New Vado SL 4.0 - harsh ride!

Which minute?
Well Stefan...I'd suggest that you watch all those minutes....and maybe twice in an effort to get you 'on board'. I don't suspect even the slick marketing will entice you on this one.
I don't see them road racing on this.....they just go the burrito shop and smile a lot. I don't race a lot....but I do eat a lot of burritos....and I try to smile occasionally.

Last edited:
Interesting conversation. And yes that Santa Cruz flat bar bike looks very nice indeed. Very cool. Dunno where you’re going to put the massive bike lock you’ll need to carry with you when you pop down town for that burrito!

The $7k price tag doesn’t exactly scream utilitarianism.

Here’s an interesting new vid from Alec @ cycling about discussing front fork suspension options. Some cool ideas coming down the track:

You can ride a gravel bike even with a trailer carrying your little kids if you like.

Santa Cruz has no fitness e-bike in their offer. It is a drop bars or flat handlebar gravel e-bike. Finito.

Any rumours about reliability and sustainability of Fazua motors? 😊

1695412392546.png

Once I pretended I was in the U.S. via VPN...

Last edited:
I was originally very interested in the Skitch, but as discussed the geo seems a lot more aggressive/road-bike-like than the Vado SL... Also, for what it's worth, recent comparisons between eMTBs, Santa Cruz Heckler (using same Fazua motor as the Skitch) and the Specialized Turbo Levo (using new Mahle 1.2 motor), seem to favor the Turbo Levo in terms of performance (such as climbing perf) and rider feel...

I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that as great as the bikes are that Santa Cruz makes (so I've heard), that their bike+motor integration probably isn't nearly as "flawless" as what Specialized is able to pull off currently. That's really the benefit I've felt when riding Specialized bikes vs other brands so far - Specialized is still just at the top of their game when it comes to overall integration and the most natural rider feel, in my experience.

So for the noob (like myself) that already has replaced their car with an ebike, but is looking for something lightweight/fun/class 3, what would the advanced rider suggest searching for in test rides?

I will look for comfort (riding position, least vibration to my hands/seat), power, handling/maneuverability, quietness of the motor, performance/comfort on various types of terrain, how natural the bike feels compared to an an analog bike, rideability unpowered, and build quality/software quality.

We ride on a lot of different types of terrain (though it’s rare that our asphalt is very smooth). I would be surprised if either a Vado or Skitch couldn’t help me locate a good burrito as is obviously the main point of buying such an expensive bicycle. :)

@hankj:
Been there, done that:
  • Redshift Shock Stop stem
  • Redshift Shock Stop Utility Mount and a GoPro handlebar mount for the Lezyne headlight
  • Redshift Shock Stop seat-post
  • 38 or 42 mm Specialized Pathfinder Pro 2Bliss. I recommend the tubeless setup although I ride them tubed
I have done all this on my Vado SL 4.0 EQ and ride the machine of my dreams (I have just participated in a 160 mile gravel race in difficult terrain on that e-bike).

The issue with your non-EQ is the tail-light. You might buy a Kinekt 2.1 27.2 mm suspension seatpost and drill a hole in the post to route the tail-light cable. It is described in these Forums.

View attachment 156682\\
My Vado SL exactly 2 years post-purchase with all mods.
hi @Stefan Mikes i am intrested in getting the seat post and steam but need help to figuer out witch sizes I need on both can you help please i posted a pic of what i picked is that right measurements thanks
I have vado SL 4.0

Last edited:
@Te. S: It is night here. I will answer in the morning my time.
Just a short info: The suspension seat-post is the easy thing. If you use a 350 mm one, buy a 350 mm Redshift. The diameter is exactly as Vado SL requires, that is 27.2 mm.
The stem affects the e-bike geometry. It needs to be tuned. You will also need to relocate the headlight. It requires a longer answer from me.

@mfgrep has recently gone through the "stem process" and I am sure he can valuably contribute!

Last edited:
hi @Stefan Mikes i am intrested in getting the seat post and steam but need help to figuer out witch sizes I need on both can you help please i posted a pic of what i picked is that right measurements thanks
I have vado SL 4.0

Te.S,

Before you change stems, really consider if you like where your handlebar is located. Changing stems is your opportunity to make your handlebar both closer or farther away, and also higher or even lower if any of those seem like they would be an improvement to you.

Stem change is not the only way to change your handlebar location. You can get a higher riser bar or a flat bar, you can get an alt bar that sweeps in different ways, you can use more or fewer spacers under the stem. But stem itself is key to where your handlebar ends up.

If it feels just right where it is right now, get the same rise and length as your current stem.

I have vado SL 4.0

Regarding the seat-post, your choice has been correct.

Regarding the stem, it is close to what is installed on the Vado SL (I think the stock stem is 80 mm). Now, there is a question (as properly asked by @hankj): Do you feel comfortable on your Vado SL as it is now? My issue is I have short legs but long torso and arms. My legs' length forces me riding the size M frames but I feel "squeezed" inside the cockpit., and the default configuration makes me ride too upright. My goal was to increase the space in the cockpit and decidedly lean forward in a sporty position. Therefore, I chose the 100 mm Redshift stem, installed it in the bottom position on the steerer and even flipped (slammed) it to -6 deg. Eventually, I added Innerbarends. It was good for me but it could be very bad for you if your body build is different to mine. (Redshift say the longer the stem the more effective it is but you should not upset your e-bike geometry too much).

Additional issues are the location of the Garmin/TCD mount (if you need it), and especially relocating the headlight. I eventually went the hard way (the Redshift ShockStop Wahoo Computer Mount as well as Redshift ShockStop Utility Mount, and a GoPro mount installed on the latter for the headlight).

I know @mfgrep has recently installed the RedShift ShockStop stem and his experiences could very useful! (Will you chime in @mfgrep?)

Just rode a 4.0 SL mid step in another town for about 15 minutes and was surprised at the smoothness. This was my second Vado SL 4.0 ride. I feel like my Gazelle C380 either transmits a lot more uncomfortable vibration to the hands, or Texas roads are just that bad. Such a fun bike. Most of my ride was unpowered too. Gonna wait for the new version.

Regarding the seat-post, your choice has been correct.

Regarding the stem, it is close to what is installed on the Vado SL (I think the stock stem is 80 mm). Now, there is a question (as properly asked by @hankj): Do you feel comfortable on your Vado SL as it is now? My issue is I have short legs but long torso and arms. My legs' length forces me riding the size M frames but I feel "squeezed" inside the cockpit., and the default configuration makes me ride too upright. My goal was to increase the space in the cockpit and decidedly lean forward in a sporty position. Therefore, I chose the 100 mm Redshift stem, installed it in the bottom position on the steerer and even flipped (slammed) it to -6 deg. Eventually, I added Innerbarends. It was good for me but it could be very bad for you if your body build is different to mine. (Redshift say the longer the stem the more effective it is but you should not upset your e-bike geometry too much).

Additional issues are the location of the Garmin/TCD mount (if you need it), and especially relocating the headlight. I eventually went the hard way (the Redshift ShockStop Wahoo Computer Mount as well as Redshift ShockStop Utility Mount, and a GoPro mount installed on the latter for the headlight).

I know @mfgrep has recently installed the RedShift ShockStop stem and his experiences could very useful! (Will you chime in @mfgrep?)
thank you @hankj & @Stefan Mikes yes i am very confirtable with the positoning of my handel bar i just would like to get a littel more cushioning
do i need to order shims for the handel bar and i need help with the mesurments please. is this corect

SHOCKSTOP SYSTEM

Steerer Tube Diameter: Standard 1-1/8in
Stem Angle & Length: +/-6 deg x 90mm
Seatpost Diameter & Length: PRO 27.2 x 350mm
and added
Computer Type: Garmin

Last edited:
That is correct and you need no shim. Is PRO made of carbon? Well... no experience!

You mean, the Computer Mount for Garmin. OK!

What will you do to relocate the headlight?
thanks i don't know yet about the front light i have to take a closer look at it how its setup.

Back