Our Rides in Words, Photos & Videos

A good Friday ride …
Wanora, Queensland

Wanora, QLD
7:00 am; 7 km
Long shadows and dewy grass: the signs of late sunrises and cooler weather.

I rode out on my own and came back with four friends. Nothing had been planned; we just met by chance about a minute before I was about to turn around anyway. Good company? Four Specialized electric mountain bikes plus a Greenspeed etrike! Apart from being different colours, the Levos all looked the same to me. (I'll have to learn!)

Tomorrow morning we'll meet up at today's furthest point and continue the ride from Coominya to Esk and back. My ride today was from home but tomorrow will require car assist. Having an ebike increases my carbon footprint.

Brisbane River Valley

Last edited by a moderator:
Past its use-by date?
Sandy Creek Trestle Bridge, Mount Hallen

Sandy Creek, near Mount Hallen *
9:25 am; 29 km
Ebikers – Danny MacAskill on his Santa Cruz Heckler eMTB ** excepted – should keep to the safety planks (left, please) rather than ride atop the steel rails. Refuge platforms are provided at the midpoint in case of one encounters oncoming traffic.

Being timid, we chose to follow the track through the gully. If you squint a bit, you should be able to see one of our Easter Saturday group, obscured by a small tree, to the left of the bulging rail. (I was slow clicking the camera shutter. Again!)

Coominya – Esk – Coominya

Trail Trivia…
* creek : inland stream, usually dry (also tidal inlet)
* Sandy Creek : commonest name for Australian creeks (used with good reason)
* mount : bump in the landscape (used without good reason)

** Danny MacAskill and his Santa Cruz Heckler ebike

Last edited by a moderator:
With all respect Stefan, I think a new nickname for you is in order - PHOENIX!
Now, it's going to be really funny!
Screenshot_20210403-065146_Maps-01.jpeg

The vaccination place: Detox Phoenix, General Surgery, Alcohol Detox, Antabuse, Naltrexone
:D

The Polish Govt. April Fools' Day

Our Government seems to be lost in their efforts to fight covid. An official news spread: "Anyone aged 40+ can register for vaccination now". 700,000 people hurried to register, effectively putting Govt servers out of operation (effectively a DDoS attack). Then, the Health Minister denies his earlier own message (so everyone call it April Fools). Then, servers start working and the same man says all registered people will get vaccination dates for May. Finally, big number of registered people get messages they can be vaccinated right now! (Otherwise, 1.8 million shots of vaccine would be lost). No wonder we call the current Govt "The Cardboard State" 🤣

(At least my own vaccination date has been confirmed as April 1st was the day of registration for people born in 1961).

Friends and family helped me move into the new apartment on Good Friday. I'll be ready to move in on the coming Monday. My Trance E+ has been transferred to my brother, his younger son and the other brother for good use. Vado stays in Warsaw (I would be picking it up for more ambitious trips). The Lovelec... A friend who's helping me was not sure how safe the new neighbourhood had been. So we left the e-bike inside the flat battery-less and fastened to the radiator with ABUS U-lock! 😁

Last edited:
Past its use-by date?
View attachment 83712
Sandy Creek, near Mount Hallen *
9:25 am; 29 km
Ebikers – Danny MacAskill on his Santa Cruz Heckler eMTB ** excepted – should keep to the safety planks (left, please) rather than ride atop the steel rails. Refuge platforms are provided at the midpoint in case of one encounters oncoming traffic.

Being timid, we chose to follow the track through the gully. If you squint a bit, you should be able to see one of our Easter Saturday group, obscured by a small tree, to the left of the bulging rail. (I was slow clicking the camera shutter. Again!)

View attachment 83716

Trail Trivia…
* creek : inland stream, usually dry (also tidal inlet)
* Sandy Creek : commonest name for Australian creeks (used with good reason)
* mount : bump in the landscape (used without good reason)

** Danny MacAskill and his Santa Cruz Heckler ebike
I lke that one, more 'real' than the others even though he's promoting a bike.
Oh and your pics are nice as well :)

Without further ado,

View attachment 83720
Here are the latest updates for my Bosch unit.

View attachment 83721
This baby sings such a sweet song :)

View attachment 83722
Ol' man Winter is hanging on to dear life! Wind chill was in the low 30s, 15mph winds from the North, brrrrrrr :)
Hopefully today will be nicer! Eh, who cares, who am I kidding, I'll still be riding hahahaha.

Ride like the wind my fellow ebr's 🥳
That's a gorgeous looking Trek. And love the almost Victorian Brooks saddle against the hi tech-ness of the rest! It shows when something works, doesn't matter when it was made or invented. The only way it could be better is if you'd gone for one with steel springs!

That's a gorgeous looking Trek. And love the almost Victorian Brooks saddle against the hi tech-ness of the rest! It shows when something works, doesn't matter when it was made or invented. The only way it could be better is if you'd gone for one with steel springs!
Thanks, I have the one with springs on my acoustic fat bike!
20200919_111942.jpg

I lke that one, more 'real' than the others even though he's promoting a bike.
Oh and your pics are nice as well :)
I can see you trying that on your fat bike ;) Danny has no fear whatsoever, he is a total nutter! 🤣 He sure can ride a bike, he never ceases to amaze me with his riding skills! You would never think anybody could do some of that with a heavy e bike!

Without further ado,

View attachment 83720
Here are the latest updates for my Bosch unit.

View attachment 83721
This baby sings such a sweet song :)

View attachment 83722
Ol' man Winter is hanging on to dear life! Wind chill was in the low 30s, 15mph winds from the North, brrrrrrr :)
Hopefully today will be nicer! Eh, who cares, who am I kidding, I'll still be riding hahahaha.

Ride like the wind my fellow ebr's 🥳
scotch on the rocks? our winds have been more in the 40 to 60 mph range which has been effective in clearing the lake of ice and piling it up on shore20210402_153103.jpg

A couple of days ago I did this challenging for me, but really fun trail. I never did it before because I there is shorter ride called Larison Rock very close to this one that may son and I would take on our MTBs. I chose this one because a trail guide listed it as an EMTB route and I always wanted see the entire trail. We have hunted mushrooms numerous times at the end of Larison, but I have never been to the top.
Topo.PNG

Trip log.PNG

Beautiful trail, but hasn't been traveled much this year. There were three trees that had fallen on the trail and I was very fortunate in that there was a manageable way either over or around them. This particular one fell down the middle of the trail, but you could skirt the right hand side.

Beautiful old growth area with numerous switch backs, up and downs. I crossed Larison creek only one time on a risky log bridge. I had seen the "wheel barrel walk mode" method on a youtube channel which allows you to move your ebike through a very narrow passage. I was able to get my bike up on the log with the rear wheel in front but found walk mode was way too fast. I had to use walk mode for about 2 ft., clamp the rear brake, then I would shuffle two feet to catch up to the bike and repeat. This was surprisingly easy because holding the handle bars actually gave me better balance. The log was slippery so it pretty slow going.
Crossing.JPG

This next tunnel, concerned me when I first saw it because I was unsure if my bike would fit through. Most of these newer bikes have much wider handle bars than my older MTB.
Hole in the wall.JPG

Numerous switchbacks mainly at the top.
switchback.JPG

This is one of the first rides have done where I found the true capability of these bikes. The suspension is superb, the handling was very confident and the bike felt very nimble until I had to lift it over a few logs - by the end of the ride I wasn't exhausted. Couldn't have done it with out the electric. So much fun!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Couldn't have done it with out the electric. So much fun!
Jack…
My friends love their Specialized Levos (one looks identical to yours). Where we ride together is non-technical so I can manage to tag along, but sometimes they cannot help themselves and peel off our rough trail to do some serious mountain biking. Awesome!
…David

Quite a ride! I’m looking forward to more pics from your travels, you’ll live in what appears to be a very good area for this kind of stuff.

Great looking bike too... my local shop has what appears to be a twin to it in stock, I was eying it intensely the other day while fooling around over there.

Here’s Mud In Your Eye

Yesterday’s ride involved a familiar loop of trails albeit in the opposite direction of flow than what I am accustomed to. The warmer temperatures also created a few challenges along the way namely….MUD and more MUD!
April 2nd Ride (map).jpeg

April 2nd Ride (7).jpg

As usual, my knowledgeable trail partner, Kelvin, was light years ahead of me and his speed is likely what prevented much of that sticky goo from adhering to his tires. Meanwhile, yours truly was poking along and everything but the kitchen sink was sticking to my wheels. Leaves were the worst culprit as they began accumulating in layers on the front end of the Trance like butter on bread.
April 2nd Ride (1)jpg.jpgApril 2nd Ride (2).jpg

We started off at MacKenzie Bluff on the east side of the Red Deer River followed up with a muddy jaunt at the local MTB park on a trail aptly named Roots, Turns, and Twists. We concluded our Good Friday ride through the Pines Single Track run and changed things up by riding the bare pathways at Heritage Ranch before returning home. The trails spanked me hard and the mud may have ruled the day but I still had a blast. 😁
April 2nd Ride (3).jpgApril 2nd Ride (4).jpgApril 2nd Ride (5)jpg.jpgApril 2nd Ride (6).jpgapril 2nd Ride (9)jpg.jpgApril 2nd Ride (8)jpg.jpgApril 2nd Ride (MTB Park).jpeg
As we approached the last section prior to exiting the MTB park, we couldn't go any further as a steep hill covered in ice blocked our way. We managed to find an alternative trail lower down.....through, you guessed it...more MUD!
April 2nd Ride (10)jpg.jpgApril 2nd Ride (11).jpg
Back at home for a well deserved wash...I even managed to pick up an unwanted hitchhiker along the way. :rolleyes:
IMG_20210402_1441491.jpgIMG_20210402_1442032.jpgIMG_20210402_1442074.jpgIMG_20210402_1403387.jpg
For this ride, I was without a chest harness as the quick-release mount bit the dust and replacement parts for it were not available. Thankfully the good folks at Amazon were kind enough to send me a replacement harness. Unfortunately, it also meant that I had to make do with an out-front bar mount. I don’t recommend using one on the trail especially if the camera is in direct view of cables as was in the case of the footage (sans audio track) that I shot yesterday. There is also the chance that the mount could slip down if not properly secured to the bars or worse become detached/damaged in the even of a fall or impact with a tree.

First Post-Fire Ride (Very Cold Sunny Day)

The Jazza's home has been full of female family members and friends. Tempted by pleasant sunshine and not discouraged by cold northerly wind (plus two short snowfall), I rode out on Vado in the Good Saturday afternoon with the target to test the 604 Wh battery range with 30/35% assistance/max motor power setting.

1617495315985.png

Surprise! Having reached the left Vistula bank at the new Southern Bridge, I gave @Jerzy Bańkowski a phone call and he was indeed riding nearby! So we met at the other end of the bridge. Jerzy didn't take a cap for the ride. As the weather was really cold, Jerzy rode together with me for some distance to return home soon.

1617495531576.png

Me in brand new cycling clothes bought earlier on that day in Decathlon. (Some good clothes including shoes burned in the fire).

1617496971693.png

A former hangar. The space now occupied by the large Gocław housing estate used to be a general aviation airfield when I was a teenager. I often used to ride to that huge green field with my bike in my youth.

1617497315315.png

I have lived in this block of flats for 17 years. New Saska Kępa.

1617497471008.png

Bolesław Prus Lyceum, or my high school. All in Saska Kępa (Saxon Hurst), an area first inhabited by the Hollanders (so "Saxon").

1617497625021.png

"The National Covid Hospital" (formerly Warsaw National Stadium).

1617497815297.png

Holy Cross Bridge.

1617497867066.png

Gdański Bridge. Can you see how deserted Warsaw is? Easter, cold weather, high rate of covid.

1617498003278.png

General George S. Patton Boulevard at the left bank of Vistula.

1617498098685.png

Warsaw Mermaid in full sunshine.

1617498160858.png

That northerly cold wind... The battery charge reached 55% at Gdański Bridge (I was riding upwind). When I later rode downwind, the battery consumption dropped significantly. In the end, I completed the loop with 33% battery left!

1617498322101.png

So-called Port of Czerniaków. Warsaw doesn't make any good use of the river actually.

1617498436755.png

Warsaw is certainly missing no churches. I like this one (St. Catherine church) for looks and location on a hill overlooking the Valley of Służew.

1617498552289.png

Ride map with POI.

1617498594915.png

In reality, it felt dramatically cold. My new clothes were good, still, I was happy to return to Jazza's after 3 hours outside!

Springtime in Virginia is the best time to get the ebike out on the road for some quality cycling time. But springtime in Virginia is also the best time to get the gardens ready for the summer/fall crops, the fields groomed, the outdoor furniture set up for summer, all the outdoor farm projects started, etc, etc.

Which means the bike riding gets squeezed further down on the priority list. Just squeezed, mind you. Not forsaken.

Yesterday I managed to crawl out from under the pile of busy farm projects to enjoy a relaxed solo 20 mile gravel road ride around our quiet countryside. It was, without embellishment, a total treat. Spring is taking its good 'ol time arriving around these parts, but if the greening grass has anything to say on the matter, the heady rush of new growth will arrive by next week at the latest.

IMG_20210403_151704_7_copy_816x612.jpg

Most of the roads were butter smooth and very fast, the tracks from various motor vehicles having pushed the stones into the substrate to create an exceptional riding experience that was virtually effort-free, marred only by an unexpected pothole here or there. Where the state had spent time "improving" the roads with a fresh layer of new gravel, my speed dropped like the proverbial stone down to a labored crawl of only 8mph. At one point, going up a particularly fierce, freshly graveled hill...nay, make that deeply thick, as in "laid on with a trowl", freshly graveled road, and make the hill a monstrous Everest-of-a-mountain going straight up ...even in 2nd gear with highest assist on, my speed dropped to 0mph. I was forced, ignominiously, to step/stagger off my bike and take the "walk of shame" up the remaining bit of the hill. Of course this would be the one and only time there would be other people out in the road for the entire 20 mile ride to witness what had never been seen before, and hopefully never will again. Two ladies walking and talking were my unintended audience. It was embarrassing, to say the least. At the top of the hill I recovered my breath, and my dignity, hopped back on the bike, and resumed my ride as if nothing had ever happened. My bike resumed its carefree course as if nothing had happened either, but I assure you I gave it a stern talking to later in the garage.

IMG_20210403_154538_9_copy_612x816.jpg

I love these inpromptu roadside streams. They only appear after the rains have swollen the small creeks onto the road itself even as the rest of clear, clean, fresh waters tumbles in artistically carved stream beds winding through fields and woods along the way, passing under the roads in old metal culverts that had seen better days and, more often than not, displaying partly crushed opening from any number of vehicles over the years that had failed to maintain a straight course on the roadbed above. Many of the old culverts were starting to rust away, too, creating small holes in the road above as the gravel found its way down through the rusted opening into the tunneled creek below. Entropy reigns supreme, but at a snail's pace.

IMG_20210403_151913_0_copy_1299x692.jpg

Cows taking full advantage of the greening pastures, pausing in their efforts to provide a full manicure of the fields while they watch my bike tootle down the road.
IMG_20210403_151913_0_copy_315x273.jpg

Not sure of the breed, but those horns are sure trophy sized.

Screenshot_20210403_210249.jpg

My amble took me past an older gentleman in his front yard, busy picking up fallen tree branches to build a meticulous Tower-of-Babble-worthy column bonfire which sat nearby. I passed him without greeting (he looked rather busy), but stopped when I started to pass his back yard. There, without preamble, stood the strangest thing. A small tree decorated (for lack of a better word) with glittering purple glass (wine?) bottles hung/placed/shoved onto the ends of each branch. And a garden gnome, his back to me so he was unaware of my stopping to stare.

I turned my bike around and pedaled back to the front of the property to see if the older gentleman picking up sticks was still there. He was, his arms full. I called out a hello and he raised his head, pausing in his stick collection efforts while he looked around in confusion to locate where that voice had come from. I waved hello as I stopped at the head of his driveway. He saw me then, and (still looking a trifle confused) waited politely while, unbeknownst to him, two sticks snuck out from the others gathered under his arm, dropping to the ground in hopes of making their escape from a soon to be firey death. I engaged in the typical greetings and pleasantries of a random passerby, told him I admired his property, then expressed my intense desire to know the significance of the "bottle tree".

"I have no idea" he said plainly speaking, looking at me even as another stick silently dropped from the back of the pile under his arm hoping to join the first two in an escape effort. He stood and waited for my response. The ball was now in my court.

His comment took me aback. "You...don't know why all those bottles are on your tree?" I asked, incredulous.

"No," he said, his attention on me, unaware that yet a fourth stick had dislodged from his grasp, dropping to the ground to hide in the grass. If he stood any longer, his arm was going to be totally empty. "That's my wife's department," he said as solemn as if he was putting his hand on a bible to swear an oath in front of a court judge

"And she didn't tell you why?"

He drew himself up straight, his white mustache as proud of itself as he was of himself, and declared with the complete conviction of an long married husband in good standing: "I have learned not to ask".

Another stick made its unseen escape from his unwitting grasp while he stood and surveyed me, waiting for my next question. My turn for an escape. I thanked him, told him again that his property looked beautiful (which earned me a grateful smile from his mustache), and took off down the road. I glanced at the gnome's back as I passed the garden, wondering what his story was. But I wasn't about to go back for another go-around with Srgt. "I Know Nothing!" Schultz picking up his sticks for his bonfire build. I'll wait to see if the Colonel...I mean the wife... is out and about next time I travel down this road.

Sometimes life imitates a comedy sitcom.

Makes my rides immensely entertaining from a human interest standpoint.
Screenshot_20210404_085828_copy_614x801.jpg

Last edited:
Back