Our Rides in Words, Photos & Videos

Headed over on the ferry today to the Kitsap Peninsula. Strava and COBI don't seem to like ferry rides, so I'm missing the Edmonds side of things but that was just an additional 3 miles on both ends of the ride making for a nice 50 mile ride.

View attachment 94467
After getting off the ferry - and resetting my navigation which decided I should just turn around and get back on the ferry back to Edmonds to finish my ride I headed up to Point No Point the northernmost tip of the Kitsap Peninsula and home of the oldest lighthouse in WA state along with some interesting driftwood sculptures/furniture.
View attachment 94470 View attachment 94471 View attachment 94472

From there I headed over to Port Gamble, a well-preserved historic timber town, which had a working sawmill for 142 years until 1995. These days it's mostly gift and craft shops, but a nice place to stretch your legs and get a snack before getting back in the saddle. Afterwards I hit the Port Gamble Heritage Park for some nice trail time. The park has a little bit of everything and was my first chance to ride some single track that I could measure in miles instead of on feet and yards. We've been lucky so far this year and haven't had any of the smoke from the fires to the South, East, and North impact our air quality.
View attachment 94473 View attachment 94474 View attachment 94476
After making my way to to the southern end of the park it was back to Kingston to catch the ferry home to Edmonds. It's so nice just riding straight up to the ferry terminal on a bike instead of waiting in the miles long line with all the cars.
A friend and I doing Edmonds from Greenlake talked about Hannsville just this morning. A month or so ago, we took the Seattle-Kingston Passenger ferry from downtown. Rode to Indianola and then Paulsbo for lunch and Agate Pass and Winslow back to downtown and home (hated Gunderson Rd). On that ride we also mentioned Hannsville (I don't know if I've ever been there) and Port Gamble (a number of visits). So it might still be in the cards. How's that park trail for a road bike tire? Looks, perhaps narrow.

A friend and I doing Edmonds from Greenlake talked about Hannsville just this morning. A month or so ago, we took the Seattle-Kingston Passenger ferry from downtown. Rode to Indianola and then Paulsbo for lunch and Agate Pass and Winslow back to downtown and home (hated Gunderson Rd). On that ride we also mentioned Hannsville (I don't know if I've ever been there) and Port Gamble (a number of visits). So it might still be in the cards. How's that park trail for a road bike tire? Looks, perhaps narrow.
You ride a Creo, right? That explains how you were able to get your bike on the fast ferry. My tires and fenders rule that ferry out for me last I checked.
The trails are all linked together by the service/logging roads and those are in good shape with few ruts and very little washboarding. The singletracks I tried do have a fair number of roots but not much loose stuff so I guess it would depend on your skill/comfort level. Gravel tires would be better for sure.

I took Gunderson as well. I grew up in the country cycling on 2 lane roads with no shoulders, deep ditches, and cars going 45-55. Not great but I almost prefer it to roads like 104 where the shoulder is almost wide enough and cars dont feel like they need to slow down or give you space.

1627394282632.png

We have weather warnings in place for 3 days but I managed to get out this morning in the dry! With the threat of thunderstorms I will be resting my legs until Friday! It was actually a perfect morning for cycling with light winds and a temp of 16C, a little misty again but that helped keep me cool as it felt so much warmer! I didn't take any photos as I have covered this route so many times this year! No sign of the promised rain yet, maybe they have got it wrong again! ;) Not much to report, other than I had a real blast on amazing quiet roads!

Attachments

• elevation_profile314.jpg
    elevation_profile314.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 176
  • trip-72055121-map-full229.png
    trip-72055121-map-full229.png
    420 KB · Views: 181
You ride a Creo, right? That explains how you were able to get your bike on the fast ferry. My tires and fenders rule that ferry out for me last I checked.
Curious why your tires/fenders would rule a fast ferry out? Interested as we may be out there in a month or so.

Got in a 23+ miler this morning with 1017‘ elevation gain averaging 13.8 and still had well over 50% of my 500wh battery left when I got home. Corn is finishing well…very tall and looking great for still being in a drought. Never ceases to amaze me about how close together they plant corn these days!
9DA6E63D-3B25-4017-B2EF-010A7B898C53.jpeg
9F017841-A27D-410C-AB3B-DBC1C64FC324.jpeg
7F672ADD-0060-4912-8D6F-B3371BF607B0.jpeg

Curious why your tires/fenders would rule a fast ferry out? Interested as we may be out there in a month or so.
The Seattle-Bremerton fast ferry has fancy racks that arent very functional:
Bremerton Fast Ferry: The current design holds 12 bike (each space with inside openings of 2.25"). The current rack design makes it impossible to safely secure bikes with fenders, disc brakes, or balloon tires.
When they added the Kingston-Seattle run a few years ago, there was concern that they would use the same racks, but upon further research, it looks like that ferry does have better racks.

The WSDOT ferries use a decidedly lower tech solution:
IMG_20210725_121245.jpg

The upside is that you get to disembark first. The downside is it kind of feels like the Running of the Bulls as you get about a 60 second head start on the Harleys.

I received a last-minute call to join the boys on an abbreviated trail ride yesterday afternoon so not much to report other than it felt like we spent much of our time negotiating fallen trees as a result of the previous night’s squall. :rolleyes:

IMG_20210726_1418087.jpg

The pitfalls of riding in, underneath and around deadfall after a storm. This is the second tempered glass protector that’s fallen victim to the trail but considering the alternative of not having them is simply no longer optional for me.
IMG_20210726_1749210.jpg

My wife and I had planned on riding another leg this day along the Icefields Parkway from Saskatchewan River Crossing to the Crowfoot Glacier but the air quality index (smoke) had dashed any ideas of that. Hopefully by Thursday the skies will be clearer. :cool:

The trails are all linked together by the service/logging roads and those are in good shape with few ruts and very little washboarding. The singletracks I tried do have a fair number of roots but not much loose stuff so I guess it would depend on your skill/comfort level. Gravel tires would be better for sure.

I took Gunderson as well. I grew up in the country cycling on 2 lane roads with no shoulders, deep ditches, and cars going 45-55. Not great but I almost prefer it to roads like 104 where the shoulder is almost wide enough and cars dont feel like they need to slow down or give you space.

I do ride the Creo but my friend has a Rodriquez e-bike with wider tires and fenders. I had called and the rep made it sound like it was not as restrictive as posted on their site. They also mention NO cleats (and we brought spare shoes!) but that was not an issue - we both had SPD's. We did ride NON-rush hour and only 3 bikes in total. I don't know if they go stricter some of the time. Pictured onboard. I see her bike was not precisely in the narrower spacing.

Kitsap Track.jpg

PXL_20210512_174251262-e.jpg

Actually, I think at one time it mentioned e-bikes, too. Maybe the lithium batteries fire potential. Maritime rules can be stricter??? The "foot" ferries are smaller and have more limited bike space and rack sizing. You can see in the above picture her bike did not fit the narrow slots. Cleats, potentially because the older ones that protruded below the sole could be quite slippery on the metal decks and stairs.

There's no problem on the regular car ferries, although there is no specific bike parking - find a rail and tie it on! (g) There are short lengths of rope along the rails to tie.

I'll post a picture of the full size ferry.

PXL_20210512_225228315-e.jpg

I received a last-minute call to join the boys on an abbreviated trail ride yesterday afternoon so not much to report other than it felt like we spent much of our time negotiating fallen trees as a result of the previous night’s squall. :rolleyes:

View attachment 94622

The pitfalls of riding in, underneath and around deadfall after a storm. This is the second tempered glass protector that’s fallen victim to the trail but considering the alternative of not having them is simply no longer optional for me.
View attachment 94623

My wife and I had planned on riding another leg this day along the Icefields Parkway from Saskatchewan River Crossing to the Crowfoot Glacier but the air quality index (smoke) had dashed any ideas of that. Hopefully by Thursday the skies will be clearer. :cool:
Fun video. Looks like the protection was well advised.

Thanks for the ferry info folks!😎👍
I will make clear that the foot ferry in my picture was the one from downtown Seattle to Kingston (north and west) about 45 minutes on the ferry. There's also a foot ferry to Bremerton which apparently has a different setup. And who knows if they ever change boats since they are both run by Kitsap County!!!! The WA state, WSDOT, ferries are full size car ferries that have bikes and foot passengers.

Screenshot_20210727-141410_Weather.jpg
So looks like my body has gotten used to the high heat and humidity, didn't even feel bad!
Screenshot_20210727-182051_Strava.jpg

20210727_105054.jpg20210727_105510.jpg
20210727_122359 1.jpg
Young fawn didn't even pay any attention to me while I was riding by!
20210727_130504.jpg
First Contact Landing Pad 👽
20210727_140118.jpg
The Hand of God 🙏
20210727_121249.jpg
Nekkid Fly 9
20210727_155709.jpg
Two new 700 lumens headlights, nice and bright!
20210727_183606.jpg
Supper, 2 pounds of meat lovers lasagna! Gonzo, mmm mmm good.

Live long and prosper fellow earthlings...

The Seattle-Bremerton fast ferry has fancy racks that arent very functional:
Bremerton Fast Ferry: The current design holds 12 bike (each space with inside openings of 2.25"). The current rack design makes it impossible to safely secure bikes with fenders, disc brakes, or balloon tires.
When they added the Kingston-Seattle run a few years ago, there was concern that they would use the same racks, but upon further research, it looks like that ferry does have better racks.

The WSDOT ferries use a decidedly lower tech solution:
View attachment 94617

The upside is that you get to disembark first. The downside is it kind of feels like the Running of the Bulls as you get about a 60 second head start on the Harleys.
Hope there are no Harleys heading up to Lopez on Thursday!

Interloper?

Australian White Ibis

Australian White Ibis
Threskiornis moluccus
Over the last fifty years our native ibis, just like its ever-so-distant human cousins, has moved into the cities. In urban areas pickings are more easily come by and the white ibis has earned itself the names 'tip turkey' and 'bin chicken'.

This fellow, stalking the mudflats next to the northern section of the Moreton Bay Cycleway was in the species's natural habitat. A glance at the Ride with GPS map might suggest that it is actually another species that is the interloper!

I believe that the American white ibis frequents a similar environment in Florida where St Petersburg and Tampa Bay are the equivalents of the Redcliffe Peninsula and Moreton Bay.

Ride with GPS - Scarborough

Last edited by a moderator:
I and Jacek are going together for a week's long e-bike mountain trip, starting from August 8th. That would be Polish and Czech Sudetes, and specifically:
  • Kłodzko Valley
  • Owl Mts
  • Polish Table Mts including the One Hundred Bends Road
  • Broumov Czech National Park
  • Krkonoše/Karkonosze /Riesengebirge/Giant Mts.
As both of us hold EU Covid Passports, no trouble with travelling abroad.
I was thinking what I would be riding. And simply changed the gearing of my Vado to MTB grade 😊
20210728_152054-01.jpeg

My Vado as an MReB (Mountain Road e-Bike). 38T front, 11-46T rear. Steep long climbs? I fear not! 😊

I devoted this day to mechanical work and test rides. We experience very warm and quite humid weather now.

I and Jacek are going together for a week's long e-bike mountain trip, starting from August 8th. That would be Polish and Czech Sudetes, and specifically:
  • Kłodzko Valley
  • Owl Mts
  • Polish Table Mts including the One Hundred Bends Road
  • Broumov Czech National Park
  • Krkonoše/Karkonosze /Riesengebirge/Giant Mts.
As both of us hold EU Covid Passports, no trouble with travelling abroad.
I was thinking what I would be riding. And simply changed the gearing of my Vado to MTB grade 😊
View attachment 94689
My Vado as an MReB (Mountain Road e-Bike). 38T front, 11-46T rear. Steep long climbs? I fear not! 😊

I devoted this day to mechanical work and test rides. We experience very warm and quite humid weather now.
What kind of terrain are you riding?

Back