"No Electric Bikes Allowed"

The BLM has moved to clearly ban all forms of electric bikes on most mountain bike trails (link BLM Utah ), as of this year.
The move is very disappointing. I did write to the BLM office in Utah asking for reasons and clarification, but did not receive a reply.
There is a need for responsible and clear voices to represent the use of our low powered pedal assist bikes.

A similar ban exists on most of the bicycle trails in Colorado. Boulder is one of the few exceptions. I did look up the laws, and the bans are legal, even the sometimes slightly misquoted Federal regulations which clearly allows States to adopt restrictions.

I'm just an older guy (64) with heart problems trying to still enjoy riding mountain bike trails. I thought I'd found a way to do so, but decisions made by the BLM with the start of the new year have taken away some of the places I'd like to ride.

I hope an effort from the e-bike industry and an organized community can reverse these bans.

Mike
Colorado, USA

Ebikes are still a pretty new thing, only really starting to catch on now that batteries are small enough to be practical. Most cyclists aren't familiar with them at all. So, when they say no electric bikes, it's likely they're actually referring to older electric scooter or mo-ped type vehicles. Not what we think of as ebikes at all. I mean, the ebike, which has a motor, isn't technically even classified as a motorized vehicle by the department of transportation unless it goes, powered, faster than 20mph. So, there's a lot of room for misunderstanding of what an ebike actually is.

I'd just take your bike, ride it in a similar manner to how the unpowered bikes are ridden, and just see what happens. I mean, what's the worst case? You maybe get a ticket and have to pay a small fine? Live a little! (Also, maybe arm yourself with a firm understanding of why an ebike isn't a motorized vehicle and maybe you can talk yourself out of that ticket, if you do get stopped.)

Ebikes are still a pretty new thing, only really starting to catch on now that batteries are small enough to be practical. Most cyclists aren't familiar with them at all. So, when they say no electric bikes, it's likely they're actually referring to older electric scooter or mo-ped type vehicles. Not what we think of as ebikes at all. I mean, the ebike, which has a motor, isn't technically even classified as a motorized vehicle by the department of transportation unless it goes, powered, faster than 20mph. So, there's a lot of room for misunderstanding of what an ebike actually is.

I'd just take your bike, ride it in a similar manner to how the unpowered bikes are ridden, and just see what happens. I mean, what's the worst case? You maybe get a ticket and have to pay a small fine? Live a little! (Also, maybe arm yourself with a firm understanding of why an ebike isn't a motorized vehicle and maybe you can talk yourself out of that ticket, if you do get stopped.)

There are tremendous feelings against the use of e-bikes on single track, with threats of physical violence by some mountain bikers ("bash their teeth out").
Outside (link) Magazine had an excellent summary at the end of last year.
This is a time we can influence future decisions if we find ways to develop better public perception of ebikes.

One of the major anti-ebike statements is, "it has a motor, so it is a motorbike" argument. That is a powerful and simple summary of an anti-ebike sentiment. I'd invite others to come up with an equally short and catchy counter argument... I haven't.

So, we have had trails taken away from our use in the past year.
We will likely see more trails taken away in the future.
Many public bike paths (like in Colorado) remain illegal to ride.
Unless we find an organized and responsible way to counter the above we face an ever growing reduction of where we ride.

Mike
Colorado, USA

Recruit some combat veterans who need an ebike to ride as poster boys, then paint those certain kind of mountain bikers not only as the violent sociopaths they are but also as ISIS and Al-Qaeda loving America haters.

There are tremendous feelings against the use of e-bikes on single track, with threats of physical violence by some mountain bikers ("bash their teeth out").
Outside (link) Magazine had an excellent summary at the end of last year.
This is a time we can influence future decisions if we find ways to develop better public perception of ebikes.

One of the major anti-ebike statements is, "it has a motor, so it is a motorbike" argument. That is a powerful and simple summary of an anti-ebike sentiment. I'd invite others to come up with an equally short and catchy counter argument... I haven't.

So, we have had trails taken away from our use in the past year.
We will likely see more trails taken away in the future.
Many public bike paths (like in Colorado) remain illegal to ride.
Unless we find an organized and responsible way to counter the above we face an ever growing reduction of where we ride.

Mike
Colorado, USA
Wow. Okay, two things.

1. It is not the job of ANY other cyclists to enforce the rules on public bike trails. That's the job of the police and they are free to call the cops if they want to. However, your ebike is legally not a motorized vehicle because it doesn't go higher than 20mph, so I have my doubts whether you'd even get a ticket.
2. Anyone who assaults another person deserves to be arrested, charged, and spend time in prison. And assaulting someone for something like riding an ebike on a public trail? Ridiculous.

I am a little surprised that there is so much anti-ebike sentiments in Colorado. Colorado has several fairly big ebike dealers. Perhaps Colorado ebike dealers like SmallPlanet eBikes could help with the effort to educate the non-ebike public on what an ebike is, why it isn't a motorcycle, and why it should be allowed on trails.

I like "share the road, share the trail."

Wow. Okay, two things.

1. It is not the job of ANY other cyclists to enforce the rules on public bike trails. That's the job of the police and they are free to call the cops if they want to. However, your ebike is legally not a motorized vehicle because it doesn't go higher than 20mph, so I have my doubts whether you'd even get a ticket.
2. Anyone who assaults another person deserves to be arrested, charged, and spend time in prison. And assaulting someone for something like riding an ebike on a public trail? Ridiculous.

I am a little surprised that there is so much anti-ebike sentiments in Colorado. Colorado has several fairly big ebike dealers. Perhaps Colorado ebike dealers like SmallPlanet eBikes could help with the effort to educate the non-ebike public on what an ebike is, why it isn't a motorcycle, and why it should be allowed on trails.

I like "share the road, share the trail."

To clarify, the anti-ebike sentiment is not coming from Colorado, but from mountain bike forums and multiple national mountain bike users.
The Outside Magazine article summarizes it well http://www.outsideonline.com/1927861/why-we-shouldnt-hate-e-bikes
Like the author of the article I'm surprised by the hostility.
I did happen to read one of the original posts on the mtbr forum when scouting possible rides in Utah, it was so hostile I've always wondered if it was legally actionable.

Likely we need to be aware and find a way to show our low powered bicycles really are just bicycles with a moderate assist in an organized and effective manner.

Mike
NeoJumper 26"

Recently, I was following some bicycle directions to get to a medical facility on my ebike. The route connected to a rail trail and there was a sign that said, "No motorized vehicles." I had not read this thread yet; the sign was enough to scare me away. The funny thing is, the trail seemed to be full of people pushing baby carriages... big carriages that used up a lot of the trail. One particular "mama bear" made it her business to keep me off the trail when she saw me. I wasn't going to argue with her, but it seemed bizarre that they could command the trail in a way that would make it tricky for walkers and bicyclists to pass.

I looked for another route, my GPS lost the connection, I got lost and ended up going home. What would have been the correct etiquette for me to handle the situation?

Recently, I was following some bicycle directions to get to a medical facility on my ebike. The route connected to a rail trail and there was a sign that said, "No motorized vehicles." I had not read this thread yet; the sign was enough to scare me away. The funny thing is, the trail seemed to be full of people pushing baby carriages... big carriages that used up a lot of the trail. One particular "mama bear" made it her business to keep me off the trail when she saw me. I wasn't going to argue with her, but it seemed bizarre that they could command the trail in a way that would make it tricky for walkers and bicyclists to pass.

I looked for another route, my GPS lost the connection, I got lost and ended up going home. What would have been the correct etiquette for me to handle the situation?

Make sure to check your state statutes - for instance here in MN, electric bikes (that meet the state definition, under 750w, 20mph max) are considered bikes, not motorized vehicles - they are only not allowed if a local trail authority specifically bans them here.

What would have been the correct etiquette for me to handle the situation?
Explain politely and briefly that "motorized vehicle" is a legal term that includes e.g. mopeds but not low powered ebikes which are treated the same as any bicycles, and continue riding.

Screen Shot 2015-08-18 at 7.20.54 PM.png

So who would like to be the first cop to write the rider of THIS motorized vehicle up?

Make sure to check your state statutes - for instance here in MN, electric bikes (that meet the state definition, under 750w, 20mph max) are considered bikes, not motorized vehicles - they are only not allowed if a local trail authority specifically bans them here.

Very sensible idea! I looked it up and saw motorized bicycles are not allowed on recreational trails, but they are legally not the same as a low-powered electric bicycles. The allowed use of the latter on recreational trails seems vague. I wouldn't want to be the one to raise the flag by asking questions and get them banned. Perhaps keeping a low profile and just pedaling is the way to go.

Follow your taxes. You pay for the trail, go to or file an action that the bikers who may ride the trails for "traditional, non motorized bikes only" trails, pay for registration plates. They can financialy support the trails.

It appears that some bikers are doing their best, to get others all excited about those "scooters". Trying to be rational with irrational people who are a witch hunt, is a very unlikely pursuit. We don't need their approval, I believe that our issue is a legal one.

Last edited:
It could come down to classifications of ebikes, as has been written before. A limitation on 500 watts, speed, etc..

Start an ebike riding group.

There is a lot of misinformation and ignorance of ebikes in the general public. I am thinking that the reason for non-ebike regulations has to do with noise and speed. As you know many of todays ebikes are nearly silent and speed is something that can be abused whether or not you are on an ebike. I ride my bike every morning, for a mile or so) on a popular ocean side path for walkers, cyclists, and surfers. I go very slowly and am extremely polite to those who share the path. Not one problem ever. I believe that we, as a community, must introduce local officials who decide legislation, to ebikes as a wonderful and positive addition to the bicycle paths. This will take time as humans are often frightened of change. I know that more and more city managers are seeking out the counsel and experience of both Copenhagen and Amsterday city planning officials.

I know we have an e-bike organization (California Bicycle Coalition) dedicated to improving ebike education and asking riders to sign a petition to support revised (relaxed) legislation on ebikes. I also believe that we as a community must enlist one representative from each cycling community to be the public spokesperson/advocate for ebikes. I would certainly sign up to do this in Santa Cruz/Monterey counties if I had some political guidance.

It could come down to classifications of ebikes, as has been written before. A limitation on 500 watts, speed, etc..

Start an ebike riding group.

I found this for electric bike classification (in MA):
*Has an electric motor of less than 750 watts (onehorsepower)
*Has a maximum speed of less than 20 MPH on a paved level surface, when powered solely by the motor

I like the idea of being in an ebike group. Is there info on how to find or start one on the forum?

Back