E-Bikes On Legal, Paved Trails

A progressive over-riding thumb throttle is a valuable riding tool with MANY uses beyond the ones you mentioned. Combining one with torque-sensing assist makes for a very versatile power delivery system.

The throttle in no way defeats the purpose of torque-sensing assist, regardless of motor location. The 2 motor control methods only complement each other.

Having a throttle on my torque-sensing hub-drive doesn't force me to use it. Mine is on far less than 1% of the time and never in lieu of pedaling — only as a brief boost to the assist. A second or so of throttle is usually all it takes. Wouldn't part with mine nonetheless.

I look at it this way. Just because a bike has a throttle, doesn't mean you have to use it. For many, it's just a tool to be used under certain circumstances, like getting started on a hill or at a busy road crossing when you forget to downshift. I don't use mine much but I'm glad it's there to get me home should I have a medical emergency. If you don't like throttles, simply buy a bike without one.

Back