire E bike and what a perfect bike for Praha and it’s many cobblestones and many pedestrian/ bike only areas!
We saw more in 3+ hours than you could see in 3 days walking , it was the highlight of the trip 🏆
And experienced on my birthday 🎂 for an extra thrill.
Ok, who wants to do a Danube River E bike tour? I am wanting more of this!
Have done that type of trip (Budapest to Amsterdam on Viking, and Bucharest to Budapest on Scenic ) and an e-bike trip is a fabulous way to spend the day.
I found Prague obnoxiously crowded when I was there last (Oct 2019) but I imagine with a guide it would have been super.

I did something like that in Belgrade Serbia, albeit with a larger group.
My steed, our moored riverboat (on the Save - about 1.5 Km downstream from the Danube) and our group stopped on a busy bridge crossing the Sava.
Interestingly, we took an elevator from the river level up to the bridge deck.

20191007_090039.jpg20191007_093754.jpg20191007_093757.jpg20191007_093817.jpg

Our guide and a most wonderful example of a Soviet era hotel.
20191007_105509.jpg20191007_105522.jpg

The obligatory hydration and then back to the boat...

20191007_113001.jpg20191007_141438.jpg20191007_141444.jpg

We also cycled in a smaller village, Bilje in Croatia, but on Analog bikes and all rural.
No suitable photos.

I think Vienna would be a wonderful place to tour on a bike!

Okay, here's this morning's walk in Discovery Park which was the main focus of yesterday's pictures.

Electric scooters and bike but not allowed on dirt paths
PXL_20220729_142107745-.jpg

Loop Trail about 3 miles and 400 feet of ups and downs
PXL_20220729_142509086-.jpg

Lots of Stinging Nettles along the forest trails.
PXL_20220729_142838513-.jpg

Light at the end of the tunnel
PXL_20220729_143517972-.jpg

Fort Lawton Post Cemetery - a national cemetery​

PXL_20220729_143640057-.jpg

Cedar Trees
PXL_20220729_145103811-.jpg

Native Americans would weave clothing, hats and baskets from it bark. (taken on a different day)
PXL_20220607_141330356-.jpg

If a tree falls in the forest (just last week!)
PXL_20220729_145157643-.jpg

Biked up this road on yesterday's adventure.
PXL_20220729_145545346-.jpg

Trail branch leading down to the beach and lighthouse
PXL_20220729_150201850-.jpg

Light house (walked down there about a week ago, not today)
PXL_20220607_145928451.jpg

A gap in geography shows 14,410 foot Mt Rainier in the distance.
PXL_20220607_145710277.jpg

The Golf Ball, again
PXL_20220729_151637218-.jpg

Window through Madrone trees
PXL_20220729_151720000-.jpg

Madrone's unique bark
PXL_20220729_151757840-.jpg

Looking across Puget Sound
PXL_20220729_152053603-.jpg

Yesterday's ride:
I needed tp pick up a prescription at my pharmacy, which was a block from my old office, as well as a small package at MEC (like REI in US).

It was going to be a hot day here at ~30C (we don't really do heat here) so headed out early.

Strava_1_220728.JPG

I have been playing around with the settings on my new'ish Garmin 830 and missed about 10kms of my ride - which I added in Blue.
So all told, about 50Km, which is is similar to my ride on Monday.

Strava_2_220728.JPG

First stop was at position #1 where an analog riding buddy lived - he joined me for the flatter sections. We headed towards downtown, where we crossed the Bow River a couple of times before heading into teh core, where there were cycle tracks (mostly protected lane ways) and we headed to MEC at position #2.

There, I noticed a woman who was taking her dog for a walk, only the dog wasn't walking...

20220728_110558.jpg

MEC, formerly known as "Mountain Equipment Co-op" but now "Mountain Equipment Company".
NO - the members were NOT consulted when the board sold it, but "stuff happens" and still a great outdoorsy store.

20220728_110611.jpg

After getting my stuff (just a belt) we headed over to the pharmacy and I picked up my prescription, we decided to try to grab some lunch at the BEST sandwich shop in Calgary at #3. It's called Thi-Thi and as far as we know, it was the first Vietnamese Banh-Mi place in Calgary. It too was very close to my office, so I frequented it often. We stood in line (there's always a line up unless you go early) but after 15 minutes of standing in the sun, we bailed and headed off for something else.

Back into an area called Eau Claire, there was a a couple of seasonal food trailers - one was hot dogs and similar, and one was Ice Cream - position #4.
We scarfed down a Bratwurst each and enjoyed sitting in the shade for a bit.
The Bow River pathways were packed and we saw the typical pathway idiots bombing through on al kinds of wheeled contraption, including those insane electric scooters.

20220728_120159.jpg

My buddy and I parted ways on the North side of the river and I proceed home.
Along the way, my chosen route was through a Cemetery, and where in places, they had the sprinklers on. I was sorely tempted tp hop the curb and ride through them, but thought that would be just a bit disrespectful so I just continued on via the roadways.

20220728_125922.jpg 20220728_125928.jpg

Got home and checked the temps - it was 31C in my breezeway.
Hopped in the shower and cooled down.

For a hot day, I was pretty frugal with the assist - only used 38% battery for an estimated 50kms. (blue line was the missing section on Strava stats)
I'm working towards a longer ride - as I ride +80% trails on a e-MTB, the longer rides are not really in scope for me.
If my neck could handle it, I'd love to get a Revolt. Lefty or Creo. but alas, that posture would probably wreck me...

It's hotter today, so it's a day off. I think I'll head out to the garage and bring the battery in - it might get pretty toasty in the garage.

Attachments

• 20220728_113038.jpg
    20220728_113038.jpg
    501.3 KB · Views: 96
  • 20220728_110628.jpg
    20220728_110628.jpg
    763.7 KB · Views: 85
@kahn - Hard to choose but this is the money shot for me. :cool:

View attachment 130558
Views, when available, of Mt Rainier are very hard to resist. It is a glorious peak. And, yes, I have climbed it ONCE. It was definitely work and a challenge. Ropes and ice axes and crampons and crevasses and steep slopes as well as effects of ELEVATION. You are more or less at the summit but have to cross the crater and then up a slope no steeper than a wheelchair ramp. Stroll across the level crater and BAM, that wheelchair ramp feels like a full on mountain.

My first bedroom in a rental house had a view outside the bedroom window of Mt Rainier (bisected by a telephone pole!!!) and I would get up, look out and "all was good with the world" when the mountain was visible.

That cleft in topography is just so perfectly placed. But you have to know where to look and some days it is just not there. Here's the more natural view

By the way, if you really zoom in on the already zoomed image, you can see the harbor cranes on Harbor Island and the West Seattle Bridge. The West Seattle Bridge has been closed for about two years as they fix (or attempt) cracks in its concrete arch roadway. It is suppose to open again in the Fall, if it does not fall down! o_O:eek:

PXL_20220607_150250238.jpg

Last edited:
@RandallS

Yes, this American (why are US citizens Americans????) is a MEC member and was very disappointed when they sold out. Been to the Vancouver store a number of times and the Victoria store once.

My first bedroom in a rental house had a view outside the bedroom window of Mt Rainier (bisected by a telephone pole!!!) and I would get up, look out and "all was good with the world" when the mountain was visible.
I'll see your mountain view with a telephone pole, and raise you one! :)

From Puebla Mexico (in summer 2017).
LINK to Volcano info

Unfortunately no e-biking involved...would have been a great place to tour.

IMG_20170707_082047.jpg

Views, when available, of Mt Rainier are very hard to resist. It is a glorious peak. And, yes, I have climbed it ONCE. It was definitely work and a challenge. Ropes and ice axes and crampons and crevasses and steep slopes as well as effects of ELEVATION. You are more or less at the summit but have to cross the crater and then up a slope no steeper than a wheelchair ramp. Stroll across the level crater and BAM, that wheelchair ramp feels like a full on mountain.

That cleft in topography is just so perfectly placed. But you have to know where to look and some days it is just not there. Here's the more natural view

By the way, if you really zoom in on the already zoomed image, you can see the harbor cranes on Harbor Island and the West Seattle Bridge. The West Seattle Bridge has been closed for about two years as they fix (or attempt) cracks in its concrete arch roadway. It is suppose to open again in the Fall, if it does not fall down! o_O:eek:

View attachment 130561
My cousins live in W Seattle - it's been a horrible 2 years for them! They're not holding their breath about September...

Back