Our Rides in Words, Photos & Videos

ains.jpg

Theyve painted the old beachside disused hotel overnight it seems, I dropped my phone in water some time ago and this is what you get.
I bought a new one yesterday on the basis of this blurred mess.
The painting is actually photo realistic from 20ft away, I stopped for a chat and discovered his wife paints the general backwash and he finishes it off with detail, very nice chap , earphones in and singing along to dire straits as I approached.

Its all part of the Green Sefton initiative, the building in the background on the left is PONTINS, which is a rather down market holiday resort thats barely changed from the 50s, but I'm feeling a bit of a general upgrade is on the cards as more people staycation after the pandemic and brexit.
The resort has a terrible reputation for dirty sheets, paper thin walls and drunken behaviour, but it also has wonderful amenities for the kids, go kart track, swimming pool with great slides.
more importantly I think, is its sat in the middle of the most glorious pine forest and large sand dunes.
A lot of posh people around the area turn their noses up at it and the typical clientele, but its very cheap and I love to go down and see the large inner city families turn up and the kids faces as they see the huge beach and this amazing mural will be the icing on the cake.

Only a short ride today, again around the block but more towards the east this time, since the rest of the day's hours were booked with other than bike riding. 12.2 miles - 2 miles of pavement while the rest were very quiet gravel roads.

At one point I stopped at the entryway to an 250+ year old estate, Welbourne, featuring a beautiful manor house and an extensive front yard that was once an encampment for a tired but determined army of Confederate soldiers 150 years ago. Photo of then owner Col. Richard Delaney (Confederate States of America) circa 1890 with his 4-in-hand in front of the manor house. He had lost the use of his right arm in the later part of the Civil War, but that didn't slow him down or impede his ability to drive. (He died in 1906 at Welbourne)
20210911_204604_copy_915x562.jpg

Photo below of yours truly (taken Summer 2000) with my pair in front of the manor house a century later. Notice the elk antlers are still in residence over the front door.

20210911_203103_copy_1000x750.jpg

This sign, along with two others, stands on a "pull off" alongside the shoulder of the main N-S highway intersecting the western end of our county. This "pull off" allows visitors to the area to stop and read about the history of notable places hereabouts.
Screenshot_20210911_201447_copy_762x730.jpg
Instead of war weary soldiers taking up the front lawns, or, more recently reenactors playing at being Civil War soldiers, there was instead a battalion of white chairs, arrayed in rows of perfect formation, with a flotilla of colorful balloons above, each balloon tied to the back of each chair. A few people in summer evening dress were hanging around the manor house's sweeping porch, talking and apparently setting up tables and tents.

A nice lady with a very expensive digital camera, and a nice man in a dotted shirt and creased pants, stood at the driveway entrance, apparently for the express purpose of directing cars full of well dressed people into the driveway and to a roped off section of the expansive front lawn designated for parking. I was curious if it was a wedding or some such celebration. No, it was a jazz concert, set to begin in 2 1/2 hours. The gentleman, who introduced himself as being from New Jersey, was a trumpet player. A jazz trumpet. The lady was a pro photographer who surprisingly recognized my bike as an electric bike. She had just won an ebike in a raffle recently and had yet "to open the box" to put her new ebike together. The bike had an odd name that I did not recognize, something like EZbike? She was curious about mine and so we stood there for a while and talked about ebikes and photography and music and the history of the estate that was hosting the jazz concert. It was a nice little pause in my ride to meet two very nice people who were just in love with the local countryside. It wasn't until a few cars came slowly crunching up the gravel road with full intention upon turning into the driveway that I finally said goodbye and that I hoped that they enjoyed the evening. Because it was a private, Invitation only concert, there was no way that I'd be able to come back and sit in one of the chairs to tap my toes and listen to jazz. I could have come back to sit on the stone walls bordering the gravel road and listen from a distance, but that's not really my style.

I would have taken a photograph but all of the action was so far away that the photograph would have been basically just lawn with dots of color in the distance.

So I said my goodbyes, rode a little further on up the road, stopped for this photograph at the entrance to an estate that was only one property removed from the estate hosting the party, and continued on my merry way the final miles back home.
20210911_153817_copy_1000x750.jpg

Last edited:
To See My Daughter Magda (And Other Adventures)

I had an appointment to see my daughter Magda at her Social Care Home at 14:00. Three minutes before 11:00 I left on my Vado SL, set to 60/100% assistance and with the Range Extender battery. Having plenty of time, I made a little detour to get more workout...

1631423011229.png

There are numerous long bike paths (or MUPs) in my neighbourhood. The rules of placing road-signs are silly a little bit. How many "MUP" road-signs can you spot here? :D

Cycling Stories

I was not in hurry at all. Leisurely peddling pedalling, I was overtaken by a roadie. As you know, I cannot stand such an insult! :D Having had big battery resources, and the bike derestricted by a button push, I pushed on pedals hard to chase the man. To discover he was riding very slowly as for a roadie! (28 km/h? A joke?!) In a very short time, I got bored with following him. I pushed the "lightning" button on my remote... "HI!" I shouted merrily at the guy, and then my Vado SL accelerated as it were a rocket! I reached 41 km/h (more than 25 mph) instantly! A look in the mirror: The guy tried to fight. Wrong person. He was slowly disappearing in my rear-view mirror. And I suddenly recollected that I was missing an important capability: endurance :D I could not keep the cadence of 120 bpm forever! Yet, slowing down now would be a shame, so I decided to sprint as far as Pilaszków.

With the guy long gone from my sight, I approached a bus stop in Pilaszków; another guy with a Cube hardtail bike was repairing something there. A good excuse to stop! "Need help?" -- "No, thank you. Something's squealing at my seatpost. Got some grease?" After many minutes, the roadie approached us. "Good race!" I smiled at the roadie -- "What a bike you've got!" he exclaimed in awe ;)

I and the newly met MTB-er Robert talked for several minutes, then we rode together. To my biggest surprise, I was unable to catch up with Robert! What gets?! Sport mode -- too slow! -- Turbo mode -- my SL was behaving like a cow. WHAT GETS? Oh. The speed limiter on :D Now, I normally don't say very much on the 25 km/h e-bike speed limit in the EU but come on! Not being able to ride just at 28 km/h as any moderately fit traditional cyclist?!

1631423178594.png

At some point (familiar to me), Robert looked at his GPS navigation in a sports-watch, slowed down, and announced: "I should have turned right at the junction" -- "Go on there!" -- I replied -- "Your bike is adequate for that road, mine's not! Bye!" and we parted. The point is, his GPS navigation directed him into some "wilderness", and I knew it better. But Robert might have had his own training plan...

I knew it better. Fast ride on asphalt. I reached an intersection I knew Robert would eventually reach, and waited for him with my smartphone camera there :D He was actually very irritated with the GPS navigation... "Sorry mate, I thought you chose that route intentionally" -- I smiled at him. And he continued riding for next 70 km to join his family somewhere in the Land of Łódź.

1631425247270.png

I forgave "Klimatyczna Cafe" their taking double holidays last Summer. The attitude of the female owner (she did recognize me!) and their plum ice-cream won my heart! But now I was in hurry. Peddl... Pedalling furiously, I was at the Social Care Home ten minutes in advance!

1631425431894.png

Magda got her "Cat Ears" Bluetooth headphones, and was very happy!

1631425516078.png

Magda with her best friend Honorata. Exploring the secrets of modern technology ;)

We had a long walk with Magda in beautiful gardens of the Home, and I used my MTB mini-pump to reinflate her wheelchair's tyres. (No one thinks of reinflating wheelchair wheels there!)

1631425726896.png

The area sees a lot of road improvement works. I was positively shocked how fast the most terrible road in Boża Wola was brought to perfect shape. (Roadworks? "No Entry" signs do not pertain to me!) :)

I fancied some sushi at a restaurant in Brwinów. Approaching the town, I caught up with yet another roadie. That time, I wanted some fun to both of us ;)
-- Let's race! -- I merrily shouted at the roadie -- he laughed, smiled at me, and we were racing! I was winning first, and encouraging the guy to draft me. When I rode onto an overpass, I gave way, and shouted at the man -- "Show me roadies are faster downhill than the electricians are!" -- he laughed again and we raced until we reached the Brwinów centre. On parting our ways, I thanked him for the workout! :)

The sushi restaurant... Well, Americans are used to getting big portions; it is not the same for Europe. Therefore, I was shocked to see the pile of food I got at the restaurant! (Actually, half of the portion was packed for me as leftovers). Then I checked Strava. My friend @Jerzy Bańkowski made 75.26 km on that day, while I would only make 70. No way! :)

1631426361382.png

At some place, I could see a powered hang glider (is it the right word?) starting. (Of course, I had my camera at ready too late). I continued my ride as far as I trumped the Jerzy's distance :)

1631426518696.png

60/100 assistance of Vado SL + Range Extender (in my case) would be some 85 km. I need to take down the figure for future rides!

Last edited:
1631455506608.png

After a whole week stuck behind 4 walls I was extremely happy to get back out on my bike, thankfully no sign of any rain and light winds so I picked the perfect day! My new power switch worked flawlessly, I had to push on a bit as I promised my dad I would be back by 1pm so the switch got a lot of use! ;) What a fantastic ride it was, I was smiling from ear to ear for the whole 70 miles!😁 It was good to see so many cyclists out today, more than I have seen for a very long time! I had a roadie fly past me but unlike Stefan @Stefan Mikes (I think its safe to say you are very competitive🤣) I wasn't going to attempt to chase a 30 something super fit roadie on the flat, no flick of a switch for me to get more power!🤣 I only have 63 year old leg power to rely on!;)

Getting close to my destination, the 3 bridges over the River Forth were looking inviting as always!
1631456308581.jpeg

I was just about to take this photo when a runner photobombed me! 🤣 It was all good natured fun and we shared a good laugh as he passed me!
1631457227340.jpeg

Thankfully the western side (if its closed there is an underpass which loops to the eastern side) of the Forth Road Bridge was open today so I was able to get some nice photos of the new bridge!
1631456606165.jpeg

1631456633720.jpeg

1631456681844.jpeg

It was a bit overcast but at least I got a nice view of a cruise ship moored at the Rosyth Docks! This is one of those times you wish you had a good powerful camera...
1631458402602.jpeg

It was so good to get out again, cycling really clears the mind and makes you forget about the hard times! I'm hoping to get out again on Wednesday and maybe Thursday for a couple of shorter rides!🤞

Attachments

• elevation_profile332.jpg
    elevation_profile332.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 125
  • trip-75105387-map-full245.png
    trip-75105387-map-full245.png
    484.7 KB · Views: 143
  • 20210912_085943.jpg
    20210912_085943.jpg
    687.2 KB · Views: 150
  • 20210912_091838.jpg
    20210912_091838.jpg
    360.2 KB · Views: 132
  • 20210912_091852.jpg
    20210912_091852.jpg
    669.7 KB · Views: 125
  • 20210912_095224.jpg
    20210912_095224.jpg
    317 KB · Views: 127
  • 20210912_095235.jpg
    20210912_095235.jpg
    666.8 KB · Views: 127
  • 20210912_095528.jpg
    20210912_095528.jpg
    274.1 KB · Views: 128
  • 20210912_095730.jpg
    20210912_095730.jpg
    310.4 KB · Views: 131
  • 20210912_095756.jpg
    20210912_095756.jpg
    446.1 KB · Views: 131
  • 20210912_100133.jpg
    20210912_100133.jpg
    279.3 KB · Views: 129
  • 20210912_100158.jpg
    20210912_100158.jpg
    480.2 KB · Views: 133
  • 20210912_101933.jpg
    20210912_101933.jpg
    589 KB · Views: 121
  • 20210912_111903.jpg
    20210912_111903.jpg
    194 KB · Views: 139
  • 20210912_111935.jpg
    20210912_111935.jpg
    238.1 KB · Views: 120
  • 20210912_111954.jpg
    20210912_111954.jpg
    467.6 KB · Views: 114
  • 20210912_111957.jpg
    20210912_111957.jpg
    446.4 KB · Views: 121
  • 20210912_123420.jpg
    20210912_123420.jpg
    593 KB · Views: 122
  • 20210912_123428.jpg
    20210912_123428.jpg
    296.5 KB · Views: 120
@RabH - Great photos of the Three Bridges! The spans on the new crossing look massive even from a distance. It’s also nice to see that the designated lanes provided for both cyclists and walkers are generous. It certainly would make for an enjoyable commute if that was the intent behind them. 👍

@RabH - Great photos of the Three Bridges! The spans on the new crossing look massive even from a distance. It’s also nice to see that the designated lanes provided for both cyclists and walkers are generous. It certainly would make for an enjoyable commute if that was the intent behind them. 👍
In nice weather it really would be a lovely commute but as it is very exposed it is extremely scary in crosswinds! The lanes are indeed very generous and a real pleasure to ride across, it certainly wouldn't be any fun riding across on the main carriageway! The bridge is actually only open to buses and taxis as well as motorcycles these days, due to horrendous wear and tear over the years!

I once had the pleasure (bad choice of word 🤣) of driving this old army truck over the old bridge, everytime I hit one of the bridge joints my head almost hit the roof!🤣 It wasn't an enjoyable experience!;) I wasn't in the army in case anybody is wondering, the company I worked for had to send a repair estimate to the army for a repaint, they rejected it and collected the truck from our premises! I was so glad I didn't have to drive it back over the bridge!🤣

1631464238176.jpeg

Snake Bitten, (or A Lunch In Klimatyczna Cafe)

At half past ten on Sunday, I was ready for a 115+ km ride. It is not important where to; after 200 m ridden from Młociny Park in Warsaw, I discovered I lost my front brake. Don't ask why: I could only repair it upon return to my flat. And I had a minor car incident. A beautiful day seemed to be wasted.

When I was working on my Vado's front brake by my station wagon, it rained. OK, let it rain. I was hidden below the car's hatch; it stopped raining very soon, and I could go for a ride, to test the brake among others. And I fancied bilberry pierogi as recommended by the owner of Klimatyczna Cafe the day before.

1631480728760.png

We don't get big portions in Europe ;) At least pierogi were really good!

On my return, I thought I could attempt beating an e-bike KOM record at 5 km road segment between Pilaszków and Umiastów. It's silly. Any person with a powerful (and illegal) Chinese monster or a Direct Drive motor DIY e-bike would beat me. We'll see. I'm just interested if any e-biker recorded their ride on that segment. And Strava tells me there are surprisingly many e-bikers in my area!

1631481110933.png

I could never understand why the average speed on a short road segment was that slower* than the cruising speed indicated by the speedometer for the whole attempt duration...

On my return, I had to suddenly brake on wet pavement. The brakes turned out to be sound, only the rear wheel skidded a little (but that happens). And I was riding into a raining zone. When I reached my car, the first droplets of rain fell on my back. It was about one of the fastest "rolling ups" of my e-bike ever! (Removing smartphone, water bottle, and panniers from the bike. Removing helmet from my head. Removing the battery. Packing the bike into my car). When I just sat behind the steering wheel, it poured.

In the parking lot of my block of flats, it stopped raining. I spotted a young neighbour riding his bike. "You're dry?" -- I asked -- "NOT" -- he replied. I was lucky, eventually! (On the same day, Jerzy came back from his ride totally soaked, including his shoes).
------------
*) I have just found the error I made! The previous segment included my earlier approach to the segment. After I moved the segment's start forward a little, these values came up:
1631485609517.png

Last edited:
Snake Bitten, (or A Lunch In Klimatyczna Cafe)

At half past ten on Sunday, I was ready for a 115+ km ride. It is not important where to; after 200 m ridden from Młociny Park in Warsaw, I discovered I lost my front brake. Don't ask why: I could only repair it upon return to my flat. And I had a minor car incident. A beautiful day seemed to be wasted.

When I was working on my Vado's front brake by my station wagon, it rained. OK, let it rain. I was hidden below the car's hatch; it stopped raining very soon, and I could go for a ride, to test the brake among others. And I fancied bilberry pierogi as recommended by the owner of Klimatyczna Cafe the day before.

View attachment 99803
We don't get big portions in Europe ;) At least pierogi were really good!

On my return, I thought I could attempt beating an e-bike KOM record at 5 km road segment between Pilaszków and Umiastów. It's silly. Any person with a powerful (and illegal) Chinese monster or a Direct Drive motor DIY e-bike would beat me. We'll see. I'm just interested if any e-biker recorded their ride on that segment. And Strava tells me there are surprisingly many e-bikers in my area!

View attachment 99804
I could never understand why the average speed on a short road segment was that slower than the cruising speed indicated by the speedometer for the whole attempt duration...

On my return, I had to suddenly brake on wet pavement. The brakes turned out to be sound, only the rear wheel skidded a little (but that happens). And I was riding into a raining zone. When I reached my car, the first droplets of rain fell on my back. It was about one of the fastest "rolling ups" of my e-bike ever! (Removing smartphone, water bottle, and panniers from the bike. Removing helmet from my head. Removing the battery. Packing the bike into my car). When I just sat behind the steering wheel, it poured.

In the parking lot of my block of flats, it stopped raining. I spotted a young neighbour riding his bike. "You're dry?" -- I asked -- "NOT" -- he replied. I was lucky, eventually! (On the same day, Jerzy came back from his ride totally soaked, including his shoes).
I thought you got a Snake Bite Flat.

Oh, those pierogi look excellent. My grandmother use to make great kreplach (spell correct wanted "fireplace!!!!") with a variety of fillings.

Similar to Polish "uszka" (little ears). Only we typically eat them with red borscht.
Yes, grandma made that, too. Both just beets and then a meat version. My mom made sweet and sour cabbage soup. I still make that occasionally - using boiled tongue broth as its base. When I was in the Dolomites last Winter (2020), I had this great Sauerkraut Soup - wonderful. I tried making that - not as good.

I'm back! Two ride reports here, both very atypical both for EBR / this thread and for me. No stats, no maps, and each of these posts describes multiple short rides taken in the same area. The reason for this is that my fitness needs morphed dramatically for the past eight weeks because I was rehearsing (by myself, to recorded tracks) for a series of performances with several rock bands in Connecticut. I played four sets with three different bands in 28 hours-- and, given the connective tissue disorder, and the demanding nature of the material (some very fast punk rock, but also alternative, power pop, and hard rock with far more lead guitar than I'm used to playing) I had to almost completely eliminate all (other) forms of exercise to avoid muscle and joint pain. I stopped riding almost completely three weeks before the show, and even stopped swimming the week before. And sure enough, being away from my beloved Moto and Trek for so long really reduced pain in my wrists and thumbs. I was able to play some songs I haven't played live in 40 years, and also to pull off a few solos that I've never pulled off before. So it was a serious sacrifice, but well worth it.

FIRST RIDE: After the shows, I was back at my old apartment with my old roommate in New York City, and very eager to get on my old Raleigh Competition for some acoustic adventures! At the same time, however, I knew I had to be careful, because I hadn't ridden in nearly two months, the bike has a much more uncomfortable riding position, zero suspension, and I was worried about screwing up my back, shoulders, and wrists. Indeed, I wound up in Urgent Care when I returned to Los Angeles and my back still hasn't completely recovered... but not before getting in series of 25-50 minute rides in Central Park, mostly in the North Woods, a little known area in the north west corner of the park that I've grown to love since the late '80s. Here are just a few shots from some of my favorite remote areas... the waterfall and archway are two of my favorites, also beautiful in the winter in deep snow and ice.

DSCF1332 Small.jpeg
DSCF1325 Small.jpeg
DSCF1338 Small.jpeg

These rides were not without incident. Due to the extreme heat, my first ride out started at dusk and went into full dark-- of course, I'd brought powerful lights front and back, and I know the park like the back of my hand, so I wasn't worried.

Uh, wrong. Some well-meaning but moronic Park personnel had left up massive flood lights from the concert a few days previously. The glare was so bad that I could not see landmark buildings, and got totally lost-- very embarrassing for a native New Yorker, but they were really awful-- I wound up off road and onto dirt paths at one point because I couldn't even see the pavement, they were that blinding.

Then, I heard a nasty scraping sound from my crank with every revolution... it nagged at my memory... oh, yeah, that's right: There are three kind of hollow screws that connects the inner and outer crank, and there's one of them that always works loose! (Locking nut missing?) Bike has had that problem for about 40 years, but I totally forgot about it. I even brought tools, but none were the right diameter to fit inside the screw and screw it back into place. I went into the woods a bit, took the light off the bike, and finally found a twig the perfect diameter to stick inside the hollow screw and twist it back in, later covered it with duct tape... which was the solution before the last refurb, when my NY LBS must have removed it! The other rides were great, but the night ride a little nasty-- must have been 90 degrees at 8:00 at night, and very high humidity.

Oh, and by the way, I have an update on the delivery e-bike vs. other bike conflict in NYC for some other thread. A long story, but I can tell you this: The delivery e-bikes are a unique hazard, and they are totally lawless, but not the greatest hazard: There are GAS POWERED MOTOR SCOOTERS that are hogging the Central Park West bike lanes at night! Man, that ticked me off!

Wow @Stefan Mikes - almost looks like pre-COVID photos there; SO NICE TO SEE!

Sorry for no photos today. Canadian geese and Mallard ducks in muc ponds was not photogenic....

But I have exciting news to report. My 1999 EVG did more consecutive miles than she ever has done before. I just did 26miles (42km) and returned with 59% battery (62% post rest). I am really excited as I still have a battery pack coming; so I may just hit my first Century Ride ever!!!
-BB
View attachment 87121
That is amazing!

My so called "Exclusive Trails" are sometimes littered with debris.
I ride sometimes for the purpose marking the location of abandoned shopping carts and notify our local district representative to have it removed.
@Catalyzt your pic is worthy for postcard.
The gas power bike does it look a phatmoto?
@kahn there are various names for perogi in Hawaii.
Thanks, glad you liked the photo! I did bring my little mirrorless camera for these rides-- the case is wearable on a thick belt-- though the Fuji X-A5's end user interface is so aggravating I refer to it as "the cruel little Fuji." It's too big and heavy for the sick rides I was doing earlier in the summer with thousands of feet of vertical, where the only weight I carry is tools and water, but totally fine for shorter rides like these. I'm finally getting a little better with it, shooting in semi-auto and using exposure comp., at least! And none of these photos were processed at all-- I often psychedelicize shots from my little point and shoot to coax detail out of the background.

As for the scooters? No-- I've seen bikes like the one in your shot, but these were just like Vespas! I noticed on Block Island that these "scooters" are now called "mopeds" which is comical. But I mean, how rude and cowardly can you be-- using a bike lane for a scooter?! "I'm too scared to ride in traffic, but totally fine with you having to avoid me going three times your speed and choking on my exhaust." And none of them had license plates.

Great your tagging those shopping carts for removal! And I know all about debris on the trail of my favorites here in LA, and have the flat tires to prove it!

today's ride was a tough one. humbling after the last ride in which i did several areas i'd only done with motor, but with the motor turned off. welllllll today, the motor was a must. i did use less power on the route than i have before, but i was feeling it. hard. nonetheless, it was a gorgeous day with the usual lovely scenery, and the creo did her work marvelously as always!

56.82 miles per mission control with 4:06 moving time, for a relatively slow pace of 13.86mph.... but, 4,452 feet of climbing, mostly bunched up in the middle of the ride. i used 82 wH of the battery, (around 1/4), down from 105 the last time i did this ride. in retrospect, i probably should have increased my settings on eco mode by 5%.

20210912-bofaxRidgecrest.jpg

it's a quiet, sunny morning in the neighborhood as the roll out the door, but for some reason i wore long sleeves.

5520-pacHeights.jpg5532-pacHeights.jpg

we enter the presidio, and start to catch up to lots of other cyclists, joggers, and the fog!

5543-presidio.jpg5548-bridge.jpg

of course, across the bridge in sausalito it's sunny. a long flat stretch on a mixed use path (one of the few i ride), stayed towards the front of a couple packs of roadies.

5552-enterSaus.jpg5584-mup.jpg

the first little climb is a piece of cake. then back into the flatlands, but then the real climbing starts. thankfully it's often shaded.

5590-caminoAlto.jpg5629-turning.jpg

around halfway up the main event, a shade break is definitely in order.

5641-creoBreak.jpg

and then back to it.

5660-forest.jpg

the reward is popping out onto a long open stretch, which cruelly, in this direction, still has about 500 feet of climbing left in 7 big rollers, too steep and long to just cruise over. ouch. but the views are stunning, with the pacific and her late summer blanket of fog to the right.

5688-pacific.jpg5708-ridge.jpg

and just around this corner, a quick glimpse of home! at this point, i was feeling pretty spent, so i didn't stop to take any decent photos.

5721-distantView.jpg

OMG, a water fountain. lifesaver.

5729-fountain.jpg5733-creoBreak.jpg

the long, almost unbroken 2,000 foot descent brings us back to sausalito, and the entry to the bridge.

5743-saus.jpg5748-bridgeEntry.jpg

it's a stunning day, and once into the fog again a flock of pelicans were illustrating their flying skill in the intense crosswinds.

5758-headlands.jpg5765-pelicans.jpg

almost home!

5773-almostHome.jpg

went to Troutdale Oregon today. wanted to go on some paths I found on google but they turned out to be way too sandy to ride our tandem on.saw an interesting memorial. got to watch small planes fly overhead and land including a biplane.
View attachment 99824View attachment 99825View attachment 99826View attachment 99827View attachment 99829View attachment 99830View attachment 99831View attachment 99832View attachment 99833View attachment 99834View attachment 99835View attachment 99836
Never tried the Historic Columbia River Trail from the start in Troutdale. Anyone else? Still a lot under
construction last time I rode.

I'm back! Two ride reports here, both very atypical both for EBR / this thread and for me. No stats, no maps, and each of these posts describes multiple short rides taken in the same area. The reason for this is that my fitness needs morphed dramatically for the past eight weeks because I was rehearsing (by myself, to recorded tracks) for a series of performances with several rock bands in Connecticut. I played four sets with three different bands in 28 hours-- and, given the connective tissue disorder, and the demanding nature of the material (some very fast punk rock, but also alternative, power pop, and hard rock with far more lead guitar than I'm used to playing) I had to almost completely eliminate all (other) forms of exercise to avoid muscle and joint pain. I stopped riding almost completely three weeks before the show, and even stopped swimming the week before. And sure enough, being away from my beloved Moto and Trek for so long really reduced pain in my wrists and thumbs. I was able to play some songs I haven't played live in 40 years, and also to pull off a few solos that I've never pulled off before. So it was a serious sacrifice, but well worth it.

FIRST RIDE: After the shows, I was back at my old apartment with my old roommate in New York City, and very eager to get on my old Raleigh Competition for some acoustic adventures! At the same time, however, I knew I had to be careful, because I hadn't ridden in nearly two months, the bike has a much more uncomfortable riding position, zero suspension, and I was worried about screwing up my back, shoulders, and wrists. Indeed, I wound up in Urgent Care when I returned to Los Angeles and my back still hasn't completely recovered... but not before getting in series of 25-50 minute rides in Central Park, mostly in the North Woods, a little known area in the north west corner of the park that I've grown to love since the late '80s. Here are just a few shots from some of my favorite remote areas... the waterfall and archway are two of my favorites, also beautiful in the winter in deep snow and ice.

View attachment 99813View attachment 99812View attachment 99814

These rides were not without incident. Due to the extreme heat, my first ride out started at dusk and went into full dark-- of course, I'd brought powerful lights front and back, and I know the park like the back of my hand, so I wasn't worried.

Uh, wrong. Some well-meaning but moronic Park personnel had left up massive flood lights from the concert a few days previously. The glare was so bad that I could not see landmark buildings, and got totally lost-- very embarrassing for a native New Yorker, but they were really awful-- I wound up off road and onto dirt paths at one point because I couldn't even see the pavement, they were that blinding.

Then, I heard a nasty scraping sound from my crank with every revolution... it nagged at my memory... oh, yeah, that's right: There are three kind of hollow screws that connects the inner and outer crank, and there's one of them that always works loose! (Locking nut missing?) Bike has had that problem for about 40 years, but I totally forgot about it. I even brought tools, but none were the right diameter to fit inside the screw and screw it back into place. I went into the woods a bit, took the light off the bike, and finally found a twig the perfect diameter to stick inside the hollow screw and twist it back in, later covered it with duct tape... which was the solution before the last refurb, when my NY LBS must have removed it! The other rides were great, but the night ride a little nasty-- must have been 90 degrees at 8:00 at night, and very high humidity.

Oh, and by the way, I have an update on the delivery e-bike vs. other bike conflict in NYC for some other thread. A long story, but I can tell you this: The delivery e-bikes are a unique hazard, and they are totally lawless, but not the greatest hazard: There are GAS POWERED MOTOR SCOOTERS that are hogging the Central Park West bike lanes at night! Man, that ticked me off!
Thanks for sharing those photos of Central Park. That is one aspect of NYC that I miss (native Bronxite). Probably my first adult bike ride was in Central Park back in the late sixties or early seventies. Whenever I visited NYC after moving away I would always visit ALICE!

Thanks for sharing those photos of Central Park. That is one aspect of NYC that I miss (native Bronxite). Probably my first adult bike ride was in Central Park back in the late sixties or early seventies. Whenever I visited NYC after moving away I would always visit ALICE!
I apologize for my ignorance: How big the Central Park really is? How long would it take to ride a bike from East to West, for instance?

Some Fun In My Morning Time...
Here's how you pronounce Opypy : I wonder how you would transcribe that to English?

And yes, I got my KOM...
1631512011723.png
\
...yet all the competing on e-bikes is just silly. I ride a 45 km/h S-Pedelec; I'm either competing with people riding regular 25 km/h Euro e-bikes, or with ones who have derestricted their e-bikes, or with jerks on throttle operated powerful B* e-bikes. Giving it up!

Last edited:
Back