Our Rides in Words, Photos & Videos

Weather Window (Between Dudley and Eunice)

I reluctantly rode shopping in the morning (my usual 15 km). The 35 km/h wind was something easier to handle than Dudley gusts of Thursday.
I looked through the window in the afternoon. What? Clear skies, pretty warm, and my weather app informed me that the wind relented to 17-20 km/h. In a few minutes I was riding to Klimatyczna Cafe on my Vado SL :)

After wasting some time and effort by riding dirt roads (which was totally unnecessary!) I got onto familiar asphalt roads. With 60/60% SL assistance I was pedalling upwind as a madman! ;) Suffice to say I hit my second best time on a 7-km westwards road segment! My own contribution to the ride was more than 50%, and my average leg power was 100 W, which I interpret as a very good workout! (Add to it my consistent cadence of 86).

Reaching Klimatyczna Cafe, I was greeted by the owner Ewa. Bad luck! They had no pączki! Bear in mind, next Thursday is the "Fat" one, and it is a Pączek Day in Poland. Ewa baked pączki yesterday, too but too few of them! :) I consoled myself with a huge piece of Mango Cheesecake!

1645215210649.png

The wind was not helping me on the way back as much as I expected. I was wearing "cold Autumn" clothes, and that would be fine if I took heated socks or insoles with me, which I didn't (bad!) And of course I had to return in darkness.

1645215163850.png

Reaching Klimatyczna Cafe, I was greeted by the owner Ewa. Bad luck! They had no pączki! Bear in mind, next Thursday is the "Fat" one, and it is a Pączek Day in Poland. Ewa baked pączki yesterday, too but too few of them! :) I consoled myself with a huge piece of Mango Cheesecake!

View attachment 114639
Stefan, with all the pictures of that wonderful Polish food and drink you keep posting, it is surprising that you are not as fat as I am. :)

Stefan, with all the pictures of that wonderful Polish food and drink you keep posting, it is surprising that you are not as fat as I am. :)
Pills, no sugar (except the cake during my rides) and as much of workout as I can manage! Unfortunately, this Winter is not doing me good. I stopped walking onto the scales! :D

A few friends from our (ROAG) Red Deer Outdoor and Adventure Social Group hooked up for a ride late Thursday afternoon. The plan was to loop around Heritage Ranch and then continue on to Riverbend for an early evening ride along the ski trails.

The overcast conditions weren’t ideal for shooting either still images/video and this is likely the only hint of sun that we caught a glimpse of.

View attachment 114613

The weather conditions quickly changed overnight as we reached a high of + 4C during the ride and much of the open hardpack/ice had become soft, slush filled puddles. Fortunately, the single track under the forest canopy was still in fine shape but in the end, we decided to forgo Riverbend as the open areas of snow there would have been too soft for the group to ride on. The exception might have been Ian (from Manchester) who was the only one in our foursome riding a fattie.

Ian is the only English bloke that I know of who gets super pumped about Alberta winters. He recently took up both disciplines of downhill and XC skiing. He’s hiked and snowshoed in the mountains and is clearly accomplished at riding the local winter trails. He’s even taken a keen interest in our WHL Rebel’s ice hockey team and was enthralled when he attended his first game. I’m embarrassed to say that I have yet to make even one appearance.

View attachment 114614
View attachment 114616View attachment 114617View attachment 114618View attachment 114619

It seemed colder than the -3C we were riding likely due in part to the wind and the occasional flurries of sleet that rained down on us. Overall though it was a pleasant outing with the group considering that winter in February can be brutally harsh here. Speaking of which the forecast is calling for another blast of arctic air to funnel into the area over the weekend which means another nasty thaw/freeze cycle will be bestowed upon us and the trails will, once again, become frozen ruts.

View attachment 114620

A wake up call this morning signalling that spring appears to be so much farther than just around the corner. 😒

View attachment 114621

Great trail, but now Im just down to sulking we didnt get enough snow to frost an Eskimos moustache.

Wasn't aware that Europe was being slammed by not one but two storms. Seems like the people in charge of naming the storms are dipping into the Harry Potter books for inspiration. Either way, hope everyone is staying safe.

Our weather here in northern Virginia has been the proverbal "hot and cold", flip flopping at random, raising eyebrows as well as interest in getting out of the house and onto the bikes. As luck would have it, the Washington DC ebike group had a 27 mile ride this past weekend out in West Virginia (another state altogether that shares a mountainous border and some rather large rivers) with Virginia) to visit Harper's Ferry, a National Park where the great Potomac River met the just-as-great and pehaps more famous Shenandoah River, both bodies of water named by the native American Indians who are now long gone. A "special secret" entrance into the park was promised by the ride organizer, an entrance where only hikers and bikes were allowed. This, and the day's warm weather, was a great incentive to toss the bike on the car's rack and enjoy an hour's drive to Almost Heaven West Virginia. (A not so subtle nod to the late John Denver's well known song "County Roads").

View attachment 114602

As luck would also have it, the temps unexpectantly soaring into the stratosphere that day prompted a good crowd of 22 riders. Most in attendance had eagerly shed the puffy winter jackets for something sleeker and more "cycle worthy". What we didn't anticipate was our meeting site was fully several degrees (Fahrenheit) colder than what we had at home, which had us collectively digging in our cars for any warmer jackets and gloves we might have brought with us. I did OK in that department, although I wish I had thought to bring a pair of warmups to wear over my cycling pants. We all did a small jig to ward off the chill while we waited for the start, but once off we settled down into a pace on the public paved roads that warmed the legs and cranked up the 'ol internal furnace.

The majority of the first loop kept us on the smooth pavement until a mile from our destination where we merged onto the lesser traveled gravel road. This pathway ran alongside the northern branch of the Potomac River towards the National Park, a more sedate and scenic route. We took time to explore part of the workings for a now abandoned hydroelectric water plant perched alongside the river. Per Google: "The Potomac Power Plant was an innovative small hydroelectric facility that operated from 1899 to 1991, originally as part of a wood pulp mill (built 1888), and solely as a power house after a fire in 1925. Significant extant equipment/machinery in the plant includes a c.1905 Dayton Globe water turbine, and a 1925 Woodward water turbine governor. The building is also symbolic of industry in Harpers Ferry, as it occupies the site (and possibly the partial foundations) of Harpers Ferry National Armory buildings dating to 1834 and 1853, and contains reused structural materials from various Armory buildings as well as from an 1848 Harpers Ferry cotton mill (later a flour mill)."

There wasn't much left but a few traces of rusted machinery, the sluce gate, a silted canal, and lots of concrete and old rock stonework decorated in the bright colors of modern graffiti artwork. Still, it gave our collective group a breather, plus a chance to poke around the old works, and admire the headlong rush of the river on its way towards the merge ... or confluence as it is known... with the equally rushing Shenandoah.
View attachment 114604

Our route also shared company with a major railroad line whose track surface had been laboriously carved into the rock ledges along the river, high enough to prevent any of the regular flooding from affecting the commercial train traffic, and well above our heads as we negotiated our careful way along our increasingly rough gravel road below. The recent cold had frozen the water dripping down the cliffs into several lovely waterfall sculptures of sparkling white ice. The recent warmth hadn't touched the solid, unmoving cascades, nor had the sun's rays which was still a bit too low in the sky to find their way into the darker recesses of the rockface high above the train tracks and our hidden road. I stopped to take a picture of one of the more elaborate ice waterfalls. The train tracks are far above and out of sight in this photo. For me to get closer to the frozen waterfall would have meant climbing with both hands and feet up the very, steep embankment, which I was not prepared to do, even in optimum weather and in climbing gear.
View attachment 114600

Within moments our group had successfully threaded to a conclusion the silent backwater "secret road" which dumped us without further ado into the mad hustle and bustle of civilization, directly into an overcrowded Harper's Ferry National Park filled to the brim with crowds of people eager to escape to anywhere just to get out of the house. We have been held captive by a rather vicious winter cold snap for the entire month of January that not only sent everyone's heating bills soaring through the roof, but drove everyone stir-crazy while we waited in our homes for some kind of weather warm-up to release us back outside. Even the ice cream parlors in town were open, and doing a booming business. Fancy that!

The massive traffic jam of cars on the road and people thronging the sidewalks caused our group to split into smaller factions in order to negotiate our way to the selected lunch spot. It was a lovely grassy area overlooking the confluence of the rivers and the remaining mementos of centuries old stone pilons crossing each river, pilons once supporting long destroyed roads that were just a few of the many sad casualties of the 1860s War Between the States. Our group stayed for a while enjoying lunch and conversation (it was several degrees warmer here and the sun had come out making all those craving ice cream happy to indulge) before a few of us headed off to go back while the rest added a 5 mile "tour" to their ride.

The return was a rather challenging hilly route. Challenging not only to our winter weakened legs but also to our bike batteries. Happily, despite one missed turn quickly corrected, and one unexpected tour on a very muddy yet very scenic, very quiet private road that shortcut our travel time on the busier paved road, our breakaway group managed to return in excellent time with big smiles (and depleted batteries). High 5s were shared all around to celebrate the successful, fun return trip together. The chill had been waiting for us, however, so we were anxious to be on our way home after our final round of socializing and goodbyes.

Since then my cycling has been confined in my living room, my bike on the trainer, and a YouTube video taking me along with an adorable, enthusiastic group of French cyclists through a sunny warm French countryside. Quite a change of scenery from West Virginia with narry a frozen waterfall anywhere to be seen.
Potomac river, you couldn't be taken seriously in England saying that unless you had a worn out cowboy hat and a large grey beard, while spitting into a bucket.

A few admissions…

Dairy herd beside the Brisbane Valley Rail Trail

Beside the Brisbane Valley Rail Trail
Vernor, SE Queensland
  1. I was wrong about the 'distant hills in clear outline' (post #5182 above). This morning was misty and even the 'near hills' were hazy. Too bad!
  2. I'm not half as brave as this photo implies: there was a hefty new barbed wire fence between me and these ladies!
  3. This is embarrassing, as it relates to the aforementioned barbed wire fence – new and bright so it could not pass unnoticed. I had the GoPro running and, as I spied this herd of milkers (breed identification, anyone?) emerging from an underpass beneath the rail trail, I pulled over to the left, dropping the seat and running gently straight into the fence to keep the final shot steady. Yes, I had ignored the bleeding obvious and impaled my good friend Johnny Watts on the most vicious of barbs. (Thank you Schwalbe, Tannus Armour and Panaracer Flataway for saving the day!)

Last edited by a moderator:
A few admissions…

View attachment 114651
Vernor, SE Queensland
  1. I was wrong about the 'distant hills in clear outline' (post #5182 above). This morning was misty and even the 'near hills' were hazy. Too bad!
  2. I'm not half as brave as this photo implies: there was a hefty new barbed wire fence between me and these ladies!
  3. This is embarrassing, as it relates to the aforementioned barbed wire fence – new and bright so it could not pass unnoticed. I had the GoPro running and, as I spied this herd of milkers (breed identification, anyone?) emerging from an underpass beneath the rail trail, I pulled over to the left, dropping the seat and running gently straight into the fence to keep the final shot steady. Yes, I had ignored the bleeding obvious and impaled my good friend Johnny Watts on the most vicious of barbs. (Thank you Schwalbe, Tannus Armour and Panaracer Flataway for saving the day!)

Great trail, but now Im just down to sulking we didnt get enough snow to frost an Eskimos moustache.
It finally stopped snowing this afternoon and I finished shoveling whatever fell since it began. Fortunately, it was the light fluffy stuff not the heavy wet goop like folks receive in the PNW which, btw, is best suited for making snowballs and snowmen. ☃️

IMG_20220218_1626021.jpgIMG_20220218_1626332.jpg

Yes, I had ignored the bleeding obvious and impaled my good friend Johnny Watts on the most vicious of barbs.
Aha. That's how you get flats in Australia! :D

I got sand where my eyes used to be.
That's why goggles such as 100% Accuri2 have been invented :)

P.S. It's 6:11 am and I can hear local Volunteer Firemen are called for an action! That will be a hard day, with the strongest wind to be blowing at noon...

Potomac river, you couldn't be taken seriously in England saying that unless you had a worn out cowboy hat and a large grey beard, while spitting into a bucket.
Naw. The Potomac were a MidAtlantic tribe with very much an East Coast vibe. You'd have to say "Chocktaw" or "Arapahoe" if you plan on wearing that cowboy hat and employing the spitoon. We're talking a 2,000 mile (3,200 km) east to west difference in tribes and lifestyles.

A few admissions…

View attachment 114662
Vernor, SE Queensland
Breeds: Blonde = Charlais and brown could be Brown Swiss and dishwater blonde back there might be a Heinz 57 variety but then the calf looks to be part Brama so ... who knows?

I recognise Arapahoe, I bought 'The human beings' music by Adam Ant.

Blackfoot, Pawnee, Cheyenne, Crow
Apache, Arapaho
He actually spoke to ten Native American leaders before releasing the album.

Heading for the Coral Sea …

View from Scarborough Point, Redcliffe Peninsula

Horizon Left: Bribie Island
Horizon Right: Pacific Ocean
Foreground: Scarborough Point

At the northernmost point of my ride up the Redcliffe Peninsula, I took a break at the Rancid Bean coffee van. While watching a gathering of a hundred or so Silver Gulls on the spit, this motor yacht chugged out of Scarborough Boat Harbour and headed off in the direction of the Great Barrier Reef. Lucky them!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back