Our Rides in Words, Photos & Videos

A ride to the park …

Again, my afternoon ride was left until rather late. At 5:00 pm (sunset 5:30 pm) I pulled off to visit Kholo Gardens beside the Brisbane River. Of course, this being what passes for autumn, there wasn't much flowering but I chanced my luck with a few photos of name plants.

Ride with GPS : Kholo Gardens

Grevillea

Genus: Grevillea

Callistemon

Common Name: Bottlebrush
Genus: Callistemon

Crowea Poorinda Ecstasy

Common Name: Wax Flower (flowers ~1 cm)
Genus: Crowea

Grevillea

Genus: Grevillea

Banksia

Genus: Banksia

When only the tallest gum trees could still catch the sun, it was surely time to leave!

Eucalypt

Common Name: Eucalypt(~30 metres)

Last edited by a moderator:
The Tractor Hunt

It's kind of like a scavenger hunt. It wasn't very windy when I left home. I stopped here to show the cloud build up. To the west:
DSC01726.JPG

To the northeast:
DSC01723.JPG

I was in the middle hoping that the O Effect was working. We think of the valley as an O and storms often just circle around that O and leave the valley dry.
Tractors, there were lots of tractors. Pretty soon, I only took their picture if they were NOT a John Deere or a Ford. I did have to get one that is big enough to tow a tank. I have my doubts about some of the others. Maybe if they doubled up?
DSC01728.JPGDSC01729.JPGDSC01730.JPG
Next we have a blue New Holland, a back pose of a Messy Fergusson, my bike where I stopped to put on a headband because the wind was picking up, and then a Case tractor. The twin of the Case, also a Case was also in that field.

Attachments

• DSC01734.JPG
    DSC01734.JPG
    488.7 KB · Views: 107
  • DSC01733.JPG
    DSC01733.JPG
    766.9 KB · Views: 102
  • DSC01732.JPG
    DSC01732.JPG
    892.5 KB · Views: 108
  • DSC01731.JPG
    DSC01731.JPG
    457.5 KB · Views: 109
The wind was picking up. My theory that there wouldn't be much traffic out because folks would be sitting down to their Easter dinner was quite wrong and there was more traffic and it was fast moving. Going on the old highway was not enjoyable today. I did stop and take pictures of these gizmos. I thought they burned oil to keep the orchard blossoms from freezing but they have some kind of plumbing hooked up so maybe are water misters? The orchard also has a propane powered fan for cold nights. The blossoms didn't look too happy either.
DSC01738.JPG

That's the end of my pictures.

Easter 2022 Metric Century

I got fooled by the weather. When your outside thermometer (located in the shadow) reads +11 C, and you can see magnificent sunshine, you'd think it is the Spring? The mistake was to wear my "one level more lightweight" cycling clothes before I drove with my big Vado to Leszno late on Easter Sunday.

My plan was to ultimately test my Vado 5.0 off-road, riding on deflated Electrak tyres.

1650242719123.png

The magical place, or the inlet of the Wilków Road (that I love so much). There is a tourist resting place nearby, where I deflated the front tyre to 2 bar (30 psi) and the rear one was deflated to 2.5 bar (35 psi). I continued riding westwards.

As I didn't actually like the exact route (which I had defined myself), I turned into the forest soon. The danger of doing so is you can get easily lost! And I got actually lost. Now, without the network coverage, it is rather difficult to re-route your ride! Fortunately enough, Wahoo lets you pick a point where you intend to go on its offline map. It is tricky with a Wahoo computer (Garmin fares better here) but I was eventually able to find my point of interest on the map and be lead by my Wahoo there.

1650243196419.png

The Kobendza Oak. The largest oak tree in the Kampinos National Park was named after Professor Kobendza who initiated the concept of creating of the Park. Note: Soon later, I rode over the site of my recent CRASH :) I was very careful on this Sunday!

1650243434902.png

1650243472405.png

Something I'm not sure I'm fond of. For many centuries, people used to live in the Kampinos Forest. Actually, they lived
together with the Forest. For recent many years, the naturalists have postulated "returning the Forest to the Nature". Properties in so many villages have been bought out by the State, and the people were asked to leave. Now, you often meet such depopulated locations in the KPN...

1650243749118.png

My Vado on the trail. Don't be misled by the sunshine! It was actually
cold...

The Verdict
My ride of Easter 2022 has eventually convinced me my full power Vado (that specific version) was not suited the best for forest rides! The e-bike is too heavy (especially with the pannier necessary to carry the spare battery), and it has no suspension. It is a bone-shaker (disregarding the tyre inflation pressure). It is actually sluggish off-road, and this e-bike cannot be ridden fast enough there. Just ride onto the pavement, and my Vado becomes a Highway Star! :) I consider using my Vado SL for off-road rides in the future.

Once I got onto paved roads, I started riding at a pretty high speed southwards. The deflated tyres were cushioning any asphalt imperfection so delightfully!

1650244187484.png

I rode up the Magda's Social Care Home in a very short time. The employee happily packed a bag with my daughter's personal belongings so I could carry them to the hospital.

1650244417627.png

I covered the 17 km to the hospital in no time (compared to my Vado SL). It was like riding a motorcycle! (Each of my e-bikes has its own role, as it turns out). I was admitted to the hospital ward without any issues.

1650244571412.png

On the return way to Leszno, I was heading northwards through my neighbourhood. The headwind was not strong: it was terribly cold! Everything is closed down on Easter. I was lucky enough to find a petrol station where I could drink a cup of warm coffee. I continued through the "Road That Does Not Exist" to eventually reach my car. I was stiff from the cold! (The photo was taken with the 10x telephoto of my Samsung S21 Ultra phone).

1650244739004.png

Ride Map, etc. (Note: it was a northerly wind). I was crossing River Utrata for too many times on that day! :)

Last edited:
my stoker and wife handled 20 miles today she did stitches and we had to stop for more of her shoulder stretches but she managed well and just used her ice therapy machine when we got home. just easy flat riding
of course the silly goose forgot to start strava till we had gotten half way. se did get to skirt a bunch of police arresting two guys with guns out but luckily not pointed at him as we were behind.

Screenshot 2022-04-17 at 8.11.10 PM.jpg
IMG_4231.jpeg

Easter 2022 Metric Century

I got fooled by the weather. When your outside thermometer (located in the shadow) reads +11 C, and you can see magnificent sunshine, you'd think it is the Spring? The mistake was to wear my "one level more lightweight" cycling clothes before I drove with my big Vado to Leszno late on Easter Sunday.

My plan was to ultimately test my Vado 5.0 off-road, riding on deflated Electrak tyres.

View attachment 120495
The magical place, or the inlet of the Wilków Road (that I love so much). There is a tourist resting place nearby, where I deflated the front tyre to 2 bar (30 psi) and the rear one was deflated to 2.5 bar (35 psi). I continued riding westwards.

As I didn't actually like the exact route (which I had defined myself), I turned into the forest soon. The danger of doing so is you can get easily lost! And I got actually lost. Now, without the network coverage, it is rather difficult to re-route your ride! Fortunately enough, Wahoo lets you pick a point where you intend to go on its offline map. It is tricky with a Wahoo computer (Garmin fares better here) but I was eventually able to find my point of interest on the map and be lead by my Wahoo there.

View attachment 120496
The Kobendza Oak. The largest oak tree in the Kampinos National Park was named after Professor Kobendza who initiated the concept of creating of the Park. Note: Soon later, I rode over the site of my recent CRASH :) I was very careful on this Sunday!

View attachment 120497
View attachment 120498
Something I'm not sure I'm fond of. For many centuries, people used to live in the Kampinos Forest. Actually, they lived
together with the Forest. For recent many years, the naturalists have postulated "returning the Forest to the Nature". Properties in so many villages have been bought out by the State, and the people were asked to leave. Now, you often meet such depopulated locations in the KPN...

View attachment 120499
My Vado on the trail. Don't be misled by the sunshine! It was actually
cold...

The Verdict
My ride of Easter 2022 has eventually convinced me my full power Vado (that specific version) was not suited the best for forest rides! The e-bike is too heavy (especially with the pannier necessary to carry the spare battery), and it has no suspension. It is a bone-shaker (disregarding the tyre inflation pressure). It is actually sluggish off-road, and this e-bike cannot be ridden fast enough there. Just ride onto the pavement, and my Vado becomes a Highway Star! :) I consider using my Vado SL for off-road rides in the future.

Once I got onto paved roads, I started riding at a pretty high speed southwards. The deflated tyres were cushioning any asphalt imperfection so delightfully!

View attachment 120501
I rode up the Magda's Social Care Home in a very short time. The employee happily packed a bag with my daughter's personal belongings so I could carry them to the hospital.

View attachment 120502
I covered the 17 km to the hospital in no time (compared to my Vado SL). It was like riding a motorcycle! (Each of my e-bikes has its own role, as it turns out). I was admitted to the hospital ward without any issues.

View attachment 120503
On the return way to Leszno, I was heading northwards through my neighbourhood. The headwind was not strong: it was terribly cold! Everything is closed down on Easter. I was lucky enough to find a petrol station where I could drink a cup of warm coffee. I continued through the "Road That Does Not Exist" to eventually reach my car. I was stiff from the cold! (The photo was taken with the 10x telephoto of my Samsung S21 Ultra phone).

View attachment 120504
Ride Map, etc. (Note: it was a northerly wind). I was crossing River Utrata for too many times on that day! :)
Thats a beautiful forest, those pics make it look quite eerie as well.

I succumbed to the classic british disease of drinking too much on Easter Sunday, didnt get in till 4am and spent the next day promising jesus I would never drink again.
I didnt go anywhere as bank holiday just brings this country to a halt, but got a charity ride with the wifes friends next week, I'll take some pictures.
Not going to be a pub crawl.

Around Brwinów, or My Easter Monday Ride

Let me tell you a story first! As I was on the return way home (riding my Vado SL, which is "just a bike" according to the law), I chose a road with many bike paths along. At one point, I had to cross the road (over a "bike zebra") to switch from one bike path to another. Drivers were actually facilitating me doing so! Then I could see one of the drivers aggressively pointing with his hand towards the bike path. What was it?! Ah, there was a young roadie riding an aero racing bike with the traffic and on a bike ban! I smiled, switched to Turbo and sped up. So we both were riding two abreast. I merrily shouted to the roadie:

-- Oh these drivers! They seem not to like us, eh? :)
-- Well, what else can I do? -- the roadie replied
-- Yes, yes, I know! Your wheels are very expensive and delicate!
-- And my body would be terribly shaken on that crappy bike path!
-- I know it all! Good luck!

The funny part was he was riding his racing bike on the pavement, and I could ride my lightweight e-bike side by side with him on a bike path and we still could talk! :)

The hospital ride
I rode up the hospital to see Magda again, bring a lot of mineral water from a local store to her, and eventually fix her smartphone. Mission accomplished! Now, my daughter asks me to bring her some Greek Salad; another reason for a new ride on Tuesday! (My daughter feels much better now).

1650342719354.png

I know the local roads pretty well, so I took a longer route "to avoid Brwinów and Podkowa Leśna" as I am actually fed up with both towns! However, I do not know Grodzisk Mazowiecki by heart, so I asked my Wahoo to show me the way to the hospital. And that stupid software told me to carry my Vado SL four flights of stairs up and down! (It is so lightweight e-bike I didn't even mind). Later, my riding buddy of Grodzisk told me: "Stefan, there is a bike tunnel 100 metres to the left!" :D

For recreation & workout, I took a longer way back home. It was my first direct trip from Grodzisk M. to Nadarzyn ever! I enjoyed smooth asphalt roads and minimum traffic. The weather was weird: I had to remove some clothing items downwind, and wear them upwind again!

1650343160403.png

Insanely ugly and huge Council of the Borough of Nadarzyn :D Who these local politicians think they are?! If it were a County Council, I could understand the size but a Borough?! I cannot accept the architecture in any case!

1650343638847.png

I cannot understand how Strava can be so hopelessly wrong. My Wahoo reported my max speed as 40.7 km/h and that was true (tailwind, a slight downslope, and me working hard). How come Strava reported my top speed as 104.2 km/h?! And that only occurs for my Vado SL!

1650344476223.png

Ride Map.

Meanwhile, my brother Jacek made his first metric century this year! We're planning another "In The Footsteps Of Our Ancestors" ride for the coming Saturday! I will let him ride Vado SL this time! :)

Last edited:
Stefan, I'm so glad Magda is feeling better!

Honestly, I've been avoiding this thread for weeks because it was just making me envious and depressed as I struggled through a series of respiratory issues (allergies ➡️ severe asthma flare up ➡️ some crud ➡️ bronchitis ➡️ sinus infection) almost since we arrived east, and have not gotten out on my Flow even once 😱!

Beginning, FINALLY, to feel a bit better after starting second antibiotic and third round of massive Prednisone, so hopefully will have something besides my little tale of woe to contribute by next week 🤞🙏🤞!

Ride on, peeps 😁😁😁!

Prednisone…Ugg
I have begun to get my legs back and next week have carpal tunnel surgery which will knock me off the bike again. Just like my PT therapist the neurosurgeon is a roadie (a member of the Spin Doctors) and is sympathetic to my concerns.
Patricia…I’m in Central VA and the tree pollen has been brutal…I hope your issues resolve themselves soon

Stefan, I'm so glad Magda is feeling better!

Honestly, I've been avoiding this thread for weeks because it was just making me envious and depressed as I struggled through a series of respiratory issues (allergies ➡️ severe asthma flare up ➡️ some crud ➡️ bronchitis ➡️ sinus infection) almost since we arrived east, and have not gotten out on my Flow even once 😱!

Beginning, FINALLY, to feel a bit better after starting second antibiotic and third round of massive Prednisone, so hopefully will have something besides my little tale of woe to contribute by next week 🤞🙏🤞!

Ride on, peeps 😁😁😁!
omg, sinus infection, I was in bed for a week with that recently, I feel your pain

Prednisone…Ugg
I have begun to get my legs back and next week have carpal tunnel surgery which will knock me off the bike again. Just like my PT therapist the neurosurgeon is a roadie (a member of the Spin Doctors) and is sympathetic to my concerns.
Patricia…I’m in Central VA and the tree pollen has been brutal…I hope your issues resolve themselves soon
We've been having a pollen apocalypse down here in NC!

There is a Polish custom to drown a puppet called Marzanna in a nearby stream or river on the first day of Spring to symbolise the departure of Winter.

A cartoon:
FB_IMG_1650393421056.jpg

First day of Spring. Twentieth day of Spring.

Last edited:
In The Quest Of Greek Salad

Magda asked me to bring Greek Salad to her. Well. I didn't have vegetables or feta cheese at home, so I thought I could buy something ready made. And rode on my quest...

1650406329866.png

1650406373651.png

In the Big Marsh of Brwinów. I occasionally test my e-bikes for off-road worthiness there :) Of course none of my e-bikes could beat the full suspension Giant Trance E+ but my "gravelized" Vado SL on deflated tyres fared pretty well there!

No Greek Salad at the BP petrol station. Rode up the Podkowa Leśna Mall: Found ready made Greek Salad but with a symbolic amount of feta cheese :) Bought more feta and rode to Grodzisk.

1650406629094.png

Bad luck! I was treated as an intruder by the Ward Chief Nurse and almost thrown out the ward! Moreover, the nurse forbade me feeding my daughter! Shattered, I leaved the hospital. (Good I could at least have a talk with Magda).

1650406809619.png

It was another cold & windy day. I warmed up at another BP station with coffee and a Granola Cake.

1650407335628.png

Ride Map.

Back