Our Rides in Words, Photos & Videos

Screenshot_20210729-155111_Strava.jpg

20210729_142435.jpg
20210729_150923.jpg
20210729_154419.jpg
Mmmmmm!

Absolutely stunning, warm, cloudless sunny (after the morning fog burned off) day to ride Lopez Island! My "mechanic" again borrowed his buddy's Rad City, so there would be no need of waiting for him at him tops of hills 😜. It's not the greatest bike in the world, but, it got the job done!

It seemed like every cyclist and their mother was going to the San Juans today - I'd hate to see what it's like on a summer weekend! Lots of ebikes too - a little more than half, from what I could see. They ran the gamut from fancy high-end Bulls to a Fuji e-cross city, a couple of Gocycle folders, the Rad City, and other assorted brands. It was wonderful to see the variety of ebikes and riders out enjoying this spectacular day!

The ferry out of Anacortes was a little over an hour late departing, due to said fog, but, finally, after some willy-nilly loading ("Bikers! Use your kick stands if you got 'em! Otherwise, tie up somewhere!), We were on our way. Sadly, masks are required everywhere except on the car deck again, due to our rising Delta variant Covid numbers. Thanks a LOT, antivaxxers 😠.

IMG_20210729_103102382_HDR.jpg

IMG_20210729_110541166_HDR.jpg

The ferry landing on Lopez is a lonely little spot on the north end of the island; nothing else around for miles. Our first stop after a steep-ish uphill off the landing and a nice downhill coast after, was Odlin Park, about a mile from the dock:

IMG_20210729_113042584_HDR.jpg

After enjoying the view, we hit the road again, heading south and east to Spencer Spit State Park. We carried our Park Pass with us, so we wouldn't have to pay the $10 daily use fee. At $30 per year, it's a great deal! After parking and locking the bikes, we hiked the short trail down through the woods and out to the end of the spit:

IMG_20210729_120108281_HDR.jpg

This is all the room boats have to pass between the end of the spit and the little Island (and, that's my "mechanic", providing perspective 😉). Unfortunately, though we did see some pretty big ones plowing through as we walked out, there were none while we were at water's edge:

IMG_20210729_121048191_HDR.jpg
Here's the view back across the spit. There are a decent amount of boat moorings available offshore (you need a dinghy to land), and it's a very popular spot:

IMG_20210729_121117432_HDR.jpg

Back on the road, continuing south, we spotted some "wildlife"😉:

IMG_20210729_123946592_HDR.jpg

They did NOT like having their photo taken, and trundled away, all in a huff, right after I got this shot!

We continued south for a bit more, then crossed the island and turned back north again along Fisherman Bay Road, towards Lopez Village, the only town in the island.

Unfortunately, there wasn't a lot open in the village, which was surprising, considering the number of cyclists and cars about. Thank goodness, the ice cream shop was open, though masks are required inside again:

IMG_20210729_141014845_HDR.jpg

Pretty views up the west coast and towards the village at the mouth of Fisherman Bay:

IMG_20210729_140642210_HDR.jpg
IMG_20210729_132859006_HDR.jpg

After walking around the village a bit and enjoying a toffee coffee ice cream, it was time to head back to the ferry dock. We had been watching the Washington State Ferry website and knew the boat was still running nearly an hour late, so we took our time getting back to our starting point.

Loaded with the same precision ("Come on, people, let's go! To the right! Stack 'em up! Stack 'em up!") by the same deck hand as our outbound journey, we scooched in, waited for the vehicles to load, and were on our way back to Anacortes:
.IMG_20210729_154236074_HDR.jpg
This is just the front "row" - the rest of us were squeezed in amongst the cars.

A vehicle shot - quarters were quite tight, and many cars and trucks were left waiting at least 2 hours for the next boat! :

IMG_20210729_154258412_HDR.jpg

Here's the ride:

1627600001501~2.jpg

20.63 miles, according to Mi Fit. The 🤬🤬🤬 Giant Ride Control app lost contact with the bike at the beginning of the ride, and failed to record! Always have a back up recorder!!!

The great PNW is such a jewel of a place, especially on sunny summer days! So grateful we get to live here!

Attachments

• 1627600001501.jpg
    1627600001501.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 198
Last edited:
How about your pedals? Are the studs long enough?
Thank you for asking! Stamp 1 Large are one of the largest pedals available. It is only me often taking my feet too closely to the crank (and then I'm correcting their position when my shoes squeak against the cranks). I'd welcome a narrower Q-factor...

Pickle Juice. It's like a miracle cure. Been using it for years. I am very susceptible to muscle cramps. Always starts with my hands. If I don't drink some pickle juice at that point it goes to my feet and legs. One time I woke up with my legs so cramped I had to crawl to the fridge to get the pickle juice. The stuff literally works in seconds. ( gotta be DILL pickle juice ) If I go on a long bike ride I have to take some with. 👍👍👍

I just buy larger jars of dill pickles and throw away the pickles. Cheaper.

Absolutely stunning, warm, cloudless sunny (after the morning fog burned off) day to ride Lopez Island! My "mechanic" again borrowed his buddy's Rad City, so there would be no need of waiting for him at him tops of hills 😜. It's not the greatest bike in the world, but, it got the job done!

It seemed like every cyclist and their mother was going to the San Juans today - I'd hate to see what it's like on a summer weekend! Lots of ebikes too - a little more than half, from what I could see. They ran the gamut from fancy high-end Bulls to a Fuji e-cross city, a couple of Gocycle folders, the Rad City, and other assorted brands. It was wonderful to see the variety of ebikes and riders out enjoying this spectacular day!

The ferry out of Anacortes was a little over an hour late departing, due to said fog, but, finally, after some willy-nilly loading ("Bikers! Use your kick stands if you got 'em! Otherwise, tie up somewhere!), We were on our way. Sadly, masks are required everywhere except on the car deck again, due to our rising Delta variant Covid numbers. Thanks a LOT, antivaxxers 😠.

View attachment 94847

View attachment 94848

The ferry landing on Lopez is a lonely little spot on the north end of the island; nothing else around for miles. Our first stop after a steep-ish uphill off the landing and a nice downhill coast after, was Odlin Park, about a mile from the dock:

View attachment 94849

After enjoying the view, we hit the road again, heading south and east to Spencer Spit State Park. We carried our Park Pass with us, so we wouldn't have to pay the $10 daily use fee. At $30 per year, it's a great deal! After parking and locking the bikes, we hiked the short trail down through the woods and out to the end of the spit:

View attachment 94850

This is all the room boats have to pass between the end of the spit and the little Island (and, that's my "mechanic", providing perspective 😉). Unfortunately, though we did see some pretty big ones plowing through as we walked out, there were none while we were at water's edge:

View attachment 94851
Here's the view back across the spit. There are a decent amount of boat moorings available offshore (you need a dinghy to land), and it's a very popular spot:

View attachment 94853

Back on the road, continuing south, we spotted some "wildlife"😉:

View attachment 94854

They did NOT like having their photo taken, and trundled away, all in a huff, right after I got this shot!

We continued south for a bit more, then crossed the island and turned back north again along Fisherman Bay Road, towards Lopez Village, the only town in the island.

Unfortunately, there wasn't a lot open in the village, which was surprising, considering the number of cyclists and cars about. Thank goodness, the ice cream shop was open, though masks are required inside again:

View attachment 94855

Pretty views up the west coast and towards the village at the mouth of Fisherman Bay:

View attachment 94856
View attachment 94857

After walking around the village a bit and enjoying a toffee coffee ice cream, it was time to head back to the ferry dock. We had been watching the Washington State Ferry website and knew the boat was still running nearly an hour late, so we took our time getting back to our starting point.

Loaded with the same precision ("Come on, people, let's go! To the right! Stack 'em up! Stack 'em up!") by the same deck hand as our outbound journey, we scooched in, waited for the vehicles to load, and were on our way back to Anacortes:
.View attachment 94858
This is just the front "row" - the rest of us were squeezed in amongst the cars.

A vehicle shot - quarters were quite tight, and many cars and trucks were left waiting at least 2 hours for the next boat! :

View attachment 94859

Here's the ride:

View attachment 94861
20.63 miles, according to Mi Fit. The 🤬🤬🤬 Giant Ride Control app lost contact with the bike at the beginning of the ride, and failed to record! Always have a back up recorder!!!

The great PNW is such a jewel of a place, especially on sunny summer days! So grateful we get to live here!
Great report and pictures. I've only been to Lopez once about 40 years ago and it was by bike. I've been to Orcas and San Juan a number of times always with a bike.

Pickle Juice. It's like a miracle cure. Been using it for years. I am very susceptible to muscle cramps. Always starts with my hands. If I don't drink some pickle juice at that point it goes to my feet and legs. One time I woke up with my legs so cramped I had to crawl to the fridge to get the pickle juice. The stuff literally works in seconds. ( gotta be DILL pickle juice ) If I go on a long bike ride I have to take some with. 👍👍👍

I just buy larger jars of dill pickles and throw away the pickles. Cheaper.
My fav summertime sandwich is a cold pickle and chunky peanut butter! So I love dill pickles but cannot imagine drinking straight pickle juice!

First ride of the day.
Screenshot_20210730-123214_Strava.jpg

20210730_075120.jpg
Had to wait for the Rangers to open up! Someone overslept hahahaha

20210730_073729.jpg
New attraction at Benjies's Drive-In :)

20210730_083021.jpg20210730_083014.jpg
This little guy was crossing the road, had to goad him along, he was, ummm, well, being a turtle :) once he started moving though he was pretty fast!
20210730_080026.jpg
Patiently waiting for breakfast.
20210730_082433.jpg20210730_082615.jpg
If you closely see, mama is holding a fish, guess I was too close to the nest for her comfort, cause she flew off to a nearby tree to wait for me to move along.

Time for some lunch, craving some chinese! Then back home for a nice little nap. I love retirement :):):)

First ride of the day.
View attachment 94883
View attachment 94890
Had to wait for the Rangers to open up! Someone overslept hahahaha

View attachment 94888
New attraction at Benjies's Drive-In :)

View attachment 94887View attachment 94886
This little guy was crossing the road, had to goad him along, he was, ummm, well, being a turtle :) once he started moving though he was pretty fast!
View attachment 94889
Patiently waiting for breakfast.
View attachment 94884View attachment 94885
If you closely see, mama is holding a fish, guess I was too close to the nest for her comfort, cause she flew off to a nearby tree to wait for me to move along.

Time for some lunch, craving some chinese! Then back home for a nice little nap. I love retirement :):):)
Oh thank goodness. I was afraid you were going to tell us mama snatched the turtle. 🤗 I love those kind of turtles cause we used to keep them as pets when we were kids. Had one for a bit that was only about 2 inches long. Little bastage latched onto the web between my thumb and forefinger and wouldn't let go. Guess he didn't fancy being a pet turtle.

Pickle Juice. It's like a miracle cure.
Could you someone enlighten me what is understood by "pickle" in NA? We actually have two distinct varieties of pickles in Poland: preservatives made with vinegar; and the fermented stuff. For instance, cucumber can be preserved in vinegar; OR, it can be fermented. The juice from fermented cucumber (or cabbage = sauerkraut) is extremely effective against hangover. (Or, people here think so).

Ice-cream in Grójec

Having no better idea where to ride (to test my latest Vado setup and especially riding in low power mode), I set off to Grójec via Tarczyn. Both towns compete for the title of the "Poland's Capital City of Apple", and I think Grójec fares better. Area southward of Tarczyn is pretty interesting for a cyclist, for its rolling hills and a lot of greenery.

1627686388035.png

The main square of Grójec is decorated with the brass monument of the apple, and that looks far better than the "rotten apple" of Tarczyn :D

There is something I'd call "the Polish town Main Square vice". It is the paving of main squares in so many Polish towns and cities. Poland's got a lot of EU money to make her towns look better. Unfortunately, the local authorities typically thought paving the main square would make the city look good. With this year's violent thunderstorms leading to flooding said main squares, there is some hope aldermen would rethink the whole idea for the future.

1627686820540.png

There is some hope for Grójec, too. Several big trees in the main square have been preserved, new trees planted, and fountains have been built around the square. Typically for this Summer, I could find a public water-curtain to cool down and wash my face and hands. And I ate the most delicious ice-cream: mint and blueberry!

1627687324865.png

Horses, Thinlinden, and Petersgoats (Frogsville borough) :)

I made a route-planning mistake for my return trip, and had to ride with traffic on Hwy #50 for 17 km, upwind and over rolling hills. The Hwy #50 is scary even if you drive a small car there. The road has the most heavy traffic, with the large lorries dominating it. I had a narrow shoulder for riding it, and the slipstream of the big trucks combined with headwind was trying to throw me into the ditch! I was so happy when I could leave the 50 for a side road that was so perfect any road-cyclist would cry from happiness! :)

1627687846246.png

I returned home very tired. Bought some fermented cucumber (alas without the juice), "low-salt" shortly fermented cucumber, and excellent cheese!

View attachment 94916
Beverage not pickle juice hahaha

Stefan, a "pickle" is just a smallish cucumber that has been preserved in vinegar. I also have heard that fermented cabbage is a hangover cure but have not tested that theory yet.

Good Night Ladies and Gentlemen
Gute Nacht meine Damen und Herren
Dobranoc panie i panowie
Satyricon nobilium dominarum
Usiku mwema mabibi na mabwana
Buona notte signore e signori!

Smoked Out. 😷

It was a lacklustre day along the Icefields Parkway yesterday as we cycled our way from Saskatchewan River Crossing to Bow Lake. Smoke blown in from the BC wildfires hung heavy in the air and was especially noticeable as we struggled on the long climb up to Bow Summit. To make matters worse, the amount of summer traffic was quite alarming as everyone was anxious to hit the road and get an early start before the civic holiday weekend.

Web capture_29-7-2021_2249_ridewithgps.com.jpeg

Web capture_29-7-2021_22738_ridewithgps.jpg

Screenshot 2021-07-29 at 22-17-10 Garmin Connect.png

Despite the smoke, it was still a nice day to be out on the water. I was quite envious of these paddlers as they seemed to be enjoying themselves on the calm waters of Waterfowl Lake.

IMG_20210729_1216051.jpg

Num-Ti-Jah Lodge. It’s closed for the season but there are plans to re-open it in 2022. It would make for a nice layover for anyone interested in cycling the entire length of the Icefields Parkway.

IMG_20210729_1347225.jpg

The climb towards the Summit took upwards of an hour by the time we reached the Peyto Lake turnoff road. The road up to the lookout, however, was closed due to construction up at the site so we pushed on toward the summit but the views there were just as obscured.

IMG_20210729_1358128.jpg

IMG_20210729_1314595.jpg

As we reversed our direction back to the start, the 10-minute descent from Bow Summit seemed to last an eternity and was a bit sketchy at times. Rumble strips to the left of us, a narrow section of shoulder part way down and highway cones placed hastily along the side of the road were distractions we didn’t count on. We were thankful though that traffic at the time was light.

Our often hazy but completed video tribute to Bow Lake and the Icefields Parkway below. Sorry that we couldn’t quite capture the true essence of the ride due to conditions beyond our control. I remain hopeful that things will be more pleasant the next time out. 🌞:cool:

IMG_20210729_1146478.jpgIMG_20210729_1159514.jpgIMG_20210729_1206037.jpgIMG_20210729_1210059.jpgIMG_20210729_1219110.jpgIMG_20210729_1220417.jpgIMG_20210729_1223598.jpgIMG_20210729_1357407.jpgIMG_20210729_1406585.jpgIMG_20210729_1457336.jpg

Smoked Out. 😷

It was a lacklustre day along the Icefields Parkway yesterday as we cycled our way from Saskatchewan River Crossing to Bow Lake. Smoke blown in from the BC wildfires hung heavy in the air and was especially noticeable as we struggled on the long climb up to Bow Summit. To make matters worse, the amount of summer traffic was quite alarming as everyone was anxious to hit the road and get an early start before the civic holiday weekend.

View attachment 94943
View attachment 94944
View attachment 94945
Despite the smoke, it was still a nice day to be out on the water. I was quite envious of these paddlers as they seemed to be enjoying themselves on the calm waters of Waterfowl Lake.

View attachment 94946

Num-Ti-Jah Lodge. It’s closed for the season but there are plans to re-open it in 2022. It would make for a nice layover for anyone interested in cycling the entire length of the Icefields Parkway.

View attachment 94947

The climb towards the Summit took upwards of an hour by the time we reached the Peyto Lake turnoff road. The road up to the lookout, however, was closed due to construction up at the site so we pushed on toward the summit but the views there were just as obscured.

View attachment 94948
View attachment 94949

As we reversed our direction back to the start, the 10-minute descent from Bow Summit seemed to last an eternity and was a bit sketchy at times. Rumble strips to the left of us, a narrow section of shoulder part way down and highway cones placed hastily along the side of the road were distractions we didn’t count on. We were thankful though that traffic at the time was light.

Our often hazy but completed video tribute to Bow Lake and the Icefields Parkway below. Sorry that we couldn’t quite capture the true essence of the ride due to conditions beyond our control. I remain hopeful that things will be more pleasant the next time out. 🌞:cool:

View attachment 94950View attachment 94951View attachment 94952View attachment 94953View attachment 94954View attachment 94955View attachment 94956View attachment 94957View attachment 94958View attachment 94959
Nice report and the scenery along the route is sublime although obviously impaired. But what were you doing to your lungs??? I regret pushing it on my trip to Glacier National Park a few years ago - "I CAN DO IT" in spite of the smoke!

I've skied across Bow Lake a number of times. Speaking of rumble strips, its frozen surface occasionally felt like that.

Stay safe while enjoying.

Back