New trek police bike

Just picked up a 2019 Police Electric for a steal, does anyone have any good links or videos for installing wired head and tail lights? I feel like it should be a DIY kind of thing but can't really find much on it. Any assistance would be appreciated.

Side note from that. When I purchased the bike I got it from a fellow who put about 650 miles on it, and immediately upon purchasing it had some issues with it shifting correctly. Took it to my LBS and it ended up being the rear bearing/hub had basically blown completely out. This seems to be a common issue with this model, but am not sure if it is from the bearing its self maybe just being too weak or something else. If anyone has any upgrade tips or advice on that issue that would also be appreciated. Thanks for reading and this post has been great for information so far!

You can use this video to install lights.
For lights, I recommend this one. It comes with all the mounts and it's really good for under $100 and puts out 1000 lumens.

Lezyne: https://www.lezyne.com/product-led-ebike-macro1000.php

YOu could also use: https://www.lightandmotion.com/shop/bike-lights/lights-for-e-bikes/nip-n-tuck-e-bike-set/

Last edited:
Just picked up a 2019 Police Electric for a steal, does anyone have any good links or videos for installing wired head and tail lights? I feel like it should be a DIY kind of thing but can't really find much on it. Any assistance would be appreciated.

Side note from that. When I purchased the bike I got it from a fellow who put about 650 miles on it, and immediately upon purchasing it had some issues with it shifting correctly. Took it to my LBS and it ended up being the rear bearing/hub had basically blown completely out. This seems to be a common issue with this model, but am not sure if it is from the bearing its self maybe just being too weak or something else. If anyone has any upgrade tips or advice on that issue that would also be appreciated. Thanks for reading and this post has been great for information so far!

Nice score. How much of a steal?

And at looking at your pic, it almost appeared as if there was a dropper seat post, then I realized it was a rear blinky light, lol.. Trek's first prototype had a dropper post on it, and I strongly advocated for getting rid of it. The Trek design team was pretty stubborn, claiming that it was "all-the-rage" and everyone was doing it, lol.. Well, in police work, there's very little need for dropper post, and it just adds more moving parts and complexity, which we don't need. Sorry for all the non-police folks who may have thought a dropper a swell idea. Plus, ditching the dropper saved you'all some $... :)

Nice score. How much of a steal?

And at looking at your pic, it almost appeared as if there was a dropper seat post, then I realized it was a rear blinky light, lol.. Trek's first prototype had a dropper post on it, and I strongly advocated for getting rid of it. The Trek design team was pretty stubborn, claiming that it was "all-the-rage" and everyone was doing it, lol.. Well, in police work, there's very little need for dropper post, and it just adds more moving parts and complexity, which we don't need. Sorry for all the non-police folks who may have thought a dropper a swell idea. Plus, ditching the dropper saved you'all some $... :)

A guy was leaving the Island and ended up getting rid of the bike in near new condition (minus the read wheel I ended up replacing for $200), a very nice helmet, headlight, and some other random accessories for $1,700. The only thing it didn't have on it was the bike rack that came with it, but I just took my Ibera from my previous bike and threw that on.

Thats good information about the seat dropper btw, I never would have realized that about this bike. It wouldn't be a bad thing to have but definitely not necessary. Thanks for the knowledge!

You can use this video to install lights.
For lights, I recommend this one. It comes with all the mounts and it's really good for under $100 and puts out 1000 lumens.

Lezyne: https://www.lezyne.com/product-led-ebike-macro1000.php

YOu could also use: https://www.lightandmotion.com/shop/bike-lights/lights-for-e-bikes/nip-n-tuck-e-bike-set/

Thank you very much for the information and recommendation! That gives me a good place to start. Seems pretty straight forward.

A guy was leaving the Island and ended up getting rid of the bike in near new condition (minus the read wheel I ended up replacing for $200), a very nice helmet, headlight, and some other random accessories for $1,700. The only thing it didn't have on it was the bike rack that came with it, but I just took my Ibera from my previous bike and threw that on.

Thats good information about the seat dropper btw, I never would have realized that about this bike. It wouldn't be a bad thing to have but definitely not necessary. Thanks for the knowledge!
Congrats on your Police-bike purchase. That is a great bargain for that bike. Enjoy!

Just a crazy thought...A $4000 bike with 650 miles in 'like new condition' for $1700. Did the prior owner provide a paper trail aka receipt
when he purchased it etc or in other words....Is it stolen ?

Just a crazy thought...A $4000 bike with 650 miles in 'like new condition' for $1700. Did the prior owner provide a paper trail aka receipt
when he purchased it etc or in other words....Is it stolen ?

I thought that, except he is a Doctor on a military base, and he did provide all paperwork for the bike, and I also took it back to the same bike shop he purchased it from and they all remembered him. I made sure to cover all basis before taking it off his hands. The bike shop mechanic thinks that he may have thought the hub was a bigger deal than it really was and he just didn't want to deal with it.

I thought that, except he is a Doctor on a military base, and he did provide all paperwork for the bike, and I also took it back to the same bike shop he purchased it from and they all remembered him. I made sure to cover all basis before taking it off his hands. The bike shop mechanic thinks that he may have thought the hub was a bigger deal than it really was and he just didn't want to deal with it.

Hello, I'm so happy to hear the back story on your bike is good ! Your bike shop mechanic brings up a great point that the prior owner might have said "Oh Wow !
All the best to you and your bike : )

I love the design of the police ebike but after reading many of these posts, it is almost a given, everyone wants to customize the one they have. The new MSRP is $3999 so add the upgrades and you are in the 4500 to $5000 range. Am I close?
Still too pricy for me sad to say. The folks finding used bikes are the smart ones.

Trek is crazy to have the no sell policy to the public based on speed on trails if I heard/read correctly. Hey, Dodge will sell a 700+ hp car to the public and if someone wants to kill themself in it, that is fine with Dodge. What logic am I missing? I appreciate this forum and value the discussion/s.

I love the design of the police ebike but after reading many of these posts, it is almost a given, everyone wants to customize the one they have. The new MSRP is $3999 so add the upgrades and you are in the 4500 to $5000 range. Am I close?
Still too pricy for me sad to say. The folks finding used bikes are the smart ones.

Trek is crazy to have the no sell policy to the public based on speed on trails if I heard/read correctly. Hey, Dodge will sell a 700+ hp car to the public and if someone wants to kill themself in it, that is fine with Dodge. What logic am I missing? I appreciate this forum and value the discussion/s.

You are spot on with Trek's policy with the PB. Makes absolutely no sense at all with their corporate decision. I was ready to pull the trigger on that bike, then they told me sorry, I cannot purchase it due to their 'eligibility' policy. I have been a long time customer of Trek, however, I now have taken my business elsewhere. Their loss, not mine.

You are spot on with Trek's policy with the PB. Makes absolutely no sense at all with their corporate decision. I was ready to pull the trigger on that bike, then they told me sorry, I cannot purchase it due to their 'eligibility' policy. I have been a long time customer of Trek, however, I now have taken my business elsewhere. Their loss, not mine.
There IS a way to get one, But you have to tell a WHITE lie, and obtain a Suitable letterhead. ?

Ahh, interesting! If you decide to go that route, just make sure you remove the police sticker from the top tube.
I Don't really want one, But the one's I've been allowed to inspect up close, have a Removable sticker and come with others such as Sheriff, Security, Etc. ?

I Don't really want one, But the one's I've been allowed to inspect up close, have a Removable sticker and come with others such as Sheriff, Security, Etc. ?

Ian Moone- Never heard of that one with those sticker/decals, Which E-bike are you referring to if I may ask?

Trek makes a specific Police bike... a really nice one! Looks a lot like a Powerfly 5 but has the Performance Speed motor, among other things. Used to be available to the general public, no more.

Trek makes a specific Police bike... a really nice one! Looks a lot like a Powerfly 5 but has the Performance Speed motor, among other things. Used to be available to the general public, no more.

Dave-You've got that right! When I first saw the bike, it ticked all of my boxes and I followed-up with two Trek LBS for that bike. They had a live fish on their line until they gave me the bad news. High hopes came tumbling down on that deal. In the interim, I test rode others at the dealership, however, no PB, no sale. The Powerfly is also a real beauty. I just would have to put a speed delimiter on it if I was to consider owning it.

Dave-You've got that right! When I first saw the bike, it ticked all of my boxes and I followed-up with two Trek LBS for that bike. They had a live fish on their line until they gave me the bad news. High hopes came tumbling down on that deal. In the interim, I test rode others at the dealership, however, no PB, no sale. The Powerfly is also a real beauty. I just would have to put a speed delimiter on it if I was to consider owning it.
OR ... Develop a Friendship with one of your local finest, to obtain a Department Letterhead ! It usually doesn't take much more than that ! ??

OR ... Develop a Friendship with one of your local finest, to obtain a Department Letterhead ! It usually doesn't take much more than that ! ??

It is surprising that it only takes a department letterhead to bypass all of the red tape. I thought perhaps they would be a bit more thorough than that. You really believe Trek corporate would have that much flexibility?

It is surprising that it only takes a department letterhead to bypass all of the red tape. I thought perhaps they would be a bit more thorough than that. You really believe Trek corporate would have that much flexibility?
I think in the end, It's the Dollar that matters ... After all we're talking about a bike, Not a Weapon. ?

Back