Vacation planning with E-Bikes

Imchud

Region
USA
My Wife and I are trying to plan a trip, taking our e-bikes. We live in the Cleveland OH area with some of the most beautiful Metro Park Trails and were hoping to find some nice paved trails where we decide to go. We were originally thinking of traveling south to the Charleston SC area, (about 700 miles) - but I haven't checked into any trails that might be in the area yet. We would be okay traveling in about any direction for the same distance (about 8 or 10 hours) to find a nice location with things to see and do.

We would like to stay in one location, for 8 to 10 days while we explore, we were thinking of staying at an Air-B&B, which I am sure we can find in just about any location. If you know of any place or have been anywhere that would be worth exploring please let me know, thanks.

This is the best website I've found for ebike trip planning:

There is also an app version. You need to be a member to view detailed trail maps but the locator map, trail description and rider reviews are all free to view. I use the site to find a concentration of promising trails and choose a hotel or B&B in a central location.

If you decide to go east, check out this post on trails I recommend:

I've done it several ways with taking my two Radrover ebikes to Grand Canyon/Sedona, renting ebikes at the destination (Santa Barbara & New Port Beach), and taking my bike rack/bike gear with me and rented bikes for X days to ride for over a week (San Antonio).

The main thing is understanding the local regulations and restrictions for ebikes. It was A-OK having ebikes at the Grand Canyon; but, there were no ebikes allowed on the pedal bike trails in Sedona, AZ (we had to ride the same trails just like a motorcycle/quad off road vehicles).

Other issue with bringing my own ebike was:
- weather: having to prep for transport and use a bike cover or wrap electronics and gears for wet weather
- security: I added 4-5 chains and bike locks to slow down thieves on the road or at the hotel/motel for overnight stays
- prepping for transport: Needing to remove anything someone might steal off the ebike like suspension seat post, aux lights, rack bag, etc...
- Parking: hard to park in well lighted area, near main door, not sticking out in traffic flow, and in view on my room at every hotel/motel for an overnight stay
- room storage: Very hard to get 1st floor room for added security if I don't feel comfortable leaving my ebikes on the bike hitch
- Bike gear: I just needed to install my bike rack, take my padded shorts, helmet, eye protection, and riding gloves when I rented ebikes on the road. Needed tools, flat repair kit, spare parts, battery charger, bike locks, wet weather stuff to cover electronics, etc... (took up some room in my SUV hatch).
- Driving: My mpgs went down with drag created with two ebikes and felt like I was dragging a parachute when I had to use the bike cover because of bad weather. Noticeable difference in handling/performance/mpgs with my 6-7 passenger SUV+2 fat tire ebikes trying to maintain 75-80 mph posted speed out west.

The Grand Canyon was the first and only time I took my ebikes on the road. I've since done the take bike rack/riding gear and rent at the destination since.

Great, another ohioan! You can't do much better than the Cleveland metropark trails thatloop all the way from Cleveland through brecksville and up to chagrin uninterupted.

If you're looking for a good trail to try out, check out the Cincinnati through Dayton area. Lots of rail trails lots of Metro Park trails, this summer I plan on doing the little Miami trail and a few of the others around there.

Also check out just north of Pittsburgh and around that area lot of long rail trails. Including some nice tunnels and other scenic things

I suggest looking up trail links. Also alltrails app is great for searching for bike trails and includes The ability to filter road type and length of the trail

This is the best website I've found for ebike trip planning:

There is also an app version. You need to be a member to view detailed trail maps but the locator map, trail description and rider reviews are all free to view. I use the site to find a concentration of promising trails and choose a hotel or B&B in a central location.

If you decide to go east, check out this post on trails I recommend:

Thank you... This is some great information.

I've done it several ways with taking my two Radrover ebikes to Grand Canyon/Sedona, renting ebikes at the destination (Santa Barbara & New Port Beach), and taking my bike rack/bike gear with me and rented bikes for X days to ride for over a week (San Antonio).

The main thing is understanding the local regulations and restrictions for ebikes. It was A-OK having ebikes at the Grand Canyon; but, there were no ebikes allowed on the pedal bike trails in Sedona, AZ (we had to ride the same trails just like a motorcycle/quad off road vehicles).

Other issue with bringing my own ebike was:
- weather: having to prep for transport and use a bike cover or wrap electronics and gears for wet weather
- security: I added 4-5 chains and bike locks to slow down thieves on the road or at the hotel/motel for overnight stays
- prepping for transport: Needing to remove anything someone might steal off the ebike like suspension seat post, aux lights, rack bag, etc...
- Parking: hard to park in well lighted area, near main door, not sticking out in traffic flow, and in view on my room at every hotel/motel for an overnight stay
- room storage: Very hard to get 1st floor room for added security if I don't feel comfortable leaving my ebikes on the bike hitch
- Bike gear: I just needed to install my bike rack, take my padded shorts, helmet, eye protection, and riding gloves when I rented ebikes on the road. Needed tools, flat repair kit, spare parts, battery charger, bike locks, wet weather stuff to cover electronics, etc... (took up some room in my SUV hatch).
- Driving: My mpgs went down with drag created with two ebikes and felt like I was dragging a parachute when I had to use the bike cover because of bad weather. Noticeable difference in handling/performance/mpgs with my 6-7 passenger SUV+2 fat tire ebikes trying to maintain 75-80 mph posted speed out west.

The Grand Canyon was the first and only time I took my ebikes on the road. I've since done the take bike rack/riding gear and rent at the destination since.
We took our Bikes last year to the Traverse City MI. area. We purchased a total bike cover that after a few hours on the highway the wind was beating it to death... even though we had it tied down tight so there were no loose flaps; the handlebars started ripping through the cover. I ended up stopping at Lowes removing the cover and buying some film wrap that I covered all the electronics and the battery connection with.

Another big issue I discovered was with the total cover on the bikes you couldn't see my tail lights, which was one of the real reasons why I removed the cover and just film-wrapped the electronics. So maybe I'll look into rentals, but I do like the idea that my large A$$ is finally getting used to my Brooks saddle. I could also look into a H/D cover, but I would need to find some type of light system that would hook onto the back, to act like brake lights.

Great, another ohioan! You can't do much better than the Cleveland metropark trails thatloop all the way from Cleveland through brecksville and up to chagrin uninterupted.

If you're looking for a good trail to try out, check out the Cincinnati through Dayton area. Lots of rail trails lots of Metro Park trails, this summer I plan on doing the little Miami trail and a few of the others around there.

Also check out just north of Pittsburgh and around that area lot of long rail trails. Including some nice tunnels and other scenic things

I suggest looking up trail links. Also alltrails app is great for searching for bike trails and includes The ability to filter road type and length of the trail

Haven't tried Little Miami or down in the Cincinnati area yet, but I have heard good stuff about them. I will need to check out the apps, sounds like a lot of good information in them. Also, The Pittsburgh thing sounds awesome, I'll need to hunt that down as well.

My Wife and I are trying to plan a trip, taking our e-bikes. We live in the Cleveland OH area with some of the most beautiful Metro Park Trails and were hoping to find some nice paved trails where we decide to go. We were originally thinking of traveling south to the Charleston SC area, (about 700 miles) - but I haven't checked into any trails that might be in the area yet. We would be okay traveling in about any direction for the same distance (about 8 or 10 hours) to find a nice location with things to see and do.

We would like to stay in one location, for 8 to 10 days while we explore, we were thinking of staying at an Air-B&B, which I am sure we can find in just about any location. If you know of any place or have been anywhere that would be worth exploring please let me know, thanks.
I bookmarked this so I can save it for review. Ton's of information to pour over, so thank you for that.

I gave up using whole bike covers years ago, mostly because of the problems you mention. Instead, I cover the sensitive areas with these products:

Sleeve protectors to cover the bar ends:
IMG_1170b.jpg
IMG_1174b.jpg

Stretch silicone bowl lids to cover other areas like the display:
P1090372b.jpg
P1090371a.jpg
P1090380.JPG

I usually remove the saddle & suspension seatpost for security, and to reduce weight. I cover the open seat tube with a vinyl cap:
P1070173a.jpg

Battery openings & contacts can also be covered with the silicone covers:
P1090378b.jpg
P1090377b.jpg

For downtube batteries, I use your method of wrapping with plastic cling wrap and cover with an ace bandage to keep it from coming loose in the wind.
I've been using these techniques for many years and haven't had any weather related issues.

If you do make it to the Pittsburgh area, the Great Allegheny Passage (GAP) Trail is a must see. It is one of the finest trails in the country. The Montour and paved Panhandle trails are also worth a visit.

An hour north of Pittsburgh are the Allegheny River, Redbank Creek and the little known paved Rail 66 Trail. All are highly recommended.

Look them up on the Traillink.com website for details.

Haven't tried Little Miami or down in the Cincinnati area yet, but I have heard good stuff about them. I will need to check out the apps, sounds like a lot of good information in them. Also, The Pittsburgh thing sounds awesome, I'll need to hunt that down as well.
Just don't wear your Browns shirt 🤣🤣🤣

If you want to take advantage of additional planning services there are ebike vacation planning companies that offer packages from fully supported to self-guided. My wife and I have done both including packages where they supply the bike to ones where you bring your own bike.

There are several, but for 3 quick comparisons, check out Crossroads Bike Tours, Sojoun Bike Tours and Discovery Bike Tours. I especially like Backroads for everything but the quality of their ebikes. The best parts are the luxury hotels, great food, luggage and bike transport and very friendly guides.

Per transporting personal bike(s), we travel thousands of miles each year with our bikes on our vehicle. I have made a light bar that I strap to the outside bike that displays the tail lights. I also made a lighted license plate holder. (All States require your vehicle’s license plate to be visible and lighted.) We take hotel precautions by backing against a tree, another vehicle, or wall to minimize chances of theft.

I gave up using whole bike covers years ago, mostly because of the problems you mention. Instead, I cover the sensitive areas with these products:

Sleeve protectors to cover the bar ends:
View attachment 170834 View attachment 170835

Stretch silicone bowl lids to cover other areas like the display:
View attachment 170832 View attachment 170831 View attachment 170833

I usually remove the saddle & suspension seatpost for security, and to reduce weight. I cover the open seat tube with a vinyl cap:
View attachment 170830

Battery openings & contacts can also be covered with the silicone covers:
View attachment 170837 View attachment 170836

For downtube batteries, I use your method of wrapping with plastic cling wrap and cover with an ace bandage to keep it from coming loose in the wind.
I've been using these techniques for many years and haven't had any weather related issues.

If you do make it to the Pittsburgh area, the Great Allegheny Passage (GAP) Trail is a must see. It is one of the finest trails in the country. The Montour and paved Panhandle trails are also worth a visit.

An hour north of Pittsburgh are the Allegheny River, Redbank Creek and the little known paved Rail 66 Trail. All are highly recommended.

Look them up on the Traillink.com website for details.
Love the covers... do you cover your gears or shifter? Also, I just noticed you have a "Steer Saver" on your bike. Does that prevent the wheel from turning while storing the bike? Keeping the wheel locked in place while loading and unloading the bike would be ideal.

Last edited:
If you want to take advantage of additional planning services there are ebike vacation planning companies that offer packages from fully supported to self-guided. My wife and I have done both including packages where they supply the bike to ones where you bring your own bike.

There are several, but for 3 quick comparisons, check out Crossroads Bike Tours, Sojoun Bike Tours and Discovery Bike Tours. I especially like Backroads for everything but the quality of their ebikes. The best parts are the luxury hotels, great food, luggage and bike transport and very friendly guides.

Per transporting personal bike(s), we travel thousands of miles each year with our bikes on our vehicle. I have made a light bar that I strap to the outside bike that displays the tail lights. I also made a lighted license plate holder. (All States require your vehicle’s license plate to be visible and lighted.) We take hotel precautions by backing against a tree, another vehicle, or wall to minimize chances of theft.
I never knew these bike tour companies existed... I spent the last 2 hours reviewing some of their websites - so very cool stuff. Thank you.

Love the covers... do you cover your gears or shifter? Also, I just noticed you have a "Steer Saver" on your bike. Does that prevent the wheel from turning while storing the bike? Keeping the wheel locked in place while loading and unloading the bike would be ideal.
The gears & shifter are pretty much weatherproof. I keep them clean and lightly lubed, so a cover isn't necessary.

The Steer Stopper just keeps the bars from turning. The front wheel can still spin freely. Having the bars locked is a big help when loading, unloading & storing.

I never knew these bike tour companies existed... I spent the last 2 hours reviewing some of their websites - so very cool stuff. Thank you.
I went on a wonderful guided ebike tour of Puglia, Italy, a year ago - am looking at some bike and barge tours in Northern Italy and the Netherlands for next fall 😁.

Back