Our Rides in Words, Photos & Videos

Remembering the olden days …
Nurinda Underpass Mural : Brisbane Valley Rail Trail

Brisbane Valley Rail Trail
Nurinda Underpass

Between Harlin & Moore
How could I have missed this new mural? On the way 'up' the rail trail, I had passed through this underpass without noticing that its concrete wall had been decorated with an almost-lifesize painting of an old A16 class loco, one of twenty known as the Yanks because they had been acquired from the US in 1941 under a wartime lease arrangement.

Steam from the whistle but no smoke from the stack! Were the artists 'respecting' our modern environmental sensitivities or had they simply run out of space? 😉

And the Homage and I splashing through a creek where an old trestle bridge used to be…

Train Trivia: Does anyone know whether locomotives come in left/righthand-drive versions? Seriously!

I'd imagine that firemen – no gender neutrality back then – would have preferred to stand on the left whilst shovelling coal; therefore, drivers would be on the right, 'just right' for seeing signals without having the long boiler blocking their view… but a darned nuisance in parts of the world where trains run on the left.

Last edited by a moderator:
Today's ride in the wind (gusting to 45kmh) was just brilliant as my buddy Pete showed me a route I've been meaning to try for some time.
He's still riding analog and is a strong cyclist, and and he sold his Calgary home yesterday, I guess I'll have to visit him a lot in Vernon BC. Such a hardship... :)

I was woefully bad on taking photos, as I only took the one, and it wasn't very good.
More on that in a minute.

The Ride:

Strava March 31_2.JPG

Strava March 31_1.JPG

The ONE photo:
20210331_122028.jpg

We rode beside the grounds of the Calgary Stampede.
The Saddledome (home of the Calgary Flames ) is on the right, and in the distance are the grandstand area for the Rodeo and all the rest of the stuff like the Chuckwagon races.
I don't know if they've decided on whether or not it will be run this year.

The overall route we took was from the NW community of Silver Springs (Pete's place for a little longer), then eastwards down along the Bow River and then back to the SW along the Elbow River.
Our destination in mind is a great brewpub called Wildrose which is in an old airline hanger located on land formally owned by the Canadian Armed Forces. The area was/is referred to as Currie Barracks.
A superb pint IPA and a huge Bison burger consumed and then off towards Pete's home, with lots of wind to contend with.

All in all it was a good ride - but I'm getting tired of the wind. But to avoid the wind will mean I'll have to move away...

One of my goals was a target for today - I wanted to finish the first quarter better than 1000km.
Goal achieved - not too bad for a Canadian winter...

Q1 2021 Stats.JPG

Snow!
Its freakin 22 degrees C here in NW England, got sunburn on my face today.
That footage was shot a week ago when it was still cold enough for any residual snow and ice to stick around and studded tires were still a must have. I subsequently swapped out the studs over the weekend to prepare for the Sunday ride out to Lacombe as it began to warm up. Prior to returning home from that ride, I thought it might be fun to do a repeat run on that same trail. It certainly wasn't the outcome I expected.:oops:
IMG_20210329_1300420.jpg
Then it snowed on Monday and temps plunged to -15C overnight and froze the trails. Tomorrow will reach a high of +16C and trails will once again become mud pits. 😒

We sure could use a solid week of that same freakin hot weather on this side of the pond to turn the trails into some form of dry hard pack but, at this point, I’m almost prepared for another April snow squall. Such is the unpredictable weather Albertans have come to expect around this time of the season. 😕

IMG_20210330_175541_0_copy_945x1079.jpg

A scene from the other day. A 13 mile solitary ramble along my local gravel roads through the silent countryside. Just myself, my bike, the busy streams with places to go, rivers to meet, and rocks to tumble over, the yawning woodland undergrowth waking up and stretching their dull gray winter arms skyward to reveal a bright green underwear, just the thing to wear for the arrival of spring. The trees are also musing over what to wear this spring. Most are opting for their preferred color of green in various tones and hues. The more flamboyant trees have already started decking themselves out in this season's perennial fashion favorites of brilliant pinks, whites, lavender, and fuschia.

Only a few days ago all such color selections were still locked up in brown buds and tiny pods, just waiting for the word that Spring's catwalk had begun. My friend E and I were out hacking down the gravel roads on our winter fat steeds, ambling and chatting the full 9 miles while our horses, nonplussed by the animated human conversation gaily echoing above their relaxed ears, took a mundane approach to the entire ride by walking with their heads down, contempting how nice it was anytime we humans met another human on the road and stopped for some more animated chatting while they could relax one hind foot at the halt and take a quick snooze.

It was during the ride that E asked me about my bike ride in DC that past weekend. I turned to look back at her, and grinned. "It was ....interesting", I replied. "Were the cherry blossoms open?" she asked, knowing that had been the major headliner for the Ebike Lovers of Washington DC's Saturday and Sunday ride event. 24 to 32 miles down along the waterfront and Anacostia River to enjoy the 1st and 2nd day of spring by riding under the famous cherry trees of downtown Washington DC. "Sadly, no." I said. "Not yet. But everything else was ready for Spring. Trust me when I say it was a real adventure."

We had arrived at 9am, about an hour before the meet time at Hains Point in downtown DC, and as we unloaded my bike I was already astonished at the numbers of cyclists already zooming past us, filling the single lane of road looping the edge of the narrow point even as more cars, carrying more bikes on back racks, fell in line behind the packs of cyclists, each driver taking advantage of any open spot in the rapidly filling parking spots by slipping into an available bay. The bustle in the air all around was evident, but we were early enough for me to take time to chat with our parking neighbor who was unloading her electric bike, complete with a small doggie carry case strapped to the front fork. I decided in that moment that this was going to be an interesting ride.

"No cherry blossoms at all?" E asked, surprised. "Not a one, anywhere." I admitted as our horses strolled on. I turned to look at her again. "You would think that the start of the official Cherry Blossom Festival would have had some trees in bloom, but..." I shrugged. "It didn't seem to bother anyone. That place was jam packed with people."

By the time 10am had rolled around, all 26 ebikes had gathered together, their riders meeting and greeting in high praise of the stunningly beautiful...nay, make that absolutely perfect in every way... 2nd day of Spring and the excitement of the highly anticipated ride. So many of the club members had signed up for the Saturday ride (capped at the mandated limit of 25) that the club leader, Gregory, had opened a 2nd ride on Sunday, which had also quickly filled to maximum with a growing wait list of other members, those not quick enough (unlike me) to have made Sunday's roster. Gregory gathered all the riders together for a brief but thorough speech on the ride while handing out rider packets to all the attendees. I wish I had had the foresight to shove my packet into my panniers, or at least had looked inside to pull out and keep the ride map on me, a decision that would impact me later on. Too much excitement, too much fun meeting new ebikers, and not enough paying attention. Par for the course. I zipped over to where my car was parked, handing my packet to hubby (who had settled in to reading his Kindle for the duration of the ride), and hurried back to the group as it collectively took off into the flow of other cyclists bound for the local bike trails threading along the already busy waterfront under the branches of thousands of cherry trees.

"Not a single blossom. That's too bad." E said, sadly. "Well," I quipped, "not unless you want to count the two big blossoms painted on the massive cherry blossom banner hung down at the waterfront for the 2021 festival." I laughed. "Honestly, I don't think the crowds even noticed. The place was packed solid, bikes and pedestrians everywhere. It was a mob scene."

The kaleidoscope of colors that swirled around me was almost overwhelming. It seemed as if the entire population of the city, exhausted by being kept indoors and imprisoned to avoid the relentlessly cruel lash of the pandemic, was so eager to escape into the fresh warmth and sunshine that it had, enmass, spilled out into the streets in a delightful tsunami of colorful summer fashions and a joie de vivre that set the very air to sparkling with happiness. What colors the trees still kept hidden, the collective human population had not. I looked around, my senses drinking in the brilliant crush of effervescent humanity, all eager to be out and enjoy the day. It had been at least a decade since I had regularly visited DC, but I felt like the country girl visiting the big city at that moment for the first time. Our bikes blended into the colorful mosh pit of the teeming throngs as we dutifully cycled in close formation behind our intrepid leader down the busy pathways to the famous Fish Market where we stopped and were given a brief description of the place's significance before heading off in a conga line past many of Washington DC's famous, and sometime little known, cultural treasures. I had not been aware that DC was home to a monument to the Titanic. A surprise to me, as well as a few others of our group as we did a pause to gaze up at the beautiful granite statue while our leader gave a brief history of it.
IMG_20210321_105752_3_copy_979x1305.jpg

I was determined to check out Wikipedia on a more expanded history of the monument, but at the moment our group was off and running...or rather cycling...through the downtown city streets in pursuit of the meandering (and sometime missing) bike path that would take us upriver in a salmon run of other cyclists that were headed to our destination 12 miles away - the Anacostia Aquatic Gardens Park. I wish there had been time to stop to take photos, but maybe another time. We rolled along nonstop through beautiful parklands and along the river, pausing at a crossroads for all the riders to assemble before heading down a dirt path towards the picnic area for lunch and another expanded chance to socialize and check out our different ebikes. Lunch was the prelude to a side jaunt to the Arboretium which would add an additional 8 miles to the 24 mile loop.

"So why did you decide not to ride to the Arboretium?" E asked. I shrugged. "I figured those trees there would be wrapped up tight, still in winter mode. I didn't think there would be much to see, frankly. I was happy to head back." I glanced back at her with a grin. "And that's where it got interesting".

Gregory had given the group the opportunity to continue on with him to the Arboretium, or to head back to Hains Point. Two of the ladies in the group, who knew the way, were heading back, happy to take anyone else wishing to go back with them. I noticed they were grouping with one or two others, but turned away for a brief second to converse with one of the riders (we were going to share phone numbers) before I left. However, as I turned my head around, ready to join the few going back...they had disappeared. Gone. Left. My jaw dropped. I couldn't believe they had left that fast. Here I was in an unfamiliar area, faced with 12 twisting tortured miles of finding my way home. And no map.

I heard another rider behind me, also left behind, ask Gregory about the way back. "Just plug Hains Point into Google maps" was his confident answer. "It will show you the way back." I looked at the other rider who didn't seem anywhere near as confident as Gregory to trust Google's sometime questionable ability to map a return home safely for a bike. I glanced down at my Garmin GPS, and the two redundant GPS apps up and running on my smart phone. If I'm anything, I'm resourceful. I may have left the paper map behind, and the Garmin was no help because it was loaded with the 32 mile route, but I had something better. A GPS app that had had recorded a digital bread crumb trail. I only had to retrace my steps following my prior path to take me like the perfect guide right back to my car. No sweat.

I turned to the gathered group and announced I was heading back and if anyone wanted to follow me they were welcome to do so. The two other cyclists who wanted to go back gratefully fell in behind me as I asked a final time for anyone that wanted to head back. It was just us three, so off we went. I smiled as I watched the tiny dot on my GPS app begin tracking backwards down the red line that had been laid for the first part of the ride. All I had to do was keep the moving dot solidly on the red line, and I'd be fine. My two shadows stuck to me like glue, following me at a nice social distance without letting me out of their sight for a second.

E laughed. "Very clever," she said. I laughed as well. "Yeah, it was all well and good except when I overrode the moving dot and had to backtrack. That, and going the wrong way down the one way streets because that's where the red line took me." I shook my head in disbelief. "I'm sure the two guys with me were justifiably horrified."

In truth for the first several miles the bike path was reasonably civilized, meandering in a pristine blacktop ribbon over the undulating terrain. It was actually very nice to travel at my speed and to look around more at the sights. The path had become packed as the morning had seceded to the afternoon, but my two shadows and I easily kept up an 18mph pace. At one point an unfamiliar yet friendly voice behind me said "I really like the pace you guys are setting". I glanced over my shoulder at the young guy sitting off my wheel at a polite distance, all kitted out in bright lycra riding a very thin, twitchy stick of a very fast road bike. Two other guys in lycra followed behind him in close formation, hands down on the drops, faces tightly focused, reeking of a professionalism that only comes from long hours in the saddle riding fast with others of the same skill set on expensive road bikes. I smiled at the guy who grinned back. "You know you're following elecric bikes, right?" I asked. "Oh, yes," he replied happily. I'm guessing that not only keeping up, but actually passing a trio of ebikes, was making his day. I nodded and said that as soon as oncoming traffic on the opposite side of the path let up, I'd let him know so he and his friends could pass. He was a delightful person and we passed the next mile in easy banter until traffic opened up a window for him to pass. We exchanged goodbyes as he and his friends jumped onto their pedals and zoomed past. I hope riding pace with our ebikes made their day. I'm sure we did.

By the time the three guys in lycra had disappeared into the mass of colorful cyclists populating the trail, my red lined trail showed me we were about to reenter the city. I stopped for a quick drink of water and to check that my two shadows were doing OK. They were full of ample praise for my leadership (which was about to become their nightmare, unbeknownst to them) and repeated again and again at how grateful they were for leading them back. I apologized ahead of time for those moments when I outran my moving dot and needed to make a u-turn or two (or four) to get back on track, but they assured me it was no problem for them. The one guy said he had tried using Google maps to get back to Hains Point but Google kept trying to send him the wrong way on a lot of twisting roads. So again they were VERY grateful for me leading the way back.

One trick I learned early on in Endurance riding - when one's route through 50 miles of trail was small ribbons tied onto tree branches leading the way in otherwise trackless mountains far from the reach of humanity...as in if you miss a ribbon and get lost you could well find yourself up you-know-what's creek - that you always periodically check the landscape features of where you've been in case you need to backtrack. Landmarks seen one way often look completely different when viewed from the opposite dirrection, thus validating having a bike mirror, or glancing over your shoulder from time to time. I had noted certain landmarks along the bike path in the morning ride that were familiar features come that afternoon on the return trip.

Even with the noted landmarks, the next 6 miles was just unfamiliar enough to force me to pay closer attention to my bread crumb trail, all the while negotiating missing parts of the bike path as it went through a confusing jumble of messy city construction, riding the wrong way down one way streets and being fascinated (and quite surprised) by all the cars that dutifully, and with extreme politeness (not one horn sounded or driver yelled), yielded their side of the road to me by moving over into the adjoining lane. Moses parting the Red Sea. Or, in my case, a loony lady on an ebike. To my credit I did hug the road shoulder as much as possible, and wave a polite thank you to the motorists, all while feeling the horror of the two guys behind me.

But the moment of wrong way streets was mercifully short lived, and we arrived safely at the waterfront to be confronted by an even greater obstacle besides a very twisting red line leading home. We were now surrounded by a herd of humanity equal only to herds populating the Serengeti. There were people everywhere. All masked, all having a wonderful time in the spring weather. Couples strolling hand in hand, people in crowded outdoor restaurants with tables jammed as close to the path as possible only inches away from my handlebars, friends laughing and calling out to one another as they crisscrossed the wide pathway, cyclists, skateboarders, inline skaters, and everywhere families with kids in abundance. Toddlers and little kids on trikes were everywhere, often stopping traffic in its tracks as the little urchins gleefully and without conscious thought wandered across the path in a confusing trajectory of abstract zigs and zags headfirst, and sometimes in abrupt reverse, followed swiftly by dads who, with the accuracy of pro football players, would dart into the throng of moving and paused humanity to scoop up their giggling offspring, apologize profusely to all within hearing, and return the errant child to the safety of mom and their stroller. All this with barely an inch or so to spare for our bikes.

Going the wrong way down one way streets was a price of cake compared to the waterfront fandango.

I was multiprocessing as fast as humanly possible following my red line, the moving dot, the people, the path, my bike in crowded conditions, and every loose child in the vicinity without running anyone over staying upright, and still maintaining on course.

What a riot it was. So many people, such a grand day, and everyone so very very happy. Behind all the masks were people ready to live again. The steady rhythmic vibrant heartbeat of humanity being able to be with one another again. It was wonderful.

Despite the few course adjustments and one or two u-turns, we made it back into 100% familiar territory, and only a few moments later my bread crumb trail ended where it began. We had returned at Hains Point safe and in one piece.

E and I finished our ride, and a week later I noticed my cherry tree at home, almost overnight, had burst into bloom. I can only imagine how gorgeous the trees in DC were looking as well.

Maybe next year the trees will meet the ebike group with pink blossoms unfurled. Maybe next year I'll stop and actually get a few more photos. Maybe next year I'll even take a map with me, too.

IMG_20210321_100201_1_copy_1305x979.jpg

Three identical Vados ready for the ride. Mine is the one in the center with the pink panniers .

1616450216770_IMG_20210321_102055_8_copy_1305x979.jpg

Our fearless leader, Gregory (in the salmon colored jacket) giving the welcoming speech before a bevy of 26 masked ebikers headed off on a wonderful group ride in DC to (not) see the cherry blossoms.

More photos here:
Sunday's ride
Saturday's ride

Sidenote on the Titanic memorial

Screenshot_20210401_071043_copy_721x891.jpg

Last edited:
Remembering the olden days …
View attachment 83487
Nurinda Underpass

Between Harlin & Moore
How could I have missed this new mural? On the way 'up' the rail trail, I had passed through this underpass without noticing that its concrete wall had been decorated with an almost-lifesize painting of an old A16 class loco, one of twenty known as the Yanks because they had been acquired from the US in 1941 under a wartime lease arrangement.

Steam from the whistle but no smoke from the stack! Were the artists 'respecting' our modern environmental sensitivities or had they simply run out of space? 😉

And the Homage and I splashing through a creek where an old trestle bridge used to be…
View attachment 83491

Train Trivia: Does anyone know whether locomotives come in left/righthand-drive versions? Seriously!

I'd imagine that firemen – no gender neutrality back then – would have preferred to stand on the left whilst shovelling coal; therefore, drivers would be on the right, 'just right' for seeing signals without having the long boiler blocking their view… but a darned nuisance in parts of the world where trains run on the left.
I vote that the artist ran out of room. Or maybe it’s not finished yet? I’ve only ever seen right hand drive but I imagine different countries, different configurations are possible.
That’s a major puddle in the middle of the road in my neck of the woods. And what is the helmet/brim configuration?

Last edited:
@Readytoride I loved reading your story, I wish I could put my rides into words so exquisitely!

3 years ago on this day I had my first ever e bike ride, a day that will live long in my memory as it was truly epic! Almost 67 miles on my first ride said it all, I just didn't want it to end! I knew right there and then I had purchased the bike dreams are made of and 3 years on its still serving me well and rides like its still new! 😁

1617278693849.png

The bike looks slightly different from back then with a few changes but is essentially the same amazing bike! I added mudguards the next day so this was my only ride without mudguards! Followed by a kickstand, new wheels, saddle and saddlebag, rear rack and rack bag and flat pedals! No doubt the bike is much heavier now but you wouldn't know it when riding with 80nm of torque!

1st April 2018!

1617279024815.jpeg

1st April 2021!

1617279122569.jpeg

1617280872705.png

I would have loved to repeat that original ride today but with the restrictions in place it wasn't possible, just 35 miles in a bitterly cold ENE wind! No heatwave in these parts @Chargeride... It was still very enjoyable depsite that cold wind, lots of climbing which kept me nice and toasty! It wasn't the most scenic ride but the roads were nice and dry which is always a bonus in these parts! I hope to have many more years of enjoyment from this fantastic bike, it has really brought me so much joy!😁

Attachments

• elevation_profile267.jpg
    elevation_profile267.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 232
  • trip-64741670-map-full182.png
    trip-64741670-map-full182.png
    451.3 KB · Views: 237
  • 20210401_090809.jpg
    20210401_090809.jpg
    667.1 KB · Views: 259
  • 20210401_090837.jpg
    20210401_090837.jpg
    280.7 KB · Views: 238
  • 20210401_090841.jpg
    20210401_090841.jpg
    367.2 KB · Views: 245
  • 20210401_091237.jpg
    20210401_091237.jpg
    296.3 KB · Views: 233
  • 20210401_091240.jpg
    20210401_091240.jpg
    156.3 KB · Views: 242
  • 20210401_091244.jpg
    20210401_091244.jpg
    180.2 KB · Views: 232
  • 20210401_091306.jpg
    20210401_091306.jpg
    191.9 KB · Views: 231
  • 20210401_091343.jpg
    20210401_091343.jpg
    588.8 KB · Views: 229
Daybreak with friends …
View attachment 83317
Yimbun, Queensland
6.25 am; 7 km
Before anyone jumps to the wrong conclusion regarding my early morning friends, here are my real friends cropped from the centre of the photo before it was reduced for EBR. I've ridden with this ebike-only group a few times and they are almost accustomed to my stopping to take photos. He'll have to switch to Turbo and catch us up!

View attachment 83322

Attachments

• W7Cs0ze.jpg
    W7Cs0ze.jpg
    122 KB · Views: 271
Hi friends,
Some developments:
  1. Restored my office and gone working again.
  2. Moving to the temporary flat as of tomorrow. I will be living in a social block of flats in the North of our borough. Pleasant countryside anyway.
  3. Because it is not OK to look posh in front of my new neighbours, Lovelec will be my main ride for near future. Giant goes to Jacek, and Vado will be kept in reserve in Warsaw.
  4. Cleaning debris from my house (with a group of friends and neighbours) planned for Tuesday.
  5. First shot of Pfizer vaccine on Wednesday. I will ride up there 🙂 6.6 km from my new flat in a village familiar to me from my e-bike trips.
  6. I have promised my friend Anita (a new Como owner) as many as 14 rides together to make her addicted.
20210401_151352-01.jpeg

The block in Moszna-Parcela. The clean balcony is mine.

20210401_150320-01.jpeg

Peaceful area. See many bikes around.

20210401_151442-01.jpeg

Famous Moszna stack, never put in use. The most powerful communication aerial in Mazovia 😁

20210330_130653-01.jpeg

My former office.

20210331_215908-01.jpeg

My temporary new office.

I went to get the fat bike from the LBS after the tune-up and dropped off the Powerfly for it's tune-up. They finished in no time and found out there is a new firmware update, it was linked to optimizing charging and battery usage. Thank you Mr. Weatherman, grrrrrr, was supposed to be blue skies and sunny with 51 deg F, turned out rainy, windy 19mph, low 40s! Add a little mixture of sleet too hahahaha. Oh well, even a bad day of ebiking is better than a good of working. Ride On, EBR's...

Screenshot_20210401-185121_Strava.jpg

I went to get the fat bike from the LBS after the tune-up and dropped off the Powerfly for it's tune-up. They finished in no time and found out there is a new firmware update, it was linked to optimizing charging and battery usage. Thank you Mr. Weatherman, grrrrrr, was supposed to be blue skies and sunny with 51 deg F, turned out rainy, windy 19mph, low 40s! Add a little mixture of sleet too hahahaha. Oh well, even a bad day of ebiking is better than a good of working. Ride On, EBR's...
Any idea what the new # of tune version it is?

Hi friends,
Some developments:
  2. Moving to the temporary flat as of tomorrow. I will be living in a social block of flats in the North of our borough. Pleasant countryside anyway.
  3. Because it is not OK to look posh in front of my new neighbours, Lovelec will be my main ride for near future. Giant goes to Jacek, and Vado will be kept in reserve in Warsaw.
  4. Cleaning debris from my house (with a group of friends and neighbours) planned for Tuesday.
  5. First shot of Pfizer vaccine on Wednesday. I will ride up there 🙂 6.6 km from my new flat in a village familiar to me from my e-bike trips.
  6. I have promised my friend Anita (a new Como owner) as many as 14 rides together to make her addicted.
View attachment 83595

View attachment 83596

View attachment 83597
Famous Moszna stack, never put in use. The most powerful communication aerial in Mazovia 😁

View attachment 83598
My former office.

View attachment 83600
My temporary new office.
Positive steps, Stefan! So happy for your new beginnings 😍.

Friends,
Fire has destroyed half of my house. Tygra the cat died in flames. All my e-bikes and anything related to them have been rescued. Almost no harm to me except slightly burned palms.
Staying with a friend. Soon, getting a social flat from the Council for several months. My home will be renovated.
Don't worry, I'll be back soon!

P.S. It's so good to have good neighbours and trusted friends...
So sorry to hear this! Somehow I missed this until yesterday when you showed the picture of your burnt office. So glad you escaped with your life and limb basically unharmed. I spent years as a volunteer for our local fire department and most houses or apartment fires I saw were total losses and often folks died from smoke inhalation. Fires are so traumatic and their effects can be felt for a very long time. Best of luck as you recover and work to get back into your house!

1617366446851.png

@Stefan Mikes It was good to read about your latest developments Stefan, good luck with your shot on Wednesday and all the best getting your life back to some normality! I look forward to your future rides and your fantastic stories and pictures of your wonderful country!

Back to Winter today but it was a beautiful morning with light winds for a change so perfect for a ride! I had to look out my heated gloves again but the sun melted the frost very quickly and it turned out lovely! Just a local run today on the quiet back roads, most of the roads were lovely and dry but there was quite a bit of flooding around after our recent weather! My bike was filthy when I got back, now its looking like new again! ;)

This was the scene when I set off!

1617365107629.jpeg

An hour or so later it was a little different!

1617365182379.jpeg

It warmed up nicely in the Spring sun and I was soon able to remove the heated gloves! I can't wait for the warmer weather and hopefully longer rides if dads health improves, thankfully our lockdown restrictions will be lifted in 3 weeks time! We are a long way from normality but there is finally light at the end of this long tunnel...

Attachments

• elevation_profile268.jpg
    elevation_profile268.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 193
  • trip-64789093-map-full183.png
    trip-64789093-map-full183.png
    356.2 KB · Views: 213
  • 20210402_091851.jpg
    20210402_091851.jpg
    472.3 KB · Views: 214
  • 20210402_093450.jpg
    20210402_093450.jpg
    278 KB · Views: 222
  • 20210402_093453.jpg
    20210402_093453.jpg
    196.1 KB · Views: 221
  • 20210402_093509.jpg
    20210402_093509.jpg
    643.5 KB · Views: 244
  • 20210402_093630.jpg
    20210402_093630.jpg
    540.9 KB · Views: 211
  • 20210402_095218.jpg
    20210402_095218.jpg
    727.7 KB · Views: 219
  • 20210402_095234.jpg
    20210402_095234.jpg
    262.2 KB · Views: 215
  • 20210402_095238.jpg
    20210402_095238.jpg
    248.7 KB · Views: 213
  • 20210402_095245.jpg
    20210402_095245.jpg
    326.8 KB · Views: 214
  • 20210402_095314.jpg
    20210402_095314.jpg
    726.9 KB · Views: 208
  • 20210402_102043.jpg
    20210402_102043.jpg
    263.2 KB · Views: 220
  • 20210402_102053.jpg
    20210402_102053.jpg
    219.5 KB · Views: 204
Yesterday was another windy ride in Calgary.
I had to pick up some new accessories at a LBS and so I headed off with high hopes for a calmer day.
Nope...

Strava_April1_1_Phone.JPG
Strava_April1_2.JPG

The wind was fluctuating from both West and SW, but it seems like it was tracking me and staying as a headwind for a lot of the ride.
On a couple of northerly pedestrian/bike overpasses, I had to be really careful to not be blown into the railings.

Wind.JPG

The ride was clockwise from home in Huntington Hills and the last 6 kms across Nose Hill Park (Eastwards) towards home, involved very little pedaling, even on the short uphill sections.

One stop along the way was at LBS (X marks the spot) where I picked up the new stuff. Here's a pic of me with the new lid (great ventilation).
The scowl is unwarranted as I was having fun - maybe it was because I was stopped, or maybe because I forgot my lip balm and sunscreen.

20210401_140900 (2).jpg

Snow is almost all gone other than some north facing slopes and as such, I will likely go play on the hill again this weekend.

20210401_135605.jpg 20210401_135617.jpg 20210401_140848.jpg 20210401_144043.jpg 20210401_144047.jpg

This shot shows the Bow river surf - it was really gusting again.

20210401_135631.jpg

Audiobook: (had to rewind many times as I couldn't always hear due to the wind):
Continue to enjoy Peter May's "Extraordinary People" .

That's been a week of mostly pavement on the Johnny Watts, so time to get back onto the singletrack trails of Nose Hill.
The walking paths will be crowded on this long weekend, so I'll need to go where the walkers avoid. It's still too early to head out to the Rockies.

Happy Easter weekend everyone - (in a secular way if you wish).
Make sure you find all the eggs...you don't need those surprises in the heat of the summer!

Hi friends,
Some developments:
View attachment 83595

View attachment 83596

View attachment 83597

View attachment 83598
My former office.

View attachment 83600
My temporary new office.
With all respect Stefan, I think a new nickname for you is in order - PHOENIX!

As for offices - here was my temporary "office" in Puebla Mexico in summer 2017.
I accompanied my wife there for a month (it was not a vacation) and had to work a few hours a few days a week due to some complex projects I was managing.
VPN and VOIP - you couldn't tell where in the world I was.

Office_Puebla.jpg

View attachment 83518
A scene from the other day. A 13 mile solitary ramble along my local gravel roads through the silent countryside. Just myself, my bike, the busy streams with places to go, rivers to meet, and rocks to tumble over, the yawning woodland undergrowth waking up and stretching their dull gray winter arms skyward to reveal a bright green underwear, just the thing to wear for the arrival of spring. The trees are also musing over what to wear this spring. Most are opting for their preferred color of green in various tones and hues. The more flamboyant trees have already started decking themselves out in this season's perennial fashion favorites of brilliant pinks, whites, lavender, and fuschia.

Only a few days ago all such color selections were still locked up in brown buds and tiny pods, just waiting for the word that Spring's catwalk had begun. My friend E and I were out hacking down the gravel roads on our winter fat steeds, ambling and chatting the full 9 miles while our horses, nonplussed by the animated human conversation gaily echoing above their relaxed ears, took a mundane approach to the entire ride by walking with their heads down, contempting how nice it was anytime we humans met another human on the road and stopped for some more animated chatting while they could relax one hind foot at the halt and take a quick snooze.

It was during the ride that E asked me about my bike ride in DC that past weekend. I turned to look back at her, and grinned. "It was ....interesting", I replied. "Were the cherry blossoms open?" she asked, knowing that had been the major headliner for the Ebike Lovers of Washington DC's Saturday and Sunday ride event. 24 to 32 miles down along the waterfront and Anacostia River to enjoy the 1st and 2nd day of spring by riding under the famous cherry trees of downtown Washington DC. "Sadly, no." I said. "Not yet. But everything else was ready for Spring. Trust me when I say it was a real adventure."

We had arrived at 9am, about an hour before the meet time at Hains Point in downtown DC, and as we unloaded my bike I was already astonished at the numbers of cyclists already zooming past us, filling the single lane of road looping the edge of the narrow point even as more cars, carrying more bikes on back racks, fell in line behind the packs of cyclists, each driver taking advantage of any open spot in the rapidly filling parking spots by slipping into an available bay. The bustle in the air all around was evident, but we were early enough for me to take time to chat with our parking neighbor who was unloading her electric bike, complete with a small doggie carry case strapped to the front fork. I decided in that moment that this was going to be an interesting ride.

"No cherry blossoms at all?" E asked, surprised. "Not a one, anywhere." I admitted as our horses strolled on. I turned to look at her again. "You would think that the start of the official Cherry Blossom Festival would have had some trees in bloom, but..." I shrugged. "It didn't seem to bother anyone. That place was jam packed with people."

By the time 10am had rolled around, all 26 ebikes had gathered together, their riders meeting and greeting in high praise of the stunningly beautiful...nay, make that absolutely perfect in every way... 2nd day of Spring and the excitement of the highly anticipated ride. So many of the club members had signed up for the Saturday ride (capped at the mandated limit of 25) that the club leader, Gregory, had opened a 2nd ride on Sunday, which had also quickly filled to maximum with a growing wait list of other members, those not quick enough (unlike me) to have made Sunday's roster. Gregory gathered all the riders together for a brief but thorough speech on the ride while handing out rider packets to all the attendees. I wish I had had the foresight to shove my packet into my panniers, or at least had looked inside to pull out and keep the ride map on me, a decision that would impact me later on. Too much excitement, too much fun meeting new ebikers, and not enough paying attention. Par for the course. I zipped over to where my car was parked, handing my packet to hubby (who had settled in to reading his Kindle for the duration of the ride), and hurried back to the group as it collectively took off into the flow of other cyclists bound for the local bike trails threading along the already busy waterfront under the branches of thousands of cherry trees.

"Not a single blossom. That's too bad." E said, sadly. "Well," I quipped, "not unless you want to count the two big blossoms painted on the massive cherry blossom banner hung down at the waterfront for the 2021 festival." I laughed. "Honestly, I don't think the crowds even noticed. The place was packed solid, bikes and pedestrians everywhere. It was a mob scene."

The kaleidoscope of colors that swirled around me was almost overwhelming. It seemed as if the entire population of the city, exhausted by being kept indoors and imprisoned to avoid the relentlessly cruel lash of the pandemic, was so eager to escape into the fresh warmth and sunshine that it had, enmass, spilled out into the streets in a delightful tsunami of colorful summer fashions and a joie de vivre that set the very air to sparkling with happiness. What colors the trees still kept hidden, the collective human population had not. I looked around, my senses drinking in the brilliant crush of effervescent humanity, all eager to be out and enjoy the day. It had been at least a decade since I had regularly visited DC, but I felt like the country girl visiting the big city at that moment for the first time. Our bikes blended into the colorful mosh pit of the teeming throngs as we dutifully cycled in close formation behind our intrepid leader down the busy pathways to the famous Fish Market where we stopped and were given a brief description of the place's significance before heading off in a conga line past many of Washington DC's famous, and sometime little known, cultural treasures. I had not been aware that DC was home to a monument to the Titanic. A surprise to me, as well as a few others of our group as we did a pause to gaze up at the beautiful granite statue while our leader gave a brief history of it.
View attachment 83519
I was determined to check out Wikipedia on a more expanded history of the monument, but at the moment our group was off and running...or rather cycling...through the downtown city streets in pursuit of the meandering (and sometime missing) bike path that would take us upriver in a salmon run of other cyclists that were headed to our destination 12 miles away - the Anacostia Aquatic Gardens Park. I wish there had been time to stop to take photos, but maybe another time. We rolled along nonstop through beautiful parklands and along the river, pausing at a crossroads for all the riders to assemble before heading down a dirt path towards the picnic area for lunch and another expanded chance to socialize and check out our different ebikes. Lunch was the prelude to a side jaunt to the Arboretium which would add an additional 8 miles to the 24 mile loop.

"So why did you decide not to ride to the Arboretium?" E asked. I shrugged. "I figured those trees there would be wrapped up tight, still in winter mode. I didn't think there would be much to see, frankly. I was happy to head back." I glanced back at her with a grin. "And that's where it got interesting".

Gregory had given the group the opportunity to continue on with him to the Arboretium, or to head back to Hains Point. Two of the ladies in the group, who knew the way, were heading back, happy to take anyone else wishing to go back with them. I noticed they were grouping with one or two others, but turned away for a brief second to converse with one of the riders (we were going to share phone numbers) before I left. However, as I turned my head around, ready to join the few going back...they had disappeared. Gone. Left. My jaw dropped. I couldn't believe they had left that fast. Here I was in an unfamiliar area, faced with 12 twisting tortured miles of finding my way home. And no map.

I heard another rider behind me, also left behind, ask Gregory about the way back. "Just plug Hains Point into Google maps" was his confident answer. "It will show you the way back." I looked at the other rider who didn't seem anywhere near as confident as Gregory to trust Google's sometime questionable ability to map a return home safely for a bike. I glanced down at my Garmin GPS, and the two redundant GPS apps up and running on my smart phone. If I'm anything, I'm resourceful. I may have left the paper map behind, and the Garmin was no help because it was loaded with the 32 mile route, but I had something better. A GPS app that had had recorded a digital bread crumb trail. I only had to retrace my steps following my prior path to take me like the perfect guide right back to my car. No sweat.

I turned to the gathered group and announced I was heading back and if anyone wanted to follow me they were welcome to do so. The two other cyclists who wanted to go back gratefully fell in behind me as I asked a final time for anyone that wanted to head back. It was just us three, so off we went. I smiled as I watched the tiny dot on my GPS app begin tracking backwards down the red line that had been laid for the first part of the ride. All I had to do was keep the moving dot solidly on the red line, and I'd be fine. My two shadows stuck to me like glue, following me at a nice social distance without letting me out of their sight for a second.

E laughed. "Very clever," she said. I laughed as well. "Yeah, it was all well and good except when I overrode the moving dot and had to backtrack. That, and going the wrong way down the one way streets because that's where the red line took me." I shook my head in disbelief. "I'm sure the two guys with me were justifiably horrified."

In truth for the first several miles the bike path was reasonably civilized, meandering in a pristine blacktop ribbon over the undulating terrain. It was actually very nice to travel at my speed and to look around more at the sights. The path had become packed as the morning had seceded to the afternoon, but my two shadows and I easily kept up an 18mph pace. At one point an unfamiliar yet friendly voice behind me said "I really like the pace you guys are setting". I glanced over my shoulder at the young guy sitting off my wheel at a polite distance, all kitted out in bright lycra riding a very thin, twitchy stick of a very fast road bike. Two other guys in lycra followed behind him in close formation, hands down on the drops, faces tightly focused, reeking of a professionalism that only comes from long hours in the saddle riding fast with others of the same skill set on expensive road bikes. I smiled at the guy who grinned back. "You know you're following elecric bikes, right?" I asked. "Oh, yes," he replied happily. I'm guessing that not only keeping up, but actually passing a trio of ebikes, was making his day. I nodded and said that as soon as oncoming traffic on the opposite side of the path let up, I'd let him know so he and his friends could pass. He was a delightful person and we passed the next mile in easy banter until traffic opened up a window for him to pass. We exchanged goodbyes as he and his friends jumped onto their pedals and zoomed past. I hope riding pace with our ebikes made their day. I'm sure we did.

By the time the three guys in lycra had disappeared into the mass of colorful cyclists populating the trail, my red lined trail showed me we were about to reenter the city. I stopped for a quick drink of water and to check that my two shadows were doing OK. They were full of ample praise for my leadership (which was about to become their nightmare, unbeknownst to them) and repeated again and again at how grateful they were for leading them back. I apologized ahead of time for those moments when I outran my moving dot and needed to make a u-turn or two (or four) to get back on track, but they assured me it was no problem for them. The one guy said he had tried using Google maps to get back to Hains Point but Google kept trying to send him the wrong way on a lot of twisting roads. So again they were VERY grateful for me leading the way back.

One trick I learned early on in Endurance riding - when one's route through 50 miles of trail was small ribbons tied onto tree branches leading the way in otherwise trackless mountains far from the reach of humanity...as in if you miss a ribbon and get lost you could well find yourself up you-know-what's creek - that you always periodically check the landscape features of where you've been in case you need to backtrack. Landmarks seen one way often look completely different when viewed from the opposite dirrection, thus validating having a bike mirror, or glancing over your shoulder from time to time. I had noted certain landmarks along the bike path in the morning ride that were familiar features come that afternoon on the return trip.

Even with the noted landmarks, the next 6 miles was just unfamiliar enough to force me to pay closer attention to my bread crumb trail, all the while negotiating missing parts of the bike path as it went through a confusing jumble of messy city construction, riding the wrong way down one way streets and being fascinated (and quite surprised) by all the cars that dutifully, and with extreme politeness (not one horn sounded or driver yelled), yielded their side of the road to me by moving over into the adjoining lane. Moses parting the Red Sea. Or, in my case, a loony lady on an ebike. To my credit I did hug the road shoulder as much as possible, and wave a polite thank you to the motorists, all while feeling the horror of the two guys behind me.

But the moment of wrong way streets was mercifully short lived, and we arrived safely at the waterfront to be confronted by an even greater obstacle besides a very twisting red line leading home. We were now surrounded by a herd of humanity equal only to herds populating the Serengeti. There were people everywhere. All masked, all having a wonderful time in the spring weather. Couples strolling hand in hand, people in crowded outdoor restaurants with tables jammed as close to the path as possible only inches away from my handlebars, friends laughing and calling out to one another as they crisscrossed the wide pathway, cyclists, skateboarders, inline skaters, and everywhere families with kids in abundance. Toddlers and little kids on trikes were everywhere, often stopping traffic in its tracks as the little urchins gleefully and without conscious thought wandered across the path in a confusing trajectory of abstract zigs and zags headfirst, and sometimes in abrupt reverse, followed swiftly by dads who, with the accuracy of pro football players, would dart into the throng of moving and paused humanity to scoop up their giggling offspring, apologize profusely to all within hearing, and return the errant child to the safety of mom and their stroller. All this with barely an inch or so to spare for our bikes.

Going the wrong way down one way streets was a price of cake compared to the waterfront fandango.

I was multiprocessing as fast as humanly possible following my red line, the moving dot, the people, the path, my bike in crowded conditions, and every loose child in the vicinity without running anyone over staying upright, and still maintaining on course.

What a riot it was. So many people, such a grand day, and everyone so very very happy. Behind all the masks were people ready to live again. The steady rhythmic vibrant heartbeat of humanity being able to be with one another again. It was wonderful.

Despite the few course adjustments and one or two u-turns, we made it back into 100% familiar territory, and only a few moments later my bread crumb trail ended where it began. We had returned at Hains Point safe and in one piece.

E and I finished our ride, and a week later I noticed my cherry tree at home, almost overnight, had burst into bloom. I can only imagine how gorgeous the trees in DC were looking as well.

Maybe next year the trees will meet the ebike group with pink blossoms unfurled. Maybe next year I'll stop and actually get a few more photos. Maybe next year I'll even take a map with me, too.

View attachment 83529
Three identical Vados ready for the ride. Mine is the one in the center with the pink panniers .

View attachment 83530
Our fearless leader, Gregory (in the salmon colored jacket) giving the welcoming speech before a bevy of 26 masked ebikers headed off on a wonderful group ride in DC to (not) see the cherry blossoms.

More photos here:
Sunday's ride
Saturday's ride

Sidenote on the Titanic memorial

View attachment 83531
What a coincidence, that I was refilming my titanic town video this week with the new camera.
Looks sooo much better and I used a zoom camera to get the plaques, even Im not that cheeky to walk up someones path

Ride with the wife so she could visit an open air Mass today, Ive filmed this before, but this is the new fast edit under 2 mins style.
Peacocks, abandoned stolen dirtbike after a police chase, found a few new paths, got chased by dogs, jeans got sucked into the chain..which is a first, but always an obvious worry with it being so exposed and connected to such a powerful motor.
Theres quite an atmosphere of a new beginning, you can feel the buzz as people stand in the street catching up on a year of madness.
The pubs are building outdoor drinking areas, shops have workmen in ready to open up.
I just wish theyd reel in this ridiculous them and us with mainland Europe, it really is not the way we need to go.
The goddam UK press are the stirring up divisions that arent there.
Anyway..only 1.40 long.

Hi friends,
Some developments:
View attachment 83595

View attachment 83596

View attachment 83597

View attachment 83598
My former office.

View attachment 83600
My temporary new office.

Starting anew Stefan. Hope all goes well.
Rest in peace, Tygra. I see a kitty in the above picture, maybe give a kitty greeting to that one.

Back