New trek police bike

Evidently, the Nyon works on an Intuvia base. Can you have the dealer upgrade to Intuvia? That's my plan.

This is a sweet interface! Way to go for 350.00 US dollars. The motor tweaking function alone is nice, instead of having to take it in to you LBD to have it customized.

Makes sense. Cars are leased.

How do you convince someone to rent an eBike? I won't be able to demo the 2019 Trek i am interested in, unless i order it. Or, they happen to be getting one.

Sometimes it does work. It depends on the dealer. I have mentioned this issue, and they were willing to rent a demo for the day at a fair price. Can't hurt to just ask. You may be surprised.

My local dealer told me the same thing. I have to do a purchase order to get the bike in there and do my test rides. Full commitment up front.

I have heard that Bosch has no plans to introduce Nyon to the North American market. They are available on ebay in the old 1 gig version for under $100. For another $200 you can get the controller shipped from Germany. It really is not difficult to install.

Here is a thread I started a while back in which I posted a step by step installation guide.

https://electricbikereview.com/forums/threads/nyon-retrofit.16260/

My Cube has the original Intuvia which is fine but I much prefer riding with the Nyon.

Sometimes it does work. It depends on the dealer. I have mentioned this issue, and they were willing to rent a demo for the day at a fair price. Can't hurt to just ask. You may be surprised.

My local dealer told me the same thing. I have to do a purchase order to get the bike in there and do my test rides. Full commitment up front.

I talked with the bike shop that i bought two ordinary bikes from. They are totally professional. They knew the answers to all my ebike questions. Their policy is 100% refund within 30 days.

I have moved, so they are on the other side of Denver. I sold my car to go to bike-only. Getting service from them would be very inconvenient, but i might go with them. They may offer a mobile repair service, but will not decide for a month.

John-Sounds like a plan. Make sure you do not get the Bikespeed confused with the Badass box which is from a company in Germany that will ship to the USA. Perhaps Alaskan can jump in and let us know what his experience has been up til now with his Badass box indicated below.

Alaskan's Badass Box

Great choice to combine both (the dongle) on the CX. The ultimate setup motor would be the torque of the CX along with the speed of the class 3. No one (from what I have seen) has complained about any concern of undue stress on the motors using a speed dongle.

Here is a crazy thought. Swap out the motors between bikes with the speed dongles. Not sure if the bolt patterns and electronics are the same or not. The other part is having a skilled and qualified/certified Trek tech do the job to your satisfaction as well. Can get interesting! :p

Bob, Thanks for the tip on two Speed Dongles. I checked your link to 'Alaskans' report on the Badass Box he installed on his Cube, yet on this forum post reply dated 8/4 he included a list of mods to his Cube, the first being... That he installed Bikespeed RS .? Perhaps he switched ? I'm going to go with the Bikespeed RS from Germany.

I appreciate your support regarding the CX and adding the dongle. Sometimes I begin to think my ideas can be a little nutty. Regarding your thought about swapping the motors between bikes...I think I know where you're going with that... My thought, Since I so enjoy the CX in my PF7, I'll put the dongle in the CX motor in my PF and see how it feels. I'm expecting great things, if it all works out seamlessly I'll buy a CX motor and have my LBS install it in my XM700. I'm assuming the swap is a simple plug and pray...( He said )

I completely agree with you that the Bosch CX Motor ( and I'm sure other quality brands ) delivering the wide torque along with a Dongle would be the 'ultimate' combo. For the 'record'. My intent is have the motor assist to 22-24 ish mph max. I have no aka zero or need or desire to scream along at 28-30 plus mph.

This thread is sort of wandering far from the Trek Police Bike Post, perhaps I should move to ??? I don't want to waste anyone's time

Bob, Thanks for the tip on two Speed Dongles. I checked your link to 'Alaskans' report on the Badass Box he installed on his Cube, yet on this forum post reply dated 8/4 he included a list of mods to his Cube, the first being... That he installed Bikespeed RS .? Perhaps he switched ? I'm going to go with the Bikespeed RS from Germany.

I appreciate your support regarding the CX and adding the dongle. Sometimes I begin to think my ideas can be a little nutty. Regarding your thought about swapping the motors between bikes...I think I know where you're going with that... My thought, Since I so enjoy the CX in my PF7, I'll put the dongle in the CX motor in my PF and see how it feels. I'm expecting great things, if it all works out seamlessly I'll buy a CX motor and have my LBS install it in my XM700. I'm assuming the swap is a simple plug and pray...( He said )

I completely agree with you that the Bosch CX Motor ( and I'm sure other quality brands ) delivering the wide torque along with a Dongle would be the 'ultimate' combo. For the 'record'. My intent is have the motor assist to 22-24 ish mph max. I have no aka zero or need or desire to scream along at 28-30 plus mph.

This thread is sort of wandering far from the Trek Police Bike Post, perhaps I should move to ??? I don't want to waste anyone's time

Great! I'll be a curious to see how the new motor install goes if you decide to do it. Nice combo with the Bikespeed key and USB plug. Looks very user friendly.

I got this same police bike and have to say that it is a great combination of components that might not get the marketing/sales pitch as other bikes. I lucked out on my test drive. The local dealer had brought one in to sell to the local police, college, small tourist towns etc. I thought it was a great workhorse. Solid positive ride. I like the 29s but have had several flats that have me looking to go tubeless at some point. Other than that no complaints.

I got this same police bike and have to say that it is a great combination of components that might not get the marketing/sales pitch as other bikes. I lucked out on my test drive. The local dealer had brought one in to sell to the local police, college, small tourist towns etc. I thought it was a great workhorse. Solid positive ride. I like the 29s but have had several flats that have me looking to go tubeless at some point. Other than that no complaints.

I have 29" x 2.25" tires on my Yeti ASR-C. I love the lower pressure. I think lower pressure would greatly enhance the ride on an aluminum frame.

I also run my Specialized Diverge as tubeless. To me, tubless is a complete win. You will drop a pound or two from the tube weight. The lighter wheels are, the better. Inserting latex every few months is easy and inexpensive.

Last edited:
Nice ride this morning to clear the mind.

Attachments

• 15346172206548687964828584736498.jpg
    15346172206548687964828584736498.jpg
    4.6 MB · Views: 565
Little update back wheel hub bearing took a crap on me. Took it in for warranty work they honered it and now the wait begins.

How many miles did you have on it? Mine is still pretty fresh, I am on 250 miles and everything working fine.
I've got 700 ish miles on it now if you take the rear wheel off and spin it I could hear some crackling and turned out the wheelebearing was bad which is surprising considering mostly on road riding is what I do.

Attachments

• 15352635486754716785886563831463.jpg
    15352635486754716785886563831463.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 447
Just an FYI, I checked with my local Trek shop last night and they said Trek has moved to a more strict distribution system and won't be selling the Police Electric to civilians any more. At least that's what they have told my local shop. Bummer, really liked the PE and was seriously considering it. From what I can see there doesn't seem to be anything else Trek has that's close to the PE is there?

Just an FYI, I checked with my local Trek shop last night and they said Trek has moved to a more strict distribution system and won't be selling the Police Electric to civilians any more. At least that's what they have told my local shop. Bummer, really liked the PE and was seriously considering it. From what I can see there doesn't seem to be anything else Trek has that's close to the PE is there?
I can confirm. They told me the same here in my local bike shop where I bought mine. Trek won't be selling this bike to civilians any more. They are only selling to Police at this time.

I can confirm. They told me the same here in my local bike shop where I bought mine. Trek won't be selling this bike to civilians any more. They are only selling to Police at this time.

I really hope they see the writing on the wall. Trek really needs to offer a 28 MPH Commuter oriented bike for about 3 K. I have been a Trek fan for decades, but I could not justify a two K loyalty premium when there are so many options out there for less.

Sounds a lot like an xm700+. Very strong headlight, fenders, Bosch Performance Speed motor... retail (at least last spring) $3499. I offered the bike shop $3000 even and they took it for a brand new one. Stole a rack and taillight off one of my other bikes, and 5200 miles later still going strong. Threw some panniers on it and did the whole Erie Canal trip last fall as well. It’s a terrific bike which for some reason gets overlooked a lot.

Sounds a lot like an xm700+. Very strong headlight, fenders, Bosch Performance Speed motor... retail (at least last spring) $3499. I offered the bike shop $3000 even and they took it for a brand new one. Stole a rack and taillight off one of my other bikes, and 5200 miles later still going strong. Threw some panniers on it and did the whole Erie Canal trip last fall as well. It’s a terrific bike which for some reason gets overlooked a lot.

Dave, I agree with you and not because I'm a fellow XM700+ owner : ) I've wondered myself why the XM 700 doesn't get the 'love' some others brands/bikes do ? Perhaps the price point?....But hey, "Ya get what ya pay for " It's boringly reliable, zero problems, tons of fun. I don't get it, but the Police Bike was getting some good 'buzz' and I'm thinking because it combines the best of both styles. MTB and a Class 3

Regarding the Bosch Performance Line Motor in the XM700+ and the Police Motor, my LBS confirmed the motor in both bikes is the same unit...exact same part number.

Back