New trek police bike

Visited the Trek world HQ today... Snagged my ebike from them. We had some rain locally yesterday, so unfortunately their private secret test singletrack was closed... :(

I also spoke with the reps in charge of their ebikes, who explained they were made aware of the police ebikes being sold to regular consumers through their stores. I was told they nixed that a month ago to restrict sales to LE agencies. I believe it has something to do with this being a beefed up MTB frameset, and a class 3 motor? I can only guess they didn't want MTBs on trails doing 28mph? I didn't pry on the subject.

I'm looking forward to getting the bike out for more than the short 20 minute ride around my neighborhood after I got home...

View attachment 26900

Trihonda-Thanks for the updates on the Trek PE issue. I kinda believe what you are saying is true about the restrictions made by Trek corporate.

So you were at the HQ in Waterloo to do your E-bike pickup? My LBS indicated Trek was very strict for them to release the bike to buyers with the 'Police' sticker on it. Perhaps there is an exception if picking up directly.
BTW-Thanks for posting a pic. Your new bike looks perfect straight out of the factory. Perhaps you can provide any updates posting how you like it, pros and cons, etc. Enjoy!

Last edited:
Well, Trek has treated me very kindly by allowing me to p/u direct. However, I imagine it has something to do with my involvement in the project. In 2016 Trek approached me and asked for some input into their police e bike development. On several occasions I visited the Trek HQ to provide feedback on their new police ebike while it was still in the design/prototype phase of development. They even gave me the prototype to ride at work for a month or two, and I provided feedback. I believe my part in designing the current police ebike was small, but it was still a part I’m proud of.

As An aside, I got to sit in on some design meetings for a glimpse of how they go about designing their bikes.. they started with a brainstorming meeting to identify an imaginary customer, and determine this imaginary customer’s needs, then What features the customer might want/need in a bike. It was cool. As a fanboy of Trek bikes, they gave me an entire vip experience, with a behind the scenes tour of all their operations. Pretty cool stuff.

Here was me during one of the visits to Trek, where they presented me with the prototype. Rare glimpse of the bike in the design phase...

DFD057A5-1ECF-4C74-8C00-C28542892C68.jpeg

Visited the Trek world HQ today... Snagged my ebike from them. We had some rain locally yesterday, so unfortunately their private secret test singletrack was closed... :(

I also spoke with the reps in charge of their ebikes, who explained they were made aware of the police ebikes being sold to regular consumers through their stores. I was told they nixed that a month ago to restrict sales to LE agencies. I believe it has something to do with this being a beefed up MTB frameset, and a class 3 motor? I can only guess they didn't want MTBs on trails doing 28mph? I didn't pry on the subject.

I'm looking forward to getting the bike out for more than the short 20 minute ride around my neighborhood after I got home...

Congratulations! You are going to love this bike. I have had it since last week in July. Biking daily to work. Put over 1000 miles on it. The only thing I have changed are the tires. I was getting flats way too often with the original G-One Performance so I switched to Schwalbe Marathon Almotion 29x2.0 tubeless tires. Never had a flat since then. For our Pacific Northwest rainy season I also added some fenders and integrated lighting.

Daily Commute 3 Months Report.jpg

This is my winter (rain) gear.

Bike Rain Gear 01.jpg Bike Rain Gear 02.jpg

Congratulations! You are going to love this bike. I have had it since last week in July. Biking daily to work. Put over 1000 miles on it. The only thing I have changed are the tires. I was getting flats way too often with the original G-One Performance so I switched to Schwalbe Marathon Almotion 29x2.0 tubeless tires. Never had a flat since then. For our Pacific Northwest rainy season I also added some fenders and integrated lighting.

View attachment 26958

View attachment 26956 View attachment 26957

The integrated lighting interests me. What did you do? How? This was one of my recommendations to Trek, to have a plug/play system for lights that could operate on the ebike battery system. It was not incorporated into the final design that I know of.

Well, Trek has treated me very kindly by allowing me to p/u direct. However, I imagine it has something to do with my involvement in the project. In 2016 Trek approached me and asked for some input into their police e bike development. On several occasions I visited the Trek HQ to provide feedback on their new police ebike while it was still in the design/prototype phase of development. They even gave me the prototype to ride at work for a month or two, and I provided feedback. I believe my part in designing the current police ebike was small, but it was still a part I’m proud of.

As An aside, I got to sit in on some design meetings for a glimpse of how they go about designing their bikes.. they started with a brainstorming meeting to identify an imaginary customer, and determine this imaginary customer’s needs, then What features the customer might want/need in a bike. It was cool. As a fanboy of Trek bikes, they gave me an entire vip experience, with a behind the scenes tour of all their operations. Pretty cool stuff.

Here was me during one of the visits to Trek, where they presented me with the prototype. Rare glimpse of the bike in the design phase...

View attachment 26937

What a great opportunity! That must of have been loads of fun during the design process. The design of this bike is near perfect IMO, especially how everything is so well integrated (motor, battery, etc). The only thing that needs tweaking is the tires and of course the integrated light you mentioned.
I yet to see any negative reviews for this bike. A total winner overall as far as being in the 'hybrid' class with a speed motor. Great story attached to your ownership indeed.

View attachment 26958

View attachment 26956 View attachment 26957

paraganek-According to your chart, you rode 41 miles in July @ 15.7 mph average speed. Just curious if that was on 2 full charge cycles on your battery to ride that total distance at those speeds? What is your total mileage on one full charge riding in those conditions?

The integrated lighting interests me. What did you do? How? This was one of my recommendations to Trek, to have a plug/play system for lights that could operate on the ebike battery system. It was not incorporated into the final design that I know of.

I took it to the store I had bought it from and asked them. They were able to add the lighting and plug it directly to a harness somewhere inside the motor (I was told they had to partially expose the connections inside the motor). Now I can control it via button on my Purion controller.
This is the item description:
LIGHT AND MOTION NIP-N-TUCK SET (NIP 500 & TUCK), Item Number: NIP21279220K, MSRP: $99.99

27160-418e5e5e8275cf0215b649e3308093b6.jpg

Attachments

• Headlight.jpg
    Headlight.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 456
Last edited:
paraganek-According to your chart, you rode 41 miles in July @ 15.7 mph average speed. Just curious if that was on 2 full charge cycles on your battery to ride that total distance at those speeds? What is your total mileage on one full charge riding in those conditions?

On a full charge I can make four trips. That is 30 miles with 3000 ft elevation gain. I ride 70% on TOUR (flats and slight uphills) and 30% on SPORT (steeper uphills). Because I try to keep the battery charged only between 20% and 80% I plug it in more often. I keep two chargers, one at home and the other at work.

I received my Police Electric in October. Some of the modifications made so far have been to de-sticker the frame and wheels, replace the stem and handlebars for a more comfortable fit, installed a bell, added a suspension seatpost and rear fender, hard wired a front headlight along with installing a wire in the rear rack that will connect to a rear light. There are just a few more items to be installed and it should be a good setup for my needs.

I received my Police Electric in October. Some of the modifications made so far have been to de-sticker the frame and wheels, replace the stem and handlebars for a more comfortable fit, installed a bell, added a suspension seatpost and rear fender, hard wired a front headlight along with installing a wire in the rear rack that will connect to a rear light. There are just a few more items to be installed and it should be a good setup for my needs.
Spin Cycle,-How about posting a pic or two of your PE. Sounds like you are doing some great mods to one of my favorite and sought after E-bikes from last year. How do you like the performance? Does it meet your expectations and fulfill all of your needs?

I have also swapped the kickstand, added a water bottle cage, attached an under saddle bag with a rear blinky light and blacked out the tire lettering.
Trek PE 1.JPGTrek PE 2.JPGTrek PE 3.JPG

This bike is a fun ride. I have only ridden about 400 miles that were mostly on paved bike paths. I have a few more changes and items to add that should complete the mods for now.

I have also swapped the kickstand, added a water bottle cage, attached an under saddle bag with a rear blinky light and blacked out the tire lettering.
View attachment 28758View attachment 28759View attachment 28760

This bike is a fun ride. I have only ridden about 400 miles that were mostly on paved bike paths. I have a few more changes and items to add that should complete the mods for now.

Thanks for posting. Your bike is really looking sharp. Like the seat post add on for a comfortable ride. One of the best looking Treks IMO.

I went with the SKS X-Blade fender for the rear which enables me to quickly and easily remove it when I feel it would not be needed.
It appears that tubeless tires are gaining in popularity and may work for me in the future. The Schwalbe G-One Allround Performance tires seem like nice tires however I was surprised that I got a flat in about 200 miles only riding on the bike path. I just received a set of Vittoria Revolution Tech in the 50-622 size that has a puncture protection layer that I'll try next.

I went with the SKS X-Blade fender for the rear which enables me to quickly and easily remove it when I feel it would not be needed.
It appears that tubeless tires are gaining in popularity and may work for me in the future. The Schwalbe G-One Allround Performance tires seem like nice tires however I was surprised that I got a flat in about 200 miles only riding on the bike path. I just received a set of Vittoria Revolution Tech in the 50-622 size that has a puncture protection layer that I'll try next.

Yeah, I have read reviews about riders complaining about the stock tires that are sold on the PB. Not sure if they are the Snake Skins, however, they do not seem to have quite as good puncture protection as other tires with the added layers of protection. I think the Vittoria tires are a well made tire from what I have read. Hope they work out for you.

View attachment 28758View attachment 28759View attachment 28760

Sharp looking bike! Is this the police model? Were you able to purchase it through a local shop?

I find this bike to be excellent for commuting and light trails (fire roads). It’s really a great all around bike that tops out at 28mph and is cheaper than the Super Commuter 8s and faster than the Super Commuter 7. My commute is very hilly, so this has really made an otherwise nasty commute enjoyable and quick. I’m slowly accessorizing it with lights, bags, etc. to accommodate my commute and some backcountry rides.

Trek is selling the last of their 2018 models to the general public through their Superstores under the name Powerfly Speed (limited sizes available).

Sharp looking bike! Is this the police model? Were you able to purchase it through a local shop?
This is the police model without the "police" decal attached. The LBS was reluctant to sell it to me because Trek had issued to their dealers a directive that they were only to be sold to municipalities. They bypassed this restriction by labeling it as "PowerSpeedFly".

Thanks to all. I’ll keep watching. Ebike models change quickly so who knows what will be available as the market continues to grow.

Just picked up a 2019 Police Electric for a steal, does anyone have any good links or videos for installing wired head and tail lights? I feel like it should be a DIY kind of thing but can't really find much on it. Any assistance would be appreciated.

Side note from that. When I purchased the bike I got it from a fellow who put about 650 miles on it, and immediately upon purchasing it had some issues with it shifting correctly. Took it to my LBS and it ended up being the rear bearing/hub had basically blown completely out. This seems to be a common issue with this model, but am not sure if it is from the bearing its self maybe just being too weak or something else. If anyone has any upgrade tips or advice on that issue that would also be appreciated. Thanks for reading and this post has been great for information so far!

Attachments

• 52384622_2301840010094291_3770846642958237696_n.jpg
    52384622_2301840010094291_3770846642958237696_n.jpg
    230.2 KB · Views: 286
Back