Our Rides in Words, Photos & Videos

Indeed and he was "right" 😛
Cannot understand how the left-hand traffic could ever be "right" :D Yes, I know, that was to confuse Bonaparte in case of possible invasion... :D
1645558943585.png

"Is my image right for your fashion parade
If it don't look right your days are numbered!"
/Angelic Upstarts "Teenage Warning"/

Cannot understand how the left-hand traffic could ever be "right" :D Yes, I know, that was to confuse Bonaparte in case of possible invasion... :D
You don't have to draw your sword while riding lately ?

Never mind answering... I know what's ahead, but couldn't resist throwing things even further /offtopic ...

My Facebook reminds me that exactly two years ago Kiox display on David Berry's Homage hung up, and the Gates carbon belt broke a bit earlier...
#internetneverforgets
Reasons for abandoning an ebike ride and taking a taxi or train home:
  1. Minor puncture: the tyre still went flat! Impossible to remove Bontrager tyre from Bontrager rim. This is the sole complaint against my Trek eMTB, but is also the reason why that ebike remains largely unused.
  2. Kiox battery running flat: didn't know they had a battery until then. Forget that the Homage's batteries were 50% charged, the Kiox was having a bad day and that brought everything to a halt. (No taxi or train that time: just a long walk!)
  3. Rohloff E-14 failure: Riese & Müller wiring fault?
  4. Self-destructing Gates Carbon Drive: 100% serviceable to totally useless in the space of one city intersection. Actually, I had been stopped at a red light and had to get moving, so make that 'half a city intersection', or maybe a quarter.

Last edited by a moderator:
Gorgeous, sunny day, but baby it was COLD outside! I should have bought that dang balaclava - my face was numb halfway through the ride. And, though I didn't quite have popsicle toes by the end, I was close! Around town, my neoprene-lined plastic garden shoes have been keeping my feet warm:

View attachment 114886

Today I should have paired them with my electric socks 😜.

Cold aside, it was a FABulously beautiful ride, though!

View attachment 114887

See those little white points out in the water? That's a SAILING class! Hope they were all wearing wet suits!

View attachment 114888

Here's the ride:

View attachment 114890

Normally we'd ride out past Joseph Whidbey Park Beach before looping back to town, but the headwind was brutal, and, as mentioned, face was numb. So, we took a shortcut dirt and gravel trail that, halfway through, has a "No Bikes" posting. It was just so cold we decided to ride slowly through, and were caught by the farmer on a 4-wheeler at the end (the trail goes through his property). He was not happy, but we explained that at the trailhead at the road, there was no signage prohibiting bikes, and we promised never to ride there again! He was mollified... Kind of. We really will NEVER ride through again, because I'm buying that damn balaclava!!!

Stats:

View attachment 114891
Picture me pretty shocked that we got snow overnight!!!! Still only 33F (which is pretty close to ZERO C) at 2:30pm. Went to Costco instead of even thinking of a bicycle. Well, I did think and quickly discarded the notion.

Picture me pretty shocked that we got snow overnight!!!! Still only 33F (which is pretty close to ZERO C) at 2:30pm. Went to Costco instead of even thinking of a bicycle. Well, I did think and quickly discarded the notion.

You should have heard the expletives I began the day with when I opened the drapes and beheld what happened overnight 🤣🤬🤣!

Back when I rode 'adventure' bikes I did some touring with fairly large rear boxes. I was constantly pulling up to talk to a fellow rider and banging my boxes into his boxes. Took many whacks to get the habit of NOT doing that worked into my grey matter.

Edit: Figures CR would take his family running around rough rooted twisty tree festooned trails pulling a kiddie trailer ... with toddler. 🤣
Oh, kind of like when we cross-country skied pulling sleds through Yellowstone. My sled would veer off to the side and find every tree-well or tree trunk. Had to get use to more clearance!

Theres a goddum Storm Gladys now.

Mah-Rye-ah

Away out here they got a name
For rain and wind and fire
The rain is Tess, the fire Joe,
And they call the wind Maria

Maria blows the stars around
And sends the clouds a’flyin’
Maria makes the mountains sound
Like folks were up there dying

Maria
Maria
They call the wind Maria

Rode 9.1 miles (14.6km) yesterday in blistering heat (well, blistering for February, that is - 72°f (22°c)).

It took me 2.5 hours to ride those 9 miles. I arrived home drenched in sweat and exhausted. And I still had to jump in the electric car and go back up the road to pick up the 2 full bags I'd collected of road litter and placed alongside the road when they got too heavy to drag with me anymore, and take those bags to the local (closed for the day) Dept. of Transportation site several miles away to dump the trash off.

My adopted road is now spotlessly clean, my bike got out for a ride dragging the little makeshift trash trailer along for the trip, I got an upper and lower body workout worthy of any expensive gym, and several neighbors stopped on the road to chat with me so we could catch up on the news. It may sound strange but these "clean up" rides tend to be quite social with motorists stopping to chat or just say thank you which I always appreciate.

It was a nice, warm, social, fulfilling afternoon on the bike. Even tho it was only a 9 mile "up and back" trip on one road that is now very clean and very pretty.

Obligatory road photo (from last summer because I forgot again to take a current shot):
0505201142_copy_896x538.jpg

Last edited:
Rode 9.1 miles (14.6km) yesterday in blistering heat (well, blistering for February, that is - 72°f (22°c)).

It took me 2.5 hours to ride those 9 miles. I arrived home drenched in sweat and exhausted. And I still had to jump in the electric car and go back up the road to pick up the 2 full bags I'd collected of road litter and placed alongside the road when they got too heavy to drag with me anymore, and take those bags to the local (closed for the day) Dept. of Transportation site several miles away to dump the trash off.

My adopted road is now spotlessly clean, my bike got out for a ride dragging the little makeshift trash trailer along for the trip, I got an upper and lower body workout worthy of any expensive gym, and several neighbors stopped on the road to chat with me so we could catch up on the news. It may sound strange but these "clean up" rides tend to be quite social with motorists stopping to chat or just say thank you which I always appreciate.

It was a nice, warm, social, fulfilling afternoon on the bike. Even tho it was only a 9 mile "up and back" trip on one road that is now very clean and very pretty.

Obligatory road photo (from last summer because I forgot again to take a current shot):
View attachment 115116
I admit to using my (ICE) to clean my short road…you lady are absolutely off the chain. I bow down

Mah-Rye-ah

Away out here they got a name
For rain and wind and fire
The rain is Tess, the fire Joe,
And they call the wind Maria

Maria blows the stars around
And sends the clouds a’flyin’
Maria makes the mountains sound
Like folks were up there dying

Maria
Maria
They call the wind Maria