Our Rides in Words, Photos & Videos

First Post-Fire Ride (Very Cold Sunny Day)

The Jazza's home has been full of female family members and friends. Tempted by pleasant sunshine and not discouraged by cold northerly wind (plus two short snowfall), I rode out on Vado in the Good Saturday afternoon with the target to test the 604 Wh battery range with 30/35% assistance/max motor power setting.

View attachment 83787
Surprise! Having reached the left Vistula bank at the new Southern Bridge, I gave @Jerzy Bańkowski a phone call and he was indeed riding nearby! So we met at the other end of the bridge. Jerzy didn't take a cap for the ride. As the weather was really cold, Jerzy rode together with me for some distance to return home soon.

View attachment 83788
Me in brand new cycling clothes bought earlier on that day in Decathlon. (Some good clothes including shoes burned in the fire).

View attachment 83790
A former hangar. The space now occupied by the large Gocław housing estate used to be a general aviation airfield when I was a teenager. I often used to ride to that huge green field with my bike in my youth.

View attachment 83791
I have lived in this block of flats for 17 years. New Saska Kępa.

View attachment 83792
Bolesław Prus Lyceum, or my high school. All in Saska Kępa (Saxon Hurst), an area first inhabited by the Hollanders (so "Saxon").

View attachment 83793
"The National Covid Hospital" (formerly Warsaw National Stadium).

View attachment 83796
Holy Cross Bridge.

View attachment 83797
Gdański Bridge. Can you see how deserted Warsaw is? Easter, cold weather, high rate of covid.

View attachment 83798
General George S. Patton Boulevard at the left bank of Vistula.

View attachment 83799
Warsaw Mermaid in full sunshine.

View attachment 83800
That northerly cold wind... The battery charge reached 55% at Gdański Bridge (I was riding upwind). When I later rode downwind, the battery consumption dropped significantly. In the end, I completed the loop with 33% battery left!

View attachment 83801
So-called Port of Czerniaków. Warsaw doesn't make any good use of the river actually.

View attachment 83802
Warsaw is certainly missing no churches. I like this one (St. Catherine church) for looks and location on a hill overlooking the Valley of Służew.

View attachment 83803
Ride map with POI.

View attachment 83804
In reality, it felt dramatically cold. My new clothes were good, still, I was happy to return to Jazza's after 3 hours outside!
So wonderful that you're back on (one of) your bike(s) again, Stefan! Grab that happiness by the handlebars and ride it as far as you can go, as your "resurrection" works itself out 💞!

Last edited:
More than another creek crossing …
Cooragook Trestle Bridge : Coominya–Esk : Brisbane Valley Rail Trail

Cooragook Trestle Bridge
Coominya–Esk : Brisbane Valley RT
We should have noticed! The evidence is right here in the photo!

One of our group's members had stopped to tinker with his ebike (another was tinkering with his camera). Loose pedal! By coffee break time, an hour later, the pedal had come off altogether and, at last, the other four took note as our friend, adjustable wrench in hand, struggled with his demon.

We looked at each other in horror, not daring to utter the words That's the left pedal!

Stripped bare!

1617548904086.png

@Stefan Mikes Its great to see you posting a ride again, I'm sure that will help your frame of mind while rebuilding your home!:)

Today I got a proper workout, I started with 1 battery at 98% and the other at 80% and almost flattened both of them! 😮 45mph winds and over 4000ft of climbing played their part of course, they said the winds would pick up in the afternoon...yeah right! ;) It sure was fun with that wind behind me though, especially on roads like this!

1617548719457.jpeg

1617548794403.jpeg

I had to be really careful with the crosswinds, thats what makes an e bike so much more enjoyable of course with the extra weight! I saw lots of cyclists braving the winds though, I don't think I would have been out on my carbon bike in those winds....

Attachments

• elevation_profile269.jpg
    elevation_profile269.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 197
  • trip-64918894-map-full184.png
    trip-64918894-map-full184.png
    422.1 KB · Views: 207
  • 20210404_100005.jpg
    20210404_100005.jpg
    546.5 KB · Views: 219
  • 20210404_100015.jpg
    20210404_100015.jpg
    559.5 KB · Views: 212
  • 20210404_100031.jpg
    20210404_100031.jpg
    160.4 KB · Views: 216
  • 20210404_100037.jpg
    20210404_100037.jpg
    198.1 KB · Views: 200
  • 20210404_100049.jpg
    20210404_100049.jpg
    288.9 KB · Views: 215
  • 20210404_101719.jpg
    20210404_101719.jpg
    477.7 KB · Views: 212
  • 20210404_101850.jpg
    20210404_101850.jpg
    624 KB · Views: 206
  • 20210404_112336.jpg
    20210404_112336.jpg
    766.2 KB · Views: 216
  • 20210404_112344.jpg
    20210404_112344.jpg
    821.9 KB · Views: 206
First Post-Fire Ride (Very Cold Sunny Day)

The Jazza's home has been full of female family members and friends. Tempted by pleasant sunshine and not discouraged by cold northerly wind (plus two short snowfall), I rode out on Vado in the Good Saturday afternoon with the target to test the 604 Wh battery range with 30/35% assistance/max motor power setting.

View attachment 83787
Surprise! Having reached the left Vistula bank at the new Southern Bridge, I gave @Jerzy Bańkowski a phone call and he was indeed riding nearby! So we met at the other end of the bridge. Jerzy didn't take a cap for the ride. As the weather was really cold, Jerzy rode together with me for some distance to return home soon.

View attachment 83788
Me in brand new cycling clothes bought earlier on that day in Decathlon. (Some good clothes including shoes burned in the fire).

View attachment 83790
A former hangar. The space now occupied by the large Gocław housing estate used to be a general aviation airfield when I was a teenager. I often used to ride to that huge green field with my bike in my youth.

View attachment 83791
I have lived in this block of flats for 17 years. New Saska Kępa.

View attachment 83792
Bolesław Prus Lyceum, or my high school. All in Saska Kępa (Saxon Hurst), an area first inhabited by the Hollanders (so "Saxon").

View attachment 83793
"The National Covid Hospital" (formerly Warsaw National Stadium).

View attachment 83796
Holy Cross Bridge.

View attachment 83797
Gdański Bridge. Can you see how deserted Warsaw is? Easter, cold weather, high rate of covid.

View attachment 83798
General George S. Patton Boulevard at the left bank of Vistula.

View attachment 83799
Warsaw Mermaid in full sunshine.

View attachment 83800
That northerly cold wind... The battery charge reached 55% at Gdański Bridge (I was riding upwind). When I later rode downwind, the battery consumption dropped significantly. In the end, I completed the loop with 33% battery left!

View attachment 83801
So-called Port of Czerniaków. Warsaw doesn't make any good use of the river actually.

View attachment 83802
Warsaw is certainly missing no churches. I like this one (St. Catherine church) for looks and location on a hill overlooking the Valley of Służew.

View attachment 83803
Ride map with POI.

View attachment 83804
In reality, it felt dramatically cold. My new clothes were good, still, I was happy to return to Jazza's after 3 hours outside!
Ooh..your piccies have ramped up..lovely.

Góra Kalwaria Classic Ride (Easter)

1617604331383.png

"Grab the day" -- Ewa, one of Jazza's sisters present at the Easter breakfast remarked -- "You won't find any better cycling weather in the coming days". Magnificent sunshine combined with as many as 10 C (50 F) lured me to a longer Vado ride for Sunday.

As for a fairly big city, Warsaw doesn't offer too many long bike trails. A classic route for a roadie is to get South to Góra Kalwaria (Mt. Calvary) and back to Warsaw, avoiding traffic. As I'm riding an "e-moped" and am not afraid of riding with traffic, I chose Hwy 724 to get to Góra Kalwaria; a fast uneventful ride with tailwind on good asphalt.

My intention has been to learn riding with less and less assistance to explore the limits of a single battery range. For that reason, my assistance on the outward ride leg was just 25/25% ("It's 0.96 x You! -- or 130 W maximum")

1617605036341.png

"Góra Kawiarnia", or a biker-oriented cafe in Góra Kalwaria. Every single cyclist must visit that place for coffee and cake, which makes fantastic business (taken into account how many bikers frequent Góra Kalwaria even at the worst weather, holiday, and during the pandemic).

1617605270715.png

A mural commemorating the best Polish road-cyclist ever: Ryszard Szurkowski. Szurkowski was a competing cyclist by age of 72, when he was met by a bad accident that left him paralyzed. He died on February 1st, 2021 at age of 75. (The mural was painted when the athlete was still alive).

1617605626433.png

Crossroads on the classic GK - WAW route. Almost everyone turns left here to stay on asphalt. Well, I chose the harder way riding straight on :D

1617605736157.png

What you can see is a "high quality" fragment of the "gravel/MTB" trail. The road was as bad as you could only imagine! Yet, that segment gave me a lot of fun indeed. I even met a madman similar to me there! The guy was riding a gravel bike and took the trail on purpose. We exchanged big big grins and greeted each other -- because you really need to love "gravel/MTB" cycling to take such a shortcut.

1617606079240.png

I was very surprised when the trail led me to a place I could recognize: Vistula River at Gassy. (There is a ferry in Gassy that operates in warm months).

1617607486642.png

There is a long Vistula embankment from Gassy to Warsaw named Wał Zawadowski. It is complemented with a sealed road along, making it a favourite cycling route for Warsawers (especially roadies). The bike path at the top of the "wall" is not really good though (the road along is far better).

I was riding upwind and still conserved the battery charge. No wonder, some roadies took me over. As I continued the ride, I suddenly noticed the distance between them and me was remaining constant. "Ah, you two!" I murmured and switched to 50% assistance. I caught up with them, went into 35% assistance and was patiently following them for many kilometres. Suddenly, they were met with... gravel :D Oh, sweet victory! Riding abreast of one of the roadies, I greeted him, expressed my concern about their wheels, etc, etc, then slowly took them over gaining speed on the said gravel road :)

1617608013138.png

At some point, cyclists have to leave Wał Zawadowski as the space is occupied by "Siekierki" Heat & Power Plant (one of two large powerplants of Warsaw).

1617608138873.png

There is a little lake nearby, which is Nature reservation! Despite of the powerplant in the background.

1617608269847.png

I rode up a hill to get to a place called "Królikarnia" (English: Warren). There was a zoo and a rabbit warren during Poland's Saxon kings rule (18th c) and then a palace was built there. Nowadays, it is a Museum of Sculpture devoted to Xavery Dunikowski. (To get up the Vistula escarpment, you better just use Turbo mode) :)

1617608666195.png

Ride map with POI.

1617608750463.png

I seem to have started liking low assistance riding :) As you can see, average assistance on my ride was just 30% (in Specialized terminology).

953 m (3100 ft) elevation gain? In Mazovia?! Yes. The Mt in the Calvary name is true.
P.S. Not true! A GPS fault. Not more than 150 m elevation gain...

Last edited:
More than another creek crossing …
View attachment 83794
Cooragook Trestle Bridge
Coominya–Esk : Brisbane Valley RT
We should have noticed! The evidence is right here in the photo!

One of our group's members had stopped to tinker with his ebike (another was tinkering with his camera). Loose pedal! By coffee break time, an hour later, the pedal had come off altogether and, at last, the other four took note as our friend, adjustable wrench in hand, struggled with his demon.

We looked at each other in horror, not daring to utter the words That's the left pedal!

Stripped bare!
OOPS ...is there a shop to blame or is the wound self inflicted?

OOPS ...is there a shop to blame or is the wound self-inflicted?
DIY

When one buys an 'internet ebike' it's hard to shift the blame, especially when one knows with certainty 😢 which of the pedals goes on the 'wrong' way… which raises the question of whether the other pedal was forced on incorrectly, too!

Repeat ten times: Pedal on the right has a right-hand thread which is the right way to screw things in. Alternatively, just look at the thread to see how it's going to corkscrew its way in!

Last edited by a moderator:
A little behind, but the flooring guy just showed up to do touch-ups, so I'm not going anywhere for a bit.
On Saturday, I went out onto my hill to see the state of the terrain.

Strava_April3_2.JPG

Strava_April3_1.JPG

I entered the park via one of my normal routes, the one by my mother's manor, as I dropped off some Easter flowers and a treat - some left over pizza.
For those that know Calgary, that's the parking lot at 64th Ave and 14th St NW.
Mom and one of her friends really look forward to that treat as I do it every 2 or 3 weeks. I freeze the pieces (thin crust) in a couple of large ziplock bags and it fits in m y small backpack. The flowers did too - some carnations. I had to have the stems sticking out of the top, but with everything wrapped up it worked fine.

20210403_134045.jpg

Up top, it was much drier on most of the trails, but the pond that the dogs love so much is back.
Here's the happiest dog on the hill, followed by the saddest (he was told NOT to go for a swim)
20210403_150919.jpg 20210403_150805.jpg

Trails were getting a good workout with bikers and walkers. There was one father and son group who I wanted to take a picture of as the kid was barely as big as the tires on his bike.
As I was stopped right by them I did the polite thing and asked the kid if it was OK for me to take a picture, but he was really shy and said no - so no PIC.

Some of the areas around #4 on the map. I rode through that area in both directions of my wandering.
20210403_134946.jpg 20210403_134948.jpg 20210403_135528.jpg 20210403_140146.jpg 20210403_140710.jpg 20210403_140341.jpg 20210403_142522.jpg

In the trees (#5) or on north facing slopes, there are still the occasional remnants of snow.

20210403_135524.jpg 20210403_140429.jpg

Also on the map, in the bottom left from #2 - 3, id one of my favorite runs - and one of these days we'll get a video of the downhill run through a gentle ravine..
It's a good climb up from 3 to 2, and I do it a lot, but for Saturday, the downhill was preferred!. It's where I hit top speed of 43kmh, and that was probably foolish...

As it was Easter weekend, I thought I'd pop by my friends at #1 as historically, he does the Easter feast (we do Xmas eve) and as I was heading north, I spied a spot off to the east with some stone cairns. I didn't mark it on the map, but it's just to the right of the "Nose Hill Park" label.

20210403_152334.jpg 20210403_152339.jpg 20210403_152354.jpg

Had a nice visit with mf friend, whose home backs onto the park. Back in the mid 90's I'd helped him landscape his yard with cascading retaining walls, and we'd made a very useful patio area overlooking the park. With light jackets on and socially distanced, we had a lovely visit.

His place is just over this hill...

20210403_153243.jpg

After the visit - it was about time to head for home and prepare supper, so I followed some single track around the outside of the park (like my "corner rides").
A great day, but once again no Audiobook. I will likely get back to that this afternoon.

Weather gone from 23 degrees C to about 2 over night, it tried to snow today and I decided to just chill and recover from yesterdays too much to drink Easter.
Bacardi and lucozade...dont ask.

Made the vid of the Liverpool football stadiums, they are two of the most famous teams in the UK and most people arent aware they are only a quarter of a mile apart.

Liverpool is the richer club, but Everton always sells itself as the peoples club, the rivalry is real but never fisticuffs, though they are known as bitter blues and I can verify theres a lot of truth in that.
You can see from the old pics I put on the end ,the massive changes in the area on the hill, they knocked down the slums and moved everyone into the country.
Entire towns were built by 60s architects who made the weirdest, souless, sprawling communities with no pavements and immense roundabouts/rotararies, the biggest one is about 120 metres across, you keep finding people walking down the road.
The scooter is the one they are allowing in a few UK cities, hundreds of them, looks pretty high quality and you see them easily climbing quite steep hills, I might hire one for a spin.

One swear word at the beginning, nothing bad, just a warning.

Weather gone from 23 degrees C to about 2 over night, it tried to snow today and I decided to just chill and recover from yesterdays too much to drink Easter.
Bacardi and lucozade...dont ask.

Made the vid of the Liverpool football stadiums, they are two of the most famous teams in the UK and most people arent aware they are only a quarter of a mile apart.

Liverpool is the richer club, but Everton always sells itself as the peoples club, the rivalry is real but never fisticuffs, though they are known as bitter blues and I can verify theres a lot of truth in that.
You can see from the old pics I put on the end ,the massive changes in the area on the hill, they knocked down the slums and moved everyone into the country.
Entire towns were built by 60s architects who made the weirdest, souless, sprawling communities with no pavements and immense roundabouts/rotararies, the biggest one is about 120 metres across, you keep finding people walking down the road.
The scooter is the one they are allowing in a few UK cities, hundreds of them, looks pretty high quality and you see them easily climbing quite steep hills, I might hire one for a spin.

One swear word at the beginning, nothing bad, just a warning.
Another great video; and, great music. Thank you.

Postcards From Warsaw (Easter Monday)

Just fancy you are a first time visitor to Warsaw and your friend sets out for a e-bike guided tour together with you. On a cold, windy, and -- fortunately -- almost dry day :)

1617687059034.png

Józef Piłsudski's Academy for Physical Training (AWF). In the beginning of resurrected Poland, our famous Marshall decided that Polish youth needed mass participation in sports, and founded this Academy. Many competing athletes get their university degrees here.

1617687300413.png

Bielański Hospital is located almost opposite of the AWF. Here, angioplasty surgeons rescued my bad leg twice (2016, 2017). I need to add the green Bielany quarter was the land of my childhood.

1617687459185.png

At the northernmost of Warsaw bridges, Marie Curie Bridge.

1617687540977.png

The City Hall did a lot to develop bike infrastructure for Warsaw. Here, Żerań Bike Bridge (over the Royal Channel) that allows riding bike paths all the way from the Northern to the Southern Bridge (on Vistula right bank).

1617687730293.png

On the left Vistula bank again. Here: Vistula Bike Trail. Your options are riding an asphalt bike path in the front of the Olympic Centre or take a gravel road behind the building.

1617687863269.png

Warsaw Citadel (a very small part of it visible here). The fort had been built by Russian invaders who could hold rebellious Warsaw under checkmate with their artillery.

1617688060845.png

Warsaw Old Town wall; Barbican at far right. As the left-bank Warsaw is located on a high escarpment, you need to climb from the river side. E-bike helps :)

1617688181984.png

Leaving the Barbican, you get into the Old Town. Now, a historical note:

Warsaw was razed to the ground by German Nazi in 1944. There was virtually no building left in the Old Town, perhaps with exception of this or that ruined church. The initial plan of the new government was: "Leave the sea of rubble as a memorial; move the capital city elsewhere". Yet, surviving Warsawers returned, followed by newcomers. So, whole Warsaw was to be rebuilt from scratch. What a feast for architects! They actually were given green light to do whatever they wanted, at least for the Old and New Towns. Old Town was meticulously reconstructed to the smallest detail, and actually made nicer than it had been. There were two major changes, though. Pre-war architects dreamed of demolishing the Gdańsk Building and replacing it with the 15th c. Barbican. And it was done post-war (as the Gdańsk Building was already down). Nowomiejska Street was just moved say, 10 meters to make the construction of the Barbican feasible. What you see in the picture above is not exactly how it was before 1944. Just nicer.

1617689112566.png

Warsaw Old Town Square.

1617689173359.png

Warsaw Mermaid #1 is located by the river. Mermaid #2 found her place in the center of the Old Town Square. There are more Mermaids in Warsaw. (Any of them wields a sword and a shield).

1617689380114.png

At Barss' Restaurant for hot chocolate and Coke Zero. Lockdown has put restaurants in hard position (only takeway allowed). As I rarely frequent Old Town restaurants, it was my first time at Barss', and only because the gent behind the bar was loudly inviting for hot beverages. Note: The guy named Barss first opened his restaurant in 1853.

1617689676048.png

Warsaw Royal Castle that was being reconstructed very slowly and only re-opened to the public in 1984. The second major change in the post-war reconstruction was to completely replace road system (now, there is a tunnel under the Castle Square).

1617689873386.png

The entry to Krakowskie Przedmieście, a long historical street the best covered by walking or riding. At left: The bell-tower and St. Anne church. Everything loaded with history.

1617690007089.png

I failed taking close-ups of Mermaid #3, and Mr Vistula. Poles think of Vistula as of a woman. Some ancient artist presented Vistula as a bearded, wild man :D (I hope to return here for close-ups in some near future).

1617690187233.png

Ride Map with POI.

1617690240712.png

I have noticed big cities become small, and steep hills are surprisingly flat when you travel on e-bike...

Last edited:

Just fancy you are a first time visitor to Warsaw and your friend sets out for a e-bike guided tour together with you. On a cold, windy, and -- fortunately -- almost dry day :)

View attachment 84019
Józef Piłsudski's Academy for Physical Training (AWF). In the beginning of resurrected Poland, our famous Marshall decided that Polish youth needed mass participation in sports, and founded this Academy. Many competing athletes get their university degrees here.

View attachment 84020
Bielański Hospital is located almost opposite of the AWF. Here, angioplasty surgeons rescued my bad leg twice (2016, 2017). I need to add the green Bielany quarter was the land of my childhood.

View attachment 84021

View attachment 84022
The City Hall did a lot to develop bike infrastructure for Warsaw. Here, Żerań Bike Bridge (over the Royal Channel) that allows riding bike paths all the way from the Northern to the Southern Bridge (on Vistula right bank).

View attachment 84024
On the left Vistula bank again. Here: Vistula Bike Trail. Your options are riding an asphalt bike path in the front of the Olympic Centre or take a gravel road behind the building.

View attachment 84025
Warsaw Citadel (a very small part of it visible here). The fort had been built by Russian invaders who could hold rebellious Warsaw under checkmate with their artillery.

View attachment 84026
Warsaw Old Town wall; Barbican at far right. As the left-bank Warsaw is located on a high escarpment, you need to climb from the river side. E-bike helps :)

View attachment 84027

Warsaw was razed to the ground by German Nazi in 1944. There was virtually no building left in the Old Town, perhaps with exception of this or that ruined church. The initial plan of the new government was: "Leave the sea of rubble as a memorial; move the capital city elsewhere". Yet, surviving Warsawers returned, followed by newcomers. So, whole Warsaw was to be rebuilt from scratch. What a feast for architects! They actually were given green light to do whatever they wanted, at least for the Old and New Towns. Old Town was meticulously reconstructed to the smallest detail, and actually made nicer than it had been. There were two major changes, though. Pre-war architects dreamed of demolishing the Gdańsk Building and replacing it with the 15th c. Barbican. And it was done post-war (as the Gdańsk Building was already down). Nowomiejska Street was just moved say, 10 meters to make the construction of the Barbican feasible. What you see in the picture above is not exactly how it was before 1944. Just nicer.

View attachment 84029
Warsaw Old Town Square.

View attachment 84030
Warsaw Mermaid #1 is located by the river. Mermaid #2 found her place in the center of the Old Town Square. There are more Mermaids in Warsaw. (Any of them wields a sword and a shield).

View attachment 84031
At Barss' Restaurant for hot chocolate and Coke Zero. Lockdown has put restaurants in hard position (only takeway allowed). As I rarely frequent Old Town restaurants, it was my first time at Barss', and only because the gent behind the bar was loudly inviting for hot beverages. Note: The guy named Barss first opened his restaurant in 1853.

View attachment 84032
Warsaw Royal Castle that was being reconstructed very slowly and only re-opened to the public in 1984. The second major change in the post-war reconstruction was to completely replace road system (now, there is a tunnel under the Castle Square).

View attachment 84034
The entry to Krakowskie Przedmieście, a long historical street the best covered by walking or riding. At left: The bell-tower and St. Anne church. Everything loaded with history.

View attachment 84035
I failed taking close-ups of Mermaid #3, and Mr Vistula. Poles think of Vistula as of a woman. Some ancient artist presented Vistula as a bearded, wild man :D (I hope to return here for close-ups in some near future).

View attachment 84036
Ride Map with POI.

View attachment 84037
I have noticed big cities become small, and steep hills are surprisingly flat when you travel on e-bike...
Gorgeous, I will visit one day.
Unfortunately the wife has Miami her sights this year

View attachment 84019

View attachment 84020

View attachment 84021

View attachment 84022

View attachment 84024

View attachment 84025

View attachment 84026

View attachment 84027

View attachment 84029
Warsaw Old Town Square.

View attachment 84030

View attachment 84031

View attachment 84032

View attachment 84034

View attachment 84035

View attachment 84036
Ride Map with POI.

View attachment 84037
Some day, Stefan! And, of course, you'll be our tour guide 😁!

Back