Our Rides in Words, Photos & Videos

First ride of 2022 done.

Not a big one, as I mainly wanted to check the robustness of the four puncture repairs that I did a few days ago. I also took the opportunity to clean the brake disc pads as they were really squealing during the rain that we had over the last week or so.

Another consideration was, if the repairs failed, I would not have that far to walk the bike home.

As the weather was nice, being dry and bright, but very windy I thought that I’d do a few circuits near where I live.
2B49647E-75F4-4895-BF2D-D4C076546D2D.jpeg

31065EB0-ECD5-4DF1-88C9-F52DA1D06643.jpeg

Mrs DG was at work today but, being quite petite, is not good with the wind, particularly any side wind, especially through gaps as it does cause her to wobble and she doesn’t feel comfortable. In fact, she has been blown over before.

The work on the East West Rail has stopped over the Christmas holiday, but they do seem to be progressing well.
870E4EB0-DA3B-4BA8-92E7-50CCFCB81CCF.jpeg

The weather stayed good until the end of my third circuit, when it started raining. Not too heavy, but a sharp shower which eased off a bit, so I continued the ride and started the fourth circuit. About half way into this the rain came on very heavy, so I then decided to stop after that one and go home.

I’m pleased that the puncture repairs held up as I‘ve not been too successful in the past as they usually fail as I’m pumping them up to the correct pressure. Inevitably, I end up putting a new tube in.

Given that they appear to be OK and barring any further punctures, should these be OK to keep using. If someone can give some guidance on the longevity of puncture repairs, that would be much appreciated as I’m not too experienced riding on patched tubes. FYI, they are Schwalbe Johnny Watts tyres on Schwalbe AV inner tubes which have Muc-Off sealant in them.
D4C8C2CF-C827-46AC-A62B-F439829361ED.jpeg

Now at home with a Nespresso black lungo coffee, I’ve been on Amazon and ordered some Panaracer Flat-Away Kevlar tyre liners, which I shall no doubt struggle to get on the tyres, but then, Mrs DG says I do need to do things to keep me occupied.
BB1AE400-9B9A-4FD3-BF65-E39C73BD0A74.jpeg

We bought our e bikes September 10 and in that time I rode just over 1000 miles. Probably the most spectacular riding I did was in Moab Utah. We hauled our bikes there for a month long stay. I like seeing everybody’s pictures the terrain and background is so different. Rather than post pics from Utah I’m posting two pictures near my house where I ride the most. I live in Western Illinois and while the terrain can be boring it does vary from flat open farm ground to hill, creeks and valleys with dense woods. These two pictures are about 3 miles apart.
F4176A75-79F5-4D0A-A2CE-52A32BC21731.jpeg
E6F53AAF-3215-4764-93D2-5D0A5DF34141.jpeg

omg, got in at 3am.
Couldnt face a ride today, but incredibly warm weather, I went out in a tshirt last night and walked a mile home at 3am, it had sweat stains when I got in!
I would write off any snow, but our weather can 180 in a few hours.

I would call our covid strategy 'dontworryaboudit', all the bars rammed, not a mask in sight and Im not even boosted.
If I stop posting..you know why 😛.
Heres to a great 2022 and a new thread?

New Year 2022 Ride

I woke up on the Mieczysław name-day (1st of January in Poland) with hangover. I could vaguely recollect the online party, during which I made promises such as I would ride to @Jerzy Bańkowski to give him a can of excellent craft ale, that I would continue the ride to meet Dorota and Rysiek etc. You know what alcohol can doto some people, haha! I felt terrible in the morning. I could cancel my promised visits but... "Na kaca najlepsza jest praca!" (Hard work is the best cure against hangover) :D Several minutes past ten I was pedalling from Pruszków. As always, the moment when I actually start riding means all problems are over; I forgot hangover for good very soon. And the pedalling was so easy I reduced the assistance! Oh yes, that was a strong tailwind. I already knew the riding day wouldn't be that easy... Anyway, two hours after the ride start I met Jerzy at his place. The can of ale got successfully transferred to him!

1641066482570.png

The apartment block in which we lived with @Brix in November. The lawn covers the newly finished tunnel of the Southern Beltway of Warsaw. At last!

1641066646053.png

Newly completed bike path along the Beltway allows cyclists to ride for long distance safely and conveniently. It was 40 km from Pruszków "Junkyard by the Tank" to Jerzy's. I think the completed bike path system extends for some 10 km, and it includes both sides of the Southern Bridge.

1641066923632.png

I've been waiting for a long time to see it completed...

After an hour spent with Jerzy, I asked Rysiek if the married couple would still like to see me :) I knew it would be the hard part because of the wind. On the other hand, the perspective of starting the new year with a metric century ride was tempting...

1641067245379.png

I have ridden from the southernmost part of Warsaw to the northernmost one! It would be a nice experience if not strong and cold headwind that was slowing my Speed Vado down to 18 km/h! And I had to economize on the battery. (I actually swapped the battery some 2 km before reaching Rysiek's). Here, the National Stadium, which is a covid hospital now. One of the towers of the beautiful Poniatowski Bridge can be seen at left.

Well, visited Rysiek and Dorota, and naturally I had to be riding home at dark. The excellent lighting of my Vado helped a lot. The temperature was dropping and the wind was blowing... I discovered my warm roadie bibs stopped to be adequate... almost.

1641067923903.png

The night ride.

1641069182977.png

See I have almost "circumnavigated" Warsaw! :)

Last edited:
Starting a new thread at the beginning of the year can cause confusion. Let's avoid that. For many of us this is a 'quiet time' and it takes a while for ride material to become available; however, there are rides to remember and stats from 2021 to reveal.

My understanding is that the number of pages in a thread will not slow down the loading of a chosen page: that depends on the data to be loaded for that page (a different issue).

Remember:
  • You can always click the "1" or "<<" at the top of the current page to find a table of contents for the entire thread.

Link to Page One

• The table of contents on the very first page of this thread looks like this:

Table of Contents on Page One

Jan 1 means ride 1.
After lunch we hit -12C, so I got dressed into appropriate attire and headed out.

20220101_134319.jpg
The ride stats - note the comment about phone.
Handlebar mounted devices tend to not agree with sub zero temperatures.

Strava_Jan1_1.JPG
The route itself - red from Strava and Blue drawn in by me (approximation at best).

Strava_Jan1_2.JPG

Some MUPS are cleared by city Parks and Rec department but not much cleared up on Nose Hill itself.
20220101_134309.jpg 20220101_135916.jpg 20220101_135921.jpg 20220101_135937.jpg 20220101_140805.jpg

Where the light was flat - I really had to concentrate on my line, as it was getting difficult to stay on the packed "walking lane".
Sunglasses came off and goggles (amber lenses) were employed. They stayed on as the temps were dropping a bit.

I have copied @DaveMatthews and @Prairie Dog with the neoprene calf wraps - works well to protect (and maybe insulate a bit) the battery.
Also, my Christmas rear light worked well. I was wondering if the saddle rail clamps would remain tight or not but first test was passed with flying colours.

20220101_141550.jpg 20220101_141601.jpg

Tomorrow heading out again, but that will be with Louis (formerly @LouLouLePew but I don't think he's on EBR anymore) and there will be an adult beverage or two involved.
As he rides skinnier (but studded) tires on his Explore Pro, we'll have to stick to paths and roads.

Starting a new thread at the beginning of the year can cause confusion. Let's avoid that. For many of us this is a 'quiet time' and it takes a while for ride material to become available; however, there are rides to remember and stats from 2021 to reveal.

My understanding is that the number of pages in a thread will not slow down the loading of a chosen page: that depends on the data to be loaded for that page (a different issue).

Remember:
  • You can always click the "1" or "<<" at the top of the current page to find a table of contents for the entire thread.

View attachment 110754

• The table of contents on the very first page of this thread looks like this:

View attachment 110757
OK, Thanks. Since this is going to be a multiyear thread, I expect BIG numbers ... not a dinky 4 or 5,000 posts ... 😆

Jan 1 means ride 1.
After lunch we hit -12C, so I got dressed into appropriate attire and headed out.

View attachment 110790

View attachment 110788
The route itself - red from Strava and Blue drawn in by me (approximation at best).

View attachment 110798

Some MUPS are cleared by city Parks and Rec department but not much cleared up on Nose Hill itself.
View attachment 110789 View attachment 110792 View attachment 110793 View attachment 110794 View attachment 110795

Where the light was flat - I really had to concentrate on my line, as it was getting difficult to stay on the packed "walking lane".
Sunglasses came off and goggles (amber lenses) were employed. They stayed on as the temps were dropping a bit.

I have copied @DaveMatthews and @Prairie Dog with the neoprene calf wraps - works well to protect (and maybe insulate a bit) the battery.
Also, my Christmas rear light worked well. I was wondering if the saddle rail clamps would remain tight or not but first test was passed with flying colours.

View attachment 110796 View attachment 110797

Tomorrow heading out again, but that will be with Louis (formerly @LouLouLePew but I don't think he's on EBR anymore) and there will be an adult beverage or two involved.
As he rides skinnier (but studded) tires on his Explore Pro, we'll have to stick to paths and roads.
Looks like another great day up on the Nose. 👍I expect tomorrow will be much warmer for the both of us before temps once again begin to plummet at the start of the week.

Jan 1 means ride 1.

View attachment 110790

View attachment 110788

View attachment 110798

View attachment 110789 View attachment 110792 View attachment 110793 View attachment 110794 View attachment 110795

View attachment 110796 View attachment 110797

Nicely done sir!

My ride to kick off the new year was uneventful. The plan was to join a small group of friends for an outing along the local trails but the organizer got cold feet and decided to cancel due to the below average temperatures. It was -15C at the time which to most locals isn’t considered extreme so I was a bit puzzled at the decision to nix the ride. Not to be deterred, I headed out regardless for the sole purpose of conducting a bit of trail recon for my brother-in-law who is planning to drive up from Calgary and ride with me on Sunday.

Web capture_1-1-2022_16340_ridewithgps.com.jpegIMG_20220101_1418047.jpg

Not many out and about today with the exception of a handful of skiers. I must confess that that there’s definitely no shortage of XC runs within our park trail system. Great to see that it's just as much a family outing.

IMG_20220101_1414251.jpg

IMG_20220101_1424280.jpgIMG_20220101_1427375.jpgIMG_20220101_1501476.jpg

Even the local skating pond was deserted. I suspect that will all change once the warmer conditions return tomorrow.

IMG_20220101_1434475.jpg

Wow! It looks really cold in other parts of the planet! I'll have to load the bike in the truck and drive up to the local ski resorts to experience what it's like to ride in the white stuff. Looks like a ton of fun! New Year ride along the California coast was amazing as well! Happy New Year to everyone!!

ioWwlDg.jpg

Back