Our Rides in Words, Photos & Videos

I may have

I may have posted this before, but back in 97 we approached MtHood in a hired jeep on holiday, you could see the snow being blown off the top and it looked very foreboding.
On the radio was a news report that four climbers were stuck near the summit in extreme winds and mountain rescue were on their way up.
It felt terrifying, you felt you could have seen them with good binoculars.
We never heard what happened.

They may have been rescued. Wiki reports for 1997

"On May 19, 1997, Carlos Loria, a solo climber summited successfully with his dog, Buckwheat. While descending the Coe Glacier he slipped and fell 700 feet (210 m), fracturing his neck. After being reported overdue by family, he was found by rescuers with facial lacerations, slight hypothermia, and cervical trauma. He was treated and helicoptered to Portland, but Buckwheat was not at the scene. A month later, the dog appeared at Cooper Spur Inn, some 9.4 kilometres (5.8 mi) ENE across the rugged Mount Hood Wilderness, evidently having survived on snow melt and berries.[26]

On September 6, 1997, an experienced telemark skier, Mark Fraas of Hood River, ascended wearing crampons and carrying skis to the 10,000-foot (3,000 m) level of Cooper Spur, not intending to summit. He slipped and fell more than 1,500 feet (460 m) down the Chisholm Trail and Eliot Glacier. Twenty-five rescuers responded to his partner's cell phone call and found him dead. Retrieval required technical mountaineering skills and equipment. Fraas was not known to have any climbing experience. This was at least the 13th fatality from Cooper Spur. All involve loss of footing, inability to self-arrest, and a long fall over rock cliffs above the Eliot Glacier.[27]"

I recall a group, maybe Texas, that did not do well. There is both altitude sickness and the steep ice/snow can crevasses that leading to accidents.

I have not climbed Hood but have climbed and skied our five volcanoes. St Helens before and skied after eruption. Mt Adams once each way. Mt Baker climbed and partially skied. Rainier climbed. Glacier Peak the most remote and less known climbed. They all can be fun and tedious. One very slow step at a time staring into the white snow! With the occasional OH, CRAP as a foot finds a crevasse or you have to leap one in a single bound!

Any time I'm tempted to buy yet another FS e-MTB, I recollect that very picture:

1644902364779.png

...and my decision is not to ride anything harder than I could meet on my crossing the "green border" between Poland and Slovakia :) It was a hiking trail!

1644902691530.png

On that very trip, GPS navigation suggested taking a shortcut over a mountain singletrack. I immediately said "Pass" and took a longer road way back, even if I had to climb a 19% ascent...

I decided to temporarily forgo the icy conditions that have been plaguing some of my favorite trails until things improve. Instead, I spent part of yesterday morning at Riverbend where I could at least inspect the XC ski runs and assess if the snow was hard packed enough to ride on. It started out as an overcast morning and the wind picked up the moment I departed home. However, it was nice to see the sun peek out at times especially near the end of my ride. The weather forecast is calling for snow right through to the weekend so I’m glad that I was able to get out on the bike before the event.

Web capture_14-2-2022_203935_ridewithgps.com.jpeg
Video of yesterday’s ride along the Riverbend Ring.

Disclaimer: No squirrels were harmed in the making of this video.

GH011425_Moment.jpg

Sometimes it’s the small things that go unnoticed that truly matter.

IMG_1098.JPG

IMG_1099.JPGIMG_1109.JPG

These kids seemed to be enjoying themselves as they made their way up the hill. Glad it was them and not me.

IMG_20220214_1111021.jpg

This snow-covered spot at the riverbank is one of my favorite places to stop during winter rides at Riverbend.

IMG_20220214_1131404.jpg

I finished my outing with a double loop at Heritage Ranch and stopped along the way to visit the neigh(bors). Pardon the pun.

IMG_20220214_1223035.jpg

IMG_20220214_1243482.jpg

IMG_20220214_1243183.jpg

Last edited:
They may have been rescued. Wiki reports for 1997

"On May 19, 1997, Carlos Loria, a solo climber summited successfully with his dog, Buckwheat. While descending the Coe Glacier he slipped and fell 700 feet (210 m), fracturing his neck. After being reported overdue by family, he was found by rescuers with facial lacerations, slight hypothermia, and cervical trauma. He was treated and helicoptered to Portland, but Buckwheat was not at the scene. A month later, the dog appeared at Cooper Spur Inn, some 9.4 kilometres (5.8 mi) ENE across the rugged Mount Hood Wilderness, evidently having survived on snow melt and berries.[26]

On September 6, 1997, an experienced telemark skier, Mark Fraas of Hood River, ascended wearing crampons and carrying skis to the 10,000-foot (3,000 m) level of Cooper Spur, not intending to summit. He slipped and fell more than 1,500 feet (460 m) down the Chisholm Trail and Eliot Glacier. Twenty-five rescuers responded to his partner's cell phone call and found him dead. Retrieval required technical mountaineering skills and equipment. Fraas was not known to have any climbing experience. This was at least the 13th fatality from Cooper Spur. All involve loss of footing, inability to self-arrest, and a long fall over rock cliffs above the Eliot Glacier.[27]"

I recall a group, maybe Texas, that did not do well. There is both altitude sickness and the steep ice/snow can crevasses that leading to accidents.

I have not climbed Hood but have climbed and skied our five volcanoes. St Helens before and skied after eruption. Mt Adams once each way. Mt Baker climbed and partially skied. Rainier climbed. Glacier Peak the most remote and less known climbed. They all can be fun and tedious. One very slow step at a time staring into the white snow! With the occasional OH, CRAP as a foot finds a crevasse or you have to leap one in a single bound!
Ive got it on video somewhere, I'll dig it out to remind me.

Great video, Charger! I can really see the advantage of the fat-tire thing... even with FS, as someone who's riding on 2.3s, I find myself squeezing imaginary brakes when I see some of those ruts and the bigger rocks in your vids!

Don't you hate coming around a blind curve and seeing half the trail washed away-- and a nice, big drop where it used to be? I still get psyched out a lot in those situations... if I just keep my eyes focused on where I want to go, I'm usually fine, but the temptation to look down-- and have my front wheel turn where I'm looking, which is exactly the wrong direction-- is very strong. Fighting my inner lemming!

Just stunning. Love the English countryside... I may have told this story before, but backpacking in 1975, I remember hiking as fast as we could to get to the only little pub for miles around, and getting there at 9:52-- a good eight minutes before drinking-up time, so we thought we were fine. Unfortunately, the barman said, "Sorry, lads. Very strict here, can't serve you." (Or something like that.) Despondent, we thanked him politely, left and began walking away...

When we were about 30 feet from the door, we heard a voice shout to us, and spun around to find an eight-pack of half pints flying through the air towards us! We caught it, and looked at the bartender with astonishment. "No law against giving it away," he laughed, and sent us on our way with a hearty wave.
Its called target fixation I think and Im terrible for it

I decided to temporarily forgo the icy conditions that have been plaguing some of my favorite trails until things improve. Instead, I spent part of yesterday morning at Riverbend where I could at least inspect the XC ski runs and assess if the snow was hard packed enough to ride on. It started out as an overcast morning and the wind picked up the moment I departed home. However, it was nice to see the sun peek out at times especially near the end of my ride. The weather forecast is calling for snow right through to the weekend so I’m glad that I was able to get out on the bike before the event.

View attachment 114370
Video of yesterday’s ride along the Riverbend Ring.

View attachment 114379

Sometimes it’s the small things that go unnoticed that truly matter.

View attachment 114371
View attachment 114372View attachment 114373

These kids seemed to be enjoying themselves as they made their way up the hill. Glad it was them and not me.

View attachment 114374

This snow-covered spot at the riverbank is one of my favorite places to stop during winter rides at Riverbend.

View attachment 114375

I finished my outing with a double loop at Heritage Ranch and stopped along the way to visit the neigh(bors). Pardon the pun.

View attachment 114376

View attachment 114377
View attachment 114378
That vid is just beautiful, so flowing, a perfect trail.
You guys make me laugh, you mention me going slighty near a bit of a drop, and you ride in the forest with hungry bears.

Back