Our Rides in Words, Photos & Videos

Next ride coming soon...here's a picture that tells the story!

1640544620781.png

Degrees Fahrenheit can be quite confusing 😊 All I know is 32 F is 0 C and 0 F is -18 C...
P.S. So I was riding at below 20 F today.
and (- 40 degrees F - 32) x 5/9 = - 40 degrees C which is the temperature the two scales are the same and where we are getting close too with the wind chill and I'm getting tired of watching football and and envious of those who can go for a Christmas ride even David who is looking for shade because its too hot

Was just outside doing some snow cleanup and recycling, (Christmas wrapping etc) and i think I could ride in this. Not going to, but with no wind, and dressed properly, it would be ok. I actually lov.e riding when it's snowing and it rarely snows when it's this cold.

View attachment 110195
Got up at 8 a.m. with no after-effects of the Christmas party. Which was strange as we had been drinking the "Russian Standard Gold" vodka and Polish Żubrówka (Bison Vodka) by midnight :) I attribute lack of hangover to all that delicious food served by Renata! :) Yet, a look at the outside thermometer (-10 C) made me worried a little. Will we survive the ride? I woke Jacek at 9 a.m. and we were set at 10:22. (It was only a tad less than -7 C at that time).

Jacek was riding his Giant Trance E+ on 2.6" Ice Spiker Pro tyres, and my ride was the Speed Vado 5.0 modded to the low geared version, on 2" Marathon Winter Plus rubbers. We both were wearing skiing apparel, and I was grateful to Jacek for lending me a pair of Gore-Tex skiing gloves (my brother is a skier, and he owns tons of skiing clothes!)

View attachment 110199
Upon entering the Kampinos National Park (KPN). Majority of our route was off-road. When we rode paved roads, those were covered with hard-packed snow covered with a layer of ice. To my surprise, I preferred the icy roads to off-road paths covered with frozen snow. The reason is, studded bike tyres are designed for riding ice but are not good for snow really (just manageable).

View attachment 110203
At the beginning of the Palmiry Road, which was glistening because of ice. It was the easiest ride segment for me!

View attachment 110204
A short stop at the Palmiry Memorial Site. No hikers, no cyclists! (Yes, some people appeared in the KPN just after noon). Just after, we had to clear a nasty segment of the Palmiry Rd. paved with rough cobblestone. As the cobbles were almost completely covered with snow, riding there was easier than ever!

View attachment 110205
I did never subscribe to MTB riding for that day! And it was only worse because my brother inadvertently got onto a hilly MTB singletrack soon after! (I survived although I had to walk my Vado uphill twice: too icy).

View attachment 110206
The icing on the cake: Visiting the former Warsaw Pact Atomic Warfare Command Centre (secondary). The facilities were created in 1980s and completely bulldozed in 2017. A Nature reservation was created, and the underground structures are bat habitat nowadays.

View attachment 110207
The reservation is also for rare plant species (ones that grow on sand).

View attachment 110208
The only remaining overground structure now sports a bat mural.

View attachment 110209
Soon afterwards we got out of the national park. Both I and Jacek were surprised
how close the atomic command was not only to the civilisation but also so close to Jacek's place (and it was his first time there!)

View attachment 110197
The handlebar remote on my Vado stopped working! Therefore, I set the Eco assistance to 50/50% and it was appropriate for the whole ride, leaving a lot of charge in the battery. Yet, our average speed was pretty low (as you might expect from a Winter off-road trip).

View attachment 110210
The day before: Jacek replacing a worn 11t cog in the cassette of my Vado.
Looked like superb outing in the snow for both you and Jacek. 👍Man does that HiVis outer wear ever stand out in contrast against the white snow. Kudos fellas!

IMG_20211226_123213485.jpg

IMG_20211226_125701255_HDR.jpg

IMG_20211226_144414154_HDR.jpg
IMG_20211226_144629737_HDR.jpg

Photos of our drive home up I-5 back to the fair isle of Whidbey - I need to bring that feeder in and thaw it out so the hummies don't starve! Well have to do that nightly for the next week or so!

Last edited:
View attachment 110235

View attachment 110236

View attachment 110240
View attachment 110241

Photos of our drive home up I-5 back to the fair isle of Whidbey - I need to bring that feeder in and thaw it out so the hummies don't starve! Well have to do that nightly for the next week or so!
Looks like folks in the PNW are getting hit by some of that Arctic air flow. BTW, love the third image down of the snow-covered homes overlooking the water. That says it all.

For all of you snow lovers you wouldn't care for central Virginia (US)...I had a pleasant short ride today in a breeze-less 70 F/21 C. Just 1250 miles this year (1/2 of last year's) while babying a shoulder operation which maybe needs to be repeated. Maybe I ought to look into that Russian vodka.

IMG_0703.JPG

Bah, you're supposed to aim for the powder, it's more fun ya buch a wimps!

IMG_20211226_154259145_HDR.jpg

Johnny 5's for the win!

IMG_20211226_155530627_HDR.jpg

It was supposed to be a quick spin around the neighborhood to test some new parts...ended up riding about an hour and a half it was so much fun!

IMG_20211226_164102430.jpg

Bah, you're supposed to aim for the powder, it's more fun ya buch a wimps!

View attachment 110252

Johnny 5's for the win!

View attachment 110253

It was supposed to be a quick spin around the neighborhood to test some new parts...ended up riding about an hour and a half it was so much fun!

View attachment 110254
To be fair - this is your bike's natural habitat. Mine, not so much. Looks like you probably waited until the wind died down which was smart

Deserted city…

Kurilpa Bridge, Brisbane

Kurilpa Bridge, Brisbane
10:50 am; 89 km

Almost no one was going to work in the city today. Perfect chance to ride without the crowds!

The cycleway, just above the river (bottom right) was just as deserted. The photo was taken in the late morning (shadows nearly vertical), so any sensible cyclist would have been at home in front of an air conditioner by then.

Silly me: I had another 21 km (one hour?) of pedalling in the full sun before I'd be back at the car. Because I was following a regular route, I did know exactly how far and how long it would take. Also, my Bosch Nyon's range predictor indicated that I could make it back and still have enough power left to do the ride all over again: I chose to up the pedal assist level!

It’s 3:20 pm now and rain is pouring down: a real summer thunderstorm. Time for another coffee and wedge of Christmas cake.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back