RIP AHicks aka Alan Hicks

Thanks for sharing this with us @tomjasz Alan D. Hicks will be missed. I updated his signature and linked to this post so others can connect. Love all of you guys, thanks for sharing your enthusiasm and friendship here.
Al and I had some contentious moments but as fellow curmudgeons we soon sorted our differences and became friends in private groups. Al was a peach of a guy and not many knew the depth of his knowledge. I’ve not cried over the passing of other fellows our age until it found this obit. I cried my way though his obit. Ride on Alan. If there’s a god and heaven Ahicks is in the first row.

I had a feeling something was up. We've lost a good one! Rest in peace!!
View attachment 162536

Alan D. Hicks of Waterford; age 72; passed away at home on August 28, 2023 after valiantly fighting a long battle with cancer; He was a lifelong resident of Waterford after moving to the township as a child. Alan was a loving partner to Carol Swayze for 18 years, brother to Jay Hicks, Jean (Don) Jones, Jerry Hicks, Marian (Mike) Axtell, Annie (Steve) Shearer and Don (Patti) Hicks. He was also a good friend to Carol’s children, Bill Swayze, Michael (Samantha) Swayze, Jennifer Swayze and Carol’s five grandchildren. He is predeceased by his parents Howard and Margarete and sister Helen Hicks. Alan had a great sense of adventure and a zest for life. As a young man, he had a multitude of interests which included water skiing, snowmobiling, scuba diving and taking trips in a 26 foot sailboat on Lake Huron. Later, he decided he wanted to learn to fly and went on to build his own airplane. He even built his own house in Gaylord so he could enjoy his love of snowmobiling and riding ATV’s. In later years, when he decided he wouldn’t fly anymore, he joined a local flying club where he loved flying radio-control airplanes and also took up riding motorcycles. Motorcycling ended after an accident and Carol cooled on the idea. After retirement, Alan and Carol bought a motor home taking many wonderful trips and ultimately found a home in Florida officially becoming snowbirds. Alan loved Florida. He joined another flying club there and developed a passion for e-bikes which he rode almost daily. If you ever wanted to find Alan, he was usually in the garage either fixing or making something or possibly working in the garden. He will be deeply missed. Per Alan’s wishes, there will be no services. The family would love if you could share a special memory on the digital guestbook. For those who wish to express their sympathy with a donation, the family request donating to their favorite charity in Alan’s name.
This one really hurts. I didn't know him in person, but his erudite posts and general awesomeness got me to register for and participate in the forums. And I told him so. Al, thanks so much for all you contributed and for being an amazing human being - you will be missed.

Al was an a contributing member to a group that talked about building and repairing things, mostly electric bikes. He has a great sense of humor and saved me several times from big mistakes. These are the final two posts he made in that group. You can see the change. At the time I didn't know what 'cocktail' meant. The second to the last line is referring to how pain makes people grumpy. He helped and encouraged many. RIP @AHicks.

Jun 28, 2023
Heat is your friend when red loctite is suspected. Like heat from a propane torch.... Heat the area of the case the bolt is screwed into....

I run into this frequently with the outboards I work on. Add a little salt water corrosion to the red loctite, and you have something that will test your patience.

Jul 13, 2023
Kinda quiet here at the moment. Hit a rough patch that is taking me a bit to get pointed back in the right direction. Seems I've made the turn with a new set of cocktails - which has also help my outlook. Slow progress, so please suggest I sit down an SUTFU when necessary......

Haven't touched a bike in several days now.... -Al

Attachments

• CruseFat6 (2).JPG
    CruseFat6 (2).JPG
    338.9 KB · Views: 105
His traces are all over this forum. I've only been here a little over a year, and AHicks never got nowhere ever close to ignore for me. All of us fight for what we believe about these new fangled ebike things, but we must respect one another's opinion. AHicks embodied that ideal.

I came across two of his posts yesterday. They were thoughtful, informative, and wise.

I keep coming across his posts too and a bunch directly to me.

I feel bad because I didn't come up with too many ACTUAL results about what I THINK is right, to post before he died.
I didn't take notes and very few pictures and I've forgotten half of what I learned.

Screenshot_20231006-123804_DuckDuckGo.jpg
Screenshot_20231006-122227_DuckDuckGo.jpg

I spent this whole biking season thinking and riding.

Back