Our Rides in Words, Photos & Videos

Brought my ti fatty that I built for utility in the very steep hills of the Carmel/Pacific Grove/Monterey Area. It joins the higher capacity Envoy thats here for dedicated cargo duty. Was on my way to the chowder house to pick up dinner (Doordash Schmordash who waits in the living room when this is the route?). Spotted a squadron of pelicans surfing the headwind that I wanted to try and get in frame. No luck but a good picture, anyway.

Able to carry only 4 25L+ panniers, it carries a lot less than the midtail, but 2wd means I can keep up with the auto speed limit (20-25 mph) even up a long grade. I designed it for this area and it eats the hills alive. Something like three years later its finally home.
PXL_20210929_013039030.jpg

I haven’t posted a ride lately because I’ve just been doing mostly neighborhood rides with not much to photograph. Got out today and hit some parks and a greenway. The first pic after the map is to show my new rack and trunk bag that I got last week. Decided the trunk bag suited my needs. Started out looking at panniers but didn’t like how they mounted on the crazy rack that comes with the Trek 8s. Panniers are overkill for what I need anyway. It was nice to get out and ride somewhere besides doing laps in the neighborhood.
974E7CCC-890F-423D-A067-0F1B930622C1.jpeg
BA080234-CC2C-465F-A1E9-A998D74ABBA3.jpeg
2BC1912B-0BB6-4D80-B7BD-F267F4972891.jpeg
0C9D9A70-144E-4ADB-888A-F70CE240180B.jpeg
21C1A638-F148-4607-869C-D54D03956F17.jpeg
743F19DE-6A4A-4C87-82C5-C02502C8E3CC.jpeg
382C9D3A-DBF9-469D-B695-E2AC2A09017E.jpeg
A86944B7-1B9C-4367-8AB8-B8F67D6C73FD.jpeg
0381C033-0953-4005-8B2A-227B5B06887F.jpeg
7E58A602-3FF8-46A2-A445-94E7B3DD098E.jpeg

I haven’t posted a ride lately because I’ve just been doing mostly neighborhood rides with not much to photograph. Got out today and hit some parks and a greenway. The first pic after the map is to show my new rack and trunk bag that I got last week. Decided the trunk bag suited my needs. Started out looking at panniers but didn’t like how they mounted on the crazy rack that comes with the Trek 8s. Panniers are overkill for what I need anyway. It was nice to get out and ride somewhere besides doing laps in the neighborhood.
View attachment 101824View attachment 101825View attachment 101826View attachment 101827View attachment 101828View attachment 101829View attachment 101830View attachment 101831View attachment 101832View attachment 101833
I like the composition of the photos. Maybe I would have left the bike out of that covered bridge image ;)

My problem with trunk bags are that I swing, well, barely swing my foot over the back of the saddle. I was having trouble clearing the bag and so switched to panniers. Well, I split the set and have one pannier on each bike. I don't find the weight disparity, side to side, an issue.

View attachment 101824View attachment 101825View attachment 101826View attachment 101827View attachment 101828View attachment 101829View attachment 101830View attachment 101831View attachment 101832View attachment 101833
Those bridges are instant american to me.
Wooky hollow

Emergency stop…

Clarendon Road Dunny, Brisbane Valley Rail Trail

Brisbane Valley Rail Trail
Clarendon, QLD, AU
Inside the dunny's walls is an old twenty-litre barrel with a loose toilet seat plonked on top, and tied to the wall with fencing wire is a supply of non-biodegradable (weatherproof!) loo paper, viz. a copy of Truckin' Life magazine. (Surely, no one wants to see the peep photo I took over the top of the 'wall'!)

Trailside Trivia:
  • Dunny: common (but not coarse) name for an outdoor toilet.
  • The eucalypt shading this seat of ease is a Corymbia torelliana, a beautiful tree with a proclivity for shedding branches on the unsuspecting who tarry in its shade. Looks like one just missed; better luck next time.
  • Eucalypt: common (non-scientific) name for three genera of 'gum trees': Angophora, Corymbia and Eucalyptus.

R
My ride today was basically a road trial run.
I made adjustments to my derailleur, on a ride few days back My bike fell on the derailleur side also I have been mostly off road riding and have not deployed the chain to the littlest gear on the groupset. I noticed that the chain was not engaging on the littlest one.
On my trial run I came across a familiar rider a retired doctor named Karl he is 81 years old and rides daily. He is riding his non motored bike today that's why I snapped a photo of him and bike.
I then pedaled on the park, staying on asphalt path and arrived at a popular place for catching samoan crab where I saw a two people doing just that.
Feeling satisfied that the adjustment i done was doing what it should do I head in the direction of a supermarket near my house.
Where I met Hawaiian Mike, his job is to sanitised shopping carts. He is very amiable and happy of what he does. I befriended him last year and sometimes buy him a 'bento'.
He watches over my bike while I'm in the market.
The other photos are random that I took on my stops to check the derailleur
So far everything is fine.
Rome, your seat angle concerns me..do you often slide off the back?

How could I have missed this weird but very interesting FatTi bike. California!!!!
The flat apparatus on the forward rack, batt ery?
For the hub motor?
Is this handmade from Boston?
The brick on the front rack is a 5a/320w weatherproof charger. Which I will probably use at Sea Otter next week at Laguna Seca if I can make it home in time to go. The bag hanging from the handlebars has an extra molle-attached bag to its front that contains the cordage (and watt meter so you can monitor progress) for said charger. The core bag - a Condor Deployment Bag - is what holds the controller for the front motor, and it has grommeted holes here and there inside and heading outside to facilitate unobtrusive cable paths. Black cables running across a black bag hides a multitude of sins.

And yes its a completely custom build, frame-up. I did a writeup on it here

Recovered from the ride to the peak district, it was a mix of 4 hours of hill riding and a slight bug I caught off the grandson, which included several bathroom visits per hour.
The trail starts in Castleton, Peak District and is a proper bike legal path, though insanely difficult to ride, its called the Limestone Way and casually meanders past a 1000yr old Castle Keep on the hill.
Dont' be fooled by this serene image, it soon turned into a nightmare of loose rocks and steep ascent.
Which of course I loved.
The Castle Keep is on top of the cliff to the left.

pev1.jpg

This shot gives a better picture of the terrain, magical I would call it.

pev2.jpg

After this challenge it was relatively easy going on an old quarry road that had long been washed off the hillside.

pev3.jpg

Unusually for me I made it to the top, and gave a glorious view of the hills leading off both ways into the distance.
pev5.jpg

pev6.jpg

pev7.jpg

You can ride a bridle path across the top of these for miles, feels like the top of the world Ma.
pev8.jpg

I was led astray by this sign, which way do you think bikers go?
pev11.jpg

Peak english was observed, they are probably all saying sorry to each other and if I'd have run the postmann over, he would have apologised.

pev12.jpg

And finally the Castle Keep, not big , but plenty old and its got a spiral staircase, what more can you ask.

It was a warm but overcast day when we set out on this country road outing from the town of Sundre. 25 km west lies the small community of Bearberry which is nestled in the foothills of southwest central Alberta. A Chinook arch was present throughout the day and the sun finally made a brief appearance near the return leg of the trip. We would ride a loop along back roads while making a side trip to this tiny village. The roads were virtually absent of traffic the entire trip with the exception of the odd wandering bovine.

Web capture_30-9-2021_222117_ridewithgps.com.jpeg

IMG_20210930_1251218.jpg

IMG_20210930_1448049.jpg

PXL_20210930_204236740.jpg

Fall colors were present throughout the ride albeit mainly in shades of yellow nevertheless we couldn’t think of a better way to pass the time. With only a few more fair-weather weeks remaining, we want to take advantage of what’s in store and remain hopeful that the mild conditions continue to linger a little while longer.

IMG_20210930_1517539.jpg

IMG_20210930_1533197.jpgIMG_20210930_1226397.jpg

Along one of the township roads, we spotted this rustic log entryway with a charming log abode peeking out from behind it.

PXL_20210930_181459550.jpg

This bucolic setting is somewhat reminiscent of what I remember seeing on, The Little House on the Prairie albeit on a grander scale.

IMG_20210930_1446588.jpg

“Across the grassland, the lone tree stands as a sentinel”

IMG_20210930_1446060.jpg

These two lovely equines anxiously trotted up to the fence and seemed more interested in the trail mix that I was snacking on at the time.

IMG_20210930_1316228.jpg

@Chargeride - The tiny hamlet of Bearberry is named after the same shrub that grows wild in the vicinity and is loved by humans and bears alike. Not much here but if you happened to play tourist for a day or two you could….

partake in the fine cuisine and beverages at the local saloon.
IMG_20210930_1422011.jpg

…or take in one of the social events at the community center.

IMG_20210930_1438250.jpg

...and after a full day scanning for bears, we could put you up at this relaxing ranch style B & B! ;)

IMG_20210930_1328264.jpg

This rustic horse hitching rail in front of the saloon made a fine spot to rest our steeds. Unfortunately, the establishment was closed for the season. :(

IMG_20210930_1423034.jpg

We came across these curious small grass mounds in a field and wondered how they came about. Anyone in the know care to enlighten me?

IMG_20210930_1301164.jpg

IMG_20210930_1158087-panorama.jpgGH011044_Moment.jpgIMG_20210930_1244177.jpgIMG_20210930_1316536.jpgIMG_20210930_1350011.jpgIMG_20210930_1402322.jpgIMG_20210930_1524023.jpg

Emergency stop…

View attachment 101890
Brisbane Valley Rail Trail
Clarendon, QLD, AU
Inside the dunny's walls is an old twenty-litre barrel with a loose toilet seat plonked on top, and tied to the wall with fencing wire is a supply of non-biodegradable (weatherproof!) loo paper, viz. a copy of Truckin' Life magazine. (Surely, no one wants to see the peep photo I took over the top of the 'wall'!)

Trailside Trivia:
  • Dunny: common (but not coarse) name for an outdoor toilet.
  • The eucalypt shading this seat of ease is a Corymbia torelliana, a beautiful tree with a proclivity for shedding branches on the unsuspecting who tarry in its shade. Looks like one just missed; better luck next time.
  • Eucalypt: common (non-scientific) name for three genera of 'gum trees': Angophora, Corymbia and Eucalyptus.
Ohhhhhhhhh, gortex toilet paper! :eek:

What we have here on the farm, or used to, is corn cobs. Using that inculcated the notion of a college education.
Ah yes, the old corn cob reference. I used outhouses at many farms in my life but no corn cobs were ever present, thank goodness!

Sheesh man! It all makes sense now.
2fat looks good I wouldn't doubt the off road capability.
With a few 2fats you could probably put enough munitions on it and invade a small country.

@Prairie Dog thanks for the lovely music and beautiful autumn scenery. Grass mounds? my guess is water had probably collected in that particular area of the grass land.
Thanks. It does appear that water likely has run off, accumulated and settled at some point in time in that spot. I’m more intrigued at how these mounds were formed in such symmetrical clusters. One theory is frost heave as freezing winter temperature and water combined to form these so called, ‘hummocks'.

BTW, what brand of fenders are installed on your Bulls? They look vaguely similar to Mudhuggers.

Mind your head!

The Falling Tree, Redcliffe

Moreton Bay Cycleway
Redcliffe Peninsula
I've ridden this beachside stretch of the Moreton Bay Cycleway for around fifteen years and watched this mature tulip tree bend over backwards in its attempt to block our progress.

Another year before the council workers attend the scene with orange hazard tape and chainsaws?

It was a warm but overcast day when we set out on this country road outing from the town of Sundre. 25 km west lies the small community of Bearberry which is nestled in the foothills of southwest central Alberta. A Chinook arch was present throughout the day and the sun finally made a brief appearance near the return leg of the trip. We would ride a loop along back roads while making a side trip to this tiny village. The roads were virtually absent of traffic the entire trip with the exception of the odd wandering bovine.

View attachment 101923

View attachment 101924

View attachment 101928
View attachment 101939

Fall colors were present throughout the ride albeit mainly in shades of yellow nevertheless we couldn’t think of a better way to pass the time. With only a few more fair-weather weeks remaining, we want to take advantage of what’s in store and remain hopeful that the mild conditions continue to linger a little while longer.

View attachment 101933
View attachment 101935View attachment 101936

Along one of the township roads, we spotted this rustic log entryway with a charming log abode peeking out from behind it.

View attachment 101937

This bucolic setting is somewhat reminiscent of what I remember seeing on, The Little House on the Prairie albeit on a grander scale.

View attachment 101940

“Across the grassland, the lone tree stands as a sentinel”

View attachment 101941

These two lovely equines anxiously trotted up to the fence and seemed more interested in the trail mix that I was snacking on at the time.

View attachment 101942

@Chargeride - The tiny hamlet of Bearberry is named after the same shrub that grows wild in the vicinity and is loved by humans and bears alike. Not much here but if you happened to play tourist for a day or two you could….

partake in the fine cuisine and beverages at the local saloon.
View attachment 101943

…or take in one of the social events at the community center.

View attachment 101944

...and after a full day scanning for bears, we could put you up at this relaxing ranch style B & B! ;)

View attachment 101945

This rustic horse hitching rail in front of the saloon made a fine spot to rest our steeds. Unfortunately, the establishment was closed for the season. :(

View attachment 101946

We came across these curious small grass mounds in a field and wondered how they came about. Anyone in the know care to enlighten me?

View attachment 101947

View attachment 101948View attachment 101949View attachment 101951View attachment 101952View attachment 101953View attachment 101954View attachment 101955
I'll have you know the squirrels around here can be pretty dodgy in packs.
Love the vid and cool tunes.

Back