New trek police bike

I also really like this bike. My LBS has one on the floor but wouldn’t sell it to me. I guess they can’t sell them to the public. Makes no sense to me.

Trek thinks their sxxxxt doesn’t stink. I am growing to dislike Trek more and more each day with ridiculous pricing and the PB policy.

Don’t know if you noticed, their website reviews page for the PB have mostly public reviews with 1 or 2 officer reviews. They did not have the courtesy to remove public reviews after changing their selling policy. Just rub it in why don’t you. My LBS will not comment on the policy, they give a very short almost script like answer just adding to the mess.

Last edited:
Trek thinks their sxxxxt doesn’t stink. I am growing to dislike Trek more and more each day with ridiculous pricing and the PB policy.

Don’t know if you noticed, their website reviews page for the PB have mostly public reviews with 1 or 2 officer reviews. They did not have the courtesy to remove public reviews after changing their selling policy. Just rub it in why don’t you. My LBS will not comment on the policy, they give a very short almost script like answer just adding to the mess.
It really Isn't that big of a deal, Because there are MANY bikes on the market Far better than the Trek police model.

I also really like this bike. My LBS has one on the floor but wouldn’t sell it to me. I guess they can’t sell them to the public. Makes no sense to me.

I had a similar experience with this bike at my LBS. Felt like a big tease for something that I had prepared for, then they just tell you flat out that the policy has changed. I had to ask the question: Are we still talking about an E-bike here? This is not a guns and ammo purchase. Cheesh!

Yeah, I kept an eye out for reviews in the interim also, and noticed this too. Just a few officer owners. I do have to say, they are now experts at talking a potential customer 'OUT of a sale'. Looks like they may need a new boss somewhere that is instituting changes to corporate policy.

I had a similar experience with this bike at my LBS. Felt like a big tease for something that I had prepared for, then they just tell you flat out that the policy has changed. I had to ask the question: Are we still talking about an E-bike here? This is not a guns and ammo purchase. Cheesh!
If you think that's rediculous , try to buy a L.E. edition Dodge Charger from a dealership ! ?. They'll look at you like your head is on Backwards and it might as well be !

If you think that's rediculous , try to buy a L.E. edition Dodge Charger from a dealership ! ?. They'll look at you like your head is on Backwards and it might as well be !

The Trek Police e-Bike is Treks' 2019 Powerfly 5 with the Bosch Performance Line Motor ( Class 3 - 28mph 63 Nm of torque. ) The Stock Powerfly 5 has the Bosch
CX motor ( Class 2- 20mph 75Nm of torque)

The purchasing 'workaround' is to buy the new Trek Powerfly 5 and install a Speedbox 2 dongle https://www.ebiketuning.com/speedbox-bosch-gen2.html
and you'll the 28mph plus 75Nm of torque ...The best of both worlds. ...I have a Trek Powerfly7 ( Class 2- 20mph 75Nm of torque) I installed a Speedbox 2
( 28 mph ) and I could not be happier. I love the bike. It will climb a brick wall.

In essence I have a two year old Trek 'Police Bike' except with 20% more torque and the same top speed. The new Powerfly 5 has the Removable Integrated Battery
which I think is nicer looking then the the Police Battery mount as nice as it is. One last thought, I also have a Trek XM700+ with the same motor as standard on the
Police bike, ( Class 3 - 28mph 63 Nm of torque. ) This bike is fast, but the Powerfly7 with 20% more torque and the same top end is more fun to ride.
Hope this was helpful.

Hello everyone! New member here. Just picked up a demo/scratch&dent 2018 Trek Police eBike in 19.5" Large frame. Just to confirm about restricted sales by Trek distribution warehouses, they do seem to be "publicly" standing to their LE/GOV/SECURITY restrictions on the POLICE bike. I tried to buy a new one last month during Trek's sale and I was denied. The POLICE is the only one with the specs I wanted, and the Commuter 8+ was too much $$$ and had was not really an off-road capable bike.

So as karma/synchronicity works, I stopped in to my LBS to pick up a new pair of gloves. I was told that they had a used police demo scratch/dent with 240 miles on it. Local po-po was evaluating it. I was able to buy it at $3k with full warranty. Snagged it!

Really like it so far! I am a 53yo Clydesdale rider at 280# (lost over 80# so far, still workin' it), so the rigid frame and Performance Speed motor was the main sale points. I also liked that the brake rotors are larger (I think 203's) and the Interchange rack. Added a Large Deluxe rear rack bag and side-open water bottle cage to the sale. I live in a very hilly town, right on the outskirts of the Blue Ridge Mountains and Skyline Drive in Virginia, so the eBike was a must for me. I just can't do some of these hills yet without walking it up (slow...)

I first got my taste of electric bikes with a Fuji Sanibel eBike Cruiser I bout for $850 when Performance was closing our local store. I was skeptical that a battery bike would perform with a big rider like me, and how long the battery would last. The Fuji is an AWESOME bike for what it is! Super impressed with how it handled by bulk, and how many compliments I got from people at the University here about its looks and style. But with a 250w Bafang rear, and MTB in my blood since a child racing BMX, the Cruiser was not what I wanted long-term. I watched bazillions of reviews, lots of "electricbikereview" videos, and decided my best AFFORDABLE option was the Trek POLICE. Now I have one!

I also bought several years ago a Trek Stache 7 29+ MTB, made custom Clyde wheels for it, added things like 4-piston Shimano XT brakes, but it just never fit me well and I felt to jammed up on it, not very confident either. So I am going to look at any parts and components I can swap out from the Stache and then sell it. I'm hoping the 29+ BOOST wheelset will fit the POLICE, but I don't think it will (bummer!). The Shimano 6000 brakes are pretty good, but I think the new XT 4-pistons will go on it. Maybe move over the dropper, but I'm not sure I need it on this mild-offroad capable bike. At 53yo, my bones won't survive a downhill bomb run if I crash, but sure would be fun to do it, if I knew I would not wreck.

So anyways, that is my POLICE addition to this thread. Great ideas from many members on this bike! I plan to investigate many as I progress in my mods and mileage. If anyone has an cool upgrade parts for this Trek POLICE/PowerFly that are sitting around the shop, message me with details & costs. See you around the forums!

Rmplstlskn

Hello everyone! New member here. Just picked up a demo/scratch&dent 2018 Trek Police eBike in 19.5" Large frame. Just to confirm about restricted sales by Trek distribution warehouses, they do seem to be "publicly" standing to their LE/GOV/SECURITY restrictions on the POLICE bike. I tried to buy a new one last month during Trek's sale and I was denied. The POLICE is the only one with the specs I wanted, and the Commuter 8+ was too much $$$ and had was not really an off-road capable bike.

So as karma/synchronicity works, I stopped in to my LBS to pick up a new pair of gloves. I was told that they had a used police demo scratch/dent with 240 miles on it. Local po-po was evaluating it. I was able to buy it at $3k with full warranty. Snagged it!

Really like it so far! I am a 53yo Clydesdale rider at 280# (lost over 80# so far, still workin' it), so the rigid frame and Performance Speed motor was the main sale points. I also liked that the brake rotors are larger (I think 203's) and the Interchange rack. Added a Large Deluxe rear rack bag and side-open water bottle cage to the sale. I live in a very hilly town, right on the outskirts of the Blue Ridge Mountains and Skyline Drive in Virginia, so the eBike was a must for me. I just can't do some of these hills yet without walking it up (slow...)

I first got my taste of electric bikes with a Fuji Sanibel eBike Cruiser I bout for $850 when Performance was closing our local store. I was skeptical that a battery bike would perform with a big rider like me, and how long the battery would last. The Fuji is an AWESOME bike for what it is! Super impressed with how it handled by bulk, and how many compliments I got from people at the University here about its looks and style. But with a 250w Bafang rear, and MTB in my blood since a child racing BMX, the Cruiser was not what I wanted long-term. I watched bazillions of reviews, lots of "electricbikereview" videos, and decided my best AFFORDABLE option was the Trek POLICE. Now I have one!

I also bought several years ago a Trek Stache 7 29+ MTB, made custom Clyde wheels for it, added things like 4-piston Shimano XT brakes, but it just never fit me well and I felt to jammed up on it, not very confident either. So I am going to look at any parts and components I can swap out from the Stache and then sell it. I'm hoping the 29+ BOOST wheelset will fit the POLICE, but I don't think it will (bummer!). The Shimano 6000 brakes are pretty good, but I think the new XT 4-pistons will go on it. Maybe move over the dropper, but I'm not sure I need it on this mild-offroad capable bike. At 53yo, my bones won't survive a downhill bomb run if I crash, but sure would be fun to do it, if I knew I would not wreck.

So anyways, that is my POLICE addition to this thread. Great ideas from many members on this bike! I plan to investigate many as I progress in my mods and mileage. If anyone has an cool upgrade parts for this Trek POLICE/PowerFly that are sitting around the shop, message me with details & costs. See you around the forums!

Rmplstlskn

Congratulations! I hope you will love the bike. I have had it for just about a year, put 2200 miles on it. My bike shop only replaced the chain and brake pads at 2k miles. It's been working great.

P1230235.JPG

Rmplstlskn
Way to go! You are one of the lucky ones to find it on a scratch and dent. Nice mods you are making. I have the 4 piston Magura brakes on my EMTB and they have incredible stopping power. Nice upgrade for the POLICE with the speed motor. Please keep us posted with any more updates you may have.

I'm picking the Police bike up today! I'll keep you posted.

I'll also be adding a Bosch Nyon color, center-mounted screen with discrete remote. I ordered the Nyon retrofit kit for $355 from Merlin Cycles in the United Kingdom. Swapping out the Purion controller seems to require removing the drive unit for the cable run (video: https://www.e-bikeshop.co.uk/Bosch-eBike-Support), which I'll likely seek help with rather than DIY.

The Nyon is apparently not offered in the United States and so yes, I'm a little concerned about warranty. But its plug and play, so I don't actually agree that warranty should be affected - even though it may be.

I'll also be swapping the seat and seatpost with a bontrager gel and a bodyfloat 2.1 once I determine how long the seatpost needs to be.
I have a Nyon Computer for three years, moved it from a xm700 to the police ebike. Recently Bosch made the eBikeConnect on the iPhone App Store for free. I had my Nyon computer linked by WiFi to Bosch for maps and upgraded. When I rode my Police Ebike into my garage it automatically downloaded data and maps of all my rides from both bikes for the last three years, 18 items in maps and graphs for over a 100 rides in Arizona and Wyoming, even the percent of power assist for each ride. You should try it, I think Bosch has an Android app.

I can control lights tied to the Bosch motor wiring and has a connection to charge a phone, there are a few functions you can buy through the app, but I haven’t downloaded them.

Rmplstlskn
Rmplstlskn, How is the POLICE bike going? Did you make the modes and swap out to 4 pistons? Would like to see a pic or 2 if you have any. Sounds like a winner! Cheers! ;)

I have been very happy with mine so far. I have had it for two months now and put just a little over 700 miles on it.
Did a couple of upgrades:
- Schwalbe Marathon Almotion 29x2.0 tubeless tires
- Front and rear fenders
- Hardwired lights NIP 500
- Pedal soft covers (for riding barefoot)
- Cargo bags

View attachment 26028 View attachment 26027

View attachment 26029 View attachment 26026

View attachment 26030 View attachment 26033

View attachment 26031 View attachment 26032
Do you happen to recall what fenders you put on your bike? Thanks.

Hi there, I’m new to the group. I have been looking for a new ebike and was at my LBS this past week and I came across the Trek Police ebike. It’s like the best of all worlds. I was offered a price of $3450. My question is this, do you think that’s a fair price? I know the bike is a 2018 or 2019 model year but this bike is new and they’re not willing to sell it to just anyone. I’ve bought many bikes from this shop over the years including my iZip E3 Sumo e-fat bike. That price is firm. Should I buy it?

Attachments

• F7D39464-2730-4FB5-93C0-39B419767ED5.jpeg
    F7D39464-2730-4FB5-93C0-39B419767ED5.jpeg
    422.9 KB · Views: 320
  • 8325B880-F13F-41F9-A512-C3CB2BF3CA28.jpeg
    8325B880-F13F-41F9-A512-C3CB2BF3CA28.jpeg
    423.5 KB · Views: 329
Hi there, I’m new to the group. I have been looking for a new ebike and was at my LBS this past week and I came across the Trek Police ebike. It’s like the best of all worlds. I was offered a price of $3450. My question is this, do you think that’s a fair price? I know the bike is a 2018 or 2019 model year but this bike is new and they’re not willing to sell it to just anyone. I’ve bought many bikes from this shop over the years including my iZip E3 Sumo e-fat bike. That price is firm. Should I buy it?
My only concern would be the health of the battery as it is already 2+ years old. If the LBS gives you the full manufacturers replacement warranty for the battery then that solves that worry

Last edited:
Back