New Vado SL 4.0 - harsh ride!

I'll be interested to hear your thoughts. That bar looks like a 'dead ringer' in form/shape/sweep when compared to the OEM Vado SL bar....BUT CARBON!! Shweet.
And a great deal lighter too!
IMG_20231004_163402.jpg
IMG_20231004_152630.jpg

I'm a fan. I've had them on a few of my gravel/city bikes and love the ability to get another hand position with straight bars. Good on long rides. There are cheaper off-brand ones available, but I have some other SQLabs stuff and am happy with it.

I'm a fan. I've had them on a few of my gravel/city bikes and love the ability to get another hand position with straight bars. Good on long rides. There are cheaper off-brand ones available, but I have some other SQLabs stuff and am happy with it.
I am a fan, too. The only situation I grab the regular grips is very rough terrain where I need the maximum handlebars leverage for the Vado SL. On Vado 6.0, I rest my hands on Ergon GP2s solely in the situation of a long ride with the tailwind :)

Good discussion about bike vibration and bike/rider performance on the Cade Media podcast on YouTube.
(28:35 start).

Just to add per @Stefan Mikes mention: I have the Vado SL 4.0 and recently added the RedShift stem. The most similar RedShift stem when compared to your stock/OEM specialized stem for that bike would be the RedShift 80mm 6 degree stem. Like the Specialized stem....this stem can be installed to provide an upward angle or if reversed a downward 6 degree angle.

The installation is dead simple and requires nothing aside from allen wrenches although a torque wrench would be best.

As others mentioned....RedShift offers other stem lengths so this would be an excellent time to consider whether you might like your bars further out or closer....but the 80mm is so very very close to OEM configuration that you are unlikely to notice a difference when compared to your current setup (Specialized installs the stem at the upward angle configuration). At first install I wasn't sure that I was getting much benefit if any from the suspension.....which in hindsight is a good thing....because this stem will not provide so much suspension as to 'distort' the character of the bike or make your handling squishy. After some miles I really do enjoy the RedShift suspension stem and find it to be a worthy addition....in fact my hands no longer become numb after long rides. Just understand that you will not be suddenly astonished at the results from this suspension stem....it is subtle....again a good thing.

Important Note To Consider: Your front headlight mounts to your OEM stem and is handled via a Specialized plastic mount which affixes/slides into a 'notch' which is part of the bottom portion of your OEM metal stem. Once you remove your OEM stem to replace with the RedShift stem you lose the mounting notch and you will need to find an acceptable solution to re-mount your headlamp. I pondered many of these solutions which can be found here at the forum....some more sophisticated than others but few satisfactory to me. I came across a Lezyne (the manufacturer of your headlamp) stem mount part number 1-LED-RP-EMTSTM-V104. Surprisingly this part is not so easily available via retail but I found it here on ebay for $20 https://www.ebay.com/itm/275113452048 While I waited for this to arrive....I simply zip-tied the headlamp to my RedShift stem.

This Lezyne headlamp stem mount arrives with everything that you will require to smartly mount the headlight along with your RedShift suspension stem. It will mount to your choice of the front top two stem mount screws or the bottom two stem screws....whichever works best for you (I used the lower screws). I had posted some photos of my installation here somewhere.....but it results in a clean, smart looking, and very secure way to re-mount your headlight....in fact better than original in my opinion.

Here is your OEM stem uninstalled from the bike.....bottom view....and this 'notch' or cut-out is where the plastic mount atop your headlamp slides into the stem for mounting purposes. Once you give up the OEM stem you also give up this method of mounting the head lamp.

View attachment 163423

and here is a photo of the headlamp mounted with the Lezyne stem mount along with the RedShift stem:

View attachment 163424
Thanks i was on the fence on the Stem but thanks to you i am going to order it soon but in 90mm Thanks for the wright up.

Good discussion about bike vibration and bike/rider performance on the Cade Media podcast on YouTube.
Oh, well, it should be obvious :) Fancy you have ridden into the same rough terrain on a gravel bike and then repeated it on a full suspension MTB. However good the gravel bike geometry is, you would need to slow down on the gravel bike (unless you are a "horse", or a competing rider with tons of experience) but the MTB would be just flowing there at high speed! There is also yet another factor that could not be brought up in the podcast: the e-bike weight. A heavy e-bike (unless it is a FS e-MTB) would handle far worse in rough terrain than a lightweight one.

Hi

Do you think it would be a good solution to mount this headlight after getting the Redshift stem? I'm in a hurry to take advantage of Black Friday.

I would be grateful if you also write down the appropriate stem specifications for the Vado SL 4 EQ. (Buying the right one is very confusing)

Many thanks
Yaman

Attachments

• 51huDsT4GgL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
    51huDsT4GgL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 39
Hi

Do you think it would be a good solution to mount this headlight after getting the Redshift stem? I'm in a hurry to take advantage of Black Friday.

I would be grateful if you also write down the appropriate stem specifications for the Vado SL 4 EQ. (Buying the right one is very confusing)

Many thanks
Yaman

I bought this https://www.ebay.com/itm/2751134520...URtwDhNRru&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Hi

Many thanks
Yaman

1000008737.png

The part number is up there. Made by Lezyne

Back