Our Rides in Words, Photos & Videos

at least something today looks good.not as much as last year but my wife has been out of the loop a lot.
Image-2.jpg

2021: The Year of Group Rides and Friendships

Many of us e-bikers are "lone wolves"; it is because it is still not easy to find e-biking peers, and often traditional cyclists do not accept us riding with assistance when they need to fight solely with their muscle power. Okay, David Berry rides with his Tyred Old People and Richard Alaskan has been admitted to a road cycling club; still, such situations seem to be rare. And yes, I had many rides together with my brother Jacek in 2020 because I used to share my e-bikes with him. Yes, I rode often with @Jerzy Bańkowski, a long time trusted traditional cycling friend. The real breakthrough happened on February 28th, 2021, a truly winter day, with snowing, cold and strong wind. Before I will tell you the story, I need to focus on the importance of the social media: Facebook and Strava (especially as many of you are against them!) :)

There is a FB cycling fan-page for Warsaw cycling enthusiasts called Zarowerowana Warszawa (or, Biked Over Warsaw). A person who I call Przemek The Gravel Man announced a group ride there. I contacted him, and we met on a train to Warsaw on that Sunday. When more people came to the ride, they asked Przemek what I was, to which he honestly replied: "I don't know the man; we've just met on the train" :) And so it began.

1641116396237.png

Ania the Roadie (left), Staszek The Roadie (center). Przemek was taking this photo. I got enchanted with the sense of camaraderie within that group! They carried my heavy Vado onto an overpass (I felt ashamed). Ania was fascinated with my gear, like, the heated shoe insoles and socks. And when we had to cycle for many kilometres upwind, the group was drafting behind me. Out of sudden, it turned out a Metric Century was an easy and so natural distance! (There were more group rides with the Merry Gang afterwards).

1641119698277.png

My brother Jacek organized a two-day "Heritage Ride", when we were tracing our ancestors to five generations back (Holy Cross and Lesser Poland voivodships). The trip ended with a broken rear hub in the Giant Trance E+.

Then there was June 13th, 2021. I announced a group ride on that FB group. A female by the name of Justyna was the only person to join me and Jacek on a ride around the Kampinos National Park.

1641117587791.png

When we started our ride, I was leading the pack to determine the speed at which we would be riding. I could hear a soft voice from behind "Could we ride a little bit faster, please?" :) And it has turned out that the natural speed for That Woman was 30 km/h. Upwind! Justyna turned out to be a raw cycling diamond that just needed to be cut properly and put in a medallion...

1641118293281.png

Just a week later (6/19/21), on a group ride with @Jerzy Bańkowski, Justyna and Adam. It was an exceptionally warm day!

1641118826678.png

6/27/21. Famous "Wycinka Wolska Ride", or the best group ride of 2021! Here, Ania The Roadie, Jacek, Justyna That Woman. (I actually rode for 156 km on that day).

1641120640416.png

7/24/21. At the farthest point of my first (and only) Imperial Century Ride.

Vacation 2021 was split into the SW Poland/Czech Republic mountain trip with Jacek, and my solo rides in SE mountains of Poland (August 2021).

1641120121092.png

Six days of adventures with my brother, and a lot of Czech lager and Pilsner beer drunk together! Epic climbs!

1641120351312.png

Five days of riding in demanding mountains, with some trips in Slovakia.

1641120749920.png

Przemek The Gravel Man (left) has managed to attract me to group gravel rides. (With a properly set up Vado SL, I am now in shape to be riding with his groups to my utmost satisfaction! Full power Vado is just too heavy for that kind of rides). And yes, the gravel buddies fully understand the benefits of e-bikes!

I mentioned the role of Strava earlier. Yes, it is important. We all see the achievements of other friends, and are trying to match them. Also, my new riding buddies look to my Strava achievements and the results they find there made them convinced I am a right person to ride together with them! :)

2021 was the most eventful cycling year of my life. Not sure whether I would find so much time for e-biking in 2022! I wish you the best rides in this new year!

Last edited:

Many of us e-bikers are "lone wolves"; it is because it is still not easy to find e-biking peers, and often traditional cyclists do not accept us riding with assistance when they need to fight solely with their muscle power. Okay, David Berry rides with his Tyred Old People and Richard Alaskan has been admitted to a road cycling club; still, such situations seem to be rare. And yes, I had many rides together with my brother Jacek in 2020 because I used to share my e-bikes with him. Yes, I rode often with @Jerzy Bańkowski, a long time trusted traditional cycling friend. The real breakthrough happened on February 28th, 2021, a truly winter day, with snowing, cold and strong wind. Before I will tell you the story, I need to focus on the importance of the social media: Facebook and Strava (especially as many of you are against them!) :)

There is a FB cycling fan-page for Warsaw cycling enthusiasts called Zarowerowana Warszawa (or, Biked Over Warsaw). A person who I call Przemek The Gravel Man announced a group ride there. I contacted him, and we met on a train to Warsaw on that Sunday. When more people came to the ride, they asked Przemek what I was, to which he honestly replied: "I don't know the man; we've just met on the train" :) And so it began.

View attachment 110862
Ania the Roadie (left), Staszek The Roadie (center). Przemek was taking this photo. I got enchanted with the sense of camaraderie within that group! They carried my heavy Vado onto an overpass (I felt ashamed). Ania was fascinated with my gear, like, the heated shoe insoles and socks. And when we had to cycle for many kilometres upwind, the group was drafting behind me. Out of sudden, it turned out a Metric Century was an easy and so natural distance! (There were more group rides with the Merry Gang afterwards).

View attachment 110866
My brother Jacek organized a two-day "Heritage Ride", when we were tracing our ancestors to five generations back (Holy Cross and Lesser Poland voivodships). The trip ended with a broken rear hub in the Giant Trance E+.

Then there was June 13th, 2021. I announced a group ride on that FB group. A female by the name of Justyna was the only person to join me and Jacek on a ride around the Kampinos National Park.

View attachment 110863
When we started our ride, I was leading the pack to determine the speed at which we would be riding. I could hear a soft voice from behind "Could we ride a little bit faster, please?" :) And it has turned out that the natural speed for That Woman was 30 km/h. Upwind! Justyna turned out to be a raw cycling diamond that just needed to be cut properly and put in a medallion...

View attachment 110864
Just a week later (6/19/21), on a group ride with @Jerzy Bańkowski, Justyna and Adam. It was an exceptionally warm day!

View attachment 110865
6/27/21. Famous "Wycinka Wolska Ride", or the best group ride of 2021! Here, Ania The Roadie, Jacek, Justyna That Woman. (I actually rode for 156 km on that day).

View attachment 110869

Vacation 2021 was split into the SW Poland/Czech Republic mountain trip with Jacek, and my solo rides in SE mountains of Poland (August 2021).

View attachment 110867
Six days of adventures with my brother, and a lot of Czech lager and Pilsner beer drunk together! Epic climbs!

View attachment 110868

View attachment 110870
Przemek The Gravel Man (left) has managed to attract me to group gravel rides. (With properly set up Vado SL, I am now in shape to be riding with his groups to my utmost satisfaction! Full power Vado is just too heavy for that kind of rides). And yes, the gravel buddies fully understand the benefits of e-bikes!

I mentioned the role of Strava earlier. Yes, it is important. We all see the achievements of other friends, and are trying to match them. Also, my new riding buddies look to my Strava achievements and the results they find there made them convinced I am a right person to ride together with them! :)

2021 was the most eventful cycling year of my life. Not sure whether I would find so much time for e-biking in 2022! I wish you the best rides in this new year!
Geez, you did have great memorable year with good company! Maybe next time I'm in Poland maybe I'll tag along for a ride. Had plans to cycle the German and Polish sections of Eurovelo 10 in 2020, then in 2021, but Covid got in the way.

Jan 1 means ride 1.
After lunch we hit -12C, so I got dressed into appropriate attire and headed out.

View attachment 110790
The ride stats - note the comment about phone.
Handlebar mounted devices tend to not agree with sub zero temperatures.

View attachment 110788
The route itself - red from Strava and Blue drawn in by me (approximation at best).

View attachment 110798

Some MUPS are cleared by city Parks and Rec department but not much cleared up on Nose Hill itself.
View attachment 110789 View attachment 110792 View attachment 110793 View attachment 110794 View attachment 110795

Where the light was flat - I really had to concentrate on my line, as it was getting difficult to stay on the packed "walking lane".
Sunglasses came off and goggles (amber lenses) were employed. They stayed on as the temps were dropping a bit.

I have copied @DaveMatthews and @Prairie Dog with the neoprene calf wraps - works well to protect (and maybe insulate a bit) the battery.
Also, my Christmas rear light worked well. I was wondering if the saddle rail clamps would remain tight or not but first test was passed with flying colours.

View attachment 110796 View attachment 110797

Tomorrow heading out again, but that will be with Louis (formerly @LouLouLePew but I don't think he's on EBR anymore) and there will be an adult beverage or two involved.
As he rides skinnier (but studded) tires on his Explore Pro, we'll have to stick to paths and roads.
we need an envy emoji.

1641135660050.png

First ride of 2022 and it was a real belter, loved every minute on awesome roads! The wind was howling at times but it was dry so I wasn't letting the wind stop me from having fun in the sun on a very mild January day! It was quite a workout for my first ride of 2022, lots of big climbs and big descents! Ever since they put lovely new tarmac on this amazing descent the roads have been wet, please give me a dry day to enjoy it even more! 😛

1641136102798.png

I was hoping to climb this beast today but its so exposed so I didn't chance it!

1641137464667.png

It was so good to see the sun out today, it sure was a welcome sight!

1641137591546.png

1641137675741.png

Normally at this time of year I wouldn't go near this descent but with the mild temps and new tarmac it was a real joy this time! Its around 20% this one, the camera really does lie! ;)

1641137870324.png

A good start to 2022, I hope it will be a good year! Next Sunday I have a hospital appointment for a colonoscopy, hopefully all will go well and my cycling won't be affected! Happy New Year everyone!

Attachments

• elevation_profile25.jpg
    elevation_profile25.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 117
  • trip-80850535-map-full25.png
    trip-80850535-map-full25.png
    455.6 KB · Views: 131
  • 20220102_095924.jpg
    20220102_095924.jpg
    546.5 KB · Views: 127
  • 20220102_095929.jpg
    20220102_095929.jpg
    647.1 KB · Views: 127
  • 20220102_101000.jpg
    20220102_101000.jpg
    567.7 KB · Views: 125
  • 20220102_101008.jpg
    20220102_101008.jpg
    607.1 KB · Views: 128
  • 20220102_101016.jpg
    20220102_101016.jpg
    235 KB · Views: 119
  • 20220102_101443.jpg
    20220102_101443.jpg
    697.6 KB · Views: 130
  • 20220102_101449.jpg
    20220102_101449.jpg
    309.3 KB · Views: 141
  • 20220102_101506.jpg
    20220102_101506.jpg
    619 KB · Views: 132
  • 20220102_101530.jpg
    20220102_101530.jpg
    201.8 KB · Views: 115
  • 20220102_104820.jpg
    20220102_104820.jpg
    370 KB · Views: 124
  • 20220102_104848.jpg
    20220102_104848.jpg
    421.8 KB · Views: 122
  • 20220102_104859.jpg
    20220102_104859.jpg
    740.2 KB · Views: 115
  • 20220102_104907.jpg
    20220102_104907.jpg
    642.5 KB · Views: 120
View attachment 110872

First ride of 2022 and it was a real belter, loved every minute on awesome roads! The wind was howling at times but it was dry so I wasn't letting the wind stop me from having fun in the sun on a very mild January day! It was quite a workout for my first ride of 2022, lots of big climbs and big descents! Ever since they put lovely new tarmac on this amazing descent the roads have been wet, please give me a dry day to enjoy it even more! 😛

View attachment 110873

I was hoping to climb this beast today but its so exposed so I didn't chance it!

View attachment 110877

View attachment 110878
View attachment 110880

Normally at this time of year I wouldn't go near this descent but with the mild temps and new tarmac it was a real joy this time! Its around 20% this one, the camera really does lie! ;)

View attachment 110884

A good start to 2022, I hope it will be a good year! Next Sunday I have a hospital appointment for a colonoscopy, hopefully all will go well and my cycling won't be affected! Happy New Year everyone!
Great start to the new cycling year, Rab!

Waiting for the snow, ice, slush, wind and rain to clear from the island before I venture out for my start!

View attachment 110862

View attachment 110866

View attachment 110863

View attachment 110864

View attachment 110865

View attachment 110869

View attachment 110867

View attachment 110868

View attachment 110870
Przemek The Gravel Man (left) has managed to attract me to group gravel rides. (With a properly set up Vado SL, I am now in shape to be riding with his groups to my utmost satisfaction! Full power Vado is just too heavy for that kind of rides). And yes, the gravel buddies fully understand the benefits of e-bikes!

FABulous riding year and write up, Stefan! Hope 2022 is just as wonderful for you!

View attachment 110872

View attachment 110873

View attachment 110877

View attachment 110878
View attachment 110880

View attachment 110884

I can see why you put so many miles on your bike. The countryside is beautiful and the roads just practically beg to be ridden.

I do have a question though. I know you do things opposite as far as roads go on your side of the pond, but why does the arrow in this picture point opposite the curve???

20220102_101443.jpg

View attachment 110872

View attachment 110873

View attachment 110877

View attachment 110878
View attachment 110880

View attachment 110884

Beautiful ride! Wish I was there rather than here in the snow. There are idiots around here that wish for a white Christmas. Statistically it happens every 11 years and they got their wish and more. Biggest dump since 1996! Fingers crossed for the colonoscopy.

+15 C. For me, that value means the Spring has begun... I stop wearing goggles from 60 F up.
That's Arizona weather! I spent 1976/77 at the University of Warsaw on an academic exchange, did not have temps like that at Christmas time! Maybe climate change is not a hoax after all?

I can see why you put so many miles on your bike. The countryside is beautiful and the roads just practically beg to be ridden.

I do have a question though. I know you do things opposite as far as roads go on your side of the pond, but why does the arrow in this picture point opposite the curve???

View attachment 110918
To tell you to stay on your (left) side of the road as you approach the bend.

Northern Europeans are a hardy bunch…It’s well known that Americans are soft…you stop wearing goggles at 15 C…I might put away my windbreaker at 21C
But hey, isn't Minnesota in the United States, too? :D

Once I changed my prescription glasses to Ray-Ban 1972 V (octagon type frame), these protect my sight as good as I often do not need to wear goggles at lower temperatures, either. However, goggles protect the upper part of the face so well, I chose riding in goggles just for my comfort.

Statistically it happens every 11 years
That's Arizona weather! I spent 1976/77 at the University of Warsaw on an academic exchange, did not have temps like that at Christmas time! Maybe climate change is not a hoax after all?
I think the 11-year Sun activity cycle is a better explanation. We had severe winters in Poland in late 1970s, with a culmination in 1978/79 ("The Winter of the Century"). You were lucky to not to be there at that time! Some people used to ski in Warsaw, and I was wearing my goggles during that winter if I just needed a walk!

I can remember a harsh winter in early 1980s when I was playing soccer with other students at -20 C :) The last harsh Polish winter was the 2012/2013, and it lasted for 6 months!

We had -17 C minimum last December, and now it is +7 C, which is the highest temperature since, say, 1994.

Last edited:
For my New year’s day (unexpected) ride it was 21C/70f…today for another ride it was a bone chilling 60f, and IDK how much Celsius. Tomorrow approx 4” of snow…about time I got a rest
At 60F I get my motorbike out, that's our summer weather 🤣
do have a question though. I know you do things opposite as far as roads go on your side of the pond, but why does the arrow in this picture point opposite the curve???
@DiggyGun Already answered and I agree with his answer, but I thought I would check our Highway Code to see what their definition is...

Arrow indicating the direction in which to pass hatched markings and double white lines, or the route that high vehicles should take under a low arch bridge (may be reversed)

There are no hatch markings or low arch bridges on this road 🤣
Beautiful ride! Wish I was there rather than here in the snow. There are idiots around here that wish for a white Christmas. Statistically it happens every 11 years and they got their wish and more. Biggest dump since 1996! Fingers crossed for the colonoscopy.
Thank you!

Back