Our Rides in Words, Photos & Videos

monsoon rain, stayed in and sulked
Got beer ? My rainy day solution...
That takes me back a couple decades ago when I was young and stupid on the east coast. My roommate and I decided to go on a beer run because we were bored waiting out the hurricane that just seemed like just a bunch of rain.

Turned out that our street was just relatively sheltered and we'd been assessing conditions while the eye was over us! It didn't take long to realize our mistake after several failed attempts to get to the 7-11 around flooded streets and downed trees. Found out afterwards that we had 9" of rain and 90mph winds.

Learned a valuable lesson: always keep a week's worth of beer on hand in case of hurricanes :)

Westwards, Ho! ("Wisconsin" & "Shimanoov" Ride)

Sitting by the PC early in the morning, eating breakfast and sipping coffee, I reconsidered the ride plan for Sunday. I was painfully aware the remnants of Eunice were still blowing, although not at a dramatic speed. I reduced the planned ride distance from a Metric Century to 80 km. And when I started riding from Płochocin railway station westwards, I realized I was gambling on the battery range!

Once, @David Berry told us a story how he had underestimated the headwind and that made him return from his journey by train. When I was pedalling hard upwind with 60/60% of full power Vado assistance (that's a lot!), I observed how the battery range was shrinking. Bear in mind, my Vado batteries are not new anymore, with the #1 holding 558, and the #2 with only 502 Wh (the original rated capacity was 604 Wh). Yet I was determined to keep the same assistance level for the entire ride. In the worst case, I could take a train back! :)

1645392114173.png

A short stop in Tłuste (literally: "Fat Place"). Around two years ago I also had to stop there, giving the obsolete BLOKS electronics a damn, as my Vado froze for yet another time there. Nowadays, the new TCD electronics works perfectly!

I need to describe the area westwards of where I live now. Anything between the Kampinos National Park (at north) and the Apple Tree Land (at south) here is dull and boring. Yet... there are adequate asphalt roads in the area, and it is a flatland. It is hard to find a single gravel road or really bad asphalt there unless you really try! :) Just the ideal environment for a suburban e-bike that the Vado actually is.

1645392593123.png

In Wiskitki, the westernmost of Mazovian towns in that direction (the Land of Łódź is close). I and friends jokingly name the place "Wisconsin", and that name would be far easier for you, too! :) (around 31st kilometre).

I was raining. Not that much.

1645392906563.png

In Szymanów at 43rd kilometre, just after the battery swap. I pedalled for a kilometre unassisted to do the swap at some civilized place. Again, I and friends jokingly call the place "Shimanoov" :)

1645393073447.png

In Pawłowice at 54th kilometre. The picturesque church overlooks the River Utrata from the escarpment. It was a shock for me to discover the river was exactly the one I live by! Here, the river flooded.

1645393353716.png

At last! In the Klimatyczna Cafe in Leszno. The apple/plum pie below was sold to me as a huge portion! I could only eat half of it, and I took the rest with me for later.

1645393475339.png

A lovely place indeed!

1645393758438.png

Carried by the tailwind, Turbo mode and cakes, I collected yet another E-Bike King Of the Mountain title :) (The results are now on the update by Strava).

1645393886997.png

I took that photo just after completing the attempt to prove to anyone on Strava I was not riding a motorcycle! :D

1645393989168.png

The weekend has been saved! And now I hear about yet another storm approaching...

The bottom line: As the battery range shrinks upwind, it grows downwind... :)

Last edited:

Sitting by the PC early in the morning, eating breakfast and sipping coffee, I reconsidered the ride plan for Sunday. I was painfully aware the remnants of Eunice were still blowing, although not with a dramatic speed. I reduced the planned ride distance from a Metric Century to 80 km. And when I started riding from Płochocin railway station westwards, I realized I was gambling on the battery range!

Once, @David Berry told us a story how he had underestimated the headwind and that made him return from his journey by train. When I was pedalling hard upwind with 60/60% of full power Vado assistance (that's a lot!), I observed how the battery range was shrinking. Bear in mind, my Vado batteries are not new anymore, with the #1 holding 558, and the #2 with only 502 Wh (the original rated capacity was 604 Wh). Yet I was determined to keep the same assistance level for the entire ride. In the worst case, I could take a train back! :)

View attachment 114758
A short stop in Tłuste (literally: "Fat Place"). Around two years ago I also had to stop there, giving the obsolete BLOKS electronics a damn, a my Vado froze for yet another time there. Nowadays, the new TCD electronics works perfectly!

I need to describe the area westwards of where I live now. Anything between the Kampinos National Park (at north) and the Apple Tree Land (at south) here is dull and boring. Yet... there are adequate asphalt roads in the area, and it is a flatland. It is hard to find a single gravel road or really bad asphalt there unless you really try! :) Just the ideal environment for a suburban e-bike that the Vado actually is.

View attachment 114759
In Wiskitki, the westernmost of Mazovian towns in that direction (the Land of Łódź is close). I and friends jokingly name the place "Wisconsin", and that name would be far easier for you, too! :) (around 31st kilometre).

View attachment 114761
In Szymanów at 43rd kilometre, just after the battery swap. I pedalled for a kilometre unassisted to do the swap at some civilized place. Again, I and friends jokingly call the place "Shimanoov" :)

View attachment 114764
In Pawłowice at 54th kilometre. The picturesque church overlooks the River Utrata from the escarpment. It was a shock for me to discover the river was exactly the one I live by! Here, the river flooded.

View attachment 114765
At last! In the Klimatyczna Cafe in Leszno. The apple/plum cake below was sold to me as a huge portion! I could only eat half of it, and I took the rest with me for later.

View attachment 114766
A lovely place indeed!

View attachment 114768
Carried by the tailwind, Turbo mode and cakes, I collected yet another E-Bike King Of the Mountain title :) (The results are now on the update by Strava).

View attachment 114769
I took that photo just after completing the attempt to prove to anyone on Strava I was not riding a motorcycle! :D

View attachment 114770
The weekend has been saved! And now I hear about yet another storm approaching...
Whoa...Stefan didn’t finish his cake...

Sitting by the PC early in the morning, eating breakfast and sipping coffee, I reconsidered the ride plan for Sunday. I was painfully aware the remnants of Eunice were still blowing, although not with a dramatic speed. I reduced the planned ride distance from a Metric Century to 80 km. And when I started riding from Płochocin railway station westwards, I realized I was gambling on the battery range!

View attachment 114758
A short stop in Tłuste (literally: "Fat Place"). Around two years ago I also had to stop there, giving the obsolete BLOKS electronics a damn, as my Vado froze for yet another time there. Nowadays, the new TCD electronics works perfectly!

View attachment 114759

View attachment 114761

View attachment 114764

View attachment 114765
At last! In the Klimatyczna Cafe in Leszno. The apple/plum pie below was sold to me as a huge portion! I could only eat half of it, and I took the rest with me for later.

View attachment 114766
A lovely place indeed!

View attachment 114768

View attachment 114769

View attachment 114770

The bottom line: As the battery range shrinks upwind, it grows downwind... :)
Oh for gawds sake, why do I click on Stefans posts when the shops are shut.
..then I remembered there was half a chocolate Orange in the van.
Happy days
Spent the day watching emtb riders I follow on youtube.
McTrail rider, who rides in the most unbelievable Scottish mountains, gets a brand new 5K bike, sets it up for a shot and it falls into the lake.
It survived without any electrical problems, which says a lot for the quality of the waterproofing these days

Last edited:
I think the only reason why Stefan embarks on these rides is to torture us with images of sweet and savory morsels. To make matters worse, he teases us by not finishing his pie then posts more pics of delectable goodies on carts and in showcases. 🥺

@Chargeride - A half chocolate orange beats a ½ eaten container of dates any day of the week.

Its blowing up again, you can hear a big roar in the distance ,all the fence panels are banging away and the lights just flickered.
Dudley certainly wasn’t in a very forgiving mood towards these German ferry goers. Makes you wonder why they set sail in gale conditions.

Much the same in the South Pacific.

Deception Bay

I’m taking a breakfast break (8:30-9:00 am) at the turnaround point of my much-repeated Moreton Bay ride. Time to retrace my route and be back to the car before 12:30.

Ride with GPS

Weather at Deception Bay

The photo at the top of this page was taken ‘below’ the 10km marker on the scale.

David at Deception Bay

Last edited by a moderator:
A funny story from my latest (Sunday) ride!

When I passed the church on the river Utrata and was riding around a cemetery, something strange happened to my e-bike. I stopped immediately and supported myself on my left leg. The bootlace of my right boot got entangled between the chainring and the chain, and it wrapped around between the crank and the chainring!

Fancy how stupid I felt. There was no imaginable way to dismount the Vado as my right foot was literally bound to the crank, some distance from the ground! Even a controlled fall would not let me leave the bike! :D With both brakes on for greater stability, I started working with my right leg. And, to my delight, the boot slipped off the foot! I was saved!

A lesson for me for the future: Tie bootlaces properly! :D

Yup, happened to me on a motorbike, I tipped over onto the stuck side and had to helped by passers by, Embarrassment factor 10, shoelace wrapped around the footpeg.
I actually ziptie the laces on my shoes now, I can still get them on and off with a pull while laced.
Its quite a shock when it happens isnt it, seems such a minor event, but quite incapacitating.

Pretending that it'll rain …

Looking north from Brighton Beach, Brisbane

26 km into ride; 6:45 am; facing north
Foreground: Brighton Beach
Left: Ted Smout Bridge
Centre/Right: Redcliffe Peninsula

Looking south from Ted Smout Memorial Bridge

90 km into ride; 10:55 am; facing south
Left (15km): Port of Brisbane
Centre (5km): Shorncliffe
Right (close): Brighton Beach

Ride with GPS map

• Yellow : 06:45 am
  • Purple : 10:55 am

Last edited by a moderator:
1645455044129.png

The weather gods were good to me today, after very heavy overnight rain the sun was out! The wind was still gusting but not as bad as recent days, it certainly helped to dry the roads! Lots of floods after all the storms but mainly in the fields, you can see how much rainfall we have been enduring from this photo of the River Clyde! (Scotland's second longest river at 109 miles)

1645455362235.png

1645455446992.png

I headed south today for a change and I was greeted with some lovely views, it was hard not to stop to capture the beauty of the landscape despite needing to be home for 12pm!

1645455648778.png

1645455703821.png

The roads here are just made to be ridden, I was in cycling heaven today! Most of the time I like to descend this road as its a real blast with all the twists and turns but today I decided to climb it to enjoy the beautiful descent into the Clyde Valley!

1645456035307.png

I reached Kirkmuirhill and turned at the church which takes you down into the Clyde Valley, I got a nice view of the church as I was climbing out of the valley! The roads here are just awesome, I am so lucky to have such amazing roads only 25 miles from home!

1645456267592.png

10 minutes after I got home and washed the bike a heavy rain shower passed through, it really was my lucky day! February hasn't been very fruitful but days like this sure lift your spirits, this will probably be my only ride this week with more strong winds arriving and rain, sleet and snow predicted!

I got quite a workout today, 35-40mph headwinds are tough even on an e bike and close to 4000ft of climbing sure gets the heart pumping! My main worry is that Spring is going to be late this year, Winter has been very mild and it may well hit us hard in March and even April! I do hope I'm wrong though, time will tell!

Attachments

• elevation_profile38.jpg
    elevation_profile38.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 127
  • trip-83512414-map-full38.png
    trip-83512414-map-full38.png
    445.4 KB · Views: 121
  • 20220221_100443.jpg
    20220221_100443.jpg
    323.8 KB · Views: 117
  • 20220221_100514.jpg
    20220221_100514.jpg