Our Rides in Words, Photos & Videos

No pictures but did a 12 mike ride. Heat index was a 101 Fahrenheit. I cranked it up to turbo a lot of the way just so I didn’t overheat. Averaged 16.3 mph which is about 3 mph faster than normal. Looks like the heat will stay around a few days.

Today’s ride was a wash literally as we were under prolonged rainfall for the entire day. We spent part of the it checking out the LBS. It doesn’t look too promising tomorrow either so we may push off home earlier than planned.

IMG_20220613_1208415.jpg

Radical drivetrain setup on this Forbidden Druid.

IMG_20220613_1253150.jpg

A couple of small item purchases from Black Dog Bikes in Kimberley.

IMG_20220613_1652077.jpg

Some kickass coffee. Available almost everywhere but no doubt had to support a local business.

IMG_20220613_1652323.jpg

Today’s ride was a wash literally as we were under prolonged rainfall for the entire day. We spent part of the it checking out the LBS. It doesn’t look too promising tomorrow either so we may push off home earlier than planned.

View attachment 125938

View attachment 125940

View attachment 125941

Some kickass coffee. Available almost everywhere but no doubt had to support a local business.

View attachment 125942
Love Kicking Horse - we are devout Grizzly Claw fans.

Not sure I'd need the solar aspect.
I know who needs that: The ultramarathon gravel cyclists. The time limit for 220 km is 40 hours, and it is 64 hours for the 550 km race. Even if a competitor takes an overnight stay, it is not easy to get an access to a power socket. Several friends of mine taking part in the 220 km race complained on the inadequate battery charge on their Garmins and Wahoos.

Next time I'm going touch screen as well.
I cannot understand you Dave. The bike vibration on the ride makes it hard to hit the right spot on a small display. Are you not happy with your button operated 530? And mark my word: wait until the Wahoo ELEMNT Roam v2 is released. (You can thank me later) :D

Gravel all the way

The 4th annual Gravel Grinder ride was yesterday. I signed up for the 40 mile division. Ended up doing a half century instead. Not planned, but what can I say?

Well, I'll be honest. The ride site, originally 8 miles away, was moved this year a lot closer to my place. 4.5 miles away to be exact. Loading the bike for car ride there would have been the height of rediculous. The fact that the first loop of all three - the 40, 60, and 80 mile - divisions went right past my driveway after leaving the 1st rest stop 1 mile up the road, and the next loop circled within 1.5 miles from my driveway enroute to aid station #2, and the 3rd aid station was the same as #1 which was (as stated above) 1 mile from my farm, made it "falling over easy" to just swing home to swap the battery at any of the 3 points along the route if I chose. Sweet! It was me and the Specialized Vado (my "Pavement Princess") doing the ride since my new Gazelle C380+ was still on order.

Covid precautions, et al, for the 800 cyclists (200 more riders than last year as this has become a pretty popular annual ride in just 4 years) had each of us picking a time when we could hit the course. Being in the 40 mile division meant being later in the morning for the start which suited me just fine. The 80 and 60s were going out at 7am through 9am. The earliest group enjoyed the appearance of our local huntsman on his Revel with 2 couple of foxhounds (translated: 4 dogs) to enjoy a symbolic start down the gravel roads of what is known nationwide as "Hunt Country USA". Wish I'd been there to see that!!
Screenshot_20220614_071902_copy_600x790.jpg

Bruce Buckley Photography

I had signed up for the group doing the 10:15-10:30 time slot among 20 slots reserved for the 40, which meant that I needed to be on my bike and heading down my driveway by at least by 9:15 to comfortably be at the ride with plenty of time before the start of my division to socialize in between.

20220612_100247_copy_600x800.jpg

Being very "match matchy" color-wise with my bike which received delighted comments from quite a few who noticed. Matching horse/rider tack/outfit colors was something we always did in Endurance since our biothane weather-and-sweat resistant tack was made in rather vibrant colors all shades of the rainbow, often sewn several colors at the same time. That way if you fell off your horse everyone knew which horse was yours. It just felt right to me to match my bike colors. Not that I planned on falling off and having my bike keep galloping down the road sans me, but...you never know!

Mission accomplished, I joined the throngs of cyclists socializing in the check-in lines where right alongside the tables stood a life sized poster board for America's Routes featuring that photo of me driving my pony mare down the gravel road. Everyone got a kick out of it when I told them that was me! I got my number which I duly attached to my handlebars as required, chatted with others and shared taking pictures of each other with cell phones while waiting our turns for our countdowns, and then before we knew it we were in our group getting a countdown and...we were off!

20220612_095437_copy_800x684.jpg

My timed group. I politely waited in the back because I knew before long I'd be passing them all on the hills. That took...oh, I'd say about a half mile.

It didn't take long for the gravel roads to claim some early victims. Within the first 2 miles (I kid you not) I counted 8 bikes off the side of the road, riders looking carefully at whatever mechanical issue was going on with their mounts while concerned friends waited with them, worried looks on everyone's faces. I passed by two bikes being loaded in a SAG truck as the disappointed riders stood and watched sadly. The road was busy sorting out those who were going on, and those whose ride had ended much sooner than expected. The majority surrounding me headed onward, tackling some fairly intense terrain with a good test of determination and grit. It was impossible to stop to take photos because of the crush to keep moving.

About 5 miles further the riders around me had begun spread out, some slowing, some moving on quicker, giving everyone breathing room.
20220612_114222~2_copy_600x812.jpg

We were immensely lucky that the day was beyond gorgeous for cycling - overcast, cool, mild temperatures, and so calm that the only breeze felt was the gentle one created by a turning of one's pedals. The mountain scenery was a bit hidden by an annoying collection of low hanging clouds, but the intense greenery of the canopy of trees, fields of grasses, and roadside foliage more than made up for a slightly out of focus horizon. I was a bit disappointed that my local countryside failed to provid the spectacular distance views I enjoyed every day, but no one else seemed to mind. So I just sat back and enjoyed the ride like everyone else.

20220612_110152~2_copy_800x407_2.jpg

At the #1/#3 rest stop

A video from last year which gives a wonderful idea of how beautiful these gravel roads are to ride.

The battery swap midway at the 1.5-mile-from-home-just-before-rest-stop#2 was quick and easy. I wasn't that low on power, but the convenience was too perfectly placed to resist. A 3 mile detour to home and back on course to fall in behind these riders with no one the wiser.
20220612_115644~3.jpg

I did have one big detour in mind. All three distances had one obstacle in common - a rather wide creek crossing. I knew the creek well, had ridden through it before, and with all the recent rains and the current water levels higher than normal - think calf high or better- there was no way on God's green earth I was going through the water on my electric bike. Nor was I going to portage a 50lb bike across, either. That's just wasn't gonna happen.

tumblr_d9bc6896ba98ad671bc0f623bf854809_1599a08f_1280.jpg

Photo from the prior year when the 60 and 80 mile routes crossed the creek. Photo below from this year by Bruce Buckley Photography :
Screenshot_20220614_072920_copy_800x521.jpg

My plan was simply to take the paved road from the #3 rest stop 2 miles to where it intersected with the gravel road well past from the creek ford, and get back on course. I would lose about 3 miles, but I had gained 9 from biking to and from the ride.

The sun had finally broken through the clouds a mile or so earlier and the mild temperatures had instantly fled, leaving the door open for a midsummer hot and humid air to slam us right in the face. By the time I hit aid station #3 the temps had ramped up to sweltering and all around me riders were suddenly looking a bit wilted. I was still fine, still on a high thanks to the powerful Vado (which was performing beautifully, I might add). I took off, anticipating an easy cruise the final miles left to go.

What I hadn't anticipated was the two gentlemen who fell in behind me as I headed down the road. I looked over my shoulder and advised them not to follow me because I was taking a shortcut back to the route to avoid the creek. "In that case" one of them said, "we are following you because we are completely spent." "We're ready to call it quits" said the other. I slowed down to let them catch up, and sure enough both looked tired. Not surprising because the roads, while beautiful and fast, were rolling constantly. Easy to ride with an ebike, but very taxing with a non-powered bike. They were registered for the 60 mile ride, too. I instantly revised my plan. "Would you like me to guide you straight back to the ride site?" I asked. "Yes, please!" said the first. "We would love that" echoed the second. "Alright then, gentlemen." I said. "Follow me. It's paved road all the way back"

And they did follow. Faithfully. I had to wait at the top of a hill which had reduced them to a crawl, but they finally caught up and we rode the final miles straight back together, chatting the entire way. Such lovely gentlemen, so friendly and funny, so happy to see the finish line where our pictures were taken.
Screenshot_20220614_023327_copy_600x888.jpg
We said our goodbyes as they graciously thanked me once more, and made our way to the check-in staff to have our names marked as finished. I happily tucked my swag and ride t-shirt in my panniers, thanked the volunteers, and headed back down the paved road towards home.

Of course my change in plans had me arrive at my driveway at 47 miles. I paused for a heartbeat and thought I'd rather make the ride an even 50. I was still feeling great and my battery had more than enough juice, so off I went for a 4 mile loop, totally immersed in the moment, arriving back home at just over 50 miles.

It was a perfect day all around in perfect weather riding pristine gravel roads on a powerful, flawless, utterly silent, elegant-riding bike. A high indeed when it's gravel all the way.

Screenshot_20220614_035622.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220614_023327.jpg
    Screenshot_20220614_023327.jpg
    210.2 KB · Views: 87
Last edited:
Oxalic acid is in the rhubarb stalks too. They are very sour aren't they :) I agree well made rhubarb is tasty.

Pick one native Chinese food you like:
  • A block of pork artificially stuffed with tiny bones in the whole volume
  • A whole roasted duck in soya sauce (including the head)
  • Fish heads (a specialty!)
  • Whole frog fried in breadcrumbs
  • Soup looking and tasting like sperm :D
  • Jellyfish resembling a jelly and a plant resembling a jellyfish
  • 55% (110 proof) sorghum vodka made as a sugar syrup full of aniseed and served in plastic bottles (the latter similar to ones with a washing agent)
  • Jasmin green tea. Black tea or coffee are not known in China.
No knife. No fork.

As I lived and worked among natives, nobody could understand I would be most happy to just get some vegetables! Ten days of hunger. I was crying from happiness abord a Russian Boeing 777 where I got a regular meal! Ah, I was lucky to be at McDonald's and Starbucks in Beijing once...
I had some interesting food when I worked out there;
- Raw shredded Lobster
- Raw shredded Penis Fish
- Dog
- Snake
- Turtle
- Pigs large and small intestine
- Silk worm grubs

View attachment 125938

View attachment 125940

View attachment 125941

View attachment 125942
I get such a warm and cozy feeling seeing a bike shop selling BEAR SPRAY!!!! And we did lose a mt biker here a few years ago to a cougar attack.

And rather than doing a deep dive, I'll ask - what is the purpose of that drive engine - to absorb slack as the springs absorb shock?

I know who needs that: The ultramarathon gravel cyclists. The time limit for 220 km is 40 hours, and it is 64 hours for the 550 km race. Even if a competitor takes an overnight stay, it is not easy to get an access to a power socket. Several friends of mine taking part in the 220 km race complained on the inadequate battery charge on their Garmins and Wahoos.

I cannot understand you Dave. The bike vibration on the ride makes it hard to hit the right spot on a small display. Are you not happy with your button operated 530? And mark my word: wait until the Wahoo ELEMNT Roam v2 is released. (You can thank me later) :D
In our climate, I'm not sure that a solar charger would work for a gps. But I do have solar panels on my roof.

I am very happy with the 530. Especially with the remote buttons. I'd still have the remote even with an 830/1030/1040.
I just think that map navigation, and route planning is better on a touch screen. 😇

I get such a warm and cozy feeling seeing a bike shop selling BEAR SPRAY!!!! And we did lose a mt biker here a few years ago to a cougar attack.

And rather than doing a deep dive, I'll ask - what is the purpose of that drive engine - to absorb slack as the springs absorb shock?
I thought that was cool too along with the e-bike service decal. On the drive back from dinner yesterday evening we almost hit a young black bear that was running across the road. It scampered into the woods and we thought we might catch another glimpse of it coming out on the other side of the turn up the hill but it must have knew we were on to it and likely stayed put. it was kind of alarming as we spotted a young woman walking with her dog off leash the night before around the same time. Maybe the locals know when the bears around here come out at night. The lids on the large dumpsters around the condo complex where we are staying are strapped down and probably for good reason.

As for the bike, it’s still a bit of an enigma to me but according to the shop owner it has much to do with the suspension and its high pivot design, pulley/link positions allowing the rear axle to swing upwards and back where most extend forward. This apparently (in theory) makes it superior for hard impacts and aggressive trail riding. A small /med frame requires one chain where a lg/xlg frame surprisingly only needs a few links to complete the loop.

A wonderful story about the sport I love!
Was there any issue to sign you up as an e-biker, Flora?
No issue whatsoever. The entry didn't ask for the bike type. Everyone was on a "bike" bike. Some were commuter types like mine, most dropped bar gravel bikes. Nothing that stood out as a quasi-motorcycle or screamed ELECTRIC.

Mine was the only ebike I noticed in the ride, and my Vado (as you know) is somewhat stealth. I didn't see all the bikes, just a percentage, because we went off in specified group times. Plus it wasn't a race and they VERY strongly discouraged any type of racing activity. In capital letters on the ride instructions.

But it does give me something to think about.

Now that’s a ride report! Sounds like an incredible day, Flora, and so well told. I recognize that water crossing from some of your other entries - seems like there’s quite a difference in how it can look from time to time.

You certainly do live in a bike rider’s heaven.
Thanks. I love this area. 😁 The next gravel ride here is this Fall. I'd like to do the 60 at that ride with the new Gazelle, and then head to Maryland for the 2022 Seagull Century.

Back