Our Rides in Words, Photos & Videos

Fat Thursday, or Visiting Magda
(I kindly ask you not to discuss the recent war here. I can do nothing about it, and am not willing to talk about it on the e-bike forum).

Apart from sad news in the media, this Fat Thursday was a beautiful day. Sunny, temperature up to 11 C, dry. Even a 25.5 km/h (15.8 mph) southerly wind could not spoil it! The Pączki Day of Poland! The harvest for bakers and confectioners! My daughter Magda gave me a phone call early, and explicitly asked me to bring some faworki (angel wings) to her on the day. I had some thinking if I should take the "big" Vado or Vado SL, and decided on taking the latter to give me more workout (so I could burn all these calories!) :) It took me under 1 hour to cycle to Klimatyczna Café.

1645736457829.png

The Cyclist's Lunch :) The most classic of the Polish pączki. Deep fried, glace pączek with rose jam filling.

1645736615290.png

Left to right: Oven baked pączki (less fat!), deep fried rose jam ones, deep fried cherry jam ones, faworki.

1645736735176.png

Faworki (Angel Wings). These are fried
only for Fat Thursday in Poland!

There were only 25 minutes left, and 11 km to be pedalled upwind. You can imagine how hard I was pedalling! I took an aggressive, low, forward position and pedalled at high cadence, only peeking on the clock and the power meter :) The ride took me just 20 minutes!

1645737001244.png

Magda with her faworki
❤
Meanwhile, we both determined she had been able to lose the SIM card for her phone! It required me to ride via the Main Square of Błonie to get the card duplicate from the phone company :) So I'm going to see Magda on Saturday again!

1645737973369.png

It was quite an interesting experience with the Specialized Mission Control app feature known as Smart Control. I entered the distance to be ridden = 50 km, possible elevation gain = 200 m, and I demanded I wanted to return with 10% of combined main and extender batteries. I only use Smart Control in case I have battery energy excess, and never use it for mountain rides. This time, SC proved itself very well with significant assistance, growing towards the end of the ride, and it still left me with 33 of 150% of combined batteries charge!

P.S. I was thinking about getting the SIM card so much that I completely forgot riding down to the nearby Artezan Brewery for some ales and imperial stouts!

Last edited:
went for a 4.5 mile ride to try out a new bbq place as the one I usually go to was closed. Silly me did not check the hours got there at 11:30 and they don't open till 12. so road around in a part of town I have not been to before or at least not parts of it. Meal was 23.00 for this. I can understand beef as its expensive but coleslaw is not. people who bought sandwiches got a huge serving of fries.
66742745804__9BC0654B-E6CE-4A8C-9953-449BE8793775.jpeg
IMG_3990.jpeg
IMG_3992.jpeg
IMG_3993.jpeg
IMG_3994.jpeg
IMG_3996.jpeg
IMG_3997.jpeg
IMG_3998.jpeg

(I kindly ask you not to discuss the recent war here. I can do nothing about it, and am not willing to talk about it on the e-bike forum).

Apart from sad news in the media, this Fat Thursday was a beautiful day. Sunny, temperature up to 11 C, dry. Even a 25.5 km/h (15.8 mph) southerly wind could not spoil it! The Pączki Day of Poland! The harvest for bakers and confectioners! My daughter Magda gave me a phone call early, and explicitly asked me to bring some faworki (angel wings) to her on the day. I had some thinking if I should take the "big" Vado or Vado SL, and decided on taking the latter to give me more workout (so I could burn all these calories!) :) It took me under 1 hour to cycle to Klimatyczna Café.

View attachment 115171
The Cyclist's Lunch :) The most classic of the Polish pączki. Deep fried, glace pączek with rose jam filling.

View attachment 115173
Left to right: Oven baked pączki (less fat!), deep fried rose jam ones, deep fried cherry jam ones, faworki.

View attachment 115176

There were only 25 minutes left, and 11 km to be pedalled upwind. You can imagine how hard I was pedalling! I took an aggressive, low, forward position and pedalled at high cadence, only peeking on the clock and the power meter :) The ride took me just 20 minutes!

View attachment 115177
Magda with her faworki
❤
Meanwhile, we both determined she had been able to lose the SIM card for her phone! It required me to ride via the Main Square of Błonie to get the card duplicate from the phone company :) So I'm going to see Magda on Saturday again!

View attachment 115181
It was quite an interesting experience with the Specialized Mission Control app feature known as Smart Control. I entered the distance to be ridden = 50 km, possible elevation gain = 200 m, and I demanded I wanted to return with 10% of combined main and extender batteries. I only use Smart Control in case I have battery energy excess, and never use it for mountain rides. This time, SC proved itself very well with significant assistance, growing towards the end of the ride, and it still left me with 33 of 150% of combined batteries charge!

P.S. I was thinking about getting the SIM card so much that I completely forgot riding down to the nearby Artezan Brewery for some ales and imperial stouts!
Magda looks happy with her angel wings 🤗.

Back in December I posted a link to a video of animated tracks and pop up photographs of bicycle day trips in the countryside around my city of Christchurch, NZ. That post is here. I have appended another trip to that video.

This trip is 80km long and incorporates a ride along much of the Summit Road which extends along the rim of one side of an ancient caldera which forms Lyttelton Habour, the port that services Christchurch. From Gebbies Pass, at the southern end of the Summit Road, the ride descends to Motukarara and joins the popular Little River Rail Trail back into the CBD.

On that particular day, the cloud layer was low enough to obscure some of the peaks. Once back on the plain, the sun came out!

_HX09137.jpg

_HX09148.jpg

_HX09231.jpg

Rapaki-Gebbies.jpeg

This latest trip begins 11mins 40 secs into the video.

The direct link to the video is:
Day Trips

Cheers

Last edited:
went for a 4.5 mile ride to try out a new bbq place as the one I usually go to was closed. Silly me did not check the hours got there at 11:30 and they don't open till 12. so road around in a part of town I have not been to before or at least not parts of it. Meal was 23.00 for this. I can understand beef as its expensive but coleslaw is not. people who bought sandwiches got a huge serving of fries. View attachment 115192View attachment 115191View attachment 115193View attachment 115194View attachment 115195View attachment 115196View attachment 115197View attachment 115198
I think that the Sasquatch would have left hungry. But how was it, ignoring the price!

It had to happen: the first non-cycling day of the year. Miserable weather was the culprit: 200 mm of rain and just one degree separating the day's minimum and maximum temperatures (22º–23ºC).

But look on the bright side: it wasn't so dreadful that I had to resort to a mug of Bovril to warm me up! Instead, what I did was bake a very fruity fruit load (400g of various bread mixes; 200g assorted 'quality' dried fruits) to share with Jen – toasted and spread with smidgen too much butter.

Faworki would have been appreciated.

It's now 6:00pm, ominously dark outside and sluicing down a torrent. And the power’s failed.

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread has gone downhill in my opinion. Cold , snowy bad riding weather here. Instead of wanting to ride I end up being hungry instead.🍩
Then you may thank me for not taking a photo of my ebike after a grocery trip with sourdough baguette sticking out of the saddle bags. A bit of France in the land of the diesel trucks. :)

It was a chilly, windy ride.

I think that the Sasquatch would have left hungry. But how was it, ignoring the price!
the meat is great quality but as bbq nothing outstanding. the coleslaw was really good. they had deviled eggs with Burt end on them that were really good.

Moreton Bay Cycleway : Sandgate Beach, Brisbane…

The video ends where the cloud photo in post #5221 (two pages back) was taken.

View attachment 115115
Yet another gorgeous day for a ride along the seaside, David. 👍It appears that ignoring the ring of a bike bell is not exclusive down under. I particularly notice that ringing late tends to confuse some people and, at times, ringing it often and early doesn’t arouse any reaction at all.

Magda SIM Card Ride

1645804394044.png

I eventually decided to deliver a new SIM card to my daughter today. Something was telling me I should better ride Vado 5.0... And that was a smart decision! I knew the battery #1 should be good for a 42 km ride at 60/60% assistance. And I was fighting a mighty westerly headwind. Suffice to say my average speed upwind was 24 km/h (still very good) but I was returning at cruising speed often exceeding 40 km/h, so hard I was pushed by tailwind! The final average speed was 27.3 km/h, which is a rare result as for my rather slow rides.

On the return, I did not forget to ride up the Artezan Brewery for ales and imperial stouts :)
This thread has gone downhill in my opinion. Cold , snowy bad riding weather here. Instead of wanting to ride I end up being hungry instead.🍩
So I will not show the photo of ales and stouts. You might become thirsty! :D

Last edited:
Yet another gorgeous day for a ride along the seaside, David. 👍It appears that ignoring the ring of a bike bell is not exclusive down under. I particularly notice that ringing late tends to confuse some people and, at times, ringing it often and early doesn’t arouse any reaction at all.
I have lived in some very small communities for most of my life. I can only think of one with a walking trail, and it wasn't used by bikes or many people. So, when I've been in urban areas walking on the trails, it takes a bit to figure out what some of the non bell sounding noises are. I mean, one was just a loud clicky noise and in no way sounded like a bell.

I try.

View attachment 115171

View attachment 115173

View attachment 115176

View attachment 115177
Magda with her faworki
❤

View attachment 115181

Im just going to check the diabetes stats in Poland, it might be bad, but worth it.

Back