Our Rides in Words, Photos & Videos

Weve just had a mini 30 degree heatwave..which is basically an inferno to us brits...and it broke last night with torrential rain.
Everyone was relieved, but unfortunately for me the exposure to an ungodly sun seems to have cracked a bit of the flat roof and the hall is now full of buckets collecting rain.
Dont worry my bike is safe in the garage which only leaks over the washing machine.

The Art of Racing Into The Rain
It's called a "louring sky". I've always called it a "lowering sky" but the wisdom of the Internet says the 13th century term is "louring". Pronounced "lowering".
From the Oxford English Dictionary (Never leave home without it!):

Louring/Lowering : Oxford English Dictionary

The Art of Racing Into The Rain

View attachment 99524
It's called a "louring sky". I've always called it a "lowering sky" but the wisdom of the Internet says the 13th century term is "louring". Pronounced "lowering". Either way itnwas a clear warning that things were about to get wet as I started down the driveway for a very fast 8 mile ride around the block. Literally, around the block. There are no shortcuts or adjoining streets. It is 8 miles from start to finish whether you like it or not.

I was not expecting rain when I got on my bike. I stopped to check the radar app and figured if I hurried I'd be fine.

Famous last words.
View attachment 99538
1 mile down the road I stopped for this shot. The clear skies beyond the louring skies lured me into continuing the ride rather than doing the sensible thing ...which was turning around and fleeing back home. After all, the storm was at my back and I was headed away from it. For the first half of the ride, that is.

Midway, as the roads began to loop around to head back, I looked up with increasing concern that, rather than the storm moving away, it was expanding to the point where I was now headed straight at a gray curtain obscuring the entire countryside. The first drops began to fall. My lack of foresight resulting in me forgetting my jacket and being out in just a pathetic lightweight t-shirt and short shorts and flip-flops meant I had been too much of a temptation for the weather gods to resist. Rather like washing a car and hoping it doesn't rain. That gray curtain blocking out the countryside said only one thing, as did the rising wind, suddenly fierce enough to start shaking and bending the trees around me, causing a cascade of pre-autumn leaves to be ripped from branches and swirl in swift agitated circles through the air down to the road under my feet. I was doomed.

I stopped and quickly packed anything electronic into the gallon plastic bag I always keep in my panniers. I put my head down, put my sandled feet on the pedals, and raced directly into the gray curtain standing between me and home.

The light sprinkle almost immediately turned into a downpour. The rain hit my bare arms with the sting of ice pellets, soaking my shirt, my shorts, my hair, my underwear, my helmet, and the road. The gravel road turned into a muddy morass within seconds, and the raindrops on my sports glasses obscured my view to the point where I had to feel my bike's front tire to know if I was getting sucked into deep mud because I couldn't see the road. Water poured off my helmet and soaked my gloves as if I'd dunked them into a filled bucket. There was no escape from that downpour unless I took shelter under a tree and waited it out. I did try that for a few seconds, but I'm not the most patient person in the world and home was only a few miles away. What's a little more rain when one is already soaked to the skin? And cold.

A mile further, and a slight bend in my direction of travel moved the gray curtain to my right. The weather gods, having had their laugh at my expense, signaled a truce in a very dramatic way across the entire sky. I got off my bike, wringing out my soaking wet gloves after I took them off, retrieved my phone from the safety of the plastic bag, and snapped this shot.

View attachment 99544
The horses in the fields seemed quite nonchalant about their wet coats as they continued to graze under the arc a beautiful double rainbow. Somewhere beyond those trees was a pot of gold. Maybe two.
View attachment 99548

I hadn't been sure that my phone had taken these shots since I was shaking from the cold and a light "after the storm" rain was still falling which was getting touch screen wetter by the second the longer I kept my phone in my hand. So I snapped these shots, shoved my phone back into the safe depths of the panniers, wrung out my gloves once again, and took off the final 2 miles towards home. The weather gods still had one last laugh as they turned the temps down into jacket wearing territory. It was the toughest 2 miles I'd ever ridden. Cold, drenched, and shivering while dodging water filled potholes, rivers of water cascading down and across the gravel roads with trees shaking their rain soaked leaves overhead as I hurried along counting the seconds in my race homeward.

The final half mile from home I suddenly felt warmth on my shoulder. I glanced up through the trees, peering out of my rain fogged sunglasses to see that the sun had come out, illuminating a sopping wet landscape as the sheets of rain raced away in the opposite direction.

I rolled up my driveway under the most innocent of skies draped in the most impressive baby blue.
View attachment 99555
A warm apology, albeit late in the game, but still graciously acknowledged.

It did take me another hour to warm up, tho. By then it was raining again.
I love that feeling of a brooding sky when you are caught out in it.
A little bit of you feels you are facing an ungodly armagedon completely out of your control and all daily concerns are an illusion.
I swear I saw a tornado trying to form a few years ago on a bike ride..Im not ashamed to admit I was egging it on.

@Prairie Dog Once again I didn't want your video to end, truly breathtaking scenery! That shoulder looked very rough at points but I'm sure you were more than happy to use it to avoid those crazy trucks! Were you taunting those rams at one point? It looked like you were steering towards them!😮🤣

@Readytoride Been there and done that many times but never in shorts and a t shirt! 😮 If I saw a sky like that I would be looking for shelter sharpish!🤣 Being in Scotland I always wear a jacket (or carry it in my backpack), the weather can change in a heartbeat! I did get caught out once and learned a harsh lesson! ;)

I'm really looking forward to Sunday now, I just hope the rain won't be heavy but even if it is I'm still going for a 70 miler! After a full week off the bike I will go out no matter what....

The Highwood Pass – Peter Lougheed Provincial Park

View attachment 99393
View attachment 99395
View attachment 99396
There was nothing but clear, blue skies yesterday morning which set up another epic ride in the mountains as my brother-in-law and I set out to cycle up the Highwood Pass which maintains the reputation as being the highest paved road in Canada. Neither of us was familiar with this section of the Kananaskis Trail so we didn’t know what to expect other than it was a steady uphill climb to get to the top and a relatively smooth downhill descent on the return leg back to our starting point. I felt relieved that I made the decision to leave the WTB Riddlers on the wheels from the previous outing as some portions of the side shoulders were quite brutal heading back down from the pass. The pass itself is closed to traffic from December to June 15th to protect the native wildlife.

Our starting point would be the Ribbon Creek Day Use Area. Located near the Nakiska Ski Resort (which played host to the 1988 Winter Olympic downhill), Ribbon Creek is a popular jumping off point for many avid hikers. My wife, who normally rides with us, decided instead to hike up to Ribbon Falls. She still managed to cover the entire 22km round trip even with a sore back.

View attachment 99397

Ribbon Creek. The trail to the falls is off in the distance.

View attachment 99398

View of Mount Kidd from Hwy 40

View attachment 99399

As usual, there was plenty of mountain scenery to admire along the way but not much else with the exception of the odd mountain ram or two blocking the middle of highway. The same two animals were quite content to stay put in their favorite spot upon our return back down from the pass.

View attachment 99400
View attachment 99402

Something you don’t see too often. A Dodge Ram meets its match.

View attachment 99401

My BIL stops for a moment to take in the view. There are times when the destination is the farthest thing from your mind and nothing else seems to matter but being in the present.

View attachment 99403

This turnoff is near the Fortress Junction about 20km from the start of the ride.

View attachment 99404

View attachment 99405

A winding section of the trail that was a sheer pleasure to ride.

View attachment 99406

Made it!! 👍

View attachment 99408

I took the opportunity to snap a couple of more pics on our way back.

View attachment 99411

View attachment 99412

A video tribute of our chug up to the Highwood Pass and Peter Lougheed Provincial Park

View attachment 99413View attachment 99414View attachment 99415View attachment 99416View attachment 99417View attachment 99418View attachment 99419View attachment 99420

Finally got around to the video. Wonderful. I should use my Action camera more. I know you said you use a chest harness. Curious, at times we see the handlebar and computer and at others you are shooting above it. Do you consciously make that decision or just periodically adjust. And actually, I find it visually interesting the way it is filmed. Also, it really shows the effective image stabilization as the handlebars appear to jiggle but the main scenery remains stable.

@Prairie Dog Once again I didn't want your video to end, truly breathtaking scenery! That shoulder looked very rough at points but I'm sure you were more than happy to use it to avoid those crazy trucks! Were you taunting those rams at one point? It looked like you were steering towards them!😮

I understand why this section of the K-Trail is popular with cyclists early on in the season. Cars are not allowed access through it until June 15th leaving a window of opportunity for a vehicle free ride. The only caveat would be the possibility of snow pack at higher altitudes. There are moments when I find my gaze is transfixed on the scenery and occasionally lose focus and am forced to reel myself back towards the shoulder of the road. I feel naked leaving home without my Garmin Varia.

My BIL conducted a bit of recon from his vehicle to assess the conditions of the shoulders before we left. Although we could have gotten by riding on slicks, the gravel tires were unquestionably deemed to be an asset on some of the sketchier stretches of the descents. I may just keep them on indefinitely.

When we came upon the Bighorn sheep the second time around, a car that was held up waiting was honking its horn in a failed attempt to try and get them to move. At the time, I thought that perhaps if I closed the distance on my bike that they might miraculously move off. Stupid of me to think that. Fortunately, rutting season for these animals hadn’t begun yet. :oops:

Traffic is always a major concern especially during the busy summer months. Once we get into the fall season, things improve drastically although some motorists will never give up an inch of road to you regardless of the circumstances.

I hope that the rains won’t be so much that it would deter you from riding but I also know that cycling is good for the soul irrespective of the conditions. Looking forward to more pics of those wonderful Scottish landscapes. :cool:

Finally got around to the video. Wonderful. I should use my Action camera more. I know you said you use a chest harness. Curious, at times we see the handlebar and computer and at others you are shooting above it. Do you consciously make that decision or just periodically adjust. And actually, I find it visually interesting the way it is filmed. Also, it really shows the effective image stabilization as the handlebars appear to jiggle but the main scenery remains stable.
I use the camera on virtually every ride whether it’s on the road or on the trail. The chest harness has become my go to mount for the GoPro and I rarely, if ever, do I use the adapter below the Garmin out front mount. The harness allows me to change batteries or make adjustments on the fly and a magnetic quick release makes for quick transitions if I want to shoot footage from a static position while dismounted. I’m either constantly adjusting my riding position (more upright) or changing the camera angle to accommodate different viewing scenarios. For safety reasons, I never ride with the camera in one hand while balancing with the other unless there is zero traffic around. Even then, I find the harness is adequate in most situations.

Here’s more single track footage from yesterday’s ride which exemplifies the quality of the boost stabilization on more undulating terrain.

Edited to add – At 1:29 into the video, if you look carefully a deer can be seen crossing the trail from the left. I never noticed it until I reviewed the footage.

Last edited:
I use the camera on virtually every ride whether it’s on the road or on the trail. The chest harness has become my go to mount for the GoPro and I rarely, if ever, do I use the adapter below the Garmin out front mount. The harness allows me to change batteries or make adjustments on the fly and a magnetic quick release makes for quick transitions if I want to shoot footage from a static position while dismounted. I’m either constantly adjusting my riding position (more upright) or changing the camera angle to accommodate different viewing scenarios. For safety reasons, I never ride with the camera in one hand while balancing with the other unless there is zero traffic around. Even then, I find the harness is adequate in most situations.

Here’s more single track footage from yesterday’s ride which exemplifies the quality of the boost stabilization on more undulating terrain.

Awesome.

Edited to add – At 1:29 into the video, if you look carefully a deer can be seen crossing the trail from the left. I never noticed it until I reviewed the footage.
Just one question: How do you keep your elbows intact? ;)

The one real trail mt bike experience I had, I managed to fall and pin my thigh between the handlebar and bike frame and I was lying on the bike frame. TRAPPED! Also panicked since I was to leave on a two week backpack in the Sierra in a few days and I did not need a leg injury. I did survive.

Just one question: How do you keep your elbows intact? ;)

The one real trail mt bike experience I had, I managed to fall and pin my thigh between the handlebar and bike frame and I was lying on the bike frame. TRAPPED! Also panicked since I was to leave on a two week backpack in the Sierra in a few days and I did not need a leg injury. I did survive.
Don't fall down ... if you must , think about getting trapped under 300 lbs of motorcycle instead ... 😀... Don't fall down...

What type of harness and how much ? Amazon link ? Thanks!

The horses in the fields seemed quite nonchalant about their wet coats as they continued to graze under the arc a beautiful double rainbow. Somewhere beyond those trees was a pot of gold. Maybe two.
Here’s hoping that happiness and good fortune follow you throughout your rides! 👍

Just one question: How do you keep your elbows intact?
Fortunately, I wear elbow pads but they don’t help much when it comes to my shoulders. In most scenarios, the trees are farther apart than what appears in the footage. I think action cameras in general give you a skewed sense of the terrain or what the actual distance between objects is really like. However, there is no doubt that I’ve cut it too close on approaches and, as a result, have received my share of bumps and bruises as well as losing or breaking off bar ends. I don’t ride much DH these days (mostly XC/All Mtn type riding) so I’ve taken the liberty of trimming down my bars 40mm per side to help negotiate really tight technical sections.

It’s no secret that riding single track with someone with equal or significantly superior skills can make you a better and more mindful rider. For this reason, we tend to ride the trails with a bit more vigor when being pushed or chased. 😉

today i tried something different.... my longest eBike ride with the bike turned off.

typically i only do this on local (within city limits) rides up to 20 or maybe 30 miles, and no sustained climbs, and nothing over 6% or so.

but i set off today on a 46 miler and around 20 miles in i thought, i feel pretty good today, and the climbing is pretty spread out on this ride, why not give it a go. the only sustained climb was towards the end, around 350 feet at a reasonable grade, and by then i was on a mission!

total distance, 46.12mi/74km, average speed 15.38mph/24.75kph, 2,078 feet/633 meters of climb. vicious crosswinds for a significant part of the return trip, which is par for the course around here. luckily no directly frontal headwinds.

20210910-paradiseOffice.jpg

only one pic, since this is mostly ground i've already covered. but it was a beautiful day :D

6947-caminoAlto.jpg

Switchback Ride …

Ride with GPS : Kholo Loop : 2021-09-11

It was up and down almost all the way on this morning's ride: genuine Homage territory with no going easy on the power assist, except for the long downhill sections which were a blast.

Pine Mountain, Ipswich

Pine Mountain Bush Reserve
1 km

Brisbane River : Kholo Bridge

Brisbane River, Kholo
12 km

Lake Manchester Road, Brisbane

Lake Manchester Road
24 km

Brisbane River : Colleges Crossing

Brisbane River : Colleges Crossing
35 km

And sharing the quiet place (above; X on the lower map) where I chose to take a break…

Comb-crested Jacana

Comb-crested Jacana

Australian Pelicans

Australian Pelicans
2021-09-11-map-cc.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Remote Office Ride

I wanted to give the title of "Boring Mazovia Ride" to this ride report :) My direct neighbourhood is not exactly inspiring. Flat, agricultural, industrial, residential. Swampy fallow lands make the number of roads limited here. We are now enjoying the last days of Summer, and it's such a waste to sit in your home office with such gorgeous weather outdoor! So I tucked my "business" smartphone into the back pocket of my jersey, and set off for a leisurely (& fitness) ride on Friday's morning.

1631338746260.png

We're not used to private roads in Poland. Here, some greedy owner denied our Borough paving a 235 m long road segment, leaving a nasty gravel gap in the middle of otherwise perfect new asphalt road. (I can guess the owner demanded compensation for paving their road!) Anyway, I was very glad to have had Redshift ShockStop suspension installed on my Vado SL on that ride!

1631339205741.png

There's ongoing construction of new bike paths in Poland nowadays. Here, at picturesque winding new bike path connecting west Brwinów with Milanówek; it runs in the middle of fallow land. Here, I stopped for a while, to find out a message from a customer in Russia. My working day at the remote office had started.

1631339406301.png

Not exactly Holland or Denmark, but Poland is a truly cycling country anyway. The distances are bigger here than they are in the notorious "cycling countries". Many people ride their bikes to the nearest train stop or station, and switch to commuter trains. There is no bike theft in the suburbs such as Milanówek: nobody would leave an expensive bike at the train station. Necessary to mention, bicycles are main transportation means in the countryside as well as for senior/poor people.

1631339721779.png

I'm not saying the pandemic is over here but kids can attend the school at last! I haven't seen anything like that for the past 17 months!

1631339876403.png

If you set Mapy.cz to "MTB mode" with route planning for inhabited areas, you are guaranteed the "Czech Koko" (the optional female Czech voice) will direct you onto a little detour like this one :) A truly quaint countryside road just 100 m away from heavy traffic highway!

1631340054343.png

Here, with chicory flowers, I could set up my remote office for a longer while...

1631340156873.png

Here, while sitting on the grass and working, I could meet this crippled gentleman riding a hand-trike. I liked the sight of his orange umbrella tucked at the back of his wheelchair-bike. We had a long and interesting talk. (He rode to see if there were any apples in this orchard yard).

1631340526438.png

I could not understand why Czech Koko was so reluctant to let me ride to Chlebnia directly. And then I knew it. The new beltway for Grodzisk Mazowiecki was under construction! "No ban is pertaining to us Poles!" as we proudly say :D (Literally "Nie na nas Polaków zakazy!") So I ignored the "No entry" signs as any other cyclist around would have done :)

1631340909983.png

A manor house in Chlebnia (privately owned). The beltway construction made any traffic in the area scarce. On the other way, Koko was so shocked with my insolence that she went completely crazy and punished me with many more kilometres to ride than it was necessary :) (Good I discovered the navigation error before it was too late!)

1631341150551.png

Many train stops on the railroad are... just train stops. Small Jaktorów is proud of its Railway Station, one of the smallest I could ever see! :) Interestingly, the infrastructure in Poland has greatly improved. Nowadays, you can expect either a bike-tunnel (with ramps) or a bike-capable lift on many of the train stops of that railroad.

1631341376465.png

I made a funny goal for some of my rides: Go to Jaktorów Bakery and see if
pączki would be available :) I can ride to any bakery or store for pączki. My point is to ride to Jaktorów to get a reward for my effort! :) [I intentionally rode for 30 km to deserve some pączki on Friday] :D I could not believe my eyes! Pączki were actually on sale!

1631341634570.png

Man, Vado SL in a fitness e-bike indeed! I was so hungry I could not resist to buy a mini-pizza. It was not
that mini... :)

1631341867143.png

I took this picture especially for @Chargeride: "Oh-pie-pie"? I don't think so! Haha!

1631341985036.png

I was riding my Vado SL with the 35/100% assistance for the whole way. The e-bike behaved as a traditional bike, were I a healthy person. Upwind, uphill? Slower. Average speed? Slow. Yet riding an SL e-bike is so close to riding a traditional bike that my trip was a pure pleasure! The range on the main 320 Wh battery would be approximately 90 km, or 56 miles. It is very, very low battery consumption compared to full power e-bikes (but the latter ride faster; not everybody can match @mschwett!)

Last edited:
Back