Our Rides in Words, Photos & Videos

Good morning!

Let me go off-topic for a while. I've just bought and started reading a newly released book of Bernard Newman "Pedalling Poland", a 1934 3000-km ride report of a British who travelled over pre-WW2 Poland on a regular bike. A report from a country that doesn't exist anymore:

Bernard Newman "Pedalling Poland" on Amazon

Only recent Polish softcover release made me aware of the book.

The English editorial note reads:
In 1934 Bernard Newman set off on a journey into the heart of Poland. Riding a bicycle named George, carrying less than £20 in cash, and with only a potato knife for protection, he travelled over three thousand kilometres, writing on and photographing the nation and its people. Propelled by his trademark charm and gregariousness, Newman found himself in the company of workers, aristocrats, rampaging bison and travelling trapeze artists as he complied this enthralling account of his experiences in pre-WW2 Poland.
Pedalling Poland is a charming and incisive look at the culture and politics of a great nation at a critical moment in its history. From Gdynia to Krakow, Newman collected innumerable anecdotes, reflections, images and interviews, all of which are reported here with wit and eloquence. A series of snapshots from another time, this is a treat for world travellers, cyclists and history buffs alike.

The Polish editorial chapter explains Newman wanted to make Poland better known to British readers; hence a lot of information in the book is anecdotal (the author was copiously quoting Poles and members of minorities met on his trip). Still, excellent read!

Chapter III: "I have to find more German European city than Danzig yet". How true! Just think of what disaster Nazism and WWII did not only to the challenged countries but to Germany, too. Instead of conquering more land, they lost a great part of their iwn country, Danzig, Breslau, and Stettin included... (We Poles lost not only lives but our former East, too).

1616565269475.png

"By Bike over the Second Republic of Poland", or the Polish edition, released as of yesterday.

Last edited:
Picnic shelter by in the river …

Bremer River, Ipswich

Bremer River, Ipswich
With the rain clouds safely out to sea, it seemed safe to venture out. Our local river, the Bremer, is usually just a little too wide to jump across but was still swollen when I pedalled down that way this afternoon.

By tomorrow all should be back to normal, as if the rains had never happened. Well, the grass will remain green for a month of two.

Last edited by a moderator:
1616603925825.png

I had hoped to get out yesterday but my dad had a bad day so it wasn't to be, thankfully he was better today so I chanced the strong winds and heavy rain showers and lucked out! I had to do a lot of weather avoidance, I only got caught in 2 showers, I didn't even get wet so luck was with me today! 40mph gusts at times but I managed to avoid the dangerous crosswinds mostly! No photos today, it wasn't the day for it!

Attachments

• elevation_profile264.jpg
    elevation_profile264.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 165
  • trip-64318580-map-full179.png
    trip-64318580-map-full179.png
    426.4 KB · Views: 182
Good morning!

Let me go off-topic for a while. I've just bought and started reading a newly released book of Bernard Newman "Pedalling Poland", a 1934 3000-km ride report of a British who travelled over pre-WW2 Poland on a regular bike. A report from a country that doesn't exist anymore:

Bernard Newman "Pedalling Poland" on Amazon

Only recent Polish softcover release made me aware of the book.

The English editorial note reads:
In 1934 Bernard Newman set off on a journey into the heart of Poland. Riding a bicycle named George, carrying less than £20 in cash, and with only a potato knife for protection, he travelled over three thousand kilometres, writing on and photographing the nation and its people. Propelled by his trademark charm and gregariousness, Newman found himself in the company of workers, aristocrats, rampaging bison and travelling trapeze artists as he complied this enthralling account of his experiences in pre-WW2 Poland.
Pedalling Poland is a charming and incisive look at the culture and politics of a great nation at a critical moment in its history. From Gdynia to Krakow, Newman collected innumerable anecdotes, reflections, images and interviews, all of which are reported here with wit and eloquence. A series of snapshots from another time, this is a treat for world travellers, cyclists and history buffs alike.

The Polish editorial chapter explains Newman wanted to make Poland better known to British readers; hence a lot of information in the book is anecdotal (the author was copiously quoting Poles and members of minorities met on his trip). Still, excellent read!

Chapter III: "I have to find more German European city than Danzig yet". How true! Just think of what disaster Nazism and WWII did not only to the challenged countries but to Germany, too. Instead of conquering more land, they lost a great part of their iwn country, Danzig, Breslau, and Stettin included... (We Poles lost not only lives but our former East, too).

View attachment 82627
"By Bike over the Second Republic of Poland", or the Polish edition, released as of yesterday.
A potato knife.....back off or I'll peel you to death

1616678495106.png

I was lucky enough to get out again today, the winds weren't as bad as yesterday thankfully! Still rain showers around which I managed to avoid until a few miles from home, not enough to soak me though so I got lucky once again! The next 5 days aren't looking very promising at all so it looks like my next ride will be the last day of the month! March is normally a good month for me but I'm way behind this year with only 353miles, mainly due to shorter rides but I'm happy to be getting out as much as I can!

I used my local cycle path today (to avoid roadworks) which used to be the old railway line back in the day, they built a new electric line in recent years which runs alongside the cycle path! Thankfully there weren't many walkers with dogs which was a nice bonus, I came across a young Clydesdale horse which was too busy eating to pay attention to me! 🤣

1616678700349.jpeg

I also met this train which was travelling at a snails pace, no idea why but it was a nice photo opportunity!

1616678799076.jpeg

Most of the path is in really good condition with new tarmac, it really was fun to use it for a change but I won't be making a habit of it as my heart lies on the open road!;)

1616679310888.jpeg

Attachments

• 20210325_092954.jpg
    20210325_092954.jpg
    623.3 KB · Views: 185
  • 20210325_093001.jpg
    20210325_093001.jpg
    727 KB · Views: 189
  • 20210325_093020.jpg
    20210325_093020.jpg
    528.9 KB · Views: 178
  • 20210325_095227.jpg
    20210325_095227.jpg
    376.4 KB · Views: 212
  • 20210325_095244.jpg
    20210325_095244.jpg
    599.5 KB · Views: 175
  • 20210325_100229.jpg
    20210325_100229.jpg
    711.6 KB · Views: 192
  • 20210325_100236.jpg
    20210325_100236.jpg
    410.7 KB · Views: 186
  • 20210325_100321.jpg
    20210325_100321.jpg
    401.1 KB · Views: 173
  • 20210325_102159.jpg
    20210325_102159.jpg
    663.9 KB · Views: 194
  • 20210325_103331.jpg
    20210325_103331.jpg
    592.9 KB · Views: 188
  • 20210325_105444.jpg
    20210325_105444.jpg
    693.8 KB · Views: 184
  • elevation_profile265.jpg
    elevation_profile265.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 166
  • trip-64364926-map-full180.png
    trip-64364926-map-full180.png
    411.5 KB · Views: 186
Rode into Liverpool again and took some footage of the parks and the two football stadiums, then onto the hill that overlooks the city, its a pretty rough part now but you get glimpses of its historical splendour.
Ive never actually been there before, its a lot more cosmopolitan than where I live, immigrants from around the world.
If you ignore the new houses and join the dots, you can imagine was a fantastic sight it must have been, with terraced gardens descending towards the port full of hundreds of big mast ships.
As you can guess, made a vid, would have been longer but started getting buzzed by dodgy types on surons.

Rode into Liverpool again and took some footage of the parks and the two football stadiums, then onto the hill that overlooks the city, its a pretty rough part now but you get glimpses of its historical splendour.
Ive never actually been there before, its a lot more cosmopolitan than where I live, immigrants from around the world.
If you ignore the new houses and join the dots, you can imagine was a fantastic sight it must have been, with terraced gardens descending towards the port full of hundreds of big mast ships.
As you can guess, made a vid, would have been longer but started getting buzzed by dodgy types on surons.
There's only one football stadium and its Red. YNWA 😂

I keep meaning to buy a proper drone, then the missus asks me to film her for her running club as a promo, featuring her of course.
So I went around the forest, bleedin one handed on the fatbike, holding the camera up as high as I could.
Strangely it came out very well, used the throttle for stability and only crashed three times.
I must point out the gopro is doing 95% of the work.
So...might give you some ideas on your mobile camera rig, you call an ebike.

I keep meaning to buy a proper drone, then the missus asks me to film her for her running club as a promo, featuring her of course.
So I went around the forest, bleedin one handed on the fatbike, holding the camera up as high as I could.
Strangely it came out very well, used the throttle for stability and only crashed three times.
I must point out the gopro is doing 95% of the work.
So...might give you some ideas on your mobile camera rig, you call an ebike.

Just lovely, Chargeride!!!

Normal service has been restored …

Moreton Bay Cycleway, Redcliffe Peninsula

Moreton Bay Cycleway
Redcliffe Peninsula
Moreton Island, one of the world's largest sand islands, is beyond the sparkling waters of Moreton Bay, and beyond the man demonstrating how to use a throttle-controlled ebike is the Coral Sea (Pacific Ocean).

Don't expect to see too many more photos without the usual clouds over the Pacific (except for the others taken on this ride!).

Historical Trivia: In 1770 James Cook, not realising that he was sailing past a large bay, named an outcrop Cape Morton. A clerical error changed the spelling to 'Moreton' which then became the name for the island, the bay and even a penal settlement originally located at Red Cliff (later 'Redcliffe').

Normal service has been restored …

View attachment 82802
Moreton Bay Cycleway
Redcliffe Peninsula
Moreton Island, one of the world's largest sand islands, is beyond the sparkling waters of Moreton Bay, and beyond the man demonstrating how to use a throttle-controlled ebike is the Coral Sea (Pacific Ocean).

Don't expect to see too many more photos without the usual clouds over the Pacific (except for the others taken on this ride!).

Historical Trivia: In 1770 James Cook, not realising that he was sailing past a large bay, named an outcrop Cape Morton. A clerical error changed the spelling to 'Moreton' which then became the name for the island, the bay and even a penal settlement originally located at Red Cliff (later 'Redcliffe').
More Cook Trivia - He also sailed right by the Strait of Juan de Fuca that runs between Vancouver Island and the Olympic Peninsula in Washington state. He missed "finding" the entire inside passage. He stopped in Nootka Sound about halfway up the west coast of Vancouver Island on his way to the Southern Alaskan coast.

Nevertheless he was an exemplary mariner, coming up from humble collier beginnings to become the preeminent mariner of his time, despite his total lack of social connections. He charted the waters of the northwest Atlantic during the American Revolution and despite the fact that he was sailing a Royal Navy ship he was left in peace with free passage, by the Revolutionary Navy, to continue his chart making. His charts were still in use in New Zealand well into the 20th century. cook's death at the hand of the Sandwich Islanders (Hawaiians) was a tragic example of intercultural misunderstandings and colonial hubris. Allan Villiers biography of Cook is a great read.

Historically under appreciated was William Bligh, selected by Cook as his Sailing Master on board the Resolution for his third voyage of exploration. Bligh, made infamous in the film Mutiny on the Bounty sailed 4000 across the Pacific after the mutiny, in an open boat with 8 men, all of whom survived. This continues to be one of the greatest feats of navigation, leadership and survival and the annals of nautical history. Bligh had few patrons and no upper crust connections. Joseph Banks made his task near impossible, carrying thirsty breadfruit plants from the Pacific Islands to the Caribbean to grow cheap food supply for sugar plantation slaves, forcing him to favor the plants over his crew in water rationing, triggering the famous mutiny. A decade after his return to England he was appointed Governor of New South Whales, Australia.

Cook and to a lesser extent, Bligh were some of my childhood heros.

Last edited:
More Cook aTrivia - He also sailed right by the Strait of Juan de Fuca that runs between Vancouver Island and the Olympic Peninsula in Washington state. He missed "finding" the entire inside passage. He stopped in Nootka Sound about halfway up the west coast of Vancouver Island on his way to the Southern Alaskan coast.

Nevertheless he was an exemplary mariner, coming up from humble collier beginnings to become the preeminent mariner of his time, despite his total lack of social connections. He charted the waters of the northwest Atlantic during the American Revolution and despite the fact that he was sailing a Royal Navy ship he was left in peace with free passage, by the Revolutionary Navy, to continue his chart making. His charts were still in use in New Zealand well into the 20th century. cook's death at the hand of the Sandwich Islanders (Hawaiians) was a tragic example of intercultural misunderstandings and colonial hubris. Allan Villiers biography of Cook is a great read.

Historically under appreciated was William Bligh, selected by Cook as his Sailing Master on board the Resolution for his third voyage of exploration. Bligh, made infamous in the film Mutiny on the Bounty sailed 4000 across the Pacific after the mutiny, in an open boat with 8 men, all of whom survived. This continues to be one of the greatest feats of navigation, leadership and survival and the annals of nautical history. Bligh had few patrons and no upper crust connections. Joseph Banks made his task near impossible, carrying thirsty breadfruit plants from the Pacific Islands to the Caribbean to grow cheap food supply for sugar plantation slaves, forcing him to favor the plants over his crew in water rationing, triggering the famous mutiny. A decade after his return to England he was appointed Governor of New South Whales, Australia.

Cook and to a lesser extent, Bligh were some of my childhood heros.
The reason the water passage at the north end of the island is named "Deception Pass" is because Cook was "deceived", thinking the tidal flow was the mouth of a river 😉 .

The reason the water passage at the north end of the island is named "Deception Pass" is because Cook was "deceived", thinking the tidal flow was the mouth of a river 😉 .
Actually that must have been either George Vancouver or Peter Puget.

Cook passed right by the 20 mile wide entrance to the Straits of Juan De Fuca, probably on one of the many foggy days that occur out there. He never entered the 59 mile long strait where Deception Pass is at the extreme eastern shore of the strait and missed our glorious inside passage completely, leaving it for some other white guy to "discover"...as if it was not already not only discovered but also populated by first nations people.

Last edited:
Back