"No Electric Bikes Allowed"

mamerc

Just inquired a local Bike club about their views on E Bikes and if we would be allowed to join? Seems too many people are not familair with what an e bike is?
Today I received an email response. "We certainly welcome all cyclists to our club. I'm not sure what type of e-bike you have, but be aware of a couple of things you may need to consider and take into account when choosing club rides to join. I have included an email below that I have created in the past for new members about the various rides during the week and on weekends. With an e-bike, you may want to take into account it's abilities/limitations when you look at the distance and climbing that the rides involve."
I have invited the letter writer over to take an bike ride himself, hoping he accepts. He pointed out one of the trails the ride is one we ride ourselves. I never knew of the sign or rules on bikes. I am aware that Utah has closed many popular trails to e bikes and that they are working on revisiting their decision, but for now, has anyone had issues of riding their bikes on local trails?......Marty (Jumper/Jet)

Screen Shot 2015-06-24 at 6.21.34 PM.png

Seems you've got 2 issues

1. The bike club themselves (regardless of where they ride)
2. The specific trail you are showing, that appears to prohibit electric bikes

If the cycling club you wish to join only rides on the Santa Ana River Trail, and if ebikes are not permitted, then there's nothing you can do about that.

I guess the question is "Do authorities/municipalities mean e bikes or MODIFIED e bikes when posting NO electric bikes? I just don't see a threat in casual riding of a common e bike. just as battery life may be 20 miles, I ride limited motor for up to 100 miles round trip. Im sure other areas post their trails as such. By the way, Santa Ana River Trail runs over 100 miles starting in Mountain Bear Country and running to the Pacific Ocean.

I ride the Santa Ana River Trail quite often on my Evo Cross and have never gotten a second look (except for a young Lycra dude I passed recently). ;-)

FWIW, that website does not represent any official governmental agency, and doesn't seem to be very current. AFAIK, none of the actual SART signs specifically call out electric bicycles.

Addendum: I can't find anything else on the web regarding restriction of electric bikes on SART (or any other OC trails) aside from the one picture of a sign on that website (which may not even be on SART) that prohibits motorized cycles.

Last edited:
Here's what I'd do (and did). If you want to join a cycling club's ride, don't ask them in advance if they'll welcome you/your ebike with open arms.

Just tell them you're coming to ride with them and show up. Act like your bike is just a bike and if the questions come you can explain it however you see fit. As long as you're riding at the speed they are and within the rules established by the group, then no one should care what's between your legs (pun definitely intended).

The trail seems to have a 10 mph speed limit for all kinds of bikes which could be violated by any 4 year old on a trike just as easily as by an ebiker, but they feel the special need to totally ban ebikes? What about low flying UFOs and unicorns galloping too fast? Surely those hazards too would merit a prohibition of their own.

There is no explicit ban of ebikes. That is just an assertion on a crazy website by some group calling themselves 'Friends of Santa Ana River Trail' who have no actual authority. Check out this shouty jem from their website:
ELECTRIC BIKES, MOTOR SCOOTERS, DRINKING ALCOHOL, POT SMOKING, and TALKING ON PHONE WHILE RIDING BICYCLE ARE PROHIBITED ON THE SANTA ANA RIVER TRAIL.

ALWAYS RIDE, RUN or WALK TO THE FAR RIGHT SIDE. DOG OWNERS MUST KEEP THEIR PETS ON A SHORT LEASH. DO NOT OBSTRUCT TRAIL USERS.

AVOID WEARING HEADPHONES or EARBUDS, ESPECIALLY WHEN YOU CAN NOT HEAR OTHER TRAIL USERS. WHEN PASSING CYCLISTS, RUNNERS, WALKERS or SMALL KIDS FROM BEHIND ALWAYS ANNOUNCE:
-- BEHIND YOU - PASSING ON YOUR LEFT --
THANK YOU AND PLEASE ARE GOOD SART TRAIL COURTESY WORDS. BE NICE, FRIENDLY, KIND AND HELPFUL !

Ok Mom!

Reading the small print at the bottom of the 'Report Violations Here' page it seem that PBN has it correct:

Disclaimer: Freinds of the Santa Ana River Trail is not a law enforcement agency nor part of a governmental department. However through our volunteer work we support the efforts of local police, fire and public works departments and the various governmental departments which oversee and safeguard the Santa Ana River Trail system.

Note "Friends" is misspelled and the numerous typos and grammar fails all over that website. I suspect this is a very small group of amateur regulators. Probably there are NO regulations at all and they fixed that little problem by inventing a bunch of them.

OK,
looks like there is a speed limit---
Over the years city, county, and Army Corp agencies have all had an impact on SART. At some point segments of the route came under Parks and Recreation jurisdiction. Their ordinance 2-5-43 requires bicycles be operated safe and reasonable speeds, but under no circumstances at speed greater than 10 MPH. That regulation may make sense on meandering park paths where casual recreational riders mix with baby joggers, but it makes no sense on a route traditionally used primarily by bicyclists traveling from Point A to Point B.

A 10 MPH limit completely destroys the transportation utility of the bicycle.

It’s an unreasonable imposition in an era when city and county agencies are trying to encourage bicycling as a transportation mode. OCBC is working with the county’s Regional Recreational Trail Committee, who generally oppose the 10 MPH limit on SART, and consultants involved in trail and park improvements in the Green River project area, to influence OC Parks to revise their ordinance to recognize the needs of bicyclists on the Santa Ana River Trail.

Ride the same speed as other cyclist. Turn off the motor and leg it in busy sections. Ride responsibly. You (most) are riding a motorized vehicle with a bicycle classification.

Seems like "no electric bikes" means no electric bikes. Hard to read the signs clearly from these photos, but I believe the club based on what I see. If someone who goes there could photograph this sign clearly (especially bottom left) and post, then we will know for sure.
Screenshot_2015-06-25-20-44-46.png

Seems like "no electric bikes" means no electric bikes. Hard to read the signs clearly from these photos, but I believe the club based on what I see. If someone who goes there could photograph this sign clearly (especially bottom left) and post, then we will know for sure.
View attachment 3519

What does their state law say? Here in mn, that picture of a motorcycle with a line through it does not apply to ebikes, which as long as they fit the state definition of an ebike are just bikes.

In my country, only the municipality can decide that a certain road or track can't be used by motorized vehicles. And according to the law, an e-bike is not a motorized vehicle unless it is modified to go over 40 km/h or something.
And even if the land is privately owned, anyone can use the road or track because of the "freedom to roam" principle.

What does their state law say? Here in mn, that picture of a motorcycle with a line through it does not apply to ebikes, which as long as they fit the state definition of an ebike are just bikes.

The state law is not going to matter if the municipality establishes stricter rules. I think the words below the symbol say "no electric bikes", just as quoted by the local club. If someone who rides this path could photograph that sign at higher resolution for us, then we will know for sure!

In my country, only the municipality can decide that a certain road or track can't be used by motorized vehicles

In my county too! And the phrase "electric bike" is much more specific than "motorized vehicle" lol.

No "freedom to roam" on private property however, here in the U.S. :)

The state law is not going to matter if the municipality establishes stricter rules. I think the words below the symbol say "no electric bikes", just as quoted by the local club. If someone who rides this path could photograph that sign at higher resolution for us, then we will know for sure!

Possibly true - however the picture looks like a motorized vehicle - again, here in MN 'no motorized vehicle' does not include E-bikes! The signage here would have to explicitly state no e-bikes in order to apply. I happen to appreciate our state rules, they are quite civil and well explained. :)

here in MN 'no motorized vehicle' does not include E-bikes! I happen to appreciate our state rules, they are quite civil and well explained. :)

Yes, and Minneapolis has been called the most bicycle friendly large city in the United States! I hope other cities can follow their lead!
I guess the question is "Do authorities/municipalities mean e bikes or MODIFIED e bikes when posting NO electric bikes? I just don't see a threat in casual riding of a common e bike.

Lol, maybe "no electric bikes" really means no modified e-bikes!! :p

Maybe the words "no alcoholic beverages" really means no modified alcoholic beverages! I drink my beer straight out of the bottle with no modifications! ;)

Last edited:
View attachment 3519
I'll get a better photo next time I'm near one of those signs. In the meantime, look at the rest of the picture - you will see two clear depictions of bicycles, which do not match the bottom left picture, which clearly depicts a motorcycle. Also, go to the website of the agency that put up the sign, OC Parks. You will find no mention there of electric bikes.

Back