Our Rides in Words, Photos & Videos

A few photos from my recent rides....

Pegsdon Hills Nature Reserve, this whole area is just a cycling delight.

Strange rare breed sheep! Look at those horns!

Worth riding up the hills for views like this....

The Grand Union Canal. Slightly jealous of the people that live on these boats... so peaceful.View attachment 125781

Rainbows are everywhere these days.... They've all copied Wigginton :D

The Bridgewater Monument on the Ashridge Estate. It had been decorated for the Queens jubilee.

Ashridge House.... worth a visit if you're in the area.
View attachment 125785
What do people do with all that space? Back then there was no bike machine or peleton or nordic track and no home audio/video theater!!!

Then again, how do those boaters live with so little space. Oh, well, there must be a happy medium.

What do people do with all that space? Back then there was no bike machine or peleton or nordic track and no home audio/video theater!!!

Then again, how do those boaters live with so little space. Oh, well, there must be a happy medium.
Yeah it's crazy really. The grounds of Ashridge House today are some 5,000 acres. In its heyday when Kings and Queen's stayed there, they would have also owned most if not all of the surrounding farms. I don't think they done much with it as such, but ownership was status and power.

The boaters are amazing. They might not have money, they might not have the latest things, but the boat people have definitely found something special. I'd love to own one myself, take a few friends out on it, sailing it down the canals, stopping off at the many pubs dotted along the route. Get the bbq out of an evening, fishing rods in the water, crack open a few beers while chatting away with friends and it's bliss. I ride my bike along the canal towpath sometimes and I see others doing just this... and yeah, jealous! It seems such a chilled out lifestyle..... :)

The Polish Cold Soup. The ambient temperature was 29 C, so the soup taken right out the fridge was just delicious!
I don't think I would be a good candidate to be Polinized as I just really don't care for beets. Might have something to do with the fact that I only ever knew beets from a can as a child and my innate distrust of any vegetable that is sweet. :)

Cucumbers on the other hand are my favorite, so maybe there would be some hope for me after all.

I don't think I would be a good candidate to be Polinized as I just really don't care for beets. Might have something to do with the fact that I only ever knew beets from a can as a child and my innate distrust of any vegetable that is sweet. :)

Cucumbers on the other hand are my favorite, so maybe there would be some hope for me after all.
While loaded with sugar, sugar beets anyway, beets really don't taste sweet to me - earthy, if anything. But pickled beets are definitely sweet.

Chłodnik, or the Lithuanian chilled soup is excellent on very warm days, and it is very different from borscht as the former is made of the leaf stalks of chard. The only other soup of similar quality I know of is the Bulgarian tarator. The latter is made of yoghurt (or soured milk), small chunks of fresh cucumber, and garlic, and it is also served chilled. (I have to admit I managed to forget the origin of chłodnik was Lithuanian!) Yet another chilled soup I could think of is zupa owocowa, or chilled fruit soup (strawberries, redcurrant, etc) served with noodles (I'm not fond of that soup though as it is sweet).

Indeed, it is often hard to get used to the cuisine of another nation. I can experience that during my world travelling... (China was the worst so far!)

Greetings All from beautiful Kimberley, BC. A couple of buddies and I rode the singletracks today and had a blast. Hope to get another ride or two in tomorrow at Cranbrook a short drive away if the weather holds. 🤞Will try and have a full report when we return home on June 15. Cheers! :)

IMG_20220612_1005100.jpg

IMG_20220612_1603110.jpg

IMG_20220612_1258004.jpg

IMG_20220612_1617429.jpg

Chłodnik, or the Lithuanian chilled soup is excellent on very warm days, and it is very different from borscht as the former is made of the leaf stalks of chard. The only other soup of similar quality I know of is the Bulgarian tarator. The latter is made of yoghurt (or soured milk), small chunks of fresh cucumber, and garlic, and it is also served chilled. (I have to admit I managed to forget the origin of chłodnik was Lithuanian!) Yet another chilled soup I could think of is zupa owocowa, or chilled fruit soup (strawberries, redcurrant, etc) served with noodles (I'm not fond of that soup though as it is sweet).

Indeed, it is often hard to get used to the cuisine of another nation. I can experience that during my world travelling... (China was the worst so far!)
How about Shav or Sorrel Soup - green and served chilled with sour cream and possible additions are cucumbers and scallions (green onions). I love cold borscht (Veggie beet soup) with hot boiled potato - sour cream, of course.

I loved all of the food in China. Two weeks of wonder.

How about Shav or Sorrel Soup - green and served chilled with sour cream and possible additions are cucumbers and scallions (green onions).
I can't remember when and if I ate it! Typically, the sorrel soup is served warm (although I know the chilled version exists, too). Sorrel and rhubarb contain significant amount of oxalic acid, which is not very good for you. Therefore, I eat food containing sorrel or rhubarb very rarely.
I loved all of the food in China. Two weeks of wonder.
If you were served food made for "Westerners" then maybe. I was given genuine Chinese food, my bad luck :)

I can't remember when and if I ate it! Typically, the sorrel soup is served warm (although I know the chilled version exists, too). Sorrel and rhubarb contain significant amount of oxalic acid, which is not very good for you. Therefore, I eat food containing sorrel or rhubarb very rarely.

If you were served food made for "Westerners" then maybe. I was given genuine Chinese food, my bad luck :)
No, the food was for natives. That was the point of the trip.

But how about some homemade Strawberry-Rhubarb Galette

Galette-.jpg

Actually Stefan I believe the oxalic acid is only in the leaves rhubarb has lots of good health qualities like vitamin K and the good kind of cholesterol and it is the first one we can harvest in spring in our climate although I guess adding sugar for rhubarb cake or rhubarb/strawberry jam defeats some of the good stuff but oh sure tastes good

Actually Stefan I believe the oxalic acid is only in the leaves rhubarb has lots of good health qualities...
Oxalic acid is in the rhubarb stalks too. They are very sour aren't they :) I agree well made rhubarb is tasty.

No, the food was for natives. That was the point of the trip.
Pick one native Chinese food you like:
  • A block of pork artificially stuffed with tiny bones in the whole volume
  • A whole roasted duck in soya sauce (including the head)
  • Fish heads (a specialty!)
  • Whole frog fried in breadcrumbs
  • Soup looking and tasting like sperm :D
  • Jellyfish resembling a jelly and a plant resembling a jellyfish
  • 55% (110 proof) sorghum vodka made as a sugar syrup full of aniseed and served in plastic bottles (the latter similar to ones with a washing agent)
  • Jasmin green tea. Black tea or coffee are not known in China.
No knife. No fork.

As I lived and worked among natives, nobody could understand I would be most happy to just get some vegetables! Ten days of hunger. I was crying from happiness abord a Russian Boeing 777 where I got a regular meal! Ah, I was lucky to be at McDonald's and Starbucks in Beijing once...

It's been a while since I posted a ride, but yesterday's short but fun ride needs some sharing.

The weather forecast was foreboding as Environment Canada had posted a "weather watch" so I had to keep an eye on the weather coming in from the Rockies.
When the lightning started west of me, I cut the ride short.

As usual - some Strava details:
June12_1.JPG

And to no-one's great surprise, a route shown on Nose Hill ;)
June12_2.JPG

I covered mostly known trails, but did find a few new routes. Conditions were great - dry and fast, and for a change I did not tackle any of my normal big climbs.

Looking SW - you can start to see teh weather coming from the west.
20220612_142442.jpg

Now facing west - you see what's approaching. I did not drop into that valley this time - but it's a fun one to ride in and out of.
20220612_142802.jpg

20220612_142805.jpg20220612_142810.jpg20220612_143707.jpg20220612_144424.jpg20220612_144426.jpg20220612_145731.jpg

20220612_145611.jpg

Lovin' the Garmin.
I just bought a new Samsung S22 and I am not hanging that on a bike for trail riding!

20220612_145628.jpg

About 15 minutes after I got home, the rain began. It was not as bad as predicted, but we're still supposed to get quite a bit over the next 3 days. We need it!

I enjoyed a shared bottle of Rose Prosecco in my breezeway and enjoyed the storm - albeit sheltered and dry.
As there was no wind, I could keep my doors open and enjoy the spectacle - not just via the skylights.

A few parting shots of 2 of my kittens (now teenagers), as this is on the internet and the internet is useful for documenting bike trips and sharing cat pictures 😂

20220610_153353.jpg

Still vertical,
Randall

I went for an afternoon ride (Vado SL) for some symbolic shopping, making 14 km. Outside a McDonald's, a gentleman with a doggie asked me a question:
-- Excuse me, why the bottom tube of your bike is so thick?
-- Because this is an e-bike.
-- So the battery's in the downtube?
-- Yes it is.
-- But where's the motor?!
-- In the cranks -- I explained (rather imprecisely).
-- Ah.
Long silence.
-- I was looking at your bike: no motor in the rear hub, no motor in the front. And it is in the cranks. Well well well.
:)

I must admit the man was pretty observant!

I took another uneventful ride in the thick hot humid air. I have a problem for my ride tomorrow. Two different friends want to ride with me tomorrow morning. I suppose I created this problem…after having my medium Trek 7+ for a couple of months with no takers I have at least three friends wanting to come and ride with me now. Al….After worrying about the roads now love the bike. Since one friend is coming down to help me with a project he gets first dibs. I might have to ride with the 2nd friend also since neither is a local.
I wanted to mention that in April my LBS installed Schwabe Airplus tubes which are thicker for better puncture protection. Since I got the bike back I have not had to add air.

It's been a while since I posted a ride, but yesterday's short but fun ride needs some sharing.

The weather forecast was foreboding as Environment Canada had posted a "weather watch" so I had to keep an eye on the weather coming in from the Rockies.
When the lightning started west of me, I cut the ride short.

As usual - some Strava details:
View attachment 125884
And to no-one's great surprise, a route shown on Nose Hill ;)
View attachment 125885

I covered mostly known trails, but did find a few new routes. Conditions were great - dry and fast, and for a change I did not tackle any of my normal big climbs.

Looking SW - you can start to see teh weather coming from the west.
View attachment 125875

Now facing west - you see what's approaching. I did not drop into that valley this time - but it's a fun one to ride in and out of.
View attachment 125876

View attachment 125877View attachment 125878View attachment 125879View attachment 125880View attachment 125881View attachment 125883

View attachment 125882

Lovin' the Garmin.
I just bought a new Samsung S22 and I am not hanging that on a bike for trail riding!

View attachment 125886

About 15 minutes after I got home, the rain began. It was not as bad as predicted, but we're still supposed to get quite a bit over the next 3 days. We need it!

I enjoyed a shared bottle of Rose Prosecco in my breezeway and enjoyed the storm - albeit sheltered and dry.
As there was no wind, I could keep my doors open and enjoy the spectacle - not just via the skylights.

A few parting shots of 2 of my kittens (now teenagers), as this is on the internet and the internet is useful for documenting bike trips and sharing cat pictures 😂

View attachment 125887

Still vertical,
Randall
Awesome! What model Garmin did you settle on?

I havent read a few pages, been up in Windermere with the entire family and simply havent had a minute to myself.
I'm an only child and eight of us in a town house was pushing my sociaphobia to the edge.
Didnt even bother taking the bike as I couldnt have justified disappearing for half a day.
So heres last weeks ride where I broke the chain...and other parts.

I repaired it by simply bending off the broken links and using the wire cutters the pinch the chain back together.
Screenshot_20220613-222210.png

Messing about with drone, completely out of my depth, just mashing buttons on the phone screen.

Screenshot_20220613-221706.png

Finally got a grip of it, this is just outside the military no fly zone and I was half expecting a black helicopter to appear with a loudspeaker.
Land your drone and lie face down on the floor!
Screenshot_20220613-221748.png

The tide was fully out and this is simply the most gargantuan beach you could imagine, it just goes on for ever.

Screenshot_20220613-222001.png

Screenshot_20220613-221851.png

Got a few heckles from the pier, some questioning my piloting skills and the number of brain cells I had to rub together.
Screenshot_20220613-221808.png

Then a rather botched rear disc mount failed spectacularly, luckily little permanent damage and I fixed it that night with a better quality botch.
Screenshot_20220613-221920.png

All in ,Im happy with the drone, my aim is to have something that doesnt dominate the ride and can be quickly used and stored away without spoiling the flow of the day.
I can fly it with 4 clicks and a wave.
Screenshot_20220613-222115.png

Im going to read the lsst few pages now and Ive already seen some pink soup and floods, perfect.

I'll leave you with this, sorry if its nsfw, I'll take it down if it breaks a forum rule.
This was in the main room of a popular family bar in Windermere.
Im not making any assertions, but it was run entirely by Eastern Europeans😘

Screenshot_20220613-224637.png

Back