"No Electric Bikes Allowed"

I am going to start an ebike/ride group for the Madison, WI area.
I can post if I get it going. Len said that I could put info on his FB

If we can get enough groups going, maybe it would be worth a forum?

Very sensible idea! I looked it up and saw motorized bicycles are not allowed on recreational trails, but they are legally not the same as a low-powered electric bicycles. The allowed use of the latter on recreational trails seems vague. I wouldn't want to be the one to raise the flag by asking questions and get them banned. Perhaps keeping a low profile and just pedaling is the way to go.

Thank you for posting your experience. I do like Bike_On's description: "It is an LPA."
I'm learning to also add: It is an LPA bike which meets European standards.
Yesterday some of my students had a nice way of saying it also: it's part bike and part electric.
I try very hard to be an extremely polite rider, and will seldom pass other riders in single track.
Every bicycle rider does recognize my NeoJumper is electric without needing to be told, so I do need to be aware I represent an electric bike community. Last week I brought along my saw to clear three trees off different single track, hoping the Epic Tour folks would notice (no one said thanks ... Sigh).

We do need to organize. We do need to support each other. Probably the best place to start is ask the dealer where you purchased your bike.

Best wishes,
Mike
Colorado, USA

Last edited:
I have been looking for any organized ebike groups. The name, "Electric Bicycle Network", seems to be used. I have found them in USA, UK, and NZ.
Here is an article from Velo news. assisted living? Lolll read it...
(Link Removed - No Longer Exists)

Every bicycle rider does recognize my NeoJumper is electric without needing to be told, so I do need to be aware I represent an electric bike community. Last week I brought along my saw to clear three trees off different single track, hoping the Epic Tour folks would notice (no one said thanks ... Sigh).

We do need to organize. We do need to support each other. Probably the best place to start is ask the dealer where you purchased your bike.

Best wishes,
Mike
Colorado, USA

Thanks for being a good ambassador for the ebike community. I bet your work did not go unnoticed.

Seems you've got 2 issues

1. The bike club themselves (regardless of where they ride)
2. The specific trail you are showing, that appears to prohibit electric bikes

If the cycling club you wish to join only rides on the Santa Ana River Trail, and if ebikes are not permitted, then there's nothing you can do about that.
All bikes can have the e-assist shut down and powered like a normal bike - should be ok while with a groupmon that particular trail

All bikes can have the e-assist shut down and powered like a normal bike - should be ok while with a groupmon that particular trail
This could easily be resolved by now, the posts were from over 4 years ago, August 2015.

Back