Our Rides in Words, Photos & Videos

Beautiful scenery, CR!

There's so much written about ebikes as car substitutes. Few have any problem with that, but your adventures are where cars cannot – or shouldn't – venture: wilderness made accessible to all. Love it!

Beautiful scenery, CR!

There's so much written about ebikes as car substitutes. Few have any problem with that, but your adventures are where cars cannot – or shouldn't – venture: wilderness made accessible to all. Love it!
That shot from the ridge over the cliff looks like where bikes shouldn't go either...at least not my bike. EEK.

No stefan, one user here, who is actually English, explained it's a generational thing.
As much generational as the left hand side traffic and the steering wheel on the wrong side...

Besides, I am from the continental Europe that solely uses metric units. (This is why we do write "km/h" instead of "kph". "k" itself is for 1000 not for the kilometre).
-----------
Let me tell you a story.
On my first UK trip, I and my manager were about to travel by coach from one London airport to another. When I saw the "60" distance on the road-sign, I thought it was kilometres and assumed we had a plenty of time. Not. It was miles. I realized that when I saw speed limit signs. We were barely on time at the other airport.

Last edited:
I would like to ask the British participants of this thread to inform other users what the official unit of measure for road distances and speed in the United Kingdom is.

I would like to ask the British participants of this thread to inform other users what the official unit of measure for road distances and speed in the United Kingdom is.
I have been driving on our roads since 1975, in 1975 the signs were imperial...in 2021 they remain imperial! Maybe we can just drop this now and get back to cycling...

My new power switch arrived yesterday from the Netherlands! Such a brilliant service from https://www.e-bike-parts.com/en/giant-e-bike-parts/

It took me 5 minutes to fit the new switch and it had the added bonus of a rubber sleeve which covers the bullet connector, this should make it more water tight! I tried a quick trip round my local scheme and it worked flawlessly, the buttons seem much more precise now!

The absolute worst of the whole thing is threads.
There were dozens of Imperial standards and local standards and industry standards.
Now its all metric, you replace an exact part, but the threads dont fit.
Sometimes you can long spanner them on.
I reckon half of the UK is held together with slightly stripped threads.
Don’t go down the thread route, you’ll never come back.

I have walked it..a field of washing machine sized boulders blocks most of of the trail. .

My question is.
Do you measure bike tyres in mm height?
It seems that 26 27.5 and 29 inches are an industry wide standard

My question is.
Do you measure bike tyres in mm height?
It seems that 26 27.5 and 29 inches are an industry wide standard
The ERTRO standard is metric. The tyres in my SL are 37-622, and the ones in Vado 6.0 shall be 51-622. Tyres in Trance E+ are 66-584. All in mm and no chance for any ambiguity.

28 and 29 inch tyres are confusing. Both refer to 622 mm wheel diameter but the former use skinnier, and the latter take fatter tyres.

Yes thats the problem with watching/reading so much american/british centric media.
But I see our journalists visiting large European ebike industry events and the talk is always tyre size in inches, are we just converting..or are there different rim sizes from the mainland.
Im confused.
Its always inches wide as well..but the rims are in mm!!

Yes thats the problem with watching/reading so much american/british centric media.
But I see our journalists visiting large European ebike industry events and the talk is always tyre size in inches, are we just converting..or are there different rim sizes from the mainland.
Im confused.
We recognize the inch sizes of tyres as it is easier to understand 27.5 x 2.6" than 66-584. Typically, tyres have three sizes moulded on them: ERTRO, Imperial, and French.

Interested bystanders: or nothing much else to do?

Brisbane Valley Rail Trail, Fairney View

Brisbane Valley Rail Trail
Fairney View
8:05 am; 13 km
Saturday mornings = regular group ride with my TOP (Tyred Old People) friends. We start at 9:00 am from Lowood which is an hour up the trail from our home, so I manage a ride before the ride… and, of course, another ride after the ride!

The first photo is before the group ride, and those below are of a few of my friends having fun at the Cooragook Trestle Bridge which is the furthest point. Almost everyone (about twenty of us) rides an ebike.

Cooragook Bridge, Brisbane Valley Rail Trail

Cooragook Bridge, Brisbane Valley Rail Trail

Brisbane Valley Rail Trail
Cooragook Bridge
10:05 am; 45 km
Note the 'safety' platforms on the old bridge: nothing new about workplace safety concerns!

Last edited by a moderator:
We recognize the inch sizes of tyres as it is easier to understand 27.5 x 2.6" than 66-584. Typically, tyres have three sizes moulded on them: ERTRO, Imperial, and French.
Ok this is my last post on the subject.
The inch size is also gloriously irrelevent..nothing actually lines up to the measurement.
If I buy a motorcycle innertube for my 26x4 fat tyres, I have to buy a 21 inch tube

Oh, screw that! Actually, when I first saw the THREAD issue I was thinking in terms of cotton/etc threads and thread-count and thought to the British also do that differently! :)
Other old measurements include;
- Bushel ((liquid / dry)
- Gill (liquid)
- Furlong (length)
- Grain (liquid)
- Peck (liquid)
- Dram (liquid)
- Rod (length)
- Cord (volume)
to name but a few. There were endless different types.

Back