New trek police bike

Sounds a lot like an xm700+. Very strong headlight, fenders, Bosch Performance Speed motor... retail (at least last spring) $3499. I offered the bike shop $3000 even and they took it for a brand new one. Stole a rack and taillight off one of my other bikes, and 5200 miles later still going strong. Threw some panniers on it and did the whole Erie Canal trip last fall as well. It’s a terrific bike which for some reason gets overlooked a lot.

I seriously considered the XM700 but according to Trek's sizing chart the large would not even come close to fitting me at 6'5" and they do not offer an XL. It was hard for me to change brands. I was very loyal to Trek, but 2G's difference, well,... I guess my loyalty has a price.

Last edited:
Yeah, mine is the large size - 55cm - and I can see where someone much taller than me at 6 feet would be cramped on it. Your height would be tough for sure.

Just got my first flat tire at 530 miles ridden on my stock G-One Performance tires. Is the a pretty normal interval for punctures?
I only ride on paved suburban roads.
Thinking if maybe getting some more durable tires would help.

Just an FYI, I checked with my local Trek shop last night and they said Trek has moved to a more strict distribution system and won't be selling the Police Electric to civilians any more. At least that's what they have told my local shop. Bummer, really liked the PE and was seriously considering it. From what I can see there doesn't seem to be anything else Trek has that's close to the PE is there?

You are correct! Trek USA has also indicated the PE is only available to law enforcement officials. They won't even sell you the bike if you ask a police friend to buy it for you and just have the stickers removed. Their policies have turned to be much more strict than I ever anticipated. Perhaps they will lose some business over that new policy. We shall see...

Dave, I agree with you and not because I'm a fellow XM700+ owner : ) I've wondered myself why the XM 700 doesn't get the 'love' some others brands/bikes do ? Perhaps the price point?....But hey, "Ya get what ya pay for " It's boringly reliable, zero problems, tons of fun. I don't get it, but the Police Bike was getting some good 'buzz' and I'm thinking because it combines the best of both styles. MTB and a Class 3

Regarding the Bosch Performance Line Motor in the XM700+ and the Police Motor, my LBS confirmed the motor in both bikes is the same unit...exact same part number.

Yeah, my LTD told me the same thing and the speed motors are not individually tuned for each given bike they sell (ie: SC+8S,XM700, etc). Same motor installed in all of these bikes 'as is' per the dealer rep.

You are correct! Trek USA has also indicated the PE is only available to law enforcement officials. They won't even sell you the bike if you ask a police friend to buy it for you and just have the stickers removed. Their policies have turned to be much more strict than I ever anticipated. Perhaps they will lose some business over that new policy. We shall see...

I'm wondering, what could be the business reasoning behind this?

I'm wondering, what could be the business reasoning behind this?

Very good question! Sounds like it is not a very sound business decision on Trek's part being there is interest in this model by many. I asked that question and they simply stated that is was their own corporate decision that they decided on. That's it.

Last edited:
New here, and was heartened when first reading this thread, that the police model might be available to the gen public. Then saddened when reading later on ITT that it would be restricted. I’m fortunate enough that I have one on order already and it should be here within two weeks.
Thank you to Matt for this thread, and all the pics and mods.

FYI, the original Trek police I tested came with the center display, but the final version had the smaller version mounted left handle bar). I greatly preferred the center mounted version, but Trek explained that they went with the smaller one to bring the costs down for the police market.

As for colors. If it's labeled "police", doesn't it have to be all black and tactical? :) Though that red on the commuter version is hawt!

Just got my first flat tire at 530 miles ridden on my stock G-One Performance tires. Is the a pretty normal interval for punctures?
I only ride on paved suburban roads.
Thinking if maybe getting some more durable tires would help.

There is no normal interval, especially since I do not know the nature of your bike's flat. A very large percentage of flats is not caused by debris, but from not keeping the proper amount of air pressure in the tires.

I think the G-One tires would be best run tubeless. Sealant would take care of all but the nastiest of punctures or cuts.

New here, and was heartened when first reading this thread, that the police model might be available to the gen public. Then saddened when reading later on ITT that it would be restricted. I’m fortunate enough that I have one on order already and it should be here within two weeks.
Thank you to Matt for this thread, and all the pics and mods.

FYI, the original Trek police I tested came with the center display, but the final version had the smaller version mounted left handle bar). I greatly preferred the center mounted version, but Trek explained that they went with the smaller one to bring the costs down for the police market.

As for colors. If it's labeled "police", doesn't it have to be all black and tactical? :) Though that red on the commuter version is hawt!

Great news on your PE! You must of got in at just the right time to beat the restrictions. I myself like the Intuvia center mount opposed to the Purion side mount, however I would opt for the Nyon to get a wider range of options in one interface. If you can, post some pictures with any potential upgrades. :cool:

Last edited:
Great news on your PE! You must of got in at just the right time to beat the restrictions. I myself like the Intuvia center opposed to the Purion side mount, however I would opt for the Nyon to get a wider range of options in one interface. If you can, post some pictures with any potential upgrades. :cool:

Where would someone buy an intuvia display? How much are they, and how easy is the swap?

There is no normal interval, especially since I do not know the nature of your bike's flat. A very large percentage of flats is not caused by debris, but from not keeping the proper amount of air pressure in the tires.

I think the G-One tires would be best run tubeless. Sealant would take care of all but the nastiest of punctures or cuts.

In the last four weeks I got three flats, same wheel (rear). Finally discovered a microscopic shard of glass embedded into the tire.
Decided to go tubeless after this painful experience. I put Schwalbe Marathon Almotion 29x2.0 tubeless tires on. Hoping this will take care of all the road debris I commute over on daily basis.

There happens to be a trek police bike for sale at
Trek Bicycle Superstore

in San Marcos, California

Address: 1617 Capalina Rd B, San Marcos, CA 92069

Hours:
Closes soon: 7PM ⋅ Opens 10AM Fri

Phone: (760) 599-9735
I test road it last week ... i have a super commuter 8s .......it road ok a little cheap feeling but for the money nice bike.

I have been very happy with mine so far. I have had it for two months now and put just a little over 700 miles on it.
Did a couple of upgrades:
- Schwalbe Marathon Almotion 29x2.0 tubeless tires
- Front and rear fenders
- Hardwired lights NIP 500
- Pedal soft covers (for riding barefoot)
- Cargo bags

P1230235.JPG P1230234.JPG

P1230237.JPG P1230233.JPG

P1230238.JPG Ride barefoot 01.jpg

P1230239.JPG P1230240.JPG

Last edited:
There happens to be a trek police bike for sale at
Trek Bicycle Superstore

in San Marcos, California

Address: 1617 Capalina Rd B, San Marcos, CA 92069

Hours:
Closes soon: 7PM ⋅ Opens 10AM Fri

Phone: (760) 599-9735
I test road it last week ... i have a super commuter 8s .......it road ok a little cheap feeling but for the money nice bike.

Fast-Thanks for the heads up! Unfortunately they will not ship outside CA and only deliver within 100 miles. Arrrgghh...

I have been very happy with mine so far. I have had it for two months now and put just a little over 700 miles on it.
Did a couple of upgrades:
- Schwalbe Marathon Almotion 29x2.0 tubeless tires
- Front and rear fenders
- Hardwired lights NIP 500
- Pedal soft covers (for riding barefoot)
- Cargo bags

View attachment 26028 View attachment 26027

View attachment 26029 View attachment 26026

View attachment 26030 View attachment 26033

View attachment 26031 View attachment 26032

Very interesting. Riding barefoot has gotta be a lot of fun! Was not familiar with the pedal covers. Ride safe!:p

Visited the Trek world HQ today... Snagged my ebike from them. We had some rain locally yesterday, so unfortunately their private secret test singletrack was closed... :(

I also spoke with the reps in charge of their ebikes, who explained they were made aware of the police ebikes being sold to regular consumers through their stores. I was told they nixed that a month ago to restrict sales to LE agencies. I believe it has something to do with this being a beefed up MTB frameset, and a class 3 motor? I can only guess they didn't want MTBs on trails doing 28mph? I didn't pry on the subject.

I'm looking forward to getting the bike out for more than the short 20 minute ride around my neighborhood after I got home...

Ebike.JPG

Back