Our Rides in Words, Photos & Videos

Hope the injury is minor.

Had to look up Bovril. I might like it. I like salty. On long backpacking trips I would take a variety of miso soups. Breakfast and dinner.
Update:

We were at A&E for about three hours in the end. Mrs DG had hurt her wrist at work a couple of months ago and somehow yesterday, managed to jar it, making it very painful and swollen.

After a check over, no serious damage was found and they put it down as soft tissue damage and gave her a support brace to wear. And the normal care advice of don’t use it for two weeks to let it settle down.

That’s the nice thing about the Gates Carbon Rubber drive belt on our Riese and Muller bikes. No chain jump, no dirt, no grease. Just always clean and well recommended.
An unfortunate event [18 months ago—early 2020]…
[Reposted from the 2020 Our Rides thread.]

Riese & Müller describe the Gates Carbon Drive in one word, indestructible. On yesterday's ride [2020–01–31] that proved to be not quite the case.​
I set off on an old favourite from Wacol in Brisbane's west to the sea and then, after refreshment at Pam's Café at Nudgee Beach, back to Wacol via a slightly shorter route. It would be around 110 km on bike paths or quiet roads all the way.​
As I passed through the city centre on the return trip, I took a break in the leafy shade of Roma Street Parkland for a final raid on the contents of my pannier. A local company's employees were enjoying an afternoon off work playing cricket – the final Friday afternoon of each month is always given over to team-building exercises, I was assured. Why not?​
Twenty minutes later I was pedalling along the riverside bikeway just where the photo of the paddlewheeler was taken; a right turn took me through a cyclists-only tunnel beneath a busy road and past the unloved CityCyles photographed on Monday (the public holiday) and then on to a minor road where I was stopped, as usual, by a red traffic light. I swear it sees me coming!​
Green. I pulled away gently in Tour mode. Halfway across the intersection the pedals spun uselessly out of control. I coasted over to the left. The Gates Carbon Drive belt was off both the front and rear sprockets and, in each of two places, a dozen or more of its 'teeth' were missing.​
From apparently faultless to utterly useless in one revolution; and so ended the first month of 2020.​
Click here for thread titled Gates Carbon Drive : User Experiences.​
—————

My ebikes rated on a five-star system:
  • 2021 R&M Homage (derailleur)—13,000 km
    3 stars (acceptable)
  • 2019 R&M Homage (Rohloff E-14)—30,000 km
    2 stars (seriously flawed design)
  • 2018 Trek Powerfly (derailleur)—12,000 km
    4 stars (well above average)
  • 2017 Kalkhoff Integrale (Di2 electronic IGH)—4,000 km
    1 star (junk)

Last edited by a moderator:
The chain dropped only once on my Vado SL. Reason? The derailleur clutch disengaged.
The chain has never dropped on my big Vado.

I'm somewhat paranoiac regarding the proper chain length and using the derailleur clutch as prescribed. Note: There is even no chainring guard on my big Vado!

I'm somewhat paranoiac regarding the proper chain length and using the derailleur clutch as prescribed. Note: There is even no chainring guard on my big Vado!
  • Paranoia : No!
  • Fastidious attention to important details : Yes! (Essential quality of a reputable process engineer?)
My Homage Touring has been treated to a new cassette and chain. Running beautifully!

It has also had its second Suntour rear shock replaced, hopefully with something that will work (Rockshox Deluxe Ultimate RCT C1). Not cheap: around US$400 (part only; dealer's goodwill covered the labour) to replace a faulty part supplied by Riese & Müller. You don't always get what you paid for.

And a new Johnny Watts on the rear, unfortunately in the narrower 60 mm version. (Note how 'Johnny Watts' has already been painted out: that's being paranoiac, Stefan!)

Note:
  • Guard on chainwheel: prevents chain from dropping between chainwheel and crank.
  • There is also a clutch lever on the derailleur to keep the chain taut (when riding) or slack (for wheel removal); sorry, the clutch is on the forward side of the derailleur arm and is obscured in the photo.

Riese & Müller Homage Touring (2021)

Last edited by a moderator:
We took a short family camping trip this weekend up to Baker Lake for some kayaking, north of Seattle at the base of Mt. Baker. First day was kayaking out on the lake - it's a beautiful emerald color and the water is quite warm in the coves.
IMG_20220725_175428.jpgIMG_20220725_175556.jpgPXL_20220724_004613372.jpgPXL_20220724_033356007.jpg
The next morning Mrs 1BH (to borrow @DiggyGun 's parlance) offered to pack up camp while I escaped for a two hour ride. Rode down around the bottom of lake, over the dam, and then up a forest service road on the ridges east of the lake. The climb up to the viewpoint averaged a little under 7% grade for close to 8 miles on gravel.
Screenshot_20220726-221749.png
Screenshot_20220726-221813.png
strava6737176100912830479.jpg
The view from 2900 ft above the lake was great and I could ever see where our camp was. The ride down was somewhat bone shaking, but fun not having to pedal for miles on end.
PXL_20220724_184422373.jpg

PXL_20220724_183713788.jpg

Attachments

• PXL_20220724_184352678~2.jpg
    PXL_20220724_184352678~2.jpg
    541.7 KB · Views: 115
  • PXL_20220724_172818083.jpg
    PXL_20220724_172818083.jpg
    632.8 KB · Views: 138
The Gazelle is fixed. Long live the Gazelle!

I drove over to the area that Mr. Coffee lives in, I think and just like every other time, had good and quick service at the bike shop that sells Treks. It takes me longer to drive than it does for them to fix.

I didn't have much time to spend more money in the book store. Yup, that little touristy place has a great book store too.

It's going to be 100 zillion degrees out--already the AC has kicked on so I don't know whether I'll give the Gazelle a workout today.

Walking the dogs…
Walking the Dogs at Low Tide : Brighton Beach, Moreton Bay

Brighton Beach, Moreton Bay
12:50 pm; 88 km
Who needs to go to Africa to see a herd of giraffes?

These huge cranes at the Port of Brisbane's container wharves were about fifteen kilometres away from where I was riding along the northern section of the Moreton Bay Cycleway.

It was only when I was back home and looked at the photo on my computer that I realised that there were hundreds (thousands?) of light-blue soldier crabs going about their low tide business—sifting the sand for detritus. Next time, time and tide permitting, I'll venture out for a closer look. Of course, I know what will happen: the little crabs will disappear into the sand as I approach and pop up behind me as soon as I've passed!

5:40 am, Thursday: I'm about to set off on the same ride this morning!

The Gazelle is fixed. Long live the Gazelle!

I drove over to the area that Mr. Coffee lives in, I think and just like every other time, had good and quick service at the bike shop that sells Treks. It takes me longer to drive than it does for them to fix.

I didn't have much time to spend more money in the book store. Yup, that little touristy place has a great book store too.

It's going to be 100 zillion degrees out--already the AC has kicked on so I don't know whether I'll give the Gazelle a workout today.
Yes, it is 94F (34.4C) in my back yard and I'm in the cool half of the state. Stay cool.

This is too much.
46 C! Ugh!
------------
Meanwhile, we are experiencing (a temporary) temperature drop in Poland. Nights are pretty cold (like 12 C). A morning ride at 13 C is pleasant (the same in the cold season is not nice!) Day temperatures do not exceed 22 C, which is extremely nice for cycling. Presently, I am in the phase of medical tests in a clinic that is 10 km away, giving me a good reason for 20 km rides (last three days). I also rode to Warsaw twice. Let me say cycling in Warsaw is not safe despite of abundance of bike paths!
  1. A guy riding a full power electric scooter (in the sense of a lightweight motorcycle). The guy (no registration, so no insurance) was zooming on a bike path at high speed...
  2. A food courier on a very big and heavy Chinese e-bike riding, like, 35 km/h on a crowded bike path...
  3. An owner of a slim private upright scooter speeding at least 30 km/h on the same crowded bike path...
II shudder to think what would happen when serious accidents start. Honestly saying, I feel much safer in Warsaw when I ride my big Vado with traffic (which is technically mandatory for my "moped")!

And now this! (Yes, David, I know you shall never start a sentence with "And") :D On my return to the neighbourhood I rode with (minimal) traffic on my Vado SL at 25 km/h max. Then, a driver cut me off on his attempt to turn right. As if he couldn't do the turn behind me! I pressed the brake levers to avoid a crash. I hope the driver could hear a bad word I loudly uttered!

The last anecdote. I should never try to do any manoeuvres with my e-bikes while standing on the ground (and straddling the top tube of the bike). The platform pedals with traction pins offer great benefits to the rider but in rare situations can hurt your legs badly. OK, nothing serious but I had to visit a pharmacy on my way...

1658978166537.png

Such things never happen when you are pedalling...

Last edited:
-36 C? No, thank you!
It has been known to get that cold here but we also have the benefit of having the highest number of sunny days in the country with Calgary taking top spot. Jan and Feb are traditionally the coldest months of the year but please don’t infer that it’s -36C here during the entire winter season. :rolleyes: We also have the bonus of Chinook winds (snow eater) that blow in from the Pacific and bring warmth to many parts of the province mainly occurring in the central to southern districts.

Many do embrace the winters here just as much as the summer months but I guess you wouldn’t understand that unless you’ve lived here long enough to experience it. ;)

Many do embrace the winters here just as much as the summer months but I guess you wouldn’t understand that unless you’ve lived here long enough to experience it. ;)
My left leg would need to be amputated if I lived there :D I barely survive Polish winters! I like when it is very warm :)

P.S. What I do hate about winters is I need to spend a lot of time to put warm clothes on. Then, the goggles, balaclava and all...

An unfortunate event [18 months ago—early 2020]…
[Reposted from the 2020 Our Rides thread.]

Riese & Müller describe the Gates Carbon Drive in one word, indestructible. On yesterday's ride [2020–01–31] that proved to be not quite the case.​
I set off on an old favourite from Wacol in Brisbane's west to the sea and then, after refreshment at Pam's Café at Nudgee Beach, back to Wacol via a slightly shorter route. It would be around 110 km on bike paths or quiet roads all the way.​
As I passed through the city centre on the return trip, I took a break in the leafy shade of Roma Street Parkland for a final raid on the contents of my pannier. A local company's employees were enjoying an afternoon off work playing cricket – the final Friday afternoon of each month is always given over to team-building exercises, I was assured. Why not?​
Twenty minutes later I was pedalling along the riverside bikeway just where the photo of the paddlewheeler was taken; a right turn took me through a cyclists-only tunnel beneath a busy road and past the unloved CityCyles photographed on Monday (the public holiday) and then on to a minor road where I was stopped, as usual, by a red traffic light. I swear it sees me coming!​
Green. I pulled away gently in Tour mode. Halfway across the intersection the pedals spun uselessly out of control. I coasted over to the left. The Gates Carbon Drive belt was off both the front and rear sprockets and, in each of two places, a dozen or more of its 'teeth' were missing.​
From apparently faultless to utterly useless in one revolution; and so ended the first month of 2020.​
Click here for thread titled Gates Carbon Drive : User Experiences.​
—————

My ebikes rated on a five-star system:
  • 2021 R&M Homage (derailleur)—13,000 km
    3 stars (acceptable)
  • 2019 R&M Homage (Rohloff E-14)—30,000 km
    2 stars (seriously flawed design)
  • 2018 Trek Powerfly (derailleur)—12,000 km
    4 stars (well above average)
  • 2017 Kalkhoff Integrale (Di2 electronic IGH)—4,000 km
    1 star (junk)
Well that sounds exactly like carbon overall, great until it suddenly isnt.
Ive watched endless videos of it failing in frames and wheels.
Ive always wondered if a small stone got in, does it have any stretch to allow it to pass around the sprocket, it would seem to me that would result in micro damage that would send it in the way to failure.

Back