Our Rides in Words, Photos & Videos

Winter Has Come

As I sat down to write about my ride the other day, the scenery outside my window was this..
View attachment 111086
Not my type of cycling weather, although I'm sure it will probably stir the heart strings of those who have an affinity for chosing wheels over skiis when it comes to traversing snowy roads.

No, the prior day, which I chose to herald my first ride in 2022, was much, MUCH warmer, certainly nowhere near as white, and almost perfect in every aspect...except for the rain. Rain which arrived in the early morning and, like an uninvited guest who preferred to overstay their welcome by lounging around drinking coffee all day, completely ignoring the increasing ire of the host to get on with delayed activities while there was some daylight left in the sky. Thanks to the dense gray cloud cover and spotty rain, I was kept off my bike until about 4pm which, at that point, the rain decided it would go annoy some other section of the county, and decamped without a word leaving behind wet, muddy gravel roads and soggy fields. It's departure also left an open window for an abbreviated bike ride

I had been out raking my long gravel driveway earlier, between intermittent showers, smoothing out the increasing number of washboarding that had developed through the last few months of our local drought, and had texted my neighbor asking if he'd like me to rake his driveway as well. My neighbors are up in their 80s and not quite as mobile, so I like to do little favors for them since they graciously allow me to use their barn for my excess hay storage. My neighbor immediately texted me back three words, all YES, all in caps. By the time I'd finished grooming his driveway and filling in the scattering of potholes that had gown into cute little ponds up and down the 1/4 mile length of his lane, the rain had ceased, leaving behind only a gloomy sky full of obese, disapproving clouds. The temperatures were still t-shirt warm and fairly calm, although the forecast promised a dramatic flip flop to bitter cold and snow in less than 10 hours. If I wanted to get in my bike ride before nightfall and before the onslaught of Arctic cold, I had only an hour to do so.
View attachment 111087
I chose a quiet route on the gravel roads that would first take me past a local centuries old cemetery. I wanted to do a quick check for a particular gravestone for the ancestor of a gentleman who lives on the west coast. That little diversion cost me a little under a half hour, but sadly netted nothing in the way of discovering any stone or marker for the gentlemen's elusive many time great grandfather who had died in 1818. (The gentleman was very appreciative of my efforts, nonetheless, which I thought was quite kind of him).

The loss of that half hour, unfortunately, had set me back in the distance I'd selected to ride, but I didn't know that at the time as the day was still relatively decent, and the roads beautifully serene with grand views of the mountains so close by and lots of open fields sporting a clean look from the recent rains. It was a pleasant ride, unencumbered by any need to share the road as I was about the only one out traveling at the time. Only one or two cars passed me the entire 13 miles, both polite and pleasant with waves hello to match mine.

Perhaps I only noticed the first change in the weather because my bike is such a silent creature, gliding along with naught but the near silent whisper of the tires gently caressing the roads. I had been admiring the passing of a multi-field horse farm when I felt the first hint of a breeze. A breeze that seemed to build with every turn of my pedal until the breeze became a series of abrupt gusts, one so vindictive as to shove my bike sideways, causing me no small amount of alarm as I fought to keep upright under the unexpected assault. It was about then that I noticed the declining light was becoming even more declining, further increasing my building sense of alarm. I was over 6 miles from home, but time was definitely not on my side. Overhead the bare limbs and branches of the winter-shorn trees morphed from friendly to sinister as the winds urged them into a bit of a diabolical dance over my head. It was the archtype of darkening nighttime that one finds in spooky tales of goblins, monsters and haunts of centuries long ago. And I was now in the midst of it.

I ducked my head and began to pedal, the pleasure aspect of the ride having dissolved into one far less eager to be outside anymore. As I raced on in the growing darkness, buffeted by the increasingly hostile winds and dropping temperatures, I began to notice lights shining from the windows of houses along the way. People home in the warmth, out of the oncoming cold front, unaware of the lone cyclist passing by in a hurry to put the final miles under her tires and far behind her. I had been smart to dress warm, but my biggest concern was I could no longer clearly see the road. I could only guess at times what lay in front of me in the dim light and had to trust my bike to handle whatever came it's way. We were all alone on the road.

I guess I was fortunate that the prior rains had helped soften the gravel roads to the point where the tires of passing traffic had smoothed out the surface ruts and bumps. At 20mph, cycling alone in the dim twilight under a black cloud covered sky, I was graced with a smooth passage, meeting not one pothole or washboard. Even as the ghosts of every spooky story ever told swirled around me in the wind and dark rustling trees, I kept up my pace, pedaling hard and fast until I reached the paved road a mile from home.

It was completely dark by then, my front light heroically doing its level best to illuminate the road in front of me. Thankfully, the road is an old familiar friend who threw no surprises at me in my final dash towards home. I pulled into my driveway, the warming lights shining through my house's windows welcoming me home. A short hop to the garage to park the bike for the night, open the door to announce I was home, and then a mad dash to the barn to give the impatiently waiting horses their dinner. I was smiling as I tossed an extra heavyweight blanket on each horse for additional warmth in the face of the coming storm, happy that I'd logged my first bike ride of the new year.

In less than 6 hours the snow would begin to fall in the darkness.

Winter had come.
OMG - I love your writing. You have been away way too long.

Haven't been on this thread in a while, just checked the last three pages, great to see what everyone was up to! Charge, always enjoy your ride reports, you unrepentant madman! That can't be the same bike, I thought you'd destroyed it months ago! Stefan, love visiting Warsaw via your reports and photos. Great to see everyone's year-end photos and stats.

I don't have any of that... just a long-delayed report here of another wacky out-the-back-door ride (or "chimney ride") as Stefan put it. This was a really weird trail just outside Griffith Park, I'm calling this ride my "Solstice Ride" or "Max Dirt Max Speed" because it's a route that gets me to the most dirt (5 short trails) and the highest speed (on pavement) over the course of about 14 miles. Real elevation gain for the whole run from my house totaled more like 2,000 feet. (I got Strava turned on late, so the only valid thing from its screenshot is the map.) It starts with six miles of mostly pavement in the Hollywood Hills that includes three short stretches of dirt, all of it fun, but none of it challenging. Then you wind your way up a very steep hill, probably a bit over 15%, to Wonder View drive and go past the gate and bear left onto a gravel road up to a forbidding-looking "No Trespassing" sign which-- if you read carefully-- only applies to cars. (The trail is listed on hiking websites.)

Then, you arrive at probably the most primitive trail in Griffith Park that it's still possible for me to ride, at least at this late stage of play. Though I was right in the middle of the city, I saw not a soul on this ride, and not a single bike track. People do not ride bikes here, and I quickly discovered why-- almost turned back several times, but had no problems. It looks worse than it is... but not much, I just had to walk the bike through the rough spots! It is called the Power Line Road, and is an access road for the high tension lines, supposedly-- but for the last few towers, travel by any four-wheeled vehicle would be impossible.

I'm glad I went, it was a good challenge, but I do not recommend this trail. The pictures are in roughly chronological order, and you can see, even at the start, there's enough loose rock that a rookie like me has to watch downhill speed carefully.

The second shot is a wide of the most difficult part of the trail-- this is about 15% according to hiking project. You can see in the middle-lower-left where the road has washed out several times and been shored up with... random junk.

The third shot is rock garden(ish) number one, which I did not ride down because the rocks were so slick, but did ride up on the way back-- quite easily, to my surprise. Nice job, Moto and Maxxis Ikons!

The fourth shot is rock garden(ish) number two, which was too loose for me. At my skill level? Yeah, I walked the bike both up and down that one. Didn't want to try this someplace that was quite so hard to reach if I got in trouble. (And would have reduced dose of blood thinners slightly, as I did when I skied steeper stuff.)

The fifth shot is the washout, which I had to carry the bike over. Really glad Seeker is only 46 pounds-- tricky balancing on the rocks even so, serious injury would be certain if I had if I lost my footing. (That was where I almost turned around.) Sixth is a shot of the return right before I got back to the gate

On the way back, you go down that steep incline, and I hit my fastest speed yet on any bike-- I know some of y'all go much faster, but for me, holy crap, that was WAY faster than acoustic bike speed. The moto was rock solid. I trust the speedometer more than Strava, because the really fast bit was too brief for GPS to capture, I think. I had to brake to avoid having to pass a car at the bottom of the hill, so I think 45+ speeds are definitely possible here.

Then one more nice, very easy dirt trail descending by the reservoir, and back home. Major workout w/ such a small motor, and pushing and carrying the bike!

View attachment 111083View attachment 111082View attachment 111079View attachment 111077View attachment 111076

View attachment 111075
View attachment 111074
View attachment 111072
The visuals show it would have been a challenge. Well done.

Glorious day today. Sun is out. Its not too cold on the coast - its freaking freezing - literally - in the Central Valley that I just left. Surf is up and the beaches are still churned up pretty good from the recent storms. Funny thing the big waves all look so small in the pictures but they're big suckers in person.

PXL_20220105_173907519.jpg

All set to go out, cracked a tooth, like in half with one bit flapping about attached to the gum, tried to yank it free.
no chance, pain indescribable.
Not actually hurting as long as I didn't mess about with it, so set off.

omg, as soon a the cold air hit it...
Marathon Man level agony.
Retreated and tried to warm it with coffee, same pain!!
It settled down, reduced to eating luke warm soup.
Its booked in for removal anyway, 5days to go, unfortunately its a tooth you can see when talking.
Im going to look like Sam Pilgrim till I can get an implant.
The wife thinks Im on the way to being a hobbo.
I hope thats not an offensive word.

All set to go out, cracked a tooth, like in half with one bit flapping about attached to the gum, tried to yank it free.
no chance, pain indescribable.
Not actually hurting as long as I didn't mess about with it, so set off.

omg, as soon a the cold air hit it...
Marathon Man level agony.
Retreated and tried to warm it with coffee, same pain!!
It settled down, reduced to eating luke warm soup.
Its booked in for removal anyway, 5days to go, unfortunately its a tooth you can see when talking.
Im going to look like Sam Pilgrim till I can get an implant.
The wife thinks Im on the way to being a hobbo.
I hope thats not an offensive word.
I broke my largest molar in two lengthways Last year. As you said, the pain was incredible when it happened and intense whenever you ate anything.

I was really pleased when it was extracted. When the Dentist stops a number of times during the procedure, commenting, “that it’s not going expected”, you know you are going to be a pain later on. It eventually took one and three quarter hours and I had an infection the following two weeks.

But after that all was fine.

I had one pulled and the dentist after changing tack a few times kept speaking in a calm voice until it came out suddenly and he landed on the floor. An extra root (Neanderthal ancestry 4%) Responsible.
After my posts last weekend about my 70 F riding conditions it came back to bite me in the form of 10” of wet snow, 21 C to -5 C overnight. Thousands of trees down in my riding area but I did just get power back Which, of course, doesn’t help the trees but at least I get a shower and shave.

The visuals show it would have been a challenge. Well done.
Thanks... the thing that made me walk the baby rock gardens was the drop on the left, the steep slope on the right, the late hour of the day, and how difficult getting help would have been if something had gone wrong. Exactly the same trail with a grassy meadow on either side, a few friends nearby, and a mild summer day would have made it seem like a much more manageable proposition.
Catalyzt, thats my dream track, a fantastic first of the year ride
Thanks! I should have said, "I do not recommend this trail... for anyone except Chargeride"! Or maybe PDoz & family, but they have plenty of mad trails closer to home.

Sunnier skies?

View attachment 111100
Inland from Brisbane, Queensland
7:20 am; 8 km from home
For the first few days of 2022, the remnants of a tropical cyclone has been wandering around the Coral Sea (South Pacific) off the east coast of Australia. With gales lashing the coast, it seemed wiser to head inland rather than risk a long ride along the coast.

This morning I woke earlier but left late, heading east towards the Great Divide – didn't make it that far, of course! Quiet roads: mostly sealed but some, thankfully, still gravel. After 20 km travelling through flat farmland, my route turned sharply upward. The Homage's gentle assistance was appreciated up Evans Hill to the old hilltop cemetery, a pleasant, but temporary, resting place for me.

Clouds were gathering. Forget them: if it rained – it most certainly would! – the cooling refreshment would be welcomed.

View attachment 111101
View to the south from Evans Hill
8:15 am; 25 km
My route to Evans Hill was through the flat farmland in the above photo. The distant mountains on the right are part of the continental divide: our side drains to the Pacific Ocean; beyond the Great Dividing Range streams form part of the Murray-Darling Basin that empties – assuming water makes its way to the sea – into the Southern Ocean.

View attachment 111102
Tallegalla Cemetery
Looking west from Evans Hill, Queensland

View attachment 111106
Absolutely stunning, David! Great photography-- fantastic resolution and depth-- as well as serious distance and elevation! Dead impressed!

Of course…if she takes the time to write it I’ll take a shorter time to read it. But I did wonder what kind of dogs they were

I did wonder what kind of dogs they were.
They're JJ and Molly? Beautiful dogs!

White Shetlands?

Ours were:
  • 1970s : Gordon Setter X – Yamba (seaside town in New South Wales)
  • 1970s : Rhodesian Ridgeback – Jos (after dog we looked after in NZ)
  • 1980s : German Shepherd X – Raz (abandoned dog from animal shelter)
  • 1990s : Gordon Setter – Milly (my mother's name, Millicent)
  • 2000s : Rhodesian Ridgeback – Zoë (name chosen for our second child; turned out to be Ben)
The first Gordie – a young stray with a bit of something else in her lineage – adopted us when we were camping in our Kombi half a century ago: just turned up one afternoon, was patted and then firmly shut out when we turned in for the night. When we departed the next day, she chased the van down the road (with both Jen and I looking in the rearview mirrors instead of at the road ahead). We stopped: and so Yamba, named after the place where we had been camping, entered our lives. That was 1972. She lived until 1986 and is buried in our garden.

Of course, none of the other dogs could match the first: they had competition from human children!

Jen and I were also employed as staff by several cats. Loved them, too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dave - They are white rough Collies. JJ (on the left) is a puppy at 9 months old and still growing, Molly (on the right) is 6 years and is somewhat small for a Collie. We got her at 2 years of age. They are loving the snow and the cold and will happily spend all day outside in it playing, watching the horses, and sleeping. Very sweet, very intelligent breed.

We originally started with Shelties. Smartest dogs on the planet next to a border collie.

Last edited:
Dave - They are white rough Collies. JJ (on the left) is a puppy at 9 months old and still growing, Molly (on the right) is 6 years and is somewhat small for a Collie. We got her at 2 years of age. They are loving the snow and the cold and will happily spend all day outside in it playing, watching the horses, and sleeping. Very sweet, very intelligent breed.

We originally started with Shelties. Smartest dogs on the planet next to a border collie.
We have have had Shelties for nearly 50 years - they rock!

Sunnier skies?

View attachment 111100
Inland from Brisbane, Queensland
7:20 am; 8 km from home
For the first few days of 2022, the remnants of a tropical cyclone has been wandering around the Coral Sea (South Pacific) off the east coast of Australia. With gales lashing the coast, it seemed wiser to head inland rather than risk a long ride along the coast.

This morning I woke earlier but left late, heading east towards the Great Divide – didn't make it that far, of course! Quiet roads: mostly sealed but some, thankfully, still gravel. After 20 km travelling through flat farmland, my route turned sharply upward. The Homage's gentle assistance was appreciated up Evans Hill to the old hilltop cemetery, a pleasant, but temporary, resting place for me.

Clouds were gathering. Forget them: if it rained – it most certainly would! – the cooling refreshment would be welcomed.

View attachment 111101
View to the south from Evans Hill
8:15 am; 25 km
My route to Evans Hill was through the flat farmland in the above photo. The distant mountains on the right are part of the continental divide: our side drains to the Pacific Ocean; beyond the Great Dividing Range streams form part of the Murray-Darling Basin that empties – assuming water makes its way to the sea – into the Southern Ocean.

View attachment 111102
Tallegalla Cemetery
Looking west from Evans Hill, Queensland

View attachment 111106
Also loved that second picture. But if they won't let in a anti-vax tennis great, what chance do I have! :cool:
:eek:

Beside Queensland country roads…

Cattle Ramp : Thagoona, Queensland

Disused Cattle-loading Ramp
Thagoona, Brisbane Hinterland

Evans Hill, near Rosewood, SE Queensland

Rust-prevention Coating?
Evans Hill, near Rosewood, SE Queensland

Lockyer Valley from Glamorgan Vale Range

Glamorgan Vale Road
near Lowood, SE Queensland

It's a hard climb to the top of the hill overlooking our inland village of Lowood – well, it used to be before ebikes came into my life. From where I'd stopped, the road sweeps to the right past the town's water tank ('reservoir'?), before plunging down to Lowood and a much appreciated visit to the Coffee at the Park café.

Last year I resolved: no pedalling down this hill. The temptation to urge the Homage past another 'click', 60–65–70–75–80 km/h, must be banished from one's mind. It's been done on a road bike in the past and need not be repeated! The descent, beyond where it disappears from our view, is steep and twisty. Go fast and you'll need to brake hard and lean over even harder.

I behaved myself and didn't look at the speed readout until I had a mug of coffee in hand: 68.5 km/h. Drat: why hadn't I kept fingers off brakes for just another five seconds! (Because I'm not riding Rab's Giant; nor am I young anymore.)

Beside Queensland country roads…

I behaved myself and didn't look at the speed readout until I had a mug of coffee in hand: 68.5 km/h. Drat: why hadn't I kept fingers off brakes for just another five seconds! (Because I'm not riding Rab's Giant; nor am I young anymore.)

I had wondered what the recommended speed limit was for Special Needs Senior Extreme Sports eBikers.

We now have the answer: 68.5 km/h -- almost exactly the same as my top speed for the Solstice Run = right about 43 MPH.

Two different continents, two very different hills, two very different bikes, two different riders with very different health issues-- very interesting that we both held back just a bit and wound up with such similar top speeds.

Actually, of course it's just a coincidence -- but I think we should start throwing this number around immediately to wind people up -- as if it's some well-accepted medical, legal, or ethical standard. "Over 55 and you have and diabetes / high blood pressure / history of blood clots / whatever? Well, then you must not exceed 68.5 KPH. What do you mean, how did I come up with that number? Don't be ridiculous, everyone knows this. Extensive testing has been done all over the world..."

😁

Back